Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Risk Assessment

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Personal Spells: 1/3

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

"Fine sentiments. Very fine. I do not believe I have heard them put across quite so well. Cosmo has a valid point here: spoken of thus, our gift necessitates that we act. It goes beyond a right we have as being counted among the Awakened. It is a responsibility."

Campanella pulled a small face as he drank from his coffee.

"Technology is a tool. Fine enough for Sleepers. But we must never forget what it is and who it serves in the end. We must not let ourselves become complacent and neglect our studies of the Mysteries. Technology has become a new opiate of the masses - and I fear it may have a seductive and corrosive influence on ourselves as well if we let it." This warning, delivered politely, was for Phoenyx. Nor did he mention the Libertines...

The Arcane had to be studied, practiced, learned. It was a gift to be earned and needed to be respected as much. Complacency led to pancrypta and the weakening of magic, just as much as deliberate design occluded its mysteries to the point they faded away. Off course, he could not express these truths quite as openly as he wished. This was a secret hard won by his Order.
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

"Fools", the Guardian would offer no respite or sympathy. "Cars are convenient as well, doesn't mean you should put a toddler behind the wheel", he took another sip of his tea, "somebody added sugar", he grumbled.
    "And it's spelled Quiescence", just to twist the knife in the wound.

3. Likes Xander, Yumyumcrow liked this post

Presence
    (Eager)
    Striking Looks
    (Willful)
    Cosmo

Nimbus

A halo of white fire burns around his head.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Glad we agree."

Cosmo smiles to the Heirarch. It wasn't that odd that the Diamond agrees with itself, though Winter seemed more honed into spelling then a key point.

"It's not about putting a toddler on a Harley, it's about teaching a teenager to drive." Hands wrapped around his drink as Cosmo turned more fully to the Guardian. "There are completely covert spells that can be used to guide a sleeper away from witch hunting and darkness and towards the support of the Awakened Nation. Not everything requires full disclosure, and with communication the Orders can work together to determine the worthy and guide them towards the Awakening while deterring the sinful."

Though not necessarily the hubristic. The Ladder needed it's fair share of recruits too after all.

"In the mean time our study of the Supernal is what remains of paramount importance. We can't Ascend with toys and gadgets, and our understanding of the Truth is what will equip us best in our war for reality."

5. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

"There was mage found and decapitated by mortal Sleepers with a constructed being. There were Seers attacking openly. These are not "nebulous"." Phoenyx replies to Cosmo levelly. "Your assumption of safety because we have not been attacked is a similar complacency. On this topic, we must agree to disagree, and let it rest. Winter and I will be vigilent, and watch for our own concerns."

"I see. Then I apologise for my lack of clarity. I do not wish to give the impression that I wish the Lie to emcompass all,"
    she replies, but the Arrow's eyebrows raise at his next comment. "Cosmo, I want to let the matter rest, but you are now claiming we should fight acceptance when a moment ago you said not changing something was acceptable. So which is it? Regarding your examples, I am an Initiate of Fate. The more you bless people with a "good day" the harder the Abyss snaps back on that person. I know this. The Arcana are powerful but if you truly believe you can walk around, changing everything and everyone as you see fit, you are appointing yourself judge of all creation. Do you have the right to do that?"

She looks to Campenella. "Hierarch, this is not about embracing the lie, but using the framework of the Lie to overcome own own weaknesses until the arcana supplants them. Refusing to acknoledge a weakness in yourself is possibly the greatest failing, because it can never be improved upon. Since I came here I have spent much time in study of the Arcarna and my own power. I agree that it is wrong for us to ever lose sight of that goal, and would not suggest otherwise." She looks between the older man and Cosmo, pausing. They should see the discnction she was making (at least, that was what the Arrow thought). "But is it still wrong to use tools to shore up a weakness we possess untill we can overcome them magically?"

Sorry for holding up - this week has been hell.

Also I don;t recall seeing a thing that others would be invited, so I apologise if I've gotten confused somewhere. I gues Phoenyx just made a mistake as well!
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

7. Likes Xander, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Cosmo is graced by a slight smile from the Hierarch as he places down his coffee.

"I am not saying you should avoid using the tools created by the Lie entirely. What I am saying is that one must not forget what they are in essence. That one must not use them as a crutch and as an excuse to avoid the study of the Mysteries. Just because the sleepers have a tool made of base materials that allows them to communicate with friends at the four corners of the earth, does not mean one should discount or disrespect the noble art of scrying."

He paused and digested what the Arrow had said.

"If one has no other option. And if one is mindful of how easy and seductive the Fallen World can be. If caught in a such a bind, use the Sleeper tool once and in extremis only. Seek a solution in the Supernal where you can."

He avoided the Libertine way, which was to blend the two together. Most unnatural.

Presence
    (Eager)
    Striking Looks
    (Willful)
    Cosmo

Nimbus

A halo of white fire burns around his head.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"So over a month later we have one claim of the decapitation of an unnamed individual." His right finger traced circles in the air as if to say woopdie doo. "If they attacked in the opening then show me the witnesses."

Attacks in the open? Again with the vagueness...

"If you want to let it rest drop it. If you want to keep dropping hysterics then by all means show me something that backs it up. A time and place to scry, an object from the attacks, literally anything besides inflammatory rhetoric and doomsaying."

Siiiiiiip. Gulp.

"It's not about fighting acceptance, it's about fighting the Lie. Pointing out excessive surveillance is a stepping stone to a police state is just as grave as fighting poverty and California's growing homeless problems. The difference is acknowledging which one is a better use of my time and which isn't changing any time soon. As for your aversion to the idea of playing judge, tough. Tending the flock of Sleepers is literally what the Silver Ladder does. We're also the ones who formulated and codified the Lex Magica and Tetragramaton, the volumes by which the Awakened legal system functions. So yes, I will play judge as I see fit because that is the role my order plays in the Diamond. If the Abyss is biting you over Initiate level practices, then I advise not being obvious enough to invoke disbelief."

Cosmo mostly just listened to the last part of Phoenyx's thoughts with one objection.

"I'd say failing to ask for help when it's needed is the greatest failing, and I've made clear that I don't agree babysitting the Circle is the necessity you and Winter think it to be. Yet all of us now have to deal with having our time at the Circle logged by your cameras because of your insistence on this belief."

They could talk about deleting the data all they want, but Cosmo was still pretty sure the cameras would remember who they saw if he asked. It was really just the storage space that might forget. Cue the field test just to be sure.

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

Out of the frying pan and straight into the fire. Teenagers... possibly the least trustworthy group next to kindergardeners, young Ladders and Libertines. If the Ladder had attempted to make a point, then the analogy had fallen short of its goal. The Guardian felt even more convinced of his assessment.
    "Is that so?", the Guardian pitched, "then it becomes more a matter of metrics and of the relative worth of those self styled judges and leaders of yours. Besides, let me clear this misshapen perception of yours. Being a member of your Order doesn't bestow you any specific priviledge in this Consilium, if you feel mistreated, then feel free to bring the matter to your Caucus. I'm sure you can fantasise about past achievements you took credit for but had no hands in all you want. Where does it reunite? San Francisco?", he smirks, "they've been most helpful through the past year and a half".
    Another sip. "Needless to say, signing a name somewhere doesn't make one a leader. Even children can write their names in crayons after all. And you don't exactly have a track record in this town".

"Both of you might see things however you see fit. But it doesn't change the fact that you're dressed in cloths woven and spun by a lie, you sit at a booth illuminated by Sleeper's made tech, driving Sleeper's made cars. And as much as you wouldn't like to admit it, no matter how metaphysically untruthful it might be, a bullet can kill you all the same. As much as we'd like convince ourselves of that, we're not the ones setting the rules. So spare me the cheap talk. You want to go and live your pointy hat wizard fantasies? Go on, but don't become a problem",
    was Cosmo accusing them of being liars?
    "Uh",
    now the Guardian was confused, "I was there when they bombed the neighborhood. Phoenyx was there during the assault. I believe we both qualify as witnesses. The anonymous body has been retrieved, her name was Epitaph. Feel free to play mortician if you want. And one last time, the cameras are not going anywhere. Now, is there anything else?"

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

Phoenyx smiled slightly and inclined her head to Campenella. "And I do not disagree on any particular point, Hierarch. We simply wish to guard a weakness we have at present."

The Arrow sighs. Dismissing anything not seen with his own eyes, Cosmo's arrogance was a disaster waitng to happen. Fortunatelty Winter steps in with exactly as she was trying to phrase.

"If you want evidence, we rarely make a habit of keeping decapitated bodies, but I have the address of the lair where Epitaph was found by Kaze, Alastor and myself. Winter has the address of the apartment building bombed and trapped. Scry away. Would like to see our memories as well?"
    The tone was laced with a hint of sarcasm - frustration was beginning to break through again. The Arrow stopped, closed her eyes, and took a long, calming breath. "Your suggestion that you have a right to judge is no more authoratative than my duty to protect the Pentacle or Winter's to uphold the Veil. It does not grant you more weight than anyone else believes. You clearly believe it is authority, but there is only one authority here, and he is sat next to you." She shrugs. "Our duty is security and protection. We are not Initiates of all Arcana. Help was requested. No-one present for the Concillium could scry when the decision was made, and the often-changing nature of this Concillium makes consistency rare and underappreciated. We shore up a weakness."

She sips the iced tea again. It is a tad too sweet, but she has it now. She looks at the Ladder again.

"It is hard to discuss things when you are inconsistent. On the one hand, you are an advocate for avoiding complacency, and promoting growth. I agree with this. But on the other, regarding the Circle, you are suggesting the status quo and complacency is sufficient. Do you understand my confusion?"
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1

PRE

Campanella waits, evidently content to let Cosmo and Phoenyx continue their conversation without interruption.

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

Evidently something was off between the Arrow and the Ladder. It was his belief that this kind of laundry was better aired in public before the disagreements rotted into something worse.
    "Alright, the two of you. Let's drop the courteous magocracy for a second, and share exactly what you think. We're all tough-skinned adults... more or less"

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread