DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"I hope you will forgive the delay in my introduction. I realize you've taken residence in Her Grace's Domain since the Summer's beginning. My former role as Deputy kept me distracted from simple pleasantries. My cousin, Adam Exlibrist, took residence here until recently. He too was Sanctified, hailing from San Francisco on an urgent task for the Church who had interests in restoring the Faith here in Sacramento, and a Chapel, the House of Moore. I'm afraid he did not get very far."

He looks uncomfortable, eyes darting away now and then as though he cannot look at her for any real length of time.

"I understand your predecessor, Mr. Garcia, was aware of these matters. Tell me, have you heard much of the Lancea Sanctum's activities prior to your arrival? And what interests might you have that brings to here?" A slight pause. "If you don't mind my asking..."

2. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse
    Something is...off about Patience’s face. Or is it her body as a whole, the way she carries herself? Something’s not quite right in any event, though you can never seem to say exactly what that may be. A subtle asymmetry of her features, an odd cock of the eye or twist of the lips? A barely detectable wrongness in the set of her limbs, in the rhythm of her walk? An unlocatable strangeness: it’s all the more disquieting because that ‘something’ can’t be named, tracked down, and assigned a place. In fact, it seems to change moment to moment, depending on where she is in the room and where you are in relation to her.

NOS
    PRE

Forgiveness? Patience does not reply. Forgiveness is not her business.

“I know enough. About their failures.” Her tone is acidic. Frankly she had not known until Thomas informed her of the Church’s recent history in the domain. She was not impressed.
    “You are a curious creature, Mr. Mitnick.” A comment on his interest or on Derek himself?

”Why?” Why is he so curious? Why should she tell him anything about her ‘interests’?

The force of her attention remains fully on the Shadow. Her look could scare the flies off a ripe corpse. She’s watching for the lie. For the sin. As always.

Looking for a Lie, 2 suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-05 06:36:31 Patience rolls 6 to Gauging his Honesty Wits2 + Empathy 3 + Spec1 (10 Again) 8, 4, 9, 3, 2, 4 2 successes

4. Likes Ruach liked this post

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Concealment, 3suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-05 06:59:20 Derek Menzies rolls 6 to conceal intent/emotions/untruths [MAN+Sub] (10 Again) 8, 9, 8, 3, 6, 6 3 successes

For all her careful scrutiny, any hint of intent or untruth from the timid Shadow does not make itself known. His tone, at least, is apologetic.

"In regards to Mr. Exlibrist, I was perhaps not as supportive as I could have been when he was having a difficult time acclimating within the Domain. I suppose in my guilt I wish to offer you a more pleasant welcome and to caution you against the...er, mistakes of his and Mr. Garcia's."

"Not to suggest that you require my counsel. If anything, I would welcome yours," he adds hastily.

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse
    Something is...off about Patience’s face. Or is it her body as a whole, the way she carries herself? Something’s not quite right in any event, though you can never seem to say exactly what that may be. A subtle asymmetry of her features, an odd cock of the eye or twist of the lips? A barely detectable wrongness in the set of her limbs, in the rhythm of her walk? An unlocatable strangeness: it’s all the more disquieting because that ‘something’ can’t be named, tracked down, and assigned a place. In fact, it seems to change moment to moment, depending on where she is in the room and where you are in relation to her.

NOS
    PRE

Despite his furtiveness, the Shadow has some wherewithal. Good for him.

Patience unclasps her hands. They fall to her sides, hanging there like strange, pale fruit.

”Your guilt, Mr. Mitnick?” Her face twitches. The spasm occurs just below her left eye.

Their sin was Pride as I understand it. And over what? Your cousin wanted a house? What could a house matter to the Lord?”

A long pause. “He wanted it for himself. And the other one, Garcia the Lord? No better.” Monomancy for something so trivial? And in such a forum? No, better to teach the lesson in other, more private ways. Garcia wanted to make a show of it. And he paid for his presumption.

She takes a step closer to Derek. If he is breathing, he can smell her. It is not a good smell.

”My mandate is not the same as my predecessors. I serve the Church. Always. But in other capacities.”

Not that she will reveal the substance of that difference.

”What counsel do you require?” Her tone has softened just slightly. Though it is no less off-putting. Is he curious about the Faith? She waits for him to explain himself. Patiently.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek stiffens at Patience's approach, his body reacting to the proximity of her Beast.

"A.as I, uh..understood it, Mr. Exlibrist also believed to serve the Church. That it was those Sanctified in San Francisco that tasked him with the house's acquisition. That it was his passion that fueled his insistent nature. N..not always a poor characteristic. I had thought the Sanctified required a sacred place of worship. Perhaps that would explain his motive."

"As for counsel, should you wish to give it, I do wish to know the Church's stance on how Kindred aught to regard and treat each other throughout our Requiem. More than just the congregation, how are we to treat our fellow Damned?"

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

“The Church is not in San Francisco. The Church is everywhere there are believers. I am here and so it is here.”

Passion? She offers the Shadow a smile. Dead flesh twists into a mockery of mirth.

”Passion is dangerous, Mr. Mitnick. We serve because we are required to, not because we are passionate. Our desires are beside the point.” This was precisely the nature of Exlibrist’s sin. “And no place is essentially sacred. Only the Faith of those who worship. A house, a shack, a hole in the ground. To the Lord, it is all the same.” It is all dust.

An odd line of questioning. What might Derek actually want?

”The Damned have been set a certain task by the Lord. We are all meant to accomplish that task. Alone and together. Do you know what that is?”

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

“I see,” Derek replies with a note of concern or disappointment. He had hopes that Adam was not the reckless zealot he made himself out to be, though by Patience’s clarification such behavior may not be one encouraged by the Church. For now he has no other source to consult.

“As I recall, that task is to be the demons of darkness that lurk in the shadows among the Kine, to punish the wicked so that the righteous may reflect and ascend. My Sire did think it appropriate to inform me of the teachings of the Second Estate,” he explains.

“If I may ask, you say you serve the Church in...other capacities. What capacities might those be?”

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

Patience picks up that note of disappointment. More blood in the water.

”Do my words trouble you, Mr. Mitnick?”

The arrival of Alice Hart draws her attention for a moment. Her head swivels toward the other haunt, dressed so similarly to herself. Her neck gives a series of loud crunches and pops.

A cousin? It seems likely. Something to look into after her current conversation.

She returns her attention to Derek. There’s something about the set of her jaw, the way she purses her lips. Like there are too many teeth in her mouth.

”You are correct. We are the wolves among the living. And as wolves, we are at our best when we move in a pack. We are meant to work together. To achieve our goal. It is the Will of the Lord.”

She pauses, shifts her weight. Clasps her hands before her again.

”Was your sire of the Dark Faith?”

His curiosity is annoying. But also an opportunity. It could be harnessed.

”I have a dispensation. To convert. By means...outside the normal channels pursued by the Church.”

Soon, Patience will perform miracles. If all goes according to plan. If she keeps Faith.

11. Likes liked this post

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Only in that it saddens me that my cousin's actions may have had no redeeming quality," Derek admits, his voice softening.

He blinks curiously at Patience's diverted attention and the awkward swivel of her neck. His eyes follow and spy the doll-like woman in attendance. He shudders at the jarring product of imitated beauty, a porcelain mannequin.

"My sire served the First Estate but held great respect for the Second and was in attendance at Mass as a layman," he answers before continuing. "Family of yours, I gather? I will not keep you from you newly acquired duties as Priscus. If you would like, I would be happy to continue this conversation outside of Court, at your convenience."

He produces a business card from his hoodie pocket and offers it to Patience, containing his phone number and email.

Presence
    (Blunt)
    Contacts
    (Street)
    Patience

Nosferatu Curse

NOS
    PRE

“Do not be sad, Mr. Mitnick. We all sin. And we are all punished.” Her voice is the furthest thing from comforting.

“The First Estate harbors many who keep the Faith. I am glad to hear your sire was among them.”

She accepts the card. Her fingers brush his. Her skin feels coarse. Rough. Something like a cat’s tongue.

“I believe you are correct. I should attend to my cousin. I will contact you soon to continue our discussion.” Could this Shadow be her first convert in Sacramento? Only time will tell.

”Go with God, Mr. Mitnick.” And with that, Patience leaves Derek to his own devices.

Thanks for the great scene!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread