Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

"Heh! To be expected. Good. Uh... Lets to it, then?"

Anatole laid down his plate, licked his fingers, then produced a handkerchief which he used to wipe his mouth and hands.

"I have no fear, Dread King. This is an opportunity and I want a place to stay for a while. Good to know exactly where I stand."

Freedom was a privilege. It was also banal and... infuriating. Since his Durance, Anatole had craved the certainties that pledges could bring - another element of distant Arcadia that he could never wipe away.
    Rhodes Xadun Bugul Stray

Public: Bartholomew Bishop
    Hob Kin
    Resources
    New Identity
    Bugul

Mien
    Bugul's face is goat-like, as are his ears and short horns reminiscent of the same beast adorn his head. He is covered in rough fur, gray in color. His facial hair is more apparent, with his mustache growing think beneath his goat-like nose and the stubble on his chin growing longer like a billy goat beard. Woody vines grow from his scalp and forearms evidencing that this being is no mere Beast, but something else as well. He looks upon the world with clear blue, goatlike eyes and walks on the earth with cloven hooves.

PRE

Bugul wouldn't give the one who had likened his arrival to an actor the satisfaction of returning her gaze.

He felt it, of course, how could he not?

In other circumstances he would have been flattered, this Titania was lovely, but Bugul felt no need to be apologetic given the way things were. Thus, he settled with giving the Fair Woman the cold shoulder and focused his attention on the genial Dread Lord before him.

As Rhodes asked his question, the Goat slowly shook his head, woody vines shifting audibly in the forest that was his mane.

"I was unclear," he admits, noting his own failing as he stepped aside with the two men... "I intend to remain, but Changing of the Seat is a thing that affects the Courts. I will depart the gathering after the Seat is passed because the business that comes after rarely affects those who lack... affiliation. I have come to make myself known and pay respect to your established system, but the business of your Courts is not my concern beyond the understanding of whom is dominant."

A thin smile hits his lips as Rhodes asks the pair to join in a vow.

"Even here we are bound," he offers, his tone gentle, "Speak your vow, I will accept my place in it. Our place in this World demands oaths if we are to remain. In this, I am aware."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord nods to Anatole, satisfied. "Such reassurances should work both ways, Anatole. And I quite agree, Bugul, and understand your position. Should you wish to learn more of the Courts, I liketo think I can offer what information you might seek.... second to those of that brand, of course."

So nice to meet people with civilised sensibilities.

The Fairest clears his throat. "I have found it best if I lay out the rules clear, before swearing. So there are no hidden surprises, and because failure to seal a pledge can be highly inconvenient." He looks from one to the other and the winds rustle with barely distinguishable whispers. "So, I propose a simple Vow, to avoid overly forthright information. The condition will be intentionally causing the physical harm of a member of the Freehold of Sacramento, sworn by all of us for a turn of the seasons. We have so many transients in this city, a functional Freehold Pledge is next to impossible to maintain, and I have give the matter considerable thought and study. I'm missing something..... ah yes. A simple boon of financial support is so useful when establishing oneself in a new locale, and I always have a use. To an Oathbreaker, a curse upon their actions."

The Flowering twists an errant bud emerging at his cuff and pinches it with a sharp nail on long, pale fingers.

"If you have any serious objections, please, say now, or I will put that into language far more fitting a Pledge."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole's eyes narrowed as he listened intently to Rhodes' words.

A puff of air burst through the effusive white froth of his beard; teeth flashed from within a nest of white curls.

"Sounds fair enough to me. I accept."

Hob Kin
    Resources
    New Identity
    Bugul

Mien
    Bugul's face is goat-like, as are his ears and short horns reminiscent of the same beast adorn his head. He is covered in rough fur, gray in color. His facial hair is more apparent, with his mustache growing think beneath his goat-like nose and the stubble on his chin growing longer like a billy goat beard. Woody vines grow from his scalp and forearms evidencing that this being is no mere Beast, but something else as well. He looks upon the world with clear blue, goatlike eyes and walks on the earth with cloven hooves.

PRE

"I am aware of the Courts," The Goatman affirms as Rhodes offers to provide some education, "My place beyond their spheres is not from lack of experience."

Bugul was listening, but another voice drew his attention as the Dread Lord began his conclusion.

Beastly eyes found the source easily enough, it was that Titania girl again. Bugul half expected to be annoyed, but instead found himself lured to the content of the woman's words. Despite their less-than-stellar first experience of each other, she spoke with sound reason and Bugul found himself nodding half-consciously to her statements. A quiet respect settled into his features before Anatole's reply drew him back to his own conversation and resting his gaze back upon Rhodes.

The glance holds for a long moment as thoughts tick slowly along in the Goatman's brain before he finally shakes his head.

"I object, Rhodes,"
    he says, his tone gentle and low, "There is a wisdom in Titania's words. If you choose to accept Anatole based on his Mantle, that is your business. He shares your Season. I do not. Caution for my kind is necessary, as some are vipers. You cannot hope for security by offering me leniency."

He ponders for a moment longer, giving the two Autumn courtiers before him time to consider his words.

"I ask that you craft something deeper," he concludes, "Then, when my roots are strong and nourished, we can rest easy and make amendments."

6. Likes Xadun, Yumyumcrow, liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Dread Lord nods as Bugul outlines his position regarding the Courts. "I see." It was an indifference to the Fairest. Still, he similarly inclines his head to Anatole's response.

As the Goat-man seems to listen to another thought, those of the star-studded Fairest, the Autumn Sovereign watches passively, though the winds twist quickly at the familiar use of his name. "This has nothing to do with Mantle," he replies, measuring his words. "I do not use pledges of this kind on Mantle for the precise reason that some come our way without one. The security, I thought, would be clear - by swearing a Pledge with me, I work to ensuring the Freehold's protection from unknowns, namely yourselves, no disrespect intended. This is not leniency - it does not bind the others of this Freehold from against you, thus you would be at a disadvantage to them." The Dread Lord pauses, thinking. "Consider it a trial of faith - those members here have sworn pledges over time that has allowed trust to form, and worked to aid and protect this Freehold from those that may those within it ill. It not even-handed, I do not pretend it to be. But it ensures our security from you, protects you from myself, and allows you to integrate yourselves. Any pledges you make between others are yours alone."

The Fairest nods, finding himself also agreeing with some of Titanias thoughts. Strange times, that the flighty Spring should offer such thoughts. "Of course, if you wished this arrangement by a deeper, more binding pact, on names, perhaps, with harsher punishment, give me a moment, and I can craft something you may find more stable."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole stayed quiet.

His eyes, narrowed again, shifted between the Elemental and the Fairest. In fact his posture was subtly changing - to one of a deeper respect for Bugul.

Walking into a Coronation and asking for a more potent Pledge because he believed his Courtless status might be an issue with the locals. That was... Stones... Right there.

9. Likes liked this post

Hob Kin
    Resources
    New Identity
    Bugul

Mien

PRE

Bugul gave an amused huff, a small smile crossing his lips.

"I may have spent most of my life on the Other Side," he says, "but I've be free long enough to know the Mantle means something even when we feel it doesn't. I bear the scars to prove it. Helps you place someone's loyalty if nothing else."

The Dread Lord's other words prompted some pause for thought, however. Bugul slowly nodded as the Flowering explained others would not be bound against causing him harm or grief.

"Then I will work to be of use if it allows me to continue my path,"
    the Goatman replied, "I cannot force you to write a deeper pledge, but I am willing to consider it given my deficiency. If you will not, then I ask you to grant me a promise. Should you find something that you feel I can assist with, leave a letter for me here at Funderland. In my time among the Great Beasts of my story, I served as a tracker, but I have grown to push branches into lore, mundane craftsmanship, and some medicine."

Bugul shifted slightly. Telling people his capabilities seemed... desperate, but he had to ensure this figure, prominent as he seemed, understood his use. All the better to clear his debt with the man quickly.

"If you accept this promise, I will agree to the pledge as it is, even if I feel it is too lenient," Bugul concluded, his hand extending to seal the offer informally before they pursue the more formal wording of the pledge.

11. Likes , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Gold leaves dance leisurely in the air of haunting winds of the Atumn King's mantle. The Dread Lord watches Bugul with curiousity, a half-smirk on his lips. This is a bold one - but respectful and of sound thought.

"You wish for a more heavy restriction? That can be arranged." The tone is one of wry amusement. "True Names expose us much to each other I do not wish to give, and the the name of one's keeper is no threat to a hiding Loyalist... but a Higher Power, the source of each of our drives and motivations, I could do. Break, and our will is stolen, and one's hold on one's clarity is shaken, in addition to the curse we imbue." He takes the goat-man's hand. "Or the favour owed, to be called in, with a promise. The former is not yours alone, however. We are not the only two in the pledge."

He looks to the dwarf. "Anatole, would you be willing to accept such a change to the pledge? A deepening from a simple to vow to that on which you hold dear?"

Rhodes is proposing to swear on the Name of a Higher Power, as described here.
    Sorry this is taking longer than planned, but it's certainly interesting for me!

13. Likes , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole remained quiet at first.

His eyes were still narrowed and they swerved back from the Elemental to the Fairest with a silent ferocity. Teeth showed from amid the effusive curls and fluffy whorls of the dwarf's beard.

"Of course. Why not. I mean no ill intent. So... Let it be I say."

Anatole extended his hand to receive the reworded Pledge. The smile yet remained brittle. And dangerous.

Its all good

15. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread