Ended
Watch

Guess Who I Saw Today

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    S
    Shodan

At first, the name doesn't ring a bell. Obvious signs of effort appear on the Libertine's forehead as he restlessly turns the spoon in his coffee cup, trying to remember where has he heard that name. Admittedly, not much comes out of it - when he did hear about the vinyl, he had much more pressing concerns than Awakened history, even recent history.

So, Abacus wants a grimoire. Well, the man was Mysterium.

success on 2nd attempt
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-01-13 00:09:31 Shodan rolls 5 to (Int + Occ) Dark Mysteries?, subs. att (10 Again) 8, 8, 9, 5, 1 3 successes
    2020-01-13 00:09:01 Shodan rolls 6 to (Int + Occ) Dark Mysteries? (10 Again) 3, 4, 1, 7, 3, 5 failure

"I can try and sniff around. I heard you can learn a lot from music like that. What do you know about it?" If, and underscore the word if he's going to do this, the Prime Mover needs all the clues he can get "More importantly, what do you need it for?"

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-01-13 00:17:30 Shodan rolls 6 to Spot deception (Comp + Subterfuge + WP) (10 Again, WillPower) 7, 10, 3, 5, 4, 3, 8 2 successes

It's not that he distrusted Abacus, no. But something tells him getting this thing will involve stepping on some toes. It's doable, the Obrimos just prefers to have the full picture first.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

le BUMP
    Hiver Abacus

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

"European heavy metal trying to shoot Sleepers out of a cannon and into a mystery play. Apparently, the Devil gave them their Awakening."

That's not how it worked, but it's what they believed. He couldn't recall --which shocked him, truly-- the name of the producer or the individual mages themselves. But he knew this was a grimoire meant to cajole sleepers into Awakening and then saddle up with the Libertines in the process.

He knew there was Council spellwork on that vinyl disc. Powerful chronomancy. The kind of thing he needed to navigate the present with almost perfect hindsight. His calculations would be sublime. He would be more than just the Quantum Logician. He would truly become the Psychohistorian.

He would be able to entertain the Eleventh Question in a way no other could. It needed to be his.

"I'm looking for vision. This will help me attain it. I can already feel the weight of forking paths, the weight it carries in places, things, and people. This will let me see the forking paths. All of them."

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-01-16 10:27:33 Abacus rolls 6 to Remember (Dark Revolution Content) (10 Again) 8, 2, 6, 6, 6, 9 2 successes

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2020-01-16 10:30:13 Abacus rolls 6 to Discern Intentions (Wits + Empathy) (10 Again) 8, 5, 7, 8, 1, 5 2 successes
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    S
    Shodan

Shodan frowns at the injudicious use of mage terminology. Sure, the chatter around them and the slight 'off culture' vibes might protect them a bit, but it's folly to rely solely on Sleeper deafness. Besides, if there are Guardians lurking about, they might drag both their hides for being indiscreet like that, just to make a point.

Still, he cannot hide his interest growing with each piece of information on this mysterious vinyl. It all sounds very... campy, but at the same time like something some Free Council cabal might actually pull off. Abacus will note an unusual degree of focus on Shodan's face, as if he wants to catch every word and analyze it in the context of tone and expression.

"Very good. I will start digging and let you know what I found" No promise is made yet, and this is a matter of honesty - he cannot pledge to give this thing to him, if it's as rare as Abacus has described it to be "In the meantime, do you plan to involve yourself back in the city? Anything else I could help you with?" Cabalmates they may no longer be, but the mystagogue was solid, and thus worth assisting, if he wanted.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

"When something of note arises, it is statistically likely that I will be in some way present. As to how, when, and why, are variables continually in flux until route is chosen. I could check, but I'd rather not waste the resources on reassuring you that I'll be here for a while."

Abacus returned the ambiguity. Shodan wasn't promising him anything. It was nothing personal. It was simply the way things were. Either way, he had his attention, and that was all he needed to set something into motion.
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

S
    Shodan

The talk of variables and fluctuating routes sounds more like something you can expect from an Enchanter, but it sounded... cold. To be honest, however, Shodan himself did little to make the meeting more emotion-driven so it's probably nothing to worry about and maybe things will evolve over time.

"I'll take it as saying that you'll be okay on your own" He says, finishing his coffee and taking the last bite of the pastry "So, I think that's it for today? Unless something else is on your mind?"

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

"How are your projects faring? It's been a while, but I remember your neural network concept. Any progress?"
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

S
    Shodan

"Actually, yes" Shodan answers, with his mood visibly improving "Skill-wise there are three basic components to this thing: how minds work to know what to emulate, how matter works to get the physical frame and how energy works to power it all up. I am proud to note I improved in these areas, and I'm on the brink of mastering the energy flow" The need for secrecy and the need to boast fight within him, and this is the best middle ground he can come up with.

"But skill is not everything. I'll eventually need people willing to work with me on this in the scientific community, which I will take care of myself, and I'll need funding. Like, lots of cash. Any ideas for venues to invest in?" He figured if there was anyone he knows to give him this advice, it will be Abacus. Campanella seemed well-off, but his aura was more of a museum curator than a business-linked person.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

PRE

"Dump some change into Xero, Afterpay, or Altium. All three wouldn't hurt either. They're top performers in the tech industry with plans to expand internationally if they haven't done so already."

Give him six minutes, a number three pencil, and a medium roast coffee, and Abacus could have the account set up. Give him seven, and it would be flooded with cash. Savvy investing trickled down from the manic mind of a Mastigos. What could possibly go right?
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

11. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    S
    Shodan

Xero. Afterpay. Altium. He's heard of them, of course, a technophile like Shodan could recite the names of software companies big and small as easily as the names of his family members, but he's never thought of them as investment opportunities. Probably because when it comes to numbers, he was most familiar with 'ones' and 'zeroes' on a computer screen. Stock charts held a whole other set of sorcerous tricks.

"Thanks. I really appreciate it. It's been good to catch up, but I think I have a certain vinyl to fish out. Unless I'm needed for anything else?"

He was eager to get on that mystery, but not eager enough to storm out of the cafe like some rude mercenary asshole.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 17

You do not have permission to view the list of names.