Ended
Watch

A Barbecue Down By the River

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    B
    Blaire

The Lost had their own way of communicating. Spreading messages. Getting the word out. Blaire wasn't great at it, she preferred your classic dead drop in the Hedge to trying to put a clandestine flyer up, but she tried.

The jist of the message was: BBQ Down By The River. Free meat. Bring Your Own Brews.

That was it. If the others came, they came. If they didn't, eventually Blaire would sniff them out. Didn't matter much to her. She'd butchered a deer this weekend last, and didn't want it to go to waste, so she'd grabbed some charcoal and tried to put the word out. For now, she was content to wait.

She was sitting on the back of her van, the loading doors flung wide. The van was a hulking thing, an old delivery vehicle that had been turned into a food truck, and then sold off for cheap at a police auction after a robbery had gone wrong. She'd ripped most of the appliances out, installed a bunk and some shelves, and thought it a comfortable way to live. Only the ice box and a small gas range remained, the only signs of the van's former life. Oh, and the disembodied pigs heads that adorned the sides of the van. She'd left those. Added a little red paint dribbling down from the necks. Suffice to say, she wasn't bothered much, which suited her fine.

The wind off the river was cool, a soothing breeze in counterpoint to the glare of the sun, and she luxuriated in the feeling, the memory of lounging by an Appalachian creek during those long summer days floating as pleasantly as a drifting leaf through her mind. The huckleberry cider also helped. About the only thing she liked about California so far was the cider. A whole mess of cider breweries were scattered up and down the west coast, and she couldn't get enough. It was that, or bourbon, though this wasn't bourbon weather. Maybe after dark...

A
    Abraham Norton

Although the note didn't say exactly where on the river's shore the BBQ will be hosted, Abraham didn't mind much. He intended to get a good run, anyway - if he missed the party, no huge deal. The Flowering's clothing was simple - green shirt, green tracksuit bottoms. And a belt with the dagger attached and sheathed - just in case it was a Loyalist trap.

All fears of missing out on the gathering were instantly dispelled as the knight-errant saw the ripped Ogre, with her horned head and black eyes. The van looked like something out of a slasher movie, revealing the Brute had no qualms about revealing (and possibly overstating) her bloodthirsty nature.

"Quite an establishment" He says, setting down a bag with some beers he's bought on the way "I assume it was you who left the barbecue notice, Ms..." A question mark hanged in the air.

The Main Gauche, although sheathed, is perfectly visible on his person

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

An alluring young beauty, Sonnie Wu is 5'2" and lean-bodied, with a light, nimble step and eyes that seem to say "Hey, you know what would be fun?" Her reddish-brown hair often seems slightly unkempt, and an amused smile regularly plays on her lips. Sonnie is usually dressed casually or for outdoor activity. She almost always wears a pair of red leather tabi boots.
    Mien:

To the eyes of Fae, Sonnie's feet are like those of a monkey: Toes as long as fingers, with one on each foot being opposable like a thumb. A long monkey tail protrudes from the base of Sonnie's spine, covered in hair the same shade as her head. It appears to be prehensile, and often moves to react to her mood and dances about when she speaks, like people who "talk with their hands." Finally, her brown eyes turn golden.
    Mundane Equipment:

Smart phone, messenger bag, quarterstaff, 2 throwing knifes (concealed), 3 goblin fruit (changes by season), mountain bike.
    Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes

Dreaming, Cloak of the Elements

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    ••••
    Steepscrambler

Monkeys were curious creatures, and this Beast was no different. The written notice had caught her attention. At least the vague river location was a step up from when Seraphina had given away her home address in similar flyers.

The promise of food, too, drew the monkey girl to the area. Still, Sonnie was not a fool. Usually. Her animal instincts urged caution, and so it was that she was skulking about the riverside, staying out of sight as she scouted for the promised BBQ site. Eventually, she found it.

Hidden behind some nearby trees, the Spring Courtier made a visual study. The van was... something. The Ogress - and how could she not be of that Seeming with muscles like those? - was a sight to behold. And then there was Abraham. The Fairest had gotten here first, it seemed.

So Sonnie settled into her hiding spot to watch for now. If this was a trap, it would be Abe who sprung it.

And the Beast would then leap to his rescue. Probably. Maybe.

Hopefully it was just a new face trying to meet the locals, because the smell of roasting deer was making her hungry.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-08-18 13:28:52 Sonnie Wu rolls 5 to Hiding Monkey: Dex + Stealth (10 Again) 10, 1, 10, 5, 4, 9, 4 3 successes
    Spring Mantle (Scent of Flowers and Fruit)

4. Likes Origins, liked this post
    B
    Blaire

Blaire didn't stir from her deep recline when one of the Lost finally appeared, all in green, with a rainbow of flowers scattered throughout his hair, it was like a character had just stepped out of a storybook. Why, with the way he carried himself, and that knife at his hip, he actually reminded her of a particular picture she'd seen when she was a wee, small thing. In the picture, a man named Errol had fought valiantly against his foe on a massive, spiraling staircase of stone, so spectacularly that she'd never forgotten it. Even if it had looked more like dancing than fighting.

"I wouldn't exactly call something with wheels an 'establishment'," Blaire said after a moment, breathing in the floral scent carried to her, now, on the river breeze. "An' would be Mizz, not Miss, if you were trying to be proper. Not that I care. Ain't been proper in a long time, see no reason to start now. But you can call me Blaire. Now, tell me, which of these do you want to eat?"

She gestured to the charcoal barbecue in front of her. It was an old, iron thing, part of the waterfront park, rather than something she'd brought herself, but it was cooking the meat up fine. There were sausages, steaks, patties, and even something that looked quite a bit like bacon.

"If you'd been any later, it woulda been hard to tell which was the food, and which was the charcoal," she joked, leaning forward to flip some of the meat, muscle rippling beneath her forearm as she worked the spatula.

OOC, DV question

2 successes, no monkey see
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-08-18 21:31:27 Blaire rolls 6 to perception (wits+comp) (10 Again) 1, 8, 3, 5, 10, 7, 2 2 successes

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe had dressed down for the river gathering. Sandals, shorts, and a short sleeved tunic that was buttoned but did little to hide the shoulder bulge. She had a license to carry so fuck anybody that bitched about it. She also had two totes with her, one for cold things and another for bech stuff. It was down by the river after all. The former however had Acqua Panna and tequila bottles clinking within. She stopped upon spotting the pig heads, ears pulled back to her skull. Those ears bounced as she shook her head with a laugh, "Carina." It was fake, no flies, nor scent, and blood doesn't stay red that long.

Circe walks forward to join the gathering crowd, "Ciao Abe! And love the decor new girl! But hmm," Circe eyes she eyes Blaire, "Thought it was Matt Foley that lived in a van down by the river," the blue Fairest tilts her head in a faux display of thought, "Ya don't look like a Matt. Too pretty," she smiled before directing red eyes towards Abe, "Introductions started or not yet? We doin' game face names or name names? Or whatever the fanculo it's called ta use my real name."

Club speak could get confusing.

Hidden monkey hidden
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-08-18 23:04:12 Circe rolls 6 to Eye spy (10 Again) 2, 7, 1, 10, 7, 9, 7 2 successes
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

7. Likes liked this post
    A
    Abraham Norton

"Wheels or no, looks like a home to me" He says, spotting the bed and the stove and the ice box via the van's open doors "And it has style. You must've put some work in it" Granted, it wasn't his style. Especially the pig heads were a little over the top, even for him. But, who is he to judge?

"Nice to meet you, Blaire. Abraham" He extends a hand for shaking, steeling himself for the iron grip that is sure to come if it's accepted "I think I'll go with the meat patty" says the Flowering, fixing himself one and placing the beers he's brought on the nearest table-like surface, as if in exchange "And don't worry, I have plenty of experience eating burnt food. As a completely unrelated thought, I must introduce you to my friend Sonnie" Gods above, that pizza was really something.

And then Circe arrives, armed to the teeth with alcohol, beach accessories... and guns. Of course it's guns. "I believe some degree of openness is in order. Then again, I believe work matters can take a backseat, with team-building at the wheel?" The Fairest responds to Circe's doubts. Juggling clubspeak in front of a person unfamiliar with it was sure to turn awkward "Good to see you" He omits the name, lettinbg the blue elf choose her own for today.

"So, Blaire - what brings you to the City of Trees?"

Maybe it was a twig that snapped under Sonnie's foot, or maybe nothing else than a bit of luck on Abraham's part, but he is positive he's seen the monkey-girl hiding behind a tree. Not willing to 'out' her prematurely (the others don't seem to have noticed the skulking Beast), a passing glance is all Sonnie gets, but for that brief moment eye contact is maintained.

Better luck next time, Ms. Wu.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-08-19 02:01:23 Abraham Norton rolls 4 to Perception (Wits + Comp) (10 Again) 10, 8, 9, 6, 2 3 successes

OOC, DV answer

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

An alluring young beauty, Sonnie Wu is 5'2" and lean-bodied, with a light, nimble step and eyes that seem to say "Hey, you know what would be fun?" Her reddish-brown hair often seems slightly unkempt, and an amused smile regularly plays on her lips. Sonnie is usually dressed casually or for outdoor activity. She almost always wears a pair of red leather tabi boots.
    Mien:

To the eyes of Fae, Sonnie's feet are like those of a monkey: Toes as long as fingers, with one on each foot being opposable like a thumb. A long monkey tail protrudes from the base of Sonnie's spine, covered in hair the same shade as her head. It appears to be prehensile, and often moves to react to her mood and dances about when she speaks, like people who "talk with their hands." Finally, her brown eyes turn golden.
    Mundane Equipment:

Smart phone, messenger bag, quarterstaff, 2 throwing knifes (concealed), 3 goblin fruit (changes by season), mountain bike.
    Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes

Dreaming, Cloak of the Elements

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    ••••
    Steepscrambler

"Noooooooo!" came the yell, as Sonnie abandoned her stealth and came bouncing down towards the van and surrounding Lost. She skidded to a halt and pouted at Circe. "I wanted to do the Chris Farley joke! Curse you, Blueberry!" She sighed and her shoulders slumped, "Now the moment is gone. Forever. You could have at least done an impersonation!"

An arm raised an a finger pointed towards the other Fairest, "And you! I heard that crack about the pizza! I'll have you known Queen Ingrid quite loved it! So there!"

As quickly as her indignant outrage - as fake a sit was - appeared, it just as quickly vanished as the Beast turned to greet to Ogress. Now she was all smiles and friendly, hyper energy. "Howdy! I'm Sonnie! You're so swole! Did I use that word right? Do you really live in a food truck? That's one of my secret fantasies."

Not so secret, anymore.
    Spring Mantle (Scent of Flowers and Fruit)

10. Likes Origins, liked this post
    B
    Blaire

Blaire wasn't entirely sure how to take the energetic "blueberry" woman. Nor the joyful simian that came bounding out of hiding afterwards. Which, frankly, disturbed Blaire. To think, she'd been being spied upon, while her best defense lay locked away within the van. It wasn't a comfortable thought, though the bubbly demeanor of the women did put her at ease. It was usually prey that pranced around. Patience was the hallmark of the predator, followed by that one, explosive motion that beget the dance of death.

The meat patty lifted from the grill with the sizzle of boiling fat, and Blaire promptly plopped it upon a bun and passed it over.

"There's fixin's in the ice box. You're welcome to them."

She handed the burger over, though her spatula hesitated over the next piece of grilling meat. Which question to answer first?

"Yeah, I guess you could say I'm swole," Blaire said to the cheery monkey, "though when your body is what you rely upon for survival, it's something of a necessity. And no, it's not a food truck anymore. Used to be something to do with bacon, but now it's my little home.

"As for why I decided to roll my little home down here,"
    the Ogre continued, finally serving up a few more plates of food, "ain't exactly a mystery. I heard the Freehold was small. Heard there was a Dread King with a Court. So I decided to come. You?"

OOC

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe puts down the beach bag, "Cool then. Hiya, good day, ciao, and everything ta ya Blaire. Ya can call me Circe today, possibly complete utter bitch in the future, depends on how things go right?" Circe smiles with a shrug as she throws out that question. Circle is startled by the yell from a bouncing monkey. It is to her friend's good fortune that Circe's mind beats her reflexes as the buttoned up shirt is only half way opened before Circe begins re-buttoning it.

She snorts while addressing Sonnie, "Well I don't have the traits ta do a down by down by the river impression Sonny. Unless ya happened ta bring me enough coffee ta get me jazzed then maybe," a blue finger is waggled in Sonnie Wu's direction now that her shirt is buttoned again as Circe song out, "Shame on ya fer not thinkin' ahead."

Circe then turns her black and red eyes back to Blaire, thinking the antlers must make hats a bitch. "Cool idea then Blaire. I used ta be Summer's default queen. And I mean it exactly like that," she nods in amusement. It wasn't a food truck? Surprising considering the decor but there wasn't that. Circe facepalms, "Of course. Food truck'd have a menu on display. Yer truck don't." She pops out a glass bottle of water from her pack with a pocket multitool from her pocket.

"What?"
    she asks to nobody as she opens the bottle with the tool, "Did any of ya think I'd open a bottle on a new arrival's truck? That's bad etiquette. Have ta show some class when ya open a glass oh ho ho ho ho!"
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

A
    Abraham Norton

"Thanks" says Abraham, as he accepts the gift of meat.

Wild Sonnie appears! Abraham watches in amusement as the little monkey-girl chastises him and Circe, saying nothing at first.

"I got you" Sonnie wants an impression? Sonnie will get one - acting is what Abraham does for a living, after all. The Flowering clears his throat and starts up

5 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-08-20 08:14:38 Abraham Norton rolls 8 to Impression (Presence + Expression + DV + Specialty) (10 Again) 10, 8, 4, 3, 10, 2, 10, 7, 4, 9, 1 5 successes

"Now, let's get started by giving you a little bit of a scenario of what my life is all about. First off, I am 35 years old, I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van down by the river! I live in a van down by the river!" The physiques of Abraham and the character don't quite match, but the erratic movement and the tone are there "Hey, you kids are probably saying to yourselves: I'm gonna go out there and grab the world by the tail! and wrap it around and pull it down and put it in my pocket. Well I'm here to tell you that you're probably going to find out, as you go out there, that you're not going to amount to jack squat! You're gonna end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river!" The knight-errant is in perfect control of every muscle, even beads of sweat appear and disappear at his command. All - all - Fairest love an audience "And you'll have plenty of time to live in a van down by the river when you're livin' in a van down by the river!" Okay, that's enough. Abraham bows to his audience. If their stomachs are not ripped from laughter at that point, then truly - they are made of stone.

"I travelled a bit before settling here" He finally answers Blaire "Sacramento is more private than LA, and no less culturally vibrant - an easy choice for an aspiring actor. Besides, I like to think of myself as a bit of a... knight-errant, you could say. I lend my arm in the protection of our home and get great stories to tell after. Not a bad deal" If the Ogress thinks Abraham is jesting - he isn't. Apparently, the Fairest is serious about the knight thing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 20

You do not have permission to view the list of names.