Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nathaniel had been practicing the Bind Spirit and Fetish Rite, and felt comfortable enough casting them. Combined the two rites could be integral in foiling the Pure and the malicious spirit leading them- or at least, that's what he thought. So after a day of managing the garage's paperwork, he waited until all the other workers had cleared out before speaking to Emily.

He carried several basic ritual components in his backpack- chalk and cheap chiminage mostly- as well as sketches of those symbols used for the rites, and his journal. Notes on ways to improve their chances, and dates where the crescent moon would show, were also present.

He hoped the two could make a plan to present to the Alpha. If nothing else, it might be good to check in on his sister.

@%1;
    Xadun

Presence
    (Confident)
    Contacts
    (Clubs, Street)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Site
    (Makerith Motors)
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Notes

Emily has several tattoos:
    - a sleeve of vines and flowers starting on her right shoulder and ending at her wrist
    - a collection of stars on her left wrist, tapering up her arm
    - flowers on her right foot around her ankle
    - A crescent moon on her left shoulderblade

+1
    SL
    PRE

Emily rolls out slowly from under a large jeep, oil covering her face. "Well, that's that done. But you can stay there, pain in the ass," She mutters to the SUV.

Looking around, the renovations provided a lot more space. Hell, there was even proper offices now. She had an office. It was so great.

Yawning loudly, The Ithaeur slouches over to the office, pulls our a beer from the mini-fridge and uncrews the top, drinking quickly. Leaning on the doorframe she spots Nathaniel still hanging around. "Hey, buddy. What's up? Business or pleasure? Or, like, something else?" She casts an eye around, making sure eveyone else had left.
    Ithaeur Iron Master, Primal Urge 2

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nathaniel did a check of his own alongside, and once he was certain....

The words came a mile a minute. "I know how to bind spirits. I taught myself how- used old notes from my Mentor and copied the circles and glyphs over and over and over again until I got it right." For several long days and nights. "But more than that. I think I know how to lock them up- make Fetishes out of them. Saw him do it a few times, looked over the notes, and tried it a bunch. Not with real spirits, just mock ups until I was sure I'd done it right." He'd currently been working on trying to create a minor Fetish, a Protective Charm, to test whether he had a full grasp.

"We need to stop the Pure. When the pack met up at the Tur, I suggested something improbable. But this isn't, right? If we find a way to convince their Spirit to come to us, and bind it, and lock it up permanently, we can cripple them. Then strike while they're weak." He finally took a moment to take a few breaths and calm down, his speech slowing to normal.

"It's an option. And if the two of us work together to bind it..." She knew more about Rites than Nathaniel did. Had been here longer. If this plan was plausible, she'd know better than him.

"Ah... So... Yeah. What do you think?" He took a moment to clear his throat and pulled out his Wolf journal, flipping to diagrams of Rite circles.

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Contacts
    (Clubs, Street)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Site
    (Makerith Motors)
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Notes

- a sleeve of vines and flowers starting on her right shoulder and ending at her wrist

+1
    SL
    PRE

Emily indulges in one of her favourite upgrades to the garage - automatic doors - as she lisens to Nathaniel spew his idea all over her brain.

"Woah, woah... slow down, Nate..." the Crescent says, rubbing her eyes - and smearing more oil over her face. Her brain tries to process what he just said. "Fetishes... Binding..." a few words jar over her heart. "Wait, what?!" She gawks at him. "Steal and bind a Totem spirit? Fuck. Urgh...." she shivers. "Jeez, that's savage. That.. that is not what I imagined you to come out with here, buddy." She drains the rest of her bottle quickly, and leans back on the doorframe.

Emily watches Nathaniel carefully. "Tricking and trapping spirits is real brute-force stuff - it's not my go-to just because I know how. Spirits and wolves - we work on rep. That's basically all reknown is - You know that. The more we have, the more likely a spirit will notice us and pay attendBut if, say, someone took Necessary Guile from us, you reckon that would stop Matt or Brigit from tearing someone's face off?" And that was jus tthe first objection. The words aren't delivered harshly, just a bit tiredly.

She scratches her head. "Okay, well, I guess it, uh,... depends on what the notes said, huh? Lets break this down, yeah? Lets, um.... let's talk fetishes first. What did they say? And I'll try and spot any blanks." The Crescent sips her second beer and begins rolling a cigarette.

Please god don't be "I was left an instruction kit without the warning labels on". Full-on Doctor Strange shit. Put the warnings before the spell, guys. Fuck.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

Emily didn't quite seem as enthusiastic about all this to Nathaniel, though she did seem to bring up a good point...

"It's a totem spirit, right- but it's also a threat. It's roped the Pure into something that can't be good. I know it's not the cleanest way to go about it, and I know it won't stop the Pure. But if we coordinate and time it well..." If the Pure were all of a sudden severed from their Totem, and the boons it provided, and attacked shortly after.... "We could try to negotiating I suppose- I just um... Thought things were beyond such measures."

Then she asked about notes. Nathaniel nods and pulls his out, sliding them her way, reciting some of the basics. "Spirits can be called and bound via a ritual circle, or with silver thread in some instances. Once bound, a condition of escape must be presented- and unless this is met or the circle broken, the Spirit can't escape." That was the gist of the Bind Spirit Rite. "The Fetish Rite can be conducted shortly after- the item must be in place before the binding. You go through the normal routine of burning chiminage, and then describe what the Fetish will do. All of this is more difficult with any particularly hostile spirit, and a bad vessel for storage." The former was inevitable, the latter could be worked with. "And if an angry spirit is locked away, the Fetish can slowly become corrupted." That's why you tossed the cursed item in a safe and never touched it again.

Nathaniel showed her a page with a complex sketch of circles on it. "My mentor used a double-layered circle. The inner circle was for the Bind Spirit rite, the outer for the Fetish rite."

A smile as he showed his work. "Ah- and I know there's a Lodge of crescents out there that do this same thing. Binding and Trapping evil spirits in Fetishes. That's where I got the idea in the first place...." So it wasn't an original thought. "Um... I just thought this might be a good way to initiate driving them off. And if the Spirit leads them, it might make them reckless- easier to trap. Cut off the head...."

7. Likes Xadun liked this post
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Contacts
    (Clubs, Street)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Site
    (Makerith Motors)
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Notes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Emily finishes rolling her cigarette, and pops it behind one ear. There's a twinkle in in her eyes. "You sound so sure it's a threat. So sure that it's the Totem dragging the Pure along. How do you know? Why isn't it the other way around?" Her tone is one of genuine curiosity, like she wants to hear his reasons.

She picks up the notes, and chuckles. "I know how to bind a spirit, kiddo." There wasn't much between their ages really, but sometimes she felt so much older than him. It was strange. The Crescent gives him a tired smile, then looks at the notes. "Okay. So... it does tell you about the whole bad side of that. That was kinda what I was worried about. We're meant to balance the spirit and material worlds. Sure that might mean kicking spirit butt once in a while, but deliberately going out and trapping spirits.... That's a slippery slope, man." The pages looked about right, if she could decipher the chicken-scratch writing.

"Think about it. Spirits are a community. We start beating up a spirit just because it's working with someone else, probably still acting within that nature? There's fallout from that. Spirits will turn against us. And the boons a pack gets from a Totem are small fry, really, depending on the bond between the pack and the totem, and the spirit's power." She takes a swig from the bottle. "Lodges are interesting but they also incorporate some of the most extreme views there are. And that right there, that last thing you said - is exactly my point. IF the spirit leads them. You don't know that. The Pure lock away and force spirits in the way you're saying all the time. You're assuming the spirit is making them fight, when it could easily be bound to the pack by force. Or a spirit of war, acting in it's nature. And you're saying let's shove it in a box."

The second beer is finished, and Emily heads back out of the office. "Honestly Nathaniel, it sounds a bit extreme, especially coming from you. I understand finding different ways to help... it's just.... well, it's very.... 'ends justify the means' thinking." The Iron Master heads for the stairs up to the apartment above.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

And as things had usually gone when Nathaniel went into a discussion with someone more experienced than him, his expectations were somewhat mushed and his words at a loss. One of these days he'd hopefully learn.

"Well... If it's working with the Pure it can't be good right? It has to know, right? And as a Totem spirit... We didn't get to see what they were going to do in the temple but you saw what it looked like in the Shadow... If the Pure were involved..." As he spoke any justifications were beginning to falter. In truth he DIDN'T know whether the Spirit was the ringleader. He'd just sort of assumed...

Then at the chuckle, and the lesson, the crescent's cheeks turned crimson from embarrassment and annoyance, as if he were being lectured by his Mentor again. She was right. He stayed mostly silent and followed her upstairs, biting his lip. Then those last words. Were the views that extreme?... They hadn't seemed such when he was learning. Granted, as Emily had already expressed long prior, his induction into his current Tribe perhaps wasn't as voluntary as he'd thought, and his teacher had omitted much in the opening pitch.

But, he wanted to at least take a crack at defending his views. Might as well dig that hole deeper. And for a second, his tone turned a tad serious. "I like spirits. But I didn't think I could reason with it... It's sided with the Pure. Sides with Zealots..." A scratch behind his head, the tone giving way to uncertainty. "I just... Thought it would come to that. I thought the worst would happen. Thought we'd have to use a big stick instead of a carrot...Ok, yeah... You have a point." The pup hung his head lightly for a bit to hide the fact that he'd completely blundered again.

He looked back up at Emily with some goofy half-smile "Do you think we could reason with it?..." That initial spark of optimism again. Even so...

10. Likes Hades_Roses, Xadun liked this post
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Contacts
    (Clubs, Street)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Site
    (Makerith Motors)
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Notes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Emily smiled. In her minds eye she was stood in this exact place with bubblegum pink hair asking an old man exactly the same question. "Lemme ask you something. If, say, a fire spirit if fed by a Pure pack and becomes powerful enough to spread fires, and they just point it at a Foresaken territory and say, "Go nuts", is the spirit good or evil? Is it working for the Pure, or acting within it's nature and being manipulated?" It's not delivered harshly, just simply, like this was a debate. She begins pulling off her overalls.

Ah, yes. Taking sides. It really was like looking at herself several years ago. It made her smile, in some ways it reminded her how far she had come. "That temple spirit is another great example. It was fucking with the spirit before we caught wind of the Pure. Now, maybe that pack was behind Bell Tolls, or maybe they just lept on the badwagon because it was a spirit acting with it's nature in a way that fucked up our bit of the Gauntlet. We just don't know."

The Crescent claps her auspice-mate reassuringly on the shoulder and starts up the stairs. "Nate, you're a smart cookie. Way smarter than I was at your age, believe me, and you've got the brands to prove it. But... Wisdom isn't the only way. Just because we can doesn't mean we should." She rolls her shoulders. "That's the thing about really smart guys, I hear. They get so caught up in if a thing can be done they forget what might happen when they do. Lucky for you I'm not that smart." she waggles her eyebrows.

The apartment looks... surprisingly organised compared to other visits. Sure, there's an unemptied ashtray on the table and there is a lingering scent of smoke, but it's also mixed in with something like... scented candles? "Take a seat," She waves at the lounge idly, poking her head in her bedroom (which still looks like a clothes explosion) before dropping into a chair with her leg hanging over the arm. "Where were we? Ah, yeah. Reason." She scratches her head, but gives Nate a smile, before pulling the cigarette from back behind her ear and lighting it. "Now you're thinking. Honestly? Maybe. Dunno. All depends on the relationship they have with the spirit. You know more than I do about how individual spirits can be." She takes a long drag on the cigarette. "Ahhhh.... okay. I think I've got you on the box thing, but here's one last question about it - one I want you to really think about, because it's a lot about what make the People who they are." And that was it, wasn't it? Because of his training, Nate had got a very slanted idea of what the People actually were, and knew spirits more than his own kind. She swings her leg around and leans forward on her knees, watching him with pale blue eyes. "Why do you think most packs don't lock their badass enemy heckin' chonky spirit bois into Fetish Boxes to corrupt and fester? They either kick seven bells out of them or cut off their flow of power from the material so they become weaker. Why do you think they do that?" She goes to drink frm her beer bottle and notices it's empty. "Damn. Oh, I'll give you a clue. Its something I have that you don't." She crossed her hands over her boobs. "Spiritually speaking."

12. Likes Yumyumcrow, Hades_Roses liked this post

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

His Mentor would likely have delivered this lesson in less welcome conditions, with a more criticizing tone... So there was that. But the lesson sill brought up many annoying memories.

"But if their nature-" He promptly shut up as she continued speaking.

She sunk her words deeper with the idea of 'being able to do something' not meaning they should. That was a somewhat novel lesson- his Mentor hadn't been best on the topic of restraint, and hearing Emily accurately and rather bluntly describe his ideas and perceptions on the matter caused the pup to grow an even deeper shade of red.

He did as Emily said and sat down and continued to listen. When she asked what was important, and what she had that Nathaniel didn't... Nathaniel thought about it a bit, biting his lip more than once. "Um... A spirit in your Garage?..." That was the only answer he could come up with, given his currently flabbergasted state of mind. Everything was still reeling as he looked over past views, questioning what he'd been taught on Spirits for likely the first time in a long time.

He wasn't really angry- He'd learned pretty early on that being a stubborn punk didn't work very well.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Contacts
    (Clubs, Street)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Site
    (Makerith Motors)
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Notes

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Aw, come on, don't be bashful bud!" Emily ribs playfully at the blushing Bone Shadow. "I asked exactly the same things about binding spirits and making fetishes when I was a kid. Why not just box up our big bads and throw them away? I just did with someone that was a bit less... single-minded than who taught you." There was more than one way to skin a Bashilu, after all.

The answer he gives makes the punk laugh. "Bahahah! Nahhh. It's not a spirit, but it's totally spiritual. I'll give you another guess, and here's another clue - this is something any wolf can get. Some wolves even get some based on who there are, and the tribe they swear to." She takes another drag on the cigarette, grinning.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread