(Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod, “That is true.” But she believed her path had been chosen for her. “Some do, yes. But some of us have grown jaded to it.” To her. Death was death.

So a difficult life? “Change is always a difficult thing for everyone. And I’m glad your work has impacted the lives of others.” A small shrug, “While I can save lives, you seem focused on making them better, improving them. I think that’s pretty great.” She rarely knew if she made an impact on someone.

“A vineyard? See, you’re just making me want to hear more.” She says playfully. “And even if you consider your past and your life boring, there is someone who will always find it fascinating to hear. An exciting past doesn’t always have to include fireworks and dangerous situations. For me, it’s hearing about what drove someone to seek the life they have now. The path they took and what they learned along the way.” Just something she enjoyed. “Mine? Well, I’m originally from the East coast, grew up in a fairly normal home, even though my mom was always sick. Which might be what drove me into the medical field.” See, nothing too exciting.

A single nod, “It is. And yet it’s greatly misunderstood and feared. Maybe I understand it a bit more than some, given my profession,” and her study of the Arcana, “but it’s not something to fear. And building off what you said about life, it’s what people should focus on. Like you said, making the most of each day we have. Focus on the here and now.” Death was quite fascinating.

Chuckling, “Well, there is going with the flow and acting stupid. See, I’m in no rush to get to the end of my time, I just refuse to not enjoy what life has given me. I don’t want to be a ninety-year-old regretting not doing things when I could. It’s about having fun, but having fun in a smart way. If that makes sense.” Sometimes she didn’t make sense, and this could be one of those times. “And no need to apologize! I think it’s wonderful that you want to make an impact. Keep doing that, we need more people like you.” There was too much negativity going on.

“I’d love to have those recommendations. I really need to take a vacation soon, and maybe that will give me the excuse I need. Thanks!” all work and no play.

Laughing, “Noted. But isn’t the way of artists? At least from what I understand.” Formal, it meant unpacking more then. “Though I welcome the chance to get a little dressed up. One can only live in scrubs and jeans for so long.” She jokes.

P
    Papilio

The Mastigos gripped his cup and looked down. Circumstance and Arcana meant he'd rarely ever grow Jaded with Death- the Arcana or the act. He saw it daily, dripping off of people- the loss they felt. How heavy would that weight be with the Grim Sight? How many brushes with death had she encountered?

Probably more than him- and given his Night Job, that was a feat indeed. "Yes... I've seen that before. I can not relate to it yet- and frankly I never want to." It was almost sad to imagine. He still looked down at his tea, contemplating the murky reflection. Was that how they would both look? Murky and muddled, their identities steeped in Death...

The way she spoke next, about his work and hers- how she can 'merely' save lives. "I can make their living less difficult- but I can not give them life. Can not save them from Death when Fate deals it's hand. You can, at least temporarily- and that is amazing... More than that, it is spectacular! Even if you may never see the results- even if Fate will win in the end- you, with those Tools that few but you can utilize, can affect it. For every life you save, you tug at the strings... And I merely help people walk upon them. Is that not beautiful to you?" Even if she had become jaded to Death... Even lacking one side of the coin, could she still see the wonder in life?

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-11-16 19:25:21 Papilio rolls 6 to Pep Talk (Manipulation + Persuasion) (10 Again) 2, 2, 2, 9, 3, 10, 9 3 successes

Perhaps being involved in helping so many people had helped the man. Still- he did not know her life; but unlike most, he knew that Death (and Fate, even) could be waylaid with the Arcane. And yet here she was, doing the same with naught but mundane tools and knowledge. Some would see Fate as the grand arbiter in that as well- but even then, Fate recognized her work as enough to stave off the final hand. There was beauty, in that.

"The family-" not My family, perhaps innocuously enough "-owns several well-off vineyard in the countryside. As such I was provided great education, entertainment, and plenty of time to grow Jaded with everything given to me. Skip forward a bit, I crash, and things changed. As I said- not that interesting. Though... Thank you, for taking some in mine." He finally looked up from the cup, a warmer smile dotting his features. "The Coast? And ah... It is something for any parent to take pride in, that someone so heartwarming was raised." The whole 'sorry for your loss thing' would usually be a mixed bag, so Jean usually avoided it. "That cannot be all though, certainly? No life is simply normal. Or ah... Am I prying?" Best to avoid that.

Her words on focusing on Life might have been ironic to anyone looking at their table- him, obsessed with helping others live, and her saving other's lives. That wasn't even mentioning the Arcane aspect, which would have solicited a light chuckle and a self-aware jab had this conversation took place among fellow mages. "And it seems both of us are just fine living ours helping others." He certainly considered that worth the effort, in the end.

As to going with the flow- perhaps it was quite impossible to fully explain his views on Death and Fate; his own explanation had been quite the tightrope given how he had to redefine certain elements. Still- hers was certainly admirable. So the glass raised once more, if only lightly, before taking another sip. "Should we ever reach 90, that would be quite the feat in and of itself. And I would have been happy knowing someone as... Uplifting... As you had lived through it. Hopefully having achieved all you set out to. And if not, having lasted long enough to do so." Life was straining- and in this world, any allies against the Darkness were welcome. Her story gave him a bit of hope.

"I will write down a more composite list, to hand you at the event? I would certainly recommend the Northern Vineyard- the weather is much more fair, and the area will open up a variety of spaces." And she seemed set on coming, which was good. "Indeed. Art is rarely so confined to today's standards of formality no? And should you wish to come in scrubs and jeans, I think you might fit right in with some of our budding prospects at the show." A bit of humor in an attempt to match her own.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

If his words bothered her, it didn’t show. She knew she had a dark view on Death as a whole, and she was ok with it. A solemn nod, “I hope you never do.” Was all she said.

“I cannot give it either. I can use my training and medical science to try and save it, but somethings are even beyond my grasp. Some too far gone to save.” It was how the whole thing worked. “Well, Fate is a fickle, taking what she wants when she wants. Little care given to anything or anyone. Now, it can be manipulated, but with great cost.” As an Acanthus, she knew that all too well. The Enchantress ponders the question, looking deep in thought for a moment, “If you want an honest answer? No. Everyone is born to live and then die. Tugging at the strings that make up the tapestry of ones life shouldn’t be done. I think I’m just a little too detached from the whole thing, blame it on years upon years doing what I do.” An honest answer.

His choice of word, The, was noted. An odd way to refer to your family. “Personal question, and if you answer, feel free to ask me one was well. But was the crash what changed your view on your, sorry, the family and your upbringing?” a life changing event could change everything. Was it that way for him? A shoulder shrugs, “Like I said, I find peoples past fascinating.” And most people enjoyed talking about themselves. Nodding, “Yup, Boston to be exact. Though thankfully I’ve lost my accent.” She jokes, though it was true. “I think a life can be pretty normal, but maybe what I consider normal isn’t the same as what you would call normal. And you’re not prying. My mother being sick exposed me to the medical field and how it could help, and fail, someone. I learned at a young age what it meant to suffer and watch someone die. Pursuing medicine has provided some answers, but not all. I also learned growing up that not everyone believes a woman can be a doctor.” So, normal. "I had my own life changing event, perhaps not as changing as yours." she awoke at the base of a tower.

“I’m fairly content with it, wouldn’t trade the job for anything.”
    She drinks some of her coffee.

A wider, more genuine smile, “I’ll look forward to it, thanks!” who knows, maybe she’ll take some time off and travel a bit. She’d certainly earned it. Laughing, “While I could do that, I kinda want the chance to clean up a bit. I don’t get to break out my more, fancy, clothes very often anymore. So this will be the perfect excuse to unpack some more.”

P
    Papilio

That they could both discuss such topics without pause, without issue, was a relief. Even among other Death users, the topics on the state itself varied widely. But here he was- no complications, no Arcane matters- just a normal talk on beliefs and ideologies. 'Normal.' A cracked smile at her hope for him.

His tone wasn't at all combative, in response to her take on Fate. "The Reaper must certainly always claim his due, that I understand. Though perhaps my thoughts on the matter are not as geared towards Fate as they should be? Perhaps for practicality, I do not like to think of the Tapestry Making as unchanging and inevitable- I would rather see it as our actions decide which threads go into the production. Our efforts, then, seem to hold more weight. " A light shrug there. "Though I can certainly agree that changing the threads from what is normally offered would probably end poorly." Good thing Normal Human People couldn't do that, then.

"The crash did not change much, no- but it was certainly the catalyst. As for the family, they are not on my mind as often; when I chose this path-" Right. Chose. "-It caused some conflict. We are still on decent terms, I would like to think- and the direction I took following my recovery was admittedly contrary to my past behaviors. I do not blame them for reacting as they did." There were some days when he wondered, on the subject of Awakening and it's Effects. But whatever the case, this was his path now. Anything else on the matter was just fun cafe talk.

Hearing more about her story was nice. Trust was nice, even if it was something so simple. He laughed along, "I have yet to visit Boston- would you recommend it?" Smiled warmly throughout, "It must have been difficult, at times." And nodded when appropriate. "Yet you endured through it all. Shows them, eh?" It was at the mention of her event that Papilio clasped his hands on the table and gave an almost inquisitive look. Something to ask about later.

"I enjoy the decisions I have made, as well. And I will always take a degree of pleasure in having helped others." He drinks along- content in the idea that he might have just made a friend, and that there might be more interesting company at the Art Show. Still compiling the list, the Mastigos finished his second cup- and it seemed he was running out of questions...

...Which meant it was definitely time to bust out the philosophy again. "You said earlier, that I could ask something? I do not want to inquire into something personal- I would hope we might have other opportunities to discuss those. Rather a... Brain Teaser, if you would humor me?" It wouldn't be the first time he'd asked a similar question. This variant was tweaked given what he knew of her so far. "You said we should not tug at the tapestry... But if you could have the power to change things in a way no one else could- to even give life, perhaps- even with consequences, would you want it available?" He had first asked this to his friends, when he was still in college- though the question was rather moot now in his case. Broken down entirely, Jean was essentially asking if she would want superpowers and what they'd be. Oh sure some philosophy might be gleaned about the matter (and indeed had been written extensively by others), but the entire discussion was almost entirely pointless to the Everyday Person.

And at the end of the day, Papilio thought it a harmless question to end the day on- something hopefully at least mildly entertaining and leaving at least a minor impression. Still, just as a way out-"Ah... Though if you prefer something else, I would be fine knowing your favorite colors?" His tea was finished, as was his snack- nothing to do now but pay. He didn't wish to take too much of her time; and they could always talk later.

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

There was a nod as she leaned forward on her arms, “Fate is a funny thing. What people don’t understand,” as well as an Acanthus did, “is that our paths are already determined. No matter the twists and turns, or what life throws at us, we will end up where we were supposed to. No Path is a straight, each one is filled with dead ends, wrong turns and connections to others. But I understand what you’re saying. People like to believe they are in charge of their Fate, they get some sort of peace and comfort from that.” Then a secret, knowing smile. She would have the power to change Fate one day. And bear the burden of doing such a thing.

“At least you’re still on decent terms with them. Not many people can say that.”
    Some parents disowned when a child ventured down their own direction.

Laughing, “Well, that depends. The history is great, but the traffic and drivers?” a shake of her head, “Would make me not recommend it.” She jokes. “I’m not sure I would say endured, maybe I’m just too stubborn for my own good.” Proving she was capable of achieving something was just how she was.

“A brain teaser?” she looked amused. “Sure, why not.” The conversation was proving more entertaining than her paper anyway. “Hmmm, that’s a difficult question, with many answers. Personally, I don’t think I have the right to give life or change things that are set in motion. I’ve always subscribed to the belief that things happen for a reason. Good or bad, it is not for us to change. Not to mention that there are consequences not everyone is ready to pay. Being able to step in and change how someones life is supposed to play out means accepting consequences that could alter my own path. Could leave me with baggage I don’t need. So to have such an ability would mean being smart and knowing that not everyone is meant to be saved and accepting that what you can do is not what you should do.” Sure, she played with Fate in the beginning. But she had learned a hard lesson.

She blinks a second, “Favorite colors? Can’t say I’ve ever been asked that. But, uh, I suppose I tend to prefer bright colors, mostly blues and greens.”

P
    Papilio

He knew where she was coming from, but was glad she understood the reason for believing as he did. Especially as he was now, the prospect of being a puppet to fate wasn't at all appealing. An Acanthus could probably lecture him for days on the folly of that. So a smile of his own returned to her. "I would like to think I actually changed, and that such a change was my choice is all- not the whims of something else."

Then the more casual talks, on family and familiar places. Even if she was joking, the idea of horrible traffic and horrible drivers made the Mastigos blanch just a tad- and give a somewhat nervous chuckle. "I have ah... Seen plenty of both in Sacramento already. Perhaps I shall put Boston near the end of my list then?" Given that the last time he had a serious crash his entire life was turned upside down. Yes, as far as tempting fate was concerned Papilio was quite happy to forgo such a trip. At least for now. "Stubborness can be a useful trait at times, and you don't seem the type to let things consume you." Well, not too much at least.

As she gave her answer... Well, he didn't quite understand whether she would want such a power or not. But she also seemed to understand the idea of consequences enough, and of control- whether that was due to the experiences she'd faced or something more he didn't know (and given that it was meant to be a fun brain teaser, he wasn't willing to press). He just hummed and nodded, rather enjoying the answer she provided.

And where colors were concerned. "Periwinkle Purple is a favorite. Mossy greens as well." A finger trailed lazily around the rim of his cup- yeah, he was out of things to talk about. But this had been fun- a nice chance to unwind. "Ah, well- I do not wish to keep you from your work. Is there anything else you wished to discuss? If not, I look forward to seeing you at the Event."

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

A knowing smile and nod, “Change is of course free will. But I think until we are able to see such things, and know more about a not proven things such as Fate, there will always be those that wonder. Until there is proof, it’s simply a fun discussion to have.” Sure, lets go with that.

Laughing, “I’d recommend it. Unless you plan on using taxis or have someone from there that can drive you around.” It was a more aggressive form of driving. “Nope. If it’s something I can’t fix or handle, I let it go and move on. No use dwelling on what I cannot fix.” Looking at him thoughtfully, “But seems like the same can be said for you, not letting things consume you.” A good thing.

“There are some nice shades of purple, though you’re one of a handful of guys I’ve met that like purple. Though I’d lean more towards a royal purple myself.”
    Personal reasons there, but no man would ever be able to wear purple the way that man could. A shake of her head, “You’re not keeping me from it. In fact, this has been a welcome and fun distraction. Always nice to have intelligent conversations.” She compliments. “I’ll take care of your bill.” She says with a smile and nod.

P
    Papilio

An expression that was only just capable of covering for a knowing glint in his eyes. She was indeed quite intelligent, in matters most humans were wholly ignorant of. He would look forward to further discussion.

More shared laughter at the idea of hiring Taxi services, and more smiles at not letting matters consume oneself. Perhaps some day he might succumb, when his powers truly allowed him feats worth losing oneself over- but not anytime soon. A grin at the idea that she liked purple, glad such simple connections could be made, regretting somewhat that he'd lost much of his more flashy wardrobe.

He was almost instinctively ready to object to the notion of her paying- not at all accustomed to being on the receiving end of such charitable behaviors, even as small as they were. But he let the start of his insistence fade with a breath and a gracious expression. Besides, this way.... "Very well- I will cover the next one, then?" a slight nod of the head as he stood, collecting his belongings. "It has been a pleasure spending this time with you-" He felt much more clear-headed. "-and I hope your work goes well. I look forward to meeting up again in the future...Ah, Bonne journée!" A wave of the hand as he went walking. He almost considered offering a handshake, but felt a simple goodbye was more appropriate for their first encounter.

Walking along, Papilio wondered what to do next. The day was still young, and the city rang with opportunity... And soon he'd have the chance to meet more mages!

What an event that would be...

Thanks for the scene! ^^ Oh. Ummm... "Papilio Leaves the Scene."

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread