Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Equipment: Smart Phone, Lockpicks(Building), Running Shoes, Knife

Derek arrives at the Nox once more. It seems he frequents this place regularly since his month long absence. Perhaps making up for lost time. The attire hasn't changed. The usual black hoodie and grey jeans and sneakers. He isn't creative or fashionable, sporting function over form more often than not. He checks his knife in at the coat check and makes his way to the Herald's office as scheduled.

As he hovers outside the door he goes over the task he was given in his mind. The purpose of his visit and the potential consequences. Making a lasting commitment seems more difficult in the absence of Lina, but it would have to do. The philosophy of Change is at work.

He knocks upon the Herald's door thrice to announce his arrival and opens the door. He starts with the usual pleasantries, "Good evening, Herald Jack. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me once more. I trust the equipment I lent you is satisfactory. You may be pleased to know I have secured you your own pair of lockpicks as requested, unless you've grown attached to the ones I provided."

He sets the polyvinyl roll of expensive tools down on his desk before regarding him. "As I mentioned in my text, I had wished to share with you a declaration of intent. And that is thus, that I intend to join the Ordo Dracul as its newest member under Dirt Nap's guidance. He was quite explicit in that he wishes no misunderstanding that the Dragons mean to keep a low profile through the coming nights. I believe he means this to be in contrast with the former Grand Wyrm's designs. We wish to focus on our studies with little interference from potential political squabbles and so he thought it best your office be informed."

He pauses, still standing, gauging Jack's reaction. "Do you have any questions for me about this?"

Gauge Jack's reaction, 1sux
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-09-01 23:17:58 Derek Menzies rolls 4 to read Jack's emotional reaction [WIT+Emp] (10 Again) 7, 6, 10, 4, 3 1 success

2. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque lifts to his feet at the rapping of his door, "Good evening, Mister Mitnick." The office is no more decorated than before, possibly suggesting that there is no motivation for him to do so. His eyes widen briefly at the lockpicks provided before rebounding the decision back to his guest, "Please, I'll leave that choice to up to you. I know some grow fond of a particular tool and I would not wish to impose." As the words softly part his lips, he opens a drawer and produces Derek's loaned supplies.

He resumed his seat, barely noticing that Derek remained standing before he unloaded his news. Gesturing a hand towards a chair, "Please, feel free to have a seat." His eyes remained fixed upon the shadow briefly before responding, "I appreciate the gesture. Tell me, what did you think of the former Grand Wyrm's design?"

Jack seems rather pleased accompanied with overtones of curiosity evident from his questioning. Notably, he appears to be lacking any real amount of surprise of the news.

Blood Hunt:

4. Likes Ruach liked this post

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek trades Jack for his original set of lockpicks. "My thanks, I would prefer my own."

He sits, looking a little confused at Jack's unwavering acceptance of the information, and who is quick to pose his own question.

Derek answers, "It is no secret I greatly admire Ms. Moretti. For her diligence, her methods, and initiative. However, she was far from...subtle in her execution. Having acquired a Regency all her own and a great many subordinates, Prosper, Madcap, Vitale, Blackbird, Atticus, brought a lot of attention upon herself. She has been bold and direct because that was what was required of her as Sheriff, yet she never set aside her role as Grand Wyrm. I believe she sought and strove for the Change that Dragons hold dear. And so she may have challenged herself, and perhaps others, to acquire that Change."

He looks sad for a flickering moment. "I myself am not so bold. And I am young to the teachings of the Ordo Dracul. I seek a Change in myself only. Does that answer your question?"

6. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"It does not," Jacque responds almost bluntly. "I recall being quite pleased to meet Grand Wyrm Moretti and Her Majesty so quickly during my first formal court in Sacramento. I carried a great interest in the Ordo Dracul. I had been told it was a scientific community of research and devoted scholars and I came to Sacramento specifically seeking it out. I immediately recognized her directness and bold attitude. Hell, I even appreciated it. She too, taught me the importance of pursuing and recognizing change." He smiled, offering a moment to let it sink in that he had been working towards the same goal, "Do not be mistaken thought, it wasn't her chapter's large membership that garnered her attention."

He folds his hands under his chin, "To come here tonight and declare an intent to conduct business of your covenant in contrast to its former Grand Wyrm is suggesting that I convey this vow of good will to a higher authority." Tilting his head slightly, "For that to be effective for you, I'll need to be confident that you know what behaviors you'll be contrasting with, and why. That is the purpose of my question."

Blood Hunt:

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek seems to stiffen in surprise at Jack's replies, his eyes narrowing suspiciously or perhaps curiously. It wasn't a response he had anticipated.

"Ah, I see. I didn't realize you were a fellow admirer," he states before considering this. "The contrast, I suppose, would be avoiding taking any political stance that would prove disruptive among the other Covenants. Acquiring political influence in the form of Regencies, or encouraging disruptive behavior in Dragons who think themselves protected by a strong faction. These are distractions. Energy better spent on the focus of research and experimentation."

He frowns, something he's said doesn't sit well with him. "Not that I would say...that Ms. Moretti meant to engage in political squabbles. In truth I do not know her mind as well as I would have hoped. I know her dispute with Harpy Simmons was quite public, as well intended as it may have been. The intent that I mean to convey is an interest to avoid tensions, to avoid attention. And secrecy. The other Dragons have quit Sacramento or have been destroyed in their Change. This gesture is meant to clear the air and, as you say, convey a vow of good will to a higher authority. And like all gestures of good faith, it begins by opening a line of communication. Would you agree?"

10. Likes Ruach, Killian liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque shrugs, lifting his hands out to his sides, "I do agree, but whether she meant to, whether she enjoyed it or whether she had a self-serving political goal in mind with squabbles is honestly a moot point Mister Mitnick."

"Respect and discretion." He stated as he resumed a more relaxed state for his arms, "Those are the two things Prince Antinori asked of the Sheriff following her last public debacle and so I offer the same to you. It is impossible to ask everyone to get along with each other. That is simply against the nature of the beast. It is... inevitable for there to be bickering. What is demanded is that such squabbles be handled privately, and not to allow Court Officers to display such infighting so flagrantly. Repeatedly, she pursued this quarrel with the Harpy and used Court each time as her stage to do so, showing a contempt for proper decorum which is what attracted the Prince's displeasure."

Leaning back in his chair, "If you keep that in mind, I do not believe that you or Mister Dirt Nap are likely to draw on the Prince's ire." He let the positive message linger in the air before continuing, "However, if you were to I can assure you it would be based on your own actions and not simply some inherent prejudice against the Ordo Dracul."

"To that end I will communicate a high level summary of your declaration. You can choose not to seek any political aspirations in the short term but... all things change with time and I will communicate it in a way that you'll not make yourself a liar down the road or stifle your ability to change." He tilts his head, "Does that sound agreeable?"

Blood Hunt:

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Respect and discretion," repeats Derek thoughtfully after listening to Jack's concerns.

"I agree wholeheartedly," he answers with an enthusiastic nod. "That is perhaps better than I could have put myself. I am fortunate you are as insightful as you are well-spoken." Right, maybe laying it on a bit heavy... "Mm, I favor decorum and protocol. They lead to predictable and favorable outcomes. And I would prefer that I am judged for my own actions rather than other members of the Ordo Dracul."

He forces a smile. "I appreciate your candor, Herald. If we are in agreement on that matter, I wonder if I may change the subject to a less formal one? Though if you are busy with your duties I can schedule a conversation at another time?"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque smirks at the complement, "It is a matter of perspective. I perhaps have some opportunity to improve communicating intent, or not." He shrugs, "Some clearly wanted to pick a fight and heard only what they wanted to in order to escalate, others I attempted to save from missteps along the way." His smile turns more genuine, "Predictable is very good."

"Certainly Mister Mitnick, what else can I do for you?" he asks as he gently rolls up the tools from his desk and places them in a drawer.

Blood Hunt:

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

“We’ve been seeing much of each other lately. On business, of course. Crossing paths in the Echelon investigation and preparing for the Folsom prison, whenever that is supposed to happen. But I haven’t taken much time to get to know you. You practice law and have a scientific background don’t you? Is that a continuing passion?” he asks curiously, relaxed as neither felt the press of Beasts between them.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nodded, "I do, and it is..." He was surprised at the change to personal interest from the Shadow, but he was correct. Kindred tend to view each other as tools and assets first. "I am a bit of a sponge for information, Law and Science just seemed like the most versatile areas to focus my expertise. The timelessness of our Danse can be dangerous if we allow ourselves to stagnate, so I find studying.... critical in keeping up with the ever changing world around us."

He turned the question back at his guest, "How about you? What led you to your skill with computers? Do you have other proficiencies?"

Blood Hunt:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread