Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

(Derek and Dirt Nap Meet for Coffee)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Dirt Nap
    Blush of Life active. Equipment: Running Shoes, Smart Phone, Laptop, Knife

Touch of Shadow(Knife) 2suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-08-19 18:23:06 Derek Menzies rolls 7 to place Touch of Shadow on knife [WIT+Larceny+Obf] (10 Again) 1, 9, 4, 6, 3, 8, 3 2 successes

The renovated urban building that functioned as a roastery served the purpose of a public meeting place. Of course Dirt Nap had requested some privacy, but Derek did not know the Gangrel so well as to meet in some back alley or dimly lit park. Still, the late hour and the large patio area outside the roastery would be more than adequate, as would the free WiFi.

He wears his usual black hoodie and grey jeans over sneakers. He has already ordered two coffees that sit at least a foot away from his laptop on the table. The table being in a back corner away from the street traffic and remaining coffee enthusiasts, with a backdrop of vines creeping up a grated wall behind him. Another reason he chose this location was that it stayed open until 11pm, leaving plenty of time for the Savage to make his way to Midtown.

2. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

(blush of life)Vitae 1 Spent
    OCC
    PRE

A loud motorcycle with a broken muffler is audible in the distance in the night. Some twenty minutes later, Dirt Nap shows up, wearing a calico work shirt and denim jeans and a cowboy hat, all showing signs of travel and hard labor.

He nods as he approaches, not sitting at the table until explicitly invited despite that being the whole reason he's here.

"I appreciate it." he says by way of greeting.

Blush of life.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek raises a hand as Dirt Nap comes within view of his table, his vampire senses warning him of the approaching rival. The Beast's hackles rise and the rage boils in the usually timid Shadow's Vitae. It is a strange sensation since many of the Domain residents are elder predators. To have a peer that does not instill that oppressive fear required a different sort of self-control.

He forces a weak smile and waves Dirt Nap over before responding in a moderate voice that does not carry. "It's no trouble. I sometimes come here to monitor the internet traffic for vulnerable devices. I'll admit, I didn't expect you would want to speak to me in private. I thought myself a rather dull conversationalist the last time we spoke."

He lowers his voice more. "You don't have to drink the coffee. Just pretend to sip and we can dump it on our way out," he suggests. There were no waiters to bother them, though at some point they would be asked to leave when the place closed for the night. "And if you have things to share of a sensitive nature, we can whisper them to one another." Their vampire senses gave them that ability to pick up on tinier sounds, though it might seem strange if anyone were close enough to realize what they were doing.

His volume returns to normal, "So, what can I help you with?"

5. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods and actually smiles slightly. "You did just right, didn't draw any attention or give anything away." he says too softly for mortal ears, his lips obscured as he looks down at the cup.

He sits and raises the cup and smells it. Then he sets it down.

"It was your old friend the priscus who mentioned you to me when I approached her about learning to mask the beast. I ended up starting to learn from another teacher, but he's gone now too. And you were Moretti's choice, too." Dirt Nap muses.

"I am offering to help with anything official you might require of me as you seem to be the only law officer around now. That's a separate thing, freely offered for the good of the domain. But I also wonder what you would want for teaching obfuscation. Maybe a trade? A man who can talk to computers might benefit from being able to talk to beasts too
    ?" Dirt Nap suggests.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"An interest in Obfuscation, is it?" whispers Derek in that same barely audible reply. The focused enhanced hearing made their voices seem like breathy hisses, though still discernible when spoken slowly.

"Speaking to beasts... Prosper seemed to make good use of that, as I recall. But I'm afraid I have little use of that sort of thing. Though I'm not against teaching you how to Mask the predatory taint. If I may ask, how far did you go among the Dragons? And to what weakness do you attempt to overcome? As I am not initiated I will understand if you choose not to answer. But your answer may also determine my continuing interest in your Order."

How surprising that the meeting turned out to be an offer of exchange. Derek had no idea just how far along Dirt Nap has progressed among the Ordo Dracul, but a flicker of hope lights up inside him at the prospect.

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap takes an audible breath at Derek’s introduction of the Coils of The Dracul into the discussion.

Well.” He whispers so softly that even kindred hearing must strain to hear it.

Dirt Nap is perfectly still and silent for a long count, staring at Derek the whole time.

Then he says abruptly, “Your advice to claim the Order’s holdings.” he nods. “I did think that was a funny thing to say at the time. I’m the only one then.

”I have taught before, but my student ended up soulless and had to be destroyed.” he says. “I tend to think it was a lack of commitment on their part, but there it is; not a great track record and it’s a gamble for anyone who tries to Change.”

He goes silent. “Could be they just weren’t compatible with what I had to teach; all my interest is on internal Changes, nothing for show.” he murmurs thoughtfully to himself with obvious regret.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek stiffens as Dirt Nap admits to losing a student. Lina had said the same thing of Blackbird. So the risks truly were high when taking on the Change.

“As far as I know you are the only one currently in the Domain. But recent events concerning Moretti may explain her disappearance. I myself spent a great deal of time holed up in my Haven recently. Perhaps she took the same approach, though I doubt it.”

He isn’t sure just what Dirt Nap means by internal changes, implying there were external ones that existed. So he decides to pry further, continuing their whispered conversation.

“Internal changes interest me. Anything that might hold the Beast at bay. If that is something you can teach, I would be willing to join your order and teach you what you wish to know.”

Perhaps this is a possibility still. Though it is still a sensitive time for the Dragons within the Domain. Is it too soon, he wonders.

11. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

“Huh.” Dirt Nap says. He is still and silent for a long moment and stares at Derek.

”Well. That is interesting.” he whispers.

”Alright. I am willing. That arrangement is a bit more intimate though and would change things. I need to know that you know what you’re getting into, as much as that’s possible.” Dirt Nap says softly.

”First off, initiating and training you for Change can’t be a trade. I still want to learn obfuscation, but you’ll have to take a minor boon or rethink the Value of animalism, which I would actually advise in a minute, but either way, what you would owe me for taking you on would be trust, or at least obedience. That’s nonnegotiable
    .”

Dirt Nap forces air through his lips in a sigh. “The first Change I made was to force my shell to a state where as long as I have one drop in my body, I can shut down frenzy before it starts, no matter how tired or angry or afraid I am.” he says. “It took me a year of slavish obedience to a crazy person whose orders made no sense at all and were always irritating, uncomfortable, painful and humiliating. And then I came as close as you can imagine to losing my mind when I went under to actually change.”

”When you first join up, your title isn’t student or initiate or seeker of enlightenment or anything like that. The first title is slave.”

Dirt Nap stares at Derek. “You needs to understand, I’m the furthest thing from Moretti. I’m not a recruiter and I’m piss poor at political. I am just here to learn. Anything that cuts into my studying is at best a necessary evil. If I train you, I will not be trying to make you succeed; I will be trying to make you quit before you fail and die. If you succeed it will be your own self that does it, and it will be a miracle. I’v done it twice, and the first time is where you learn whether you can do it or not.”

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Now it is Derek’s turn to be silent as he shuts his laptop and looks hard at the cup of coffee he had ordered. He lifts it and pretends to sip, letting the now room temperature liquid wash against his lips.

He sets it back down and returns his gaze to Dirt Nap.

“Fortunately, Moretti has already clued me in on these factors. In truth, should you choose to believe it, she had already accepted me as an initiate and planned to announce it at the next meeting of Dragons. I have had time to prepare myself mentally, but it is still a terrifying prospect for how you describe it.”

He pauses again and looks around their surroundings, looking for signs of Kine interest or even a hidden Kindred among the remaining patrons before continuing.

“I accept your terms and a Minor Boon, for whenever we regain a Harpy. And I will commit whatever resources I have to assist the order. If I am unworthy then that will be apparent during your testing. Knowing this, are you willing to accept me as Slave under your guidance?”

The question is as much to judge Dirt Nap’s conviction. Derek knows he is throwing a lot at the Savage who had very different plans for their meeting. If Dirt Nap possesses the knowledge he desires then the Shadow would not pass the opportunity up again.

Kaze
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco
    Kaze

Striking Looks (Fit and Healthy Glow) 2
    Matt Joule
    Dirt Nap
    Alfonso Franco

+2
    SL
    PRE