(Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

It would be fun to learn the history between those two. Bickering like brother and sister, or a pent-up attraction? Her mind works over the possibilities as she sips her drink.

Nodding in agreement, “Diversity is always good. Helps keep things fresh and exciting.” In a way.

She had to chuckle, “It’s rare when I’m not.” It might sound like a joke, but it wasn’t. “As for hobbies?” the Enchantress looks thoughtful, “Nothing too exciting. I enjoy hiking, and quite evenings when I can turn my pager off. Oh! I do enjoy live music. Nothing like a great band and a good drink.” A shrug, “I spend a lot of time writing articles for medical journals, not sure if that counts though. But I’ve yet to really find something that captures my attention and I can spend hours doing. So I’m open to suggestions.” She needed to take more time to just not be a doctor.

“Oh wow. Immigrated after the second world war? I would have loved to have talked with him to hear his stories. Always fascinating.”
    From her face, she was very interested in what she was saying. “I had to take courses in college learning about patience. It can be a very difficult thing to practice some days. Did you find the calligraphy helped you with patience? Because I have to be honest, I think I would have enjoyed that as a class over classroom study.” The smile returned, “That’d be great!” connecting with other Awakened. Always a good thing.

“I have. They’re not something I deal in a whole lot in my line of work though. But I get and respect the ideas behind them.” The patients she saw needed life saving treatment, like bleeding stopped and nerves reattached.

“An archer club? Great name for one!”
    she could play along. She wasn’t surprised to hear that a family being sick pushed him to want to learn medicine. Or it pushed them completely the other way. “Well, I can help with teaching you. I spend a majority of my time at the hospital on call, so stop by sometime.” It was the easiest way to find her.

2. Likes Ruach liked this post
    S
    Shodan

"I'm sorry, I don't follow" There were times when the Libertine felt he almost understood Phoenyx, and there were others - like now - when her background seemed utterly alien, as if she came here from a different planet "How is using colorful inks worthy of punishment?" Wouldn't it show initiative? Creativity? Surely they're desirable qualities in a martial arts student? "Sure!" He brightens up at the Arrow's offer "I'll probably poke my eye out with a brush, but whatever - you only live once, right?" If that happens, he'd need to get an eyepatch. And call himself a pirate, the terror of seven digital seas. Arr!

"You're talking about the butterfly effect" Now, that is something he can understand. Atomic bonds, change of initial conditions - definitely his language "So that's what the lessons and the discussions were all about..." It made perfect sense - if the universe changes in accordance with your actions, and Phoenyx has been putting Arrow tenets and practices in the Consilium, that must mean her objective was to make the Consilium similar to (or undistinguishable from) an Arrow chapter. Extending comfort zone. Preaching, if you will.

"Whoa, let me stop you right there, Kashpirovski" Shodan holds his hands up. There are few things he feels very strongly about, but science and competent process are certainly among them "Holistic medicine is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo bullshit with no provable effects. Ever heard of regression fallacy? Sugar pills don't work unless they are magic" Unless by 'work' you mean 'make your money disappear'. But if you believe in treating cancer with vitamin C you have no one to blame but yourself. And honestly, he is surprised that the licensed medical practitioner across the tabvle didn't tell him as much first "Right?" He looks at October.

"And as we know, there's no such thing as magic" Wink wink nudge nudge.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoenyx cocks her head at Kaze "I didn't think holistic medicene worked? Isn't that all about tiny amounts of things dissolved in water? Crystals, and that kind of garbage?"

She gives October a small smile. "You might be able to, but you would have to go to him. He doesn't really travel any more." A nod. "Once I was allowed to write my own scripts I found it a lot more interesting. I think it did work, because I am much better at waiting than I was as a teenager."

She looks at Shodan, a little confused. "Because you are supposed to use black? He was very traditional. Were none of your mentors every strict? It was only after I finished my basic training I realised quite how much both he and my parents had kept away, and I was able to experiment a little more. It does mean I find some... social or more modern things strange." She admitted. "But if you all want to try, perhaps we could arrange it."

The Arrow looks thoughtful. "Yes and no. The butterfly effect is that a tornado in one country is caused by a butterfly flapping wings in another, yes? Holistic approaches are considering multiple affects on a given individual. Like... an autopsy. Health, diet, environmental factors are all considered because they all have an effect. So while the butterfly effect measures the scale of consequence from a single action, holistic approaches consider all the factors influencing a single point." The Arrow explains carefully; she could be very scientific. "Lessons? Oh... I just thought with so many potential risks in city life people might like to learn some defensive methods. A single action with far-reaching effects. And... and it was to help me work on my social skills." She withdraws a little, looking defensive.

As far as holistic medicene went, it was amusing to see Shodan react so much. As if he were some champion on scientific method. But at least they were on the same page this time.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

5. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 3 ( +1 vs Bashing: Kung Fu 1)
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3
    Spell Tolerance: 3/3 Spell Rolls
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]
    Key: Potency | Effect declaration if needed | Turns remaining ("M" = Monthly Ritual)

+2
    SL
    PRE

Wow, thank you. I will definitely take you up on that!” Kaze says enthusiastically to October’s offer to visit her hospital!

The young oriental mage smiles and nods at the objections of his peers to his stated interest in holistic medicine. “Yes, the general Western mindset is to discount anything that can’t be controlled and forced to produce predictable, reliable results as fake.” he agrees.

Holistic medicine isn’t actually in opposition to the Western approach; it’s complementary. Basically, Western medicine is about believing you understand the specific, mechanism causing a problem in the physical body and directly interfering with natural processes to ‘fix’ it with drugs or surgery. That’s good when you really do understand what you’re doing, and even when you don’t, you can get lucky. Like ‘fixing’ a deterioration of a joint by surgically replacing it with a mechanical replacement, or fighting cancer by surgically removing the flesh and organs that have cancer cells in them and pumping radiation and toxins into the area to try to kill any cancer cells you missed.”

Kaze pauses and says, “Holistic medicine is more of a philosophy of believing that the body’s ability to heal itself can be freed up and encouraged by changing the environment in and around the body in ways that don’t directly ‘fix’ anything. The thing is, it’s actually more scientifically proven in Western medicine than anything else, but it’s unpredictable and uncontrollable. What I mean is, every single time a new medicine or surgery, any treatment really, comes along, the Western medical scientific process requires a ‘blind study ‘, to validate it. And every blind study requires a control group that doesn’t get the treatment, but they think they are getting it.”

Kaze nods to Shodan, “Sugar pills.” he says.

And the reason they use that method is to allow for the placebo effect. You know what that is right? Everyone knows what it is but tends not to think about it. See in every one of these tests, some of the people in the control group show positive results even though they aren’t really getting treatment at all. Their body heals itself because they believe they are getting a treatment that will help them, and the test is necessary to show that the real treatment produces better results than the placebo effects in the control group!”

So it is totally scientifically proven a hundred times a year that the body can heal itself given encouragement whenever they screen out for it to test a Western style treatments effectiveness. But it is random. It’s no surprise that someone in the control group is going to show positive results even though there’s no specific way to predict who or make it happen.”

Kaze sighs, “I understand how it would seem unscientific because it isn’t predictable or controllable or reproducible and it seems to require faith to work, but it is definitely a very scientifically proven, real phenomenon, and I am interested in learning how to incorporate it with my learning Western medicine.
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

7. Likes Xadun liked this post
    Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

When October uses her magic, especially Fate, her Nimbus appears as a circle of black thorns that seem to wrap themselves around and into her body.

If the magic is vulgar, the colors of the thorns intensifies as the thorns disappear into her skin, and the she is able to feel the thorns embracing her.

+1
    SL
    PRE

As Shodan asked his questions, October sipped her drink. Her legs pulled up under her as she listened. “That is true, you do only live once.” A nod, “Might as well have as much fun as you can! Plus, you’d have a great ice breaker with only one eye.”

She shrugs, “Holistic isn’t going to cure cancer or fix a broken bone. But there are people who believe in it enough to forgo modern medicine. I’ve seen them, tried to treat them, and there’s not much you can do. Well, have them sign paperwork letting them know they can’t sue me when they die.” It was a thing, people gladly signed them and walked away to their deaths. “As to sugar pills, or placebos, it’s different. The people that claim they work, or claim they got sick on them, are experiencing the placebo effect. Theories vary on what causes it, but has to do with the relationship of mind and body. If the person is expecting the placebo to have a desired effect, then their own body’s chemistry can cause the effects similar to what they would get with an actual medication. If you give someone a pill and tell them what it is and what could happen, some experience it. Tell them it’s a stimulant, and suddenly they report an increase in heart rate. Which is why blind studies don’t tell the patients what they might experience. It helps prevent the placebo effect.” The human mind was a powerful thing. “I don’t prescribe holistic medicine to my patients; I provide what I know has scientific proof of being beneficial. But I also know there are enough that believe in it.” Let people pick what they want. “Thankfully, I don’t have to deal with it very often. The patients I see are on the verge of death, they don’t usually get a say in treatment.” Mostly because they were unconscious.

“From what I’ve seen, it doesn’t. But the human mind is a powerful thing.” Crystals aren’t going to cure cancer anytime soon.

“If I didn’t just move and start a new job, I’d certainly be up for some traveling.” But that was her retirement plan, travel the world.

There was an impressed look on her face as she listened, “Well stated.” She complimented.

“I can’t say it will be exciting, trauma is hit and miss. But weekends are the best bet if you want to see a trauma bay in full swing.”
    And full moons.

Nodding as Kaze spoke, “While that’s true, if it was reliable, I would be out of a job.” A shrug, it was only the truth.

9. Likes Ruach liked this post
    S
    Shodan

"They were demanding, but 'strict isn't the word I'd use" He replies to Phoenyx "In your example, I'd get my ass kicked if I didn't use the colored inks. In fact all the social circles I'm a part of make it a very strong point to constantly try new things, impress your peers and your teachers with something they haven't thought of before" The Free Council is one thing. But the Engineers? Oh boy, they are fanatics of novelty.

So, seems Kaze did some reading on the medical thing. The sheer amount of words indicates how real his interest in the art of healing is, and Shodan's analytical mind can't help but start mapping the Arrow's and the Apostate's personalities based on evidence collected so far. There are, however, still gaps that need filling.

"Of course holistic is meant to exclude normal medicine!" No, not traditional. Normal. To call it otherwise is to give undeserved credit to the quacks prescribing miracle diets "It's right there in the name: 'holistic' as in 'we cure your mind and body, unlike the reductionist heretics with actual medical licensing'. Deepak Chopra and his buddies don't say 'pop as many healing crystals as you want if it makes you feel better, so long as you get actual treatment', they say you don't need treatement, because aspirin and tic-tacs have got your back"

"Yes, exactly!" Exclaims the Libertine to October's explanation "Look, K, I'm no doctor. You're probably way ahead of me on that. And maybe thinking happy thoughts helps you get better - hence Dr. Clown and shit. But I know science, and I know the cheap cop-out of 'unpredictable treatment' - people will say you just weren't trying hard enough. It's not that the method doesn't work, it's always your fault for 'not sticking to instructions" Also works for lucid dreaming, diet, Sleeper 'fortune tellers' and fringe ideologies supporters.

"I'm not going to stop you from studying it. Or from using it. But when some guy with diarrhea sues your ass, I reserve the right to say 'Told you!'" He laughs, trying to lighten up the mood a bit. Never in a milion years would he suspect he'd end up talking scientific method on a flea market.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Kaze really had done his study. The Arrow was impressed, even though she was trying not to give Kaze too much thought. It was hard. October's insights were similarly complementary to Kaze's own.

Focusing in Shodan was easier."That means we were being taught different lessons by the same method," Phoenyx agrees with a small smile. "Having learned those lessons; patience, precision - I can balance them with creativity again."

"Holistic is simply a word for understanding connected parts through a whole, not specifically medical. It has simply been hijacked that way in common language," Pheonyx objects lightly. "The methodology and approach is sound in many instances. Holistic medicene believes in treating the body in multiple ways, including through the spirit and mind." The ghost of a smile is back. "Perhaps, maybe, there is a hint of truth in overcoming physical ailments through the mind. Some way science does not yet inderstand." After all, both she and Kaze could do it. The idea that spiritual purity could heal the physical form had existed for centuries. Was it so hard to consider this was an ancient interpretation of Life Arcana remaining in Sleeper minds? It sounded almost implausible... and yet possible. That was what made philosophy fun.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

12. Likes Ruach liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (An Extremely Fit and Healthy Glow)
    Presence
    (Disconcertingly easy to talk to and open up)
    Toxin Resistance
    (+2 vs drugs, alcohol and toxins)
    New Identity(Steven Chojun Trueheart)
    Kaze

Nimbus. The sound of rushing wind and flashes of lightning surround Kaze, and his clothes and hair move as if he is in a windstorm.
    Monthly Rits

Monthly Rits Spell Cloaks Spells do not show unless scrutinized
    Transform Aura pot 1 (Aura is as a Sleeper)
    Organic Resilience (Life Mage Armor 2e) pot 3 ( Armor 2; Defense 2 + Higher of Dex or Wits)
    Body Mastery pot 1 (x2 rate healing Bash, Letha, Agravated; +1 success on all extended and instant rolls to resist diseases, poisons or drugs; +100 years lifespan)

Scene specific spells: in mini-sheet 4
    Scene Specific

(Portrait) Portrait of an Angel
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 5
    Vulgar -1
    [1]Transform Aura[M]
    [2] Supernal Vision[D]
    [2] Organic Resilience[M]

(Bad House) The Return
    Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Defense 9 (Dex 6 from Honing the Form)
    Vulgar -1
    [4] Honing the Form
    [3] Organic Resilience Aurora's Life 5
    [2] Body Control [M]

+2
    SL
    PRE

I agree, it would only make sense for me as a supplementary study, for a non urgent situation like when someone is recovering from surgery, or in hospice.” Kaze says. “I want to be mindful of both the immediate medical need requiring dramatic intervention and the long view with small environmental factors possibly playing a big role. I think it appeals to me to get the chance to get to know the people I’m trying to help as people, you know?”

He smiles wistfully and nods to Phoenyx, “I don’t mean to hijack the conversation though. I guess the principal applies more than medical treatment.”
    Spells: Monthly Rits Transform Aura (aura appears to be a sleeper) Spell Cloaks (See mini-sheet)

Active Spells
    New ID
    (Amber Davenport)
    Striking Looks
    (Enchanting)
    Status
    (Medical)
    Presence
    (Collected)
    October
    Spells

Nimbis

+1
    SL
    PRE

An absent nod, “I get that. I feel I had to work extra hard in medical school to prove my abilities, that I belonged there. Was a pain in the ass, but oh so worth it when I made Dean’s List and they didn’t.” a shrug, fuck em.

She had to laugh as she listened to Shodan, “I have to say, you’re quite passionate about this. It’s impressive.” Not many talked with such passion about holistic medicine.

Snorting, “My medical degrees certainly say I’m way ahead of you on that front.” She jokes with a small wink. “The patients that buy into that line of thinking are common. And usually once I pull out the paperwork absolving me of any liability if they die, they come around.” Sometimes, there will always be those that will stick to their beliefs. And good for them. Laughing with him, “Well, it is why I have insurance.” Expensive insurance at that.

Looking thoughtfully to Phoenyx, “There is a lot that modern medicine and science do not understand. And perhaps never will. Have there been instances of holistic care working? Yes. It can’t really be explained, and if it can, good luck finding two scientists or doctors to agree on it. There are simply somethings we cannot understand.” And as mages, they knew that all too well. “I just try and lay out a treatment plan for my patient, and leave the decision in their hands. I might not always agree with it, but I have to respect it. And cover my ass.” That was important. Never forget that.

To Kaze, “I have seen some holistic care help cancer patients after chemo. Rather it be quality of life, or simply providing energy. I can’t explain it, but it brings a smile to their faces, and that’s what's important.”

Laughing, “It’s all good. I’m always game for fun and thought provoking conversations.”

Soo sorry! I'm still getting back used to having a mage. Please throw something heavy at me if I forget.

S
    Shodan

"Yet" Is his response to Phoenyx. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, or so Mr. Clarke always said. Conversely, any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced "And there is. Just not the way most people think" Much mystery. Very

"I think I get what you mean" The tone in the Libertine's voice is almost conspiratorial. At least Kaze meant well and wasn't a snake oil peddler "And no worries, I never pass up a chance to rant anyway. By the by, how's that paramedic thing going? Do you need, like, courses and licenses to do that?" Medicine was not his strong suit. Flesh is obsolete and so last era, anyway. At least cables and motherboards don't leave blood on your hands.

"I am?" The Libertine blinks at October, seemingly only now becoming fully aware of the bout he's thrown "Yeah, I guess I am. You gotta care about something, right?"

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 15

You do not have permission to view the list of names.