Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap looks at the object of Patience's attention. "I think it is a thing that I could not do, and I respect the creator. I guess the same way I respect the Creator, and all His Creations, whether I see the purpose of them clear or not."

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse
    Something is...off about Patience’s face. Or is it her body as a whole, the way she carries herself? Something’s not quite right in any event, though you can never seem to say exactly what that may be. A subtle asymmetry of her features, an odd cock of the eye or twist of the lips? A barely detectable wrongness in the set of her limbs, in the rhythm of her walk? An unlocatable strangeness: it’s all the more disquieting because that ‘something’ can’t be named, tracked down, and assigned a place. In fact, it seems to change moment to moment, depending on where she is in the room and where you are in relation to her.

NOS
    PRE

Patience raises an eyebrow at Dirt Nap's retort. It is an indication of her interest, if not friendliness.

"There are different classes of creators."

She offers the Savage a wicked looking smile. More a baring of teeth than a display of warmth.

"It's the same for predators. For instance, I would not compare you, or myself, to Her Majesty. And yet we are all predators. Some lesser, others greater."

She dismissively waves her hand at the wires again. She cannot ignore his choice of words, however. They hint at something.

"You sound as if you've been thinking about our last conversation. I am glad."

Her eyes return to the gathered acolytes, though she continues to address him.

"You may not see clearly now. But do you want to, Mr. Nap?"

3. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods as Patience alludes to their previous conversation.

At her pointed question, he pauses in consideration. Then he says, "Bishop Patience, before I can answer that properly, I need to know where you're coming from, in particular, do you believe the Bible that the Kine use is an authority you respect in its whole self, or do you believe it is corrupted or obsolete or in some other way not to be trusted or used as an authoritative guide?"

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse
    Something is...off about Patience’s face. Or is it her body as a whole, the way she carries herself? Something’s not quite right in any event, though you can never seem to say exactly what that may be. A subtle asymmetry of her features, an odd cock of the eye or twist of the lips? A barely detectable wrongness in the set of her limbs, in the rhythm of her walk? An unlocatable strangeness: it’s all the more disquieting because that ‘something’ can’t be named, tracked down, and assigned a place. In fact, it seems to change moment to moment, depending on where she is in the room and where you are in relation to her.

NOS
    PRE

Between Derek and Dirt Nap, Patience is fielding some interesting questions this evening. She does not know whether that is a good or bad thing.

”I believe that the Bible is the Word of God. I also believe that the Word and Will of the Lord can diverge at times. We dwell in a mystery, Mr. Nap. We are often left guessing as to what the Lord intends. That is why Faith is so important. To have Faith even in our moments of gravest doubt, that is our true test.”

She pauses, her mouth hanging slack while she considers. It looks like there’s a gaping hole in her face.

”As you note, the Bible is meant for the instruction of Kine. The Damned have their own text, meant to guide them down the path set by the Lord. The Testament of Longinus. Have you read it?” She suspects not, but asks nonetheless.

They whole time they speak, Patience is following other goings on around Court with keen interest. Her vile gaze moves from acolytes, to Lenora, to the Prince and those around her, finally returning to Dirt Nap again.

6. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap listens to Patience's answers intently, completely still and watching her with total focus to the point of staring.

When she finishes, he nods, "Okay, good. I will try to get to your questions in order. I needed to know how you took the Bible, because I still generally consider it my guide. You might remember me telling you before that I was a ministry student before I died, and that I don't feel punished or abandoned by God because of dying or my embrace." he reminds her. "I don't believe in quoting the Bible to anyone unless they recognize it as an authority. So far, you're the first since my embrace." he muses.

"Your question about would I like to know see clearly reminded me of some places in the Bible where some secret knowledge was offered. The first time, I believe was in the Beginning."

He pauses and then recites, "Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

Dirt Nap pauses again and says, "The funny thing is, your second question reminds me of a little part at the other end of the Bible."

He recites, "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Dirt Nap is silent a long moment, and then says, "So, being as I believe the Bible is the Word of God too, the same as you say, I am not actually looking so much for a clear understanding outside of what God has already told me, as I am trying to follow what He has already told me without adding or subtracting from it. I believe the offer doesn't necessarily come from Him, and what he wants from me is to go my way in a relationship with him, walking with him, as the good book says:"

Dirt Nap finally recites, "Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, or with ten thousands of rivers of oil? shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God."

8. Likes unlimited sink liked this post

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

When Dirt Nap, open member of the Ordo Dracul, begins quoting scripture at her, Patience stares at him in frank disbelief.

Several feelings war inside of her: distain and contempt at a member of the Damned outside of the church attempting to speak to her about Faith. Wonder at the strangeness of this Savage, who seems so naive and so alien at the same time. A faint, but undeniable, Happiness at hearing those familiar words, passages from the Good Book she knows so well. Knew so well in life.

By the time he's finished his disquisition, Patience has found her composure. She has also identified Dirt Nap's tragic mistake: this wolf still believes it is a lamb.

"Mr. Nap, I am pleased to hear those passages again. Thank you." Her sincerity is edged with a sinister tone. Her curse or something else, something truly dangerous?

"But I repeat: those are words meant for men. And you are no longer a man. You are Damned. Your sin has borne its fruit. And you have eaten of it. You have suffered the plague and your name has been taken out of the book of life. Until the end of time. You are required by the Lord to do other than justice, mercy, and humility."

She draws herself up. For a moment, her eyes roll back into her head. A shudder runs through her undead flesh. She is grotesquely transformed by her belief.

"When the Centurion pierced the side of Jesus, our Lord made Flesh, he was made to See. And what he saw was the purpose of our Damnation. That we should do Good by way of Evil." Patience leans closer to Dirt Nap. And yet her body appears just as rigid as before. She smells, faintly, of the grave.

Now it is her turn to cite a Holy Text: "Remember, though you bear the form of man, you are transformed by Holy Censure. No longer is it your purpose or your prerogative to live the three score years and ten of the children of Adam."

A pause. Patience seems enraptured. Taken wholly by the words. The effects on her face are hideous: "Instead, you shall feed upon mortal blood, a hunter and a scavenger of those whose souls may yet be saved. We are God's holy monsters, and as predators above predators we must use our prowess wisely. We, who have been exalted by our Damnation, must show God's purpose to the kine through our superior predation."

The citations are not exact. But her purpose here is not academic. It is evangelical.

"Turn to our book, Mr. Nap. We are beyond the help and the comfort of the Bible. We have another task now, ordained by the Lord our God. I can help you, to step onto the path. If you are ready."

10. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap listens intently as Patience quotes in turn from her own holy text. Then he hears her question and answers. “I’m sorry Ma’am. I accept that I am not the man I was, not of the Kine, but I suppose I am still closer to a neonate than not; I still have enough naivety to get some comfort from the Good Book that I leaned on so heavy in my breathing days. I am NOT ready to be done with it for a new one.”

”He’s thoughtful for a moment, and says, “So in that last part I quoted, I pretty much laid out my goal. How bout you, Bishop Patience? Is your quote saying why you’re hear? To punish the Kine of this city?”

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

Then you are doomed, Patience wants to say. Or simply bare her fangs, hiss at the savage. To be offered a part in the Lord's plan. And turn it down. For an illusion, a fantasy. The hubris of it all.

But she does no such thing. Because he has not said No. Only that he is Not Ready.

Instead she offers him a benevolent smile. Or it would be benevolent. If her unblinking eyes didn't make her look so damn hungry.

"Time, Mr. Nap. Time. You have all the time in the world to be ready. And when you are, I will be here for you." She means this. It is her duty. "Perhaps, if you would like, we could discuss more passages from the Testament another evening. So you might gain a deeper understanding of that Holy Book..."

Everyone wants to know her mission tonight. Everyone wants her to explain her motives.

"It is the mission of every member of the Damned to prey upon the living. It is the Will of God and I can only obey."

She pauses.

"Beyond that, I have a more specific task: to speak with Kindred such as yourself, Mr. Nap. And to bring you the Word of Longinus, to make you see that the Lord has a purpose for you yet. That your Damnation is not in vain."

To save you, you fool.

13. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap is still and stares at Patience, apparently listening intently as she speaks.

Well. I can see you’re sincerely concerned for me. I thank you for that, Bishop Patience.” he says, finally. “You do give me a lot to think on. I do appreciate the opportunity to talk about spiritual things, and I won’t say ‘no ‘ if you want to tell me more about what you believe, even knowing that I am holding to the belief from my breathing days, in the God who doesn’t delegate either judgment or punishment to anyone but Himself.”

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

Mention of the Necropolis by the Acolytes draws Patience’s attention once again. Her dead eyes hold steady on their little convocation. It’s become too much, waiting.

Dirt Nap’s words draw a nod from the Haunt, her head wobbling on her neck. Her unblinking gaze still locked on Alice and her compatriots.

”The Lord chooses the appropriate instruments to work his Will, Mr. Nap. His hand moves us all and so, you see, there is no contradiction.” Getting the Savage to understand will, indeed, take time. But Patience is, well, patient. At least in this regard.

“I would be glad to continue our discussions in private at a later date. You can reach me by phone,” Patience rattles off her telephone number, “or by letter left in Elysium. For now, though, I must attend to family business.”

Patience will wait another beat for Dirt Nap’s reply before departing.

Ready to wrap! Thanks for the scene!

16. Likes Ruach liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread