DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

“I agree. That is all too true in the advancement of computer technology. It’s integration into Kine societal infrastructure in the past several decades is uncanny. Though I suppose I limit myself to one science than broader fields of knowledge. It started as a personal passion and then became a necessary tool for survival. It allows me to acquire and move untraceable finances and skirt the attention of Kine authorities as well as a means of controlling the Kine from a position of anonymity. But I have been branching out some. The expansion of my information network, for example, incentivizing and motivating it’s members. I’m sure you know all about that.”

He recalls the useful information Jack was able to provide during their joint effort to investigate Echelon.

“And I imagine the Law is a significantly dynamic field. Always changing based on the political climate. It’s hard to sift through the noise on message boards. Does it keep you on your toes or is the reality less of a spectacle than the Kine make it out to be?”

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nodding, "The stark difference in the digital world from even thirty years ago is unprecedented. Where once you had to pick up books and wait for broadcast interviews, now you can hear what the President thinks at his every whim. We are all so... connected now."

He chuckles quietly before continuing, "There are studies that suggest this has had a negative impact on younger generations. Once upon a time if you had an argument with individuals at school, home was a sanctuary where people could cool off or separate their focus to more important things. Now Facebook and text messages keep everyone and every opinion at your fingertips and drama at the forefront of our minds."

"It certainly does. I can say that once you have a general sense of the way things are it is much easier to keep track of things as they change. Depending on the subject of a case, you can't really assume that something can be defended or prosecuted the same way as before. You have to do your homework from the ground up and make sure that there are no new, exploitable loopholes that have been created in legislation." He shrugs his shoulders, "I was successful in passing the BAR again, so I'm able to influence Kine legal matters that we may have interest in."

Flipping a hand over, "Now, my science academics are mainly focused around biology. I'm curious with your expertise in computers how you've felt about those two fields starting to cross paths with each other. Technology has led to 3D printing functioning body parts or heart valves and the like. I imagine the amount of programming that would have to go into such a thing would be daunting."

Blood Hunt:

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek nods, seemingly thoughtful at the mention of culture shifts and Kine behavior.

"You certainly do pay attention to the movements of the Kine. I might even mistake you for a Carthian if I didn't know better. Before you expressed your interest in the Ordo's philosophy of Change I would have thought you leaning towards the Unconquered."

He forces a small smile and continues on.

"You'd be surprised how little programming crosses over to the medical field. Programming is a structure, a framework, a malleable tool honed for a singular purpose. That structure comes in the form of software that visualizes raw data into a visual format, representation of virtual space that corresponds with physical space. I doubt any of the programmers that build the software involved in 3D printing know much of anything about medicine. But once the framework is in place it can be purposed toward manipulating that medical data."

"I would say that it is amazing the applications that programs hold over all fields of study and industry. 'There's an app for that' as they say. It's such a versatile instrument, suitable for automating what might normally be considered the tediousness of most efforts, allowing for higher reasoning and functionality to move forward."

"If you had need of such a program, that would not be beyond my capabilities. Though to be honest, anything you might want probably already exists on the market."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque grinned at the statement, "I was once called a chameleon in that regard. Now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure if it was intended to be a compliment." He shrugs his shoulders, "I came to Sacramento wanting to pursue intelligent discussion with the ancient society of scholars known as the Ordo Dracul. What I saw here gave me a bit of pause. It could have been simply the... structure of the local chapter at the time but I didn't have confidence that I would find what I was looking for." Gangrel really aren't known for their academics after all.

He sat back, relaxing his posture slightly in his chair, "Truth be told, I can not say with any certainty that if I were offered an invitation to the First Estate that I would turn it down. My relationship with them has been mutually beneficial as you probably already know. On the other hand, remaining unaligned has been enjoyable for the lack of bias. Who knows what the future holds?"

He grins at the lingo, apparently amused that he recognized the phrase, "I will keep that in mind if the need arises." Smiling in earnest, "It seems your talent with computers has few bounds. I truly admire it." Tilting his head as if remembering something, "As a lawyer, you might or might not know that I have to spend a significant amount of time sifting through bullshit." Chuckling quietly, "Hell, let's be honest. As a Kindred I have to spend a significant amount of time sifting through bullshit, but where my skill in recognizing deceptions is more based on body language and tells I hear that your blood can tell a lie just by shimmers of light. Is that true or is it not quite as simple as it sounds?"

Blood Hunt:

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"It wasn't. Just an observation," explains Derek passively.

"My interest in the Ordo Dracul also began shortly after my arrival to this city. And for much the same reasons as yours I delayed that decision. It seems foolish now, that when I finally decide to commit myself that nearly the entirety of the order vanishes. But one can never tell what the future holds, as you say. Better late than never, I suppose," he muses with some bitterness in his voice.

"Just between you and me though, I wouldn't judge you for picking one or the other. There are some aspects of the Invictus I admire, just as there are some I admire of the Movement. The Unbound do enjoy a certain influence of their own as well. The lack of bias, certainly, and the attentions of recruiters. And you can take as much time as you like, but you don't actually gain anything from them until you make that commitment. I waited and I may have missed some opportunities because of it."

He lifts his hand to his eyes to rub the bridge of his nose for a moment, as if nursing his regret.

"Mm, but yes, you're correct. Auspex, I think you mean. My Sire was a master of it. It is as if all others are transparent, and thoughts and emotions are like hues of stained glass. He could read my every thought and intent, whether I wished it or not." He seems uncomfortable while describing it. "Though I was not blessed with that aspect of my Clan, so I cannot speak from personal experience."

6. Likes Killian liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque shrugged, appearing to take no offense from the observation.

"It isn't foolish. If you could not fully commit yourself to it then it was better to wait." Some choices you don't get to take back.

"Oh," though his phrasing was a little strange, "That is remarkable. Had the past spoiled the idea of it or do you simply not find any benefit in seeing through bullshit and reading minds? You have to admit that it could have good use as Reeve." He folded his hands under his chin, "It would be absolutely invaluable to a Lawyer." Shaking his head, "I was thinking of mundane uses like verifying potential clients or knowing when to press harder on a witness during cross examination. To be able to read the opposing counsel's thoughts? Hell, the jury?" He glows with envy as he ponders the gravity of that advantage.

Jacque is rolling just to see if Derek is lying about not knowing Auspex
      2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-13 20:38:40 Jacque rolls 6 to detect lies/deception (WIT+SUB) (10 Again) 8, 5, 7, 3, 10, 2, 4 2 successes

Blood Hunt:

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Contested Roll, fail
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-14 13:50:51 Derek Menzies rolls 6 to contest Jack's scrutiny [MAN+Sub] (10 Again) 7, 3, 2, 6, 7, 1 failure
    Derek seems not only honest about not knowing Auspex, but the subject seems to be a point of discomfort for the Mekhet. Jack can feel confident that he has peered through any attempt to deceive him.

"It's not that I don't believe it has its uses. It's just that..." he hesitates. "I've focused primarily on concealment instead. If you had someone always watching, able to pry into any corner of your thoughts without ever anticipating it, wouldn't you try to do whatever you could to fortify yourself against it? Auspex and Obfuscation have always had a unique duality for the Shadows. Seeing without being seen. Perhaps under different circumstances I would have enjoyed its use."

Derek stands hurriedly, the discomfort mounting. "Well, not that this hasn't been a delight, but I should be going. I appreciate you making the time for my statement. If I recall, you offered a Trivial for the lockpicks. If I could call that favor in now, it would be not to mention the entirety of what we've shared tonight to anyone aside from the Prince and perhaps Dirt Nap. I have reasons not to be associated with the Ordo just yet."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"That makes complete sense," he responds with as much empathy for the circumstances he can fathom. His reason for concealment was not too far from his own reasons he pursued obfuscating his beast.

Noticing the movement to end the conversation, Jack also rises to his feet, "Of course. It has been... nice getting to know each other a little better. I will gladly honor that request, however I'm sure you understand that the Prince is not bound by that agreement. I can offer to convey your wishes along with the news though." Flitting his hand off to the side, "For what it is worth, I don't see her openly sharing the business of her new Reeve against his wishes."

Thanks for the scene, I'll keep it open for any last remarks

Blood Hunt:

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Certainly understandable. I am grateful for your discretion and passing along that sentiment to Her Grace," Derek says, confirming their mutual comprehension. "A good evening to you, Herald."

And with that, the Shadow makes his escape.

Great scene!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread