Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

Phoenyx was not an expressive person by nature. And while her first impression had been fine, her second one with October had been a lot more… messy. Tears and feelings and panic… but out of Winter, Shodan, and Kaze, October had been the only other option. She didn’t have any other friends.

And now, she wanted to try and rebuild her image. And talk about Fate, as an Acanthus she might be able to understand. But mostly it was the rebuild her image thing, and thank October for helping her.

There weren’t a lot of places they could talk about magic openly, so the Obrimos had invited the other mage up to the Arrow quarter of the Circle. It was a somewhat austere place Phoneyx had been tidying and making usable again – a training room, a set of bunks and so on. She had – a little reluctantly – taken the separate bedroom for a ranking Arrow, mostly because it felt very empty and alone in the bunks by herself. Last time she stayed here Kaze was nearby, and without him it was lonely. Plants had been added to the corner of the rooms – her own touch. Something about Forces and Life was very connected to her.

There was a meeting room there, set up for tea with an Oriental-styled china tea set. The Obrimos had slipped downstairs to wait for her guest. She was wearing a long, robelike flowing top in bright scarlet and black leggings, making her look a lot like the legendary bird of her namesake. Her daggers were buckled over the top.

Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

She was a little surprised Phoenyx wanted to meet up again. And she figured it was one of two things. The Arrow was pissed and the advice didn’t go well, or she needed more advice. And if that was the case, she was going to start charging.

Having never been in the Arrow section of the Circle, she found herself looking around, wondering what went on behind closed doors. Like, did they beat each other up for training and funzies?
    Spotting the Obrimos, she offers a small wave in greeting.

“Hey Phoenyx.”
    The Enchantress was casual in white distressed jeans and a black cropped t shirt. Her hair was in a messy ponytail, no real effort in it. “How’s things?”

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)

PRE

Phoenyx smiles awkwardly. "Things are good. How are you? I wanted to... apologise for the other day. I did not behave very appropriately." She shuffles slightly from side to side. "And... you really helped me. Kaze and I talked things out. I... really owe you one. And I... was hoping you wouldn't tell anyone. It was embarrassing." She blushes a little.

The Obrimos opens the door to the Arrow quarters and gestures inside. "At your first Concillium we mentioned talking about the Fate Arcana, so I thought we could... have tea and talk about that? I haven't been able to talk to an Acanthus and know what they were saying."

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

A carefree shrug, “Not too bad, I can’t really complain.” Wait, apologize? She looked confused for a second before hearing the reasoning. “You have nothing to apologize for. And how did you not behave appropriately? Is having emotions and feelings not appropriate or something?” she was truly confused on this. “Because if so, we need to do away with that rule.” Like, now. “You guys worked it out? That’s great!” there was a wide, happy smile. Shaking her head, “You don’t owe me anything, I was just trying to help.” She bit her tongue to stop from laughing at the blush, “I won’t tell anyone.” A shake of the head, “It’s not my place.” And if anyone knew about not telling anyone, it was her, a doctor.

Walking in, she looks over her shoulder, “We did. And if you want to talk about Fate, we can do that.” A nod. “Wait, and know what they’re saying? Did they make it confusing or something?”

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

PRE

Phoenyx squirms. "I'm not good with feelings. Or expressing them. And I dropped a lot on you and it wasn't very fair. That's why I felt I should apologise. I'm... trying to get better at talking about them." She smiles a little shyly, then turns serious. "No, I do. I had no idea what to do about Kaze and we might not be together otherwise. And I would hate that." Wait, What?

I... guess I would. He really means that much to me.

The Arrow seems to be blushing again? And doesn't notice October repressing her laughter. "Kasterborous was the only other Acanthus we had here. He was
    .. very difficult to understand. It was like he was experiencing a different world to the one of every one else."
    She follows her in. "I have made a small study of Fate myself - it was why I wanted to talk to you about it, to see what it would be like learning more. And..." she hesitates. "And you were really nice. That means a lot to me. I can show you around the place. If you like. Not many people come here."

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

A single shoulder shrugs, “It’s ok, not everyone is. They’re messy and hard to understand. I still struggle myself.” It was true, she was still sorting her own out. “The way I see, it put to use those psych classes I had to take in med school. Glad some of the information was retained.” Those classes were horrible! “I’m glad you’re trying to get better at it. I think you’ll find that with time they’ll be easier for you.” For an Arrow she was certainly unsure about some things.

A single nod, “Oh. I’ve come across a few other Enchanters who were a bit out of touch with reality. I’m not sure if it’s the Path, or just how they are. Though we are known for being a bit weird and flighty.” So who knows.

“Oh, well, I’ll answer whatever I can for you. So you want to learn more?” she looks to Phoenyx, “You make it sound like people being nice is rare or something.” Looking around, “Sure. This whole building is so huge! Not sure how you guys don’t get lost.” She jokes. "Is that from there not being many of us around, or because non arrows aren't usually allowed in here?"

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

PRE

The Arrow nods, and seems to relax a little. "It is reassuring I am not the only one that finds that. I am trying to talk to Kaze about what I feel. It is not a thing I have done often, but I think it is helping."

She nods. "When I was an apprentice I spent a lot of time trying to see if randomness could be controlled through Fate. My teacher was a Thyrsus, and knew almost nothing of that Arcarnum. He encouraged me to follow it as independent study, recognising that Arcana outside of our paths give new insight and help us develop more fully." Phoenyx walks along the corridor. "I realised that trying to command Fate too much runs the risk of Paradoxes, and that we must often accept things must fall a certain way, despite our abilities. Is that something you found, or did you learn in a more structured way?' If she had seemed unsure before, the Obrimos was clearly a lot more confident discussing magic.

There's a pause. "People are often nicer than I expect. My training was strict , but it taught me discipline. I know people find me direct, and literal. The things people say confuse me sometimes. It causes disagreements. Like at Concillium." She doesn't sound regretfully or angry, just stating a fact. "Because the Concillium has always been small, is my understanding. Compared to other orders we have little to hide. I was never told we could not bring others here, or how might we recruit more Arrows?" She gives a slight smile. "I am not trying to do so, do not worry." Was that a joke? She was certainly smiling as she said it.

She opens the door into the training room - matts, areas for sparring, and assorted gym equipment are laid out neatly in the room. "The Arrows have facilities for training both body and mind. A lot of people thing we are simply soldiers, but we are much more - our barracks reflect this. We train physically because fitness is an aid for magic, and we believe that since we control magic and are sworn to protect the other Mages, we owe it to ourselves to take the best care of ourselves we can. However, an unthinking soldier has no will and is only a pawn. We need to be able to question our orders rationally, and thus retain responsibility for our actions." Phoenyx waves a hand to the tower. "Offices and chambers are in the tower. And over there is the sleeping quarters." It seems a very functional place, reflecting the attitudes of the Arrow.

8. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

A small chuckle, “It’s been a while since I’ve had to talk about them myself. And when I did, I had to learn how to vocalize them, so I get the struggle.” Though her situation was different. A lot different. “But I’m glad it’s helping.” Communication was healthy and kinda needed in relationships.

There was a nod, “Ah. It can, to a point. And like you realized; the paradox risk is great. Not to mention that Fate is a very fickle thing, and bending it to your will too many times will bring you more harm than anything. Try too many times for luck, and you will find yourself with nothing but bad luck. I played with it a bit, testing the boundaries, seeing how far I could do before it slapped me in the face. And it got me a few times, more then I care to admit.” A shrug, “I was taught through trial and error. My teacher wanted me to feel what happened when I tried to bend Fate and Time to my will too many times. In a way, I think I walked away with a better understanding and a deeper respect for it. Structure was left for school.” Not learning magic.

“Discipline is a great thing to have. It’s a rare thing to find these days.” She had to learn it for school. “I think being direct and literal are good traits to have. Some people need someone to be direct with them, and a kick in the ass, but I’m getting off topic.” It happened, she was an Acanthus. “If you don’t mind the question, what confused you?” for her, it would help her understand the Arrow better and how to best communicate with her. Laughing, “Don’t worry, I didn’t think you were. Though I can say the Arrows are one Path that haven’t tried to recruit me over the years.” Not a joke, a true story.

Seeing the training room, she wonders if this would be better then a gym membership. If she got a gym membership. “Wow, you guys are quite serious about the whole training thing.” She continues to look while listening. “That’s really interesting. I’ll admit that I know little about the Arrow’s aside from them protecting and aiding when called. How do you train your mind? I know how someone in my field does, but I’m curious how someone trained like you are make sure your mind is sharp.” Looking where Phoenyx points, “I didn’t even realize you guys had places to sleep here.”

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Phoenyx

Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Willpower 3/3
    Personal Spells 2/3

PRE

Phoenyx cocks her head slightly. "Different how?" She doesn't seem to notice how personal that could be.

The Arrow listens, and nods. "I experienced something similar. Being lucky for several days was enjoyable, but the backlash was... unpleasent." She smiles. "I cannot tell for certain if Fate needs to be experienced to learn properly, but I think it does. I was taught to exert will over Life in a much more formal way, but having to learn on my own showed me how trial and error play a large part in the process of learning. Even if the lesson took a few weeks to reveal itself."

There's a pause as the Obrimos thinks. "I don't always pick up on jokes, or sarcasm. And it seems people read more into what I say than there is. Sometimes I intend that - my teacher stressed a lot of learning on philosophy and ethics, which was dotted with interpret-able wisdom. He said it was to make me work a little harder for the lesson. I think he just likes being cryptic." She smiles slightly at the memory.

"We hold ourselves to high standards. You are clearly disciplined and educated, from your career. Both are traits we hold highly. And not all Arrows are as... direct, or strict as I am." She sounded like she didn't quite agree with that, but that was her. "Also, it is quickly noticed if an individual has little interest in joining us. Does that may have something to do with it?" Phoenyx asks. Direct, but without judging.

She smiles, with a hint of pride. "More than the practicalities linked with our duties and magic, it is a part of our philosophy. We are more than a will, though many Awakened choose to walk the paths focusing solely on the mind. Our bodies are the vessel for that will, and keeping them fit and strong is as important as sharpening out intellect with knowledge so as to better use the Arcarna. It pushes the physical limits of the Lie as well as exerting will." Phoenyx heads into the ground floor of the tower. "I promised you tea. Please. Come this way."

The Arrow has a fine patterned cina set on a desk with two chairs. She puts a kettle on and waits. "Sit, please. To train the mind, there are different approaches. Some study intensely, using raw intellect. Some debate, honing their skills of logic and pitting our philosophies against others." There is a slight smile. "Shodan and I do this often. Some, like myself, study philosophy and ethics to better understand the wisdom of employing magic. For example, should you curse someone who annoys you? It is so easy. There is no authority to stop you aside from one's own conscience. We have should power, should we employ it as freely as it can be?" Phoenyx smiles. "There is no single right answer, which forces thought and discourse. Arrows always seek challenges to test themselves, mentally, physically..." There's a pause. "And socially."

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Enchantress was silent for a moment, “Maybe I’ll share that with you someday. But it’s deeply personal and I’m not sure I’m ready to talk about it just yet.” She didn’t sound offended or put off by the question, just didn’t want to answer it. At least not until she knew the Arrow better, and knew her thoughts on certain things.

Laughing, “It always is. Like a bad hangover with more serious consequences.” In a way, maybe. Nodding, “I think I agree with you. Fate can be hard to understand until you experience it. Though I also don’t think there is a right or wrong way to learn it, it’s about what is comfortable and works. But until you know how far you are able to push your luck with Fate, you will never grow, at least, in my opinion. Oh, you’ve studied Life?” she asks, “I went the opposite direction, I picked up Death. And it wasn’t formal, I think it was just how much of it I’m around, it seemed more natural.” In a weird twisted way.

“Ah, ok, I can see that now.” It was true. “There are some here that can be hard to know if they’re joking or not. Like Shodan, he was a bit difficult to pick up for cues at first. You on the other hand, I can’t read. So it can be easy to read too much into what you say and how you say it. Now don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with that, but I think you’ll keep running into the same problems.” No judgement, just observation.

Shrugging, “I’m not sure. I haven’t completely ruled out any Order. But I also know my Path has a reputation for being flighty, which I’m sure doesn’t help.” It sounded like it amused her. “Or it could be that I don’t seem to have the time. Early in my career I was never around in the community, I was always on call or at the hospital. Leaving little time to dedicate to talking with the Orders and letting them get to know me. Now that my career is stable, I have more free time.” So she planned on looking into the Orders more, maybe find her place among one.

“That makes sense. So if the mind is weak, the body will follow. I know I apply similar principles when it comes to both my work and my magic.” Then a nod as she follows.

Taking a seat as instructed, she places her chin on her hand as she listens. Smirking, “You two do seem to enjoy debating.” She agreed. “Well, I won’t lie, I have cursed someone who annoyed me, and I don’t feel bad about it. But I’ve always tried to save things like that for when it’s needed and would make a difference. I get what you’re saying though. With the power we have, we have to walk a very fine line between good and evil, right and wrong.” Though sometimes it felt really good to make someone fail. “Is that a big challenge for you, the social aspect of it? Something you work on improving?”

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread