Ended
Watch

The Occult Club - Dreams and Omens

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    S
    Shodan

So far Abacus has failed to do so much as acknowledge Shodan's presence, and the Mighty can only hope it is because of the need for discretion. Maybe he wants a way to quickly disengage. Maybe he figures even superficial known links can lead these others to finding out about the more esoteric ones.

The Obrimos does allow himself a slight smile as his former cabalmate talks of omens. Acanthus. Of course he'll be able toi control the discussion about signs of Fate more.

And on the topic of... dream beings he doesn't have much to offer. Well, that's not true - goetic inner demons were something he knew existed, even if he couldn't help you on their lore, or lacked the power to evoke them. And while it was tempting to tell these Sleepers of the danger, Shodan knew he had to be more discreet "What Mary said. Also, look at it like this - the whole point of lucid dreaming is to train your mind in producing more... substantial images. Now, most of those are going to be safe enough, but if your fears or failings or whatever slip through the cracks, that means some heavy psychological damage. Your own brain is more than enough to give you a dream owie" And yet it is the very ability to conjure horrors that made humans - mages and not - so unique "That being said, and I know this has no bearing on the discussion at hand, predators are more likely to be repelled by a rave and attracted by flashes, because the latter means food and the former is too potentially dangerous to care about" He sips his coffee "Don't take my word for it, though, the last time I felt outdoorsy I nearly drowned in a lake" Shodan was an urban creature. The other Obrimoi may take interest in Life, but the whole thing seemed like too much of a hassle to the Libertine.

Beast control doesn't seem all that cool when you can shape the ground they walk on, the woater they swim in and the air they fly in "And as my second point of disputable relevance, I am not interested in exorcists, but I am very much interested in mind games to stay calm on a battlefield. Not that I see many omens" He allows himsel a small, and utterly unfunny joke "of me battling in the future but hey, you never know" Again, in truth mages face dngers to their body and soul way more often than ordinary humans, which makes it worthwhile to learn, if anyone is interested in sharing.

"Anatole is right. If we... you publicly study omens we'll be branded whackjobs. If we stick to lucid dreaming the worst insult I can see is 'hipster'" It's not the social aspect of the ridicule - everyone knows it's hard to be a prophet in your own land, literally in this case. It's the scrutiny and limitations this ridicule will attract.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mary... Had a point. Though, he was more surprised that a Normal Human Person would think of such a being. Still- why should he be surprised if monsters existed that solely inhabited dreams? He had heard of weirder stories before. "If those entities did exist, then it seems like our interest in occult topics alone might inevitably attract them- if the way I see patterns is correct, that is. If our dreams are driven towards the occult, it might ring a dinner bell?" Spirits were attracted to particular resonance. Would this club condition individuals to be main courses?... Not while he was around. There were Rites that could help protect humans- he might have to look into it, depending on how far he took this little club. "... But in that case, Mary's right- learning to defend yourself in dreams might be paramount." Nathaniel didn't comment on the notion of an exorcism- he didn't want to attempt such a bold-faced lie. Wolves could 'exorcise' spirits, so there was precedent for the act....

....Whether such Rites could be tweaked to apply to Others was another question.

The new arrival made a good case, and Nathaniel did still hold an interest in the topic. "Omens seem to vary wildly, but their interpretation and maybe even acknowledgement depends on the self just as much as dreams do. I'll practice with tarot, and do some research into common omens- though I'm sort of convinced that dreams might be a better avenue. Besides, my last topic was based more in the physical realm; this makes for a nice variety?" He was partially convinced by Anatole actually-

He raised a good point. "Probably plenty of articles here about dreams, yeah- when I looked into Ley Lines I had to rely on tons of Pop Occult and Neopagan sites. I only used maps and city records to find potential connections... At least this way, we'll have more material to work with." It also added an air of credibility for any prospective members. If nothing else, 'control your dreams' could make for an attractive slogan.

"It couldn't hurt the image here either. Maybe the staff would be more accepting if our topics were based more in applicable research." Citing academic sources in a paper on Lucid Dreaming and combating Others? A held laugh at the thought. "And even if it doesn't end up with anything, the mental practices could be useful like Adam said- and in this field of interest, clarity of mind could be important."

With that Nathaniel closed his notebook. "So it seems like this research holds potential uses for a lot of us? Are we all okay with the potential risks?..." It felt kind of goofy to ask, but the tone was somewhat serious. The people here seemed at least accepting of the belief in Others, and with that came risk. At the moment, those risks were minimal- research in libraries and innocent meetings. But if it ever went further it could spell trouble. Nathaniel would have to monitor things closely moving forward.

"We can spend some time researching now if you'd all like? Pave the groundwork. I'll set aside some journals here later if you all don't have any on hand- and at the next meeting, we can attempt a Tarot reading if that sounds worthwhile?" For the other members as well- some of them seemed interested in the topics. "And naturally anyone that doesn't want to practice one or either need not partake- there are plenty of ideas out there worth studying. Feel free to find topics you are more comfortable with for future meetings." This was more for those other students that chose to participate in the club. "Ah... Anything else to add? If not, we can conclude this meeting for those that don't want to research today."

Does an extended teamwork Research roll sound interesting to anyone? Not sure what mechanical benefit it would have, but could be a story reason to justify merits or dots, even if one isn't needed.

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe looks to Anatole then nods, "Well that's fair again. Yer a copacetic dude."

She then points at Shodan, "Exactly, in our minds we are our own devil and can make our world of dreams a hell," a decent adaption of Oscar Wilde for the context. "Ooo, that could help with the college. Lucid dreaming ta prevent psychological damage could lead inta using it ta REPAIR damage," dream therapy was a thing Lost could do. So why not the mundies, albeit not as a team effort like Changelings can.

As for the rave argument Circe only knew that They were best avoided until you were ready to crack skulls and these Mundies would never be ready. She shrugs as Nathaniel agrees to her hidden warning, "I ain't a camper so I don't get the analogy but scouts rule is ta like be prepared just in case something comes after ya. So don't go camping without a bonfire and a shotgun, or uh. Ya know? The metaphor has ditched me." All else fails she'd just trick them into a Pledge and go full Predator gun scene on Them for poor choice of prey. "Access ta a college computer system? Sounds fun ta me! I'm in."

Like Limp Bizkit I vote we keep on rollin rollin rollin
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

Anatole flashed a grin. It even seemed unforced and natural.

"Heh! Well! Alright. I don't mind flexing some long dead muscles. I'll help with the research. Maybe play with the cards at another time - lets keep things focussed."

A chance to explore this local academic sanctuary's library - how could the cunning Dwarf pass that up?

He couldn't really.

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

This was no Atheneum. But, anything to placate the Sleeper's curiosity was enough to keep Abacus along for the ride. It was at this moment he looked in Shodan's direction and motioned to fix his glasses. Hopefully, that would be enough until he could reach his phone for further correspondence. He hadn't forgotten about him but it'd be stupid to indicate a relationship other than a passing glance on the street; a familiar face. Sacramento had a habit of feeling smaller when you were aware of things.

"Always down to data mine. Count me in."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

S
    Shodan

As Nathaniel mentions risks, the Obrimos' eyebrow perks up a bit. Of course, the risks were ubiquitous when you dealt with hidden knowledge, but it's not like he would (or could) list them here "If any Freddy Kruger-like phantoms haunt me in my dreams, I have enough memories from my wageslave days to throw at them to give them a need for therapy" Thankfully, that was all behind him.

Shodan sniffs, as the Fellowship of the Ring Library Card forms "Well, I think I just caught a severe case of FOMO. Lead the way"

In fairness, I don't see the point of a roll. In an environment with effectively unlimited timeframe, without deleterious factors and performed by capable characters there can be no chance of meaningful failure, and likewise - no way of adjudicating the degree of success. So, if everyone's in agreement we could tie this scene off with a 'fade to black' and use it as justification for future Occult Club topics, or something of that nature

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

And so it was- whether on print or in digital formats, the library contained a plethora of academic sources to draw from. Whatever time was left until the Library officially closed, Nathaniel was determined to use all of it in the pursuit of his research.

And with this particular topic, there was plenty to find. How the brain reacted during such events, what it took to learn how, increasing or decreasing the frequency of such instances, learning what exactly is happening when one controls and alters their own dreams. Combine that with Uratha knowledge...

Would it be possible to persuade a Dream Spirit to teach him? Without a doubt those sources accumulated so far allowed for the possibility that one could learn through purely mundane means. But Nathaniel had other methods at his disposal... And such things may even be necessary, if normal teachings somehow proved ineffective to the Uratha mind. Whatever the case, it was an option for later. Nathaniel would rather attempt the option that didn't involve letting a spirit into his head first.

All these sources, Nathaniel shared with everyone- the digital copies were put on a cheap USB drive for easy access later, and some choice books checked out. If anyone were willing or wanting, he would share contact information with them so as to keep updated on future Occult Club meetings.

The pup wondered what the others would make of the information. And looked forward to future interactions.

Ah.. Wasn't sure to end it here or allow people to post their own little research bits- what they're intending to do with their information, the approach and all that. Character building stuff. If ya want to post your own bits, feel free- otherwise, I'll close this in a few days. This was a fun scene! Sorry it ended up being a bit short.

8. Likes Origins, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    S
    Shodan

Of course, Shodan doesn't rely on print and paper labels like some luddite, rather making heavy use of the digital sources, or - where none could be found - digital catalogues, at least.

And the topics of his 'research' are straight-up weird: conspiracy theories regarding dreams. Dream-related mythological stories, both New Age and those actually ancient. Recollections from those who say they are lucid dreamers, oracles relying on dreams or people with perfect recall of their past lives. It makes for a hodgepodge of materials, all of which are promptly treated with the library's scanner and added to the common trove. Like he said before, most of it was bullshit - simple attention whoring or people getting things completely wrong - but the point of this whole thing was to get as many perspectives and ideas as possible, so there was that.

The Prime Mover copies what the others might share and, eventually, leaves the campus for what used to be a cabal sanctum.

He has some reading to do.

I'm good to close. I'd say it was of exactly the right length

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

+1
    SL
    PRE

This was old hat to the Fairest. Lucid dreaming was her kind's default state when they slept. Oh she wasn't an expert, preferring to get physical but she knew the basics of working dreams from her past Motley. And mundies seem to have the you have tutorial step one as theoretical regarding dream learning. Lost could use Pledges to heal, hurt, train, or hinder others and that was without the Contracts being thrown in.

Nothing here was setting of alarm bells for Circe so it was fine with her. And if they did find something mortal man wasn't meant to know? Tricking them into a dream pledge shouldn't be too hard. They were boys after all.

Copacetic with closing. Fun scene.
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Presence
    (Charming)
    Striking Looks
    (Commanding)
    Strength
    (Fit)
    Nathaniel Dormur

+1
    SL
    PRE

Closering up! Thanks for the scene!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3