Philadelphia, PA - December 19th, 1938

It was a brisk evening.

Miss Lenora Black, the quiet girl from Montana, was spending the darkening hours as she often did: reading. Her roommate Bethany had already left for the winter, going to visit family upstate, but for Lenora home would have to wait and she was set to spend the holidays alone, despite the encouragement of her fellow students in Riddle Hall to join them on the town or in the homes of their own families.

The truth was that Miss Black rarely ventured out with them, keeping her circles small. However, the women of Riddle Hall would not leave the matter to rest and, as one particular student was leaving for the holiday, she had reached out to a socialite well-loved by the residents. Her name was Louisa Kleist. Louisa was known for her parties and admiration for the students. More importantly, the woman's charisma was infectious. Surely, if anyone could get Lenora out of her room it had to be her.

Soon came a knock and Lenora, with some hesitance as she had not expected visitors, answered.

"Ah, you must be Ms. Black, I presume?" asked the sultry burnette, "I am Louisa Kleist, charmed."

Ah gloved hand was extended and met with a cautious shake.

"A pleasure, Ms. Kleist, to what do I owe the visit?" replied the confused Lenora.

A soft chuckle sounded from the woman's throat, the tone as sweet as honey as she invited herself in. Lenora did not oppose her entrance. Fixated as she was, how could she?

"A little bird told me you were staying here alone over the holiday, dear," Louisa answered, "That simply won't do! This is Philadelphia, darling. I can't sit by and let you stay here when there is so much to see. No one should spend Christmas alone."

"With respect, I don't even know you," Lenora said, her hand remaining on the open door, "Your concern is appreciated, but unneeded."

"Simply irrelevant," the woman quipped, a glove sliding over the titles of Lenora's small bookcase, "One single woman to another, it is only responsible to look after each other."

Then the socialite turn, her eyes resting confidently upon the rancher's daughter.

"I'll be blunt, Ms. Black," she said, drawing close, "I am hosting a soiree at my estate this evening and my driver waits outside. It would be a great pleasure to have you join us."

"I cannot,"
Lenora replied, "The hour is growing late."

Throughout the rebuttal, Louisa had not stopped her movement, only coming to rest some inches or perhaps a foot from her quarry.

"I must insist," she said, her voice like silk even as a dark power filled her words with unholy command, "You must come tonight."

"I... I must," Lenora replied.

In moments, the Lenora had retrieved her coat. The hours to come were thrilling to say the least. When Lenora returned near dawn, the officials at Riddle Hall did not rebuke her, for Louisa was well known and their love for her ensured her silence. Lenora did not rise until the midday sun hung above the city, the baleful gaze of its light prompting her to close her curtains. She felt weak, but fulfilled and, when Louisa returned the following evening, she could not resist the call to spend the night among her circle once again.