Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Lucky Eights pool hall was one of Rhodes' common places to fleece unsuspecting mortals of their hard-earned dollars. Or, as it was advertised, "winning a poker tournament". Still, the private rooms were reasonable and for a small tip the privacy suddenly became a lot more assured.

The Dread Lord of Autumn sat at a table in one of such rooms, the red flowers blooming at his temples. His black suit was immaculate, with a red silk shirt and black tie. Over it all, a coat of roiling thunderclouds twists and writhes.

The icy breeze swirling in an agitated way around the Fairest had lowered the temperature in the room to a cool Fall ambiance. Rhodes leaned back in the chair, sipping a glass of scotch and waiting. He checked the clock - a few minutes to eight. Not that he expected this caller to be on time, but he would be damned if he wasn't here and ready.

He shuffles the cards - he hardly expected the forceful neanderthal on the end of the phone to want to play, but it was a pleasant feeling.

Soon, the nature of the latest Autumn Courtier would be revealed. He had a feeling they would be interesting.

Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

2. Likes liked this post
    B
    Blaire

Tempting as it was, Blaire didn't slam the doors of the Lucky 8 off their hinges, though she did nearly knock an old gentleman over as she came in. It was an accident, of course, and she caught the frail old billiard player before he could fall, her strong hands closing around his biceps. They were like chicken bones, and Blaire caught a delicious little tickle of fear as those watery eyes stared up at her through those wide, bifocal lenses.

"Sorry, paps," she said as she let him go and stepped aside. She had somewhere to be, after all.

She approached the bartender and slapped down a crisp 100. "Van winkle, 15 year," Blaire demanded, turning so that he'd catch the shock of red splashed across her Kill 'Em All tank top, the signal she knew the bartender had been waiting for. She took the bourbon with her as she prowled to the back room, pausing only to pull two small objects out of her pocket before she went through.

"Got you a present,"
    she called to the Ash leaf wreathed monarch, and tossed him first one, then two little gifts.

The first was a brass cylinder, about as long as Rhode's index finger, and capped with a flat tip of lead. The second was a red cylinder, with a brass end, about as thick as his thumb. It was obvious, after a moment, what they were. A 45-70 bullet, and a shotgun shell.

Blaire took a seat across from Rhodes, and took a sip of her bourbon.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The door swung open an Rhodes looked up at the powerful Ogre bearing down on him, taking in the horns and rippling wall on muscle. She really was, like Penance, very fetching in an Amazonian kind of way. You know, the kind that really could rip you in half if they truly wanted.

Still, at least it looked like she had a reasonable taste in drinks.

He catches the shell and the bullet, and looks at them for a moment before setting them upright on the table in front of him. Bullet, and guns, were not his forte and so calibers were impossible to gage, though he could recognise a shell when he saw one. "Hmm. I do so love presents. Should one of these have my name on it?" He asks wryly. The icy, spine-chilling breeze ripples across the table, and he sips his scotch.

"Perhaps we might arrange a little mutual security. Something simple, and agreeable. We swear that that we will not serve the Gentry or their agents in any way, nor will we seek to bring physical harm to each other or members of the Freehold of Sacramento. This we Vow for one moon, lest our fortunes turn against us. But while we hold true, so will the aim of our hand. Perhaps then some proper introductions can be done, hmm?"

The words roll easily off his tongue, making the pledge sound almost trivially acceptable. The skill with bullets was a guess, but given the gift? An educated one.

The Dread Lord watches the Ogre carefully, still composed, yet still ready to defend himself.

Pledge: Vow
    Task: Forbiddance (will not serve the Gentry or their agents, nor harm each other or Freehold members)
    Boon: Adroitness (Firearms)
    Sanction: Curse (success on 9&10 only)
    Duration: 1 month
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

5. Likes liked this post
    B
    Blaire

Blaire smiled as the King stated his pledge. It was fitting, for a Dread Monarch, to so casually wield the power of the Wyrd. She agreed to the pledge. It would put them on a mutual footing, even if his hope had been to trap her in a web of intentions. The bullet and the shell had always been intended as a gift, after all.

"If introductions have come 'round, then I suppose I'll begin. I'm Blaire Borden,"
    the muscled Ogre said, "and I'm a hunter. Poacher, some might call me, butcher others. Doesn't much matter. What matters is that, that bullet I gave you, and that shell, are a promise. Not a threat. If there's ever a fell beasty, on this side of the Hedge or the other, you just give me one of those back and tell me what needs doing, and I'll put that lead where it belongs. So, like I said, it's a gift. Two Birds, and you can consider me the Stone. Does that put you at ease, Pennywise?"

-1WP to secure the pledge.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The bonds snap shut and the Autumn courtiers are bound through the Wyrd. The Dread Lord smiles, without mirth, thinking. The gifts were symbolic and practical. He certainly could use them.

"Quite apt, if your skills live up to your boasts - and yes, it does, though stop with the clown references. I hardly look like a Tim Curry impersonator. I am Rhodes, the Ashern Sovereign."
    He sips his scotch.

"So tell me, Blaire Borden. What brings you to our little slice of California?"

0 Scenes

Please remember to record your pledge in the appropriate place!

And please use the Power Icons to show the WP expenditure

B
    Blaire

"Don't remember making any boasts, Dread Lord,", Blaire drawled, meeting the blooming man's gaze. He didn't strike her as a petty tyrant that had to prop up his own ego by obsessively tearing down those around him, but he was definitely needling her.

She considered why around a mouthful of Van Winkle, savoring the symphony of cherry, cedar, and honey that wove their way through that glorious amber liquid. It was a hell of a mental pallette cleanser, and Blaire's burning gaze fell to the depths of her glass as she considered.

It must be because of the texts. He was probably still pissed about that, or he was just trying to test her and see if she was different in person. That was probably it.

"As for why I came here, it's not that complicated. Low population means a wilder Hedge, and that means good hunting. You? I'd hazard a guess that you don't like being Lord all by your lonesome."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes' lips turn up, now Blaise seems to be acting more civilly. "You guarantee to take out something. That is akin to a boast, or your confidence rivals the most assured of my kithmates. I honestly look forwards to seeing which it is," He says, smiling, and sips his own drink.

Also it seems the Ogre is rather well-informed. "Now that is curious. Who said I was alone? I would love to know. Not strictly true, although Autumn is on the smaller side here. At least your reasons make sense - we have an avid Hedge-diver or two that you may be interested in meeting, if that takes your fancy." A pause - the breeze blows about gently, spinning leaves into existence. "Myself? I have made no secret that I pursued my doppelganger here. It has proved a most elusive quarry, even for me. But I feel I am getting closer."

He leans back in the chair, watching her. "Now, I hate to make foolish assumptions. What brought you to the Leaden Mirror, Ms Borden? Any particular interests you how to put to good use?"

11. Likes liked this post
    Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Gentle nudge CompassRose

B
    Blaire

Sorry, had to buy new router, delayed me Xadun

The Dread Lord's question brought Blaire back to those mornings a veil of grey descended down from the mountains, enveloping her family's home in chill mist and fog. She could remember peering out the windows at that impenetrable sea of roiling white and grey and seeing indistinct, shapes prowling through the mist. She could still feel the cool touch of that mist upon her skin if she went deep enough into her mind, though there were other, worse things that lurked even deeper down in the depths of her memories. Things that crept soundlessly the woods, things that seemed to materialize from the trees themselves, and water their roots with fresh life blood...

"My people," Blaire finally said, "know their share of joy and sorrow, it's true, and for some there's a streak of mean in 'em that runs deeper than any vein of coal on this earth, but we're a people of stories. A people that watch the mist, and the moon, and the shadows 'neath the trees, and know that it's our knowledge and our fear that'll keep us safe. There-ins worse things than bears up in those woods, and worst things then the currents in those cricks. So not much's really changed for me, you see. I'm still a hunter, still someone who listens to the old stories, and seeks to learn whatever I can to keep stayin' alive."

She downed the last of her bourbon, letting the bold flavors and alcoholic burn to wash some of the memories away, and then met the Autumn King's eyes.

"You?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread