Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable sat in her office at the Nox working on paperwork.

Her office was painted a teal color and had book shelves all around her desk. There was a small table and seating area in front of her desk. The chairs and table were white painted wrought iron. The over all effect of the room was a relaxed Mediterranean feel. On the walls were pictures of the ocean and rocky shore. Also pictures of tree lined rivers. On the shelves were books about trees along with books on business and leadership being held up by crystallized rocks. There were some sculptures on top of the shelves.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek knocks on the door of Mable's office before entering, knowing the Keeper is expecting him. Immediately the presence of her Beast washes over him and he shrinks back instinctively, recognizing the superior predator. He had spoken to Mable a few times now. She had always been a pleasant and polite official, warm and welcoming as far as Kindred go.

Derek observes the room and its furnishings curiously. He is wearing his typical black hoodie with grey jeans and sneakers. It hardly presents him as very Reeve-like, but that would take a colossal effort given the manner in which he carries himself.

"Good evening, Keeper Wood. It's been some time. I hope you were not put off by the formality of my message. I've been attempting to maintain a habit of propriety since my appointment. How are you? We haven't really spoken since that business with Echelon's ambush. And even then there wasn't really a moment to talk," he says, pacing a few steps into the room.

Warden of the Sacred Grove
    Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable was thankful his beast was masked. When he entered she wanted to hug him... but stopped herself knowing he was introverted and shy.

"Do you mind hugs?" She asked abruptly. She had learned to ask. If he says it's ok she will give him a hug like greeting a friend you haven't seen in a month.

A warm welcoming smiling. "Evening, and congrats on your appointment to Reeve...or are you going with Sheriff? How would you prefer to be formally addressed?"

"Also, call me Mable, we aren't in court and we have been through quite a bit together in that ambush."

She gives a look of concern, "How are you doing? I did what I could to keep the heat off of us."

Directing him to the seating area, "Please have a seat."

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

The idea of a hug terrifies Derek and he does his best to hide the fact on his expression. It wouldn't take much to break the thin-framed Shadow, and seeing Mable in action doesn't bring much comfort given his active imagination. But after his chat with Dirt Nap and his duel with Patience, if he can't stomach a friendly hug then he would hardly be ready for the Change.

He answers by reluctantly opening his arms to accept the hug, focusing on her wholesome girl-next-door characteristics to drown out the screams of his Beast. A couple light pats and he's free once more, taking a seat as she offers one.

"Thank you, Mable. I'll go by Reeve since I believe it will please Her Grace. And you needn't use the title for this meeting. I have no intention of throwing the weight of my Office around, especially against yours. I just wanted to chat, maybe share some proposals, and become more familiar."

"But I am doing alright. After the ambush I went into hiding, waiting to hear from Lina, though no call ever came. Only when I returned to Court did I hear about her departure. It was a bit of a shock. Since I was the only Deputy remaining I took it upon myself to step up to the role by meeting with Prince Alessandra. I told her about the ambush and then did some digging. Turns out Echelon did the work of covering up that little exchange. I'm still not sure whose body we found there. According to Lina's notes it was some look-alike to her, meant to send a message to keep out of their affairs. Not that those hitmen and shotguns weren't message enough."

"As Reeve I'll be continuing that investigation. I hope you'll be available to help should I need it. I heard you were there during that incident with my cousin, Adam?"

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable sat across the low table from Derek. Shock showed on her face. "You mean the Prince didn't know about the ambush? Lina had been so good at keeping her informed, or so I thought. Wow, I would have informed the Prince myself but I was just a helper so it wasn't my place." Mable chewed on her lip in thought.

"Of course you can count on me to help any where and any time. My job is such that as long as I am not in a meeting I can leave and do what I need to for the domain."

"I was there during the Adam thing."
    Mable got quiet. "It was very weird. Thankfully, people seemed to understand I was a victim not part of a plot."

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Well, according to her notes she kept a lot of parties informed quite regularly. It was just this one instance that she failed to communicate the incident. I believe it was due either to her rush to leave on Covenant business or because her false identity had been compromised, which meant she too had to lay low," Derek speculates, leaning his head against his fist and his elbow against the armrest.

"Regarding Adam, I've only heard that he was killed, and not the circumstances of events. And that you're meant to assist the Herald in resolving that. I remember Adam having made some reckless decisions in the past. I feel as though I aught to apologize for my cousin. I may not have done enough to counsel him against fervency."

He pauses solemnly for a moment, shifting in his seat as he waits to hear Mable share her thoughts on these matters.

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable put her feet up on the table and settled into the seat. "Mmmm, laying low makes sense. That must have been a shocker for her."

"No need to apologize for another's actions. Besides, I never had an issue with him. I believe he thought he was helping me."
    Mable gave a little smile, "He felt he needed to save my soul, rather sweet."

"But that day, We were doing some surveillance. I was flying around getting Arial views and trying to see in windows. The windows had security glass so I couldn't see in really well. Adam was doing shadow work. I wanted to get a look inside. My boss had been talking about me volunteering there at night because they needed help with body pick-up etc so I figured I would try and get inside. The guard wouldn't let me. I tried a few things to convince him. He stood firm."

"I was getting ready to leave my card for him to give the ME when Adam popped out of no where and tried to bully or convince the guard into letting me in. That's when things started getting out of hand. I played a scared victim. Tried to get the guard to let me in to protect me. Instead he separated us. I moved away and coward by the fence as I was told to do. Adam started sounding like a terrorist. At this point I did get a little scared because it came out of no where, so now I wasn't faking it. Then boom and he dropped to the ground dead with a capital T. His face was pretty much gone."

"I Still think he was trying to help me. But I could have seriously waited until the next day and I would have had my interview and a tour of the building."

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Save her soul? Ridiculous, thinks Derek, recalling the tenets of the Lancea Sanctum. He imagines what Patience might say to such a sentiment. According to their teachings, all Kindred were damned and nothing would change that. Perhaps Adam's sect of faith had different ideas about those details. He logs this away mentally to ask his Deputy later.

As for the details of Adam's behavior and the result, Derek can't fathom what his cousin had in mind with that course of action.

"You always think the best of people, don't you, Mable," he remarks with a soft smile paired with a pained expression. "Well, I wish you luck in resolving what may have been a lack of judgement from our departed friend."

"In any case, now that we're caught up, I think I'd like to talk about the reason for my coming to meet with you. The matter of security in Elysium. Could you perhaps tell me a little about how your office maintains a neutral ground? Aside from the Prince's Laws of nonviolence and a demonstration of respect, what exactly is the expectation of your duties? I ask simply to better understand how I may be of service in enforcing these Laws within Elysium."

9. Likes Psychangel liked this post

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable gave a soft smile, "Yes, I do try to see the best in everyone and everything. It makes my existence much happier and satisfactory."

She thought a moment about his questions, "I have a few of my own before I answer..."Have you discussed with the Prince her expectations of you in Court? And what have you seen in other domains?"

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek straightens up as the questions are redirected to him.

"Somewhat. The Prince has given me the freedom to carry weaponry within Elysium in order to keep the peace. She is considering whether to extend that right to my Deputy, Patience. Beyond that I imagine I am simply an additional representation of authority, meant to enforce her Laws while the whole of the Domain is gathered."

"In San Francisco it was different. There was a greater population of Kindred there. More Elders too. Numerous factions and sects kept many at odds, making enforcement of the Law far more necessary than in our relatively cooperative Domain. So my concern, if you can even call it that, is to assess our needs and have a plan moving forward."

His tone grows apologetic. "But much of what I am suggesting is not by the orders or expectations of Her Grace. Rather it is by my own initiative. I believe, if we come up with a proposal together, one that is to each of our liking, that we can bring that to the Prince for evaluation."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread