DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Overhearing Thomas's remark to the Cheshire woman, Derek decides to forgo approaching the Prince just yet. Though he still keeps an eye and ear open on the Prince's activities while engaging with Jack.

He continues, "Acting as the Sheriff's Deputy, it falls upon me to recognize such things and report them to my superior. I realize much of the Laws refer to behavior within Elysium, though my questions fall outside of such sanctuaries. Would you be willing to share you opinion with me on what would be considered a 'Violation of allegiance toward Her Majesty'?"

2. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque tilts his head at the subject of Derek's question, "It would be impossible to frame an answer with some kind of a finite list of examples. Having such lists spurs ignorant arguments dealing in absolutes." He chuckled quietly, "If it isn't on the list, then it cannot be treason hmm?" Shaking his head, "A degree of common sense has to be exercised in determining whether or something is potentially treasonous. As a general rule of thumb, if actions or words appear like they are usurping, undermining or generally not serving in the best interests of Her Majesty then report it so that it can be investigated."

Looking outward toward the room, the new Lord had caught his attention. He bowed his head as their gazes met as he remained attentive to the current conversation. Considering the absence of the Priscus and Seneschal he would have to make sure to sit with her after she's been acknowledged by the Prince. For now, Domain duties took priority and at the very least Thomas was still ever eager to fill in details about their missing Priscus while the Keeper set up a discussion certain to attract the Prince. He smiled at Dirt Nap, but allowed Derek to make the decision on whether or not to invite him into the conversation.

"In my opinion, if a situation is questionable enough to raise this type of inquiry then you should report it." Jacque paused as he locked his eyes on Derek's, "That way your own character could not possibly be called into question by having known and did nothing."

Blood Hunt:

4. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap joins the conversation, at least physically, nodding to Derek in thanks for his invitation. Dirt Nap listens intently, not actually weighing in with any opinion on what might constitute a breach of the Law, new or old.

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

“That is a fair answer,” replies Derek, not meeting Jack’s gaze, either deliberately or out of a non-confrontational habit. Instead his head looks out in the direction that had caught Jack’s momentary interest.

“But as a purely hypothetical example, if the Sheriff or Deputy were to request the aid of an acknowledged resident of the Domain, and that request were met with refusal or the requirement of Prestation, in your opinion, how might that behavior be regarded under the Laws? Is it common sense that residents aid in the security of the Domain? Or is it common sense that residents be compensated for their services?”

The example might be all too familiar to Jack as the two had disputed over that very question not too long ago. Derek’s knowing tone might suggest he remembers that exchange very well. And perhaps Derek may already predict his answer.

At Dirt Nap’s approach, Derek regards him. “Good evening, Dirt Nap. I trust the horses continue to be in good health this summer?”

7. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

"Seems like it. At least their blood's as good as ever." Dirt Nap says softly, "And a good evening to you, Deputy Mitnick, and to you, Herald...? I am sorry, sir, I don't recall having the pleasure of knowing how you like to be called before I left these parts."

Dirt Nap watches and waits in long silence in which Jaque might give a name to go with the title or not. Then he says, "I don't mean to interrupt anything; I seemed to hear you all talking about changes, and I can't even begin to figure all the things that seem to have changed since I left for a spell just a couple of months ago. I was hoping to listen and maybe ask a few things..." he looks to Derek, "Like, if you don't mind, is the Sheriff still Ms. Moretti around here? Just for starters. And is Krieg still here, as a Deputy if not as Hierophant? He was a generous teacher, helping me towards learning at a thing I held dearly."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

“Jack,” he offers in response to Dirt Nap’s inquiry. Seeing as his following questions weren’t directed towards Jacque, he looked back to Derek for his responses.

Jacque takes in Derek’s familiar sounding hypothetical, and he looks to follow wherever his gaze was lingering. What was his angle with these questions? He knows the answer to this question and the first was common sense. Thinking of the possible reasons he could only assume one of two possibilities: He either wanted Jacque to publicly stand by his argument from their previous spat or someone here declined to aide him without prestation and he’s trying to passively threaten them. Considering the details aren't directly outlined in the Laws, it would be beneficial to indulge this public inquiry so that all of the Domain was clear on the expectation.

“It is a rather simple social contract within the Domain. Stability is enjoyed by its inhabitants, however, Her Majesty at times may call upon its Kindred to aide in preserving that stability. The payment is first and foremost the safety and stability enjoyed by each of us. To ask for more, such as Prestation or titles as a prerequisite to doing your part only serves to attract Her displeasure. Other rewards may come from continued and consistent service to the Domain as Her Majesty sees fit though.” His eyes wander briefly to the Hound and then to the Prince, curious if they had an ear on the conversation. Of course they do, but he was interested if they were obviously showing attentiveness. “The Sheriff is chosen by Her Majesty to direct such efforts to neutralize threats and maintain that stability and her deputies represent that authority by proxy. Hypothetically, to demand additional compensation of either is the same as demanding it from the Prince and would lead to feeling Her Majesty’s displeasure.”

Blood Hunt:

10. Likes Ruach liked this post

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

Derek's brow furrows and he looks serious at Dirt Nap's questions.

"I...I'm afraid I, uh, don't know of their current whereabouts, Sheriff Moretti's or Deputy Krieg's. I believe I last saw the, um, former at a meeting regarding a matter of Domain security. I have not heard from the Sheriff in some time, unfortunately..." He pauses, his head drifting at a downward angle. "It has caused me some concern. But I have heard no official announcements regarding their status, positions, or expected return."

He adds, "If either have left the city then they will be missed, certainly."

Derek turns back to Jack, attempting to solidify his diminished posture, as the Herald answers his layered question. "Very well put, Herald. I can only agree with such sensibilities. And, I imagine, that such power by proxy should not be wielded lightly. I will certainly keep that at the forefront of my mind when making such requests of Her Domain's inhabitants."

The Mekhet makes a show of looking out over the gathered Kindred as if to further illustrate his desired intent for having asked the question. Derek held a unique perspective of this particular matter and now knew exactly the response to expect of his superiors.

"You've answered my question and incidentally any follow-ups. Dirt Nap, you said you may have questions. Please, by all means."

12. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods, glancing around, eyes briefly locating The Prince, Mable, Thomas and Patience. "Pleased to make your acquaintence, Herald Jack, sir." he says respectfully. "Well, first off, I guess, would you know if I need to be Recognized again? I was only gone a month or two, but it seems like to be a whole different place that I haven't been to before."

He looks at both of them, searching, "Is Madam Harpy Rebecca Simmons still hereabouts? Or Priscus Elettra? Or Priscus Prosper? Or well, anyone but me of the Ordo Dracul?" he asks, shaking his head slightly and unconsciously. His tone is level and soft with only the small tic to betray his growing concern.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"The pleasure is mine Mister... Nap?" It was an unusual name but Jacque does what he can to maintain formality with the information given by the conversation. The inflection at the end meaning to imply a question of how he'd prefer to be addressed should he find 'Mister Nap' undesirable. "There were quite a bit of things going on but if memory serves me correct you were in attendance for Her Majesty's..." His head tilts ever so slightly as he recalls the shit show that night was, "...announced court in April." His hand begins flitting off to the side, talking along with his words, "With that, due to your attendance at this court you have retained your status within Her Majesty's Domain."

He looked back to Derek and nodded in response to his assumption, "Yes, as with all who are entrusted with such responsibilities, misrepresenting one's authority to serve oneself above Her Majesty could very well circle back to your first question."

"They are not present this evening. That is unfortunately the extent of what I know at this time of the subject." His eyes lingered briefly to the Prince, musing over the conversation that was being had there. Lenora's story made him reflect on his own current situation. Was it tradition to serve for years or decades before a formalized invitation? That detail was not clear when he struck his arrangement. The quick invitation to the Circle by Mable jerked a corner of his lips into a grin. Mortals would joke that the Church is willing to take anyone with a pulse. It seems the Circle has no need for even that prerequisite.

Blood Hunt:

15. Likes Ruach liked this post

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"I saw Priscus Elettra last over a month ago. She seemed to have to leave in a hurry for some matter or other. I have not heard from her nor seen her since. Deputy Prosper..." Derek pauses for an uncomfortable moment. "I believe has left the Domain to pursue other opportunities."

Had he also been Priscus? Perhaps Derek had missed that particular appointment among the Gangrel. To rise to such heights only to abandon it all.

"I'm afraid I cannot say what will become of the Ordo Dracul if its members are not present. I would suggest, Dirt Nap, that you make it your priority to consolidate the Ordo's holdings until such a time as they return or more members arrive."

Only Prosper, Moretti, and Madcap knew of Derek's interest in the Dragons. With them all vanished it hardly seems worthwhile to join their order. If he hadn't taken so much time to decide perhaps he could have made it through initiation and training by now. Derek looks disappointed.

Looking to Jack, he says, "Thank you, Herald, for your clarifications. I'm afraid I must attempt to speak with the Prince before the evening's end." A nod to Dirt Nap, "Thank you both for the company. And welcome back."

Unless stopped, Derek returns to the main thread

17. Likes Ruach liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread