Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

Seth was... Surprised, at the letter. Pleasantly surprised.

He'd been out of the loop regarding the more official going-ons at Elysium- from what snippets he could gather, things had been quite entertaining. On top of that, there was his task given by his chummy revolutionaries to consider. He'd need allies for that, preferably. And having a friend was almost never a bad thing in his line of work.

So here he was, with what artistic supplies were normal for his pieces. Paintbrushes, paint, knives, sketchbooks, canvas... The Crones, what would they want this for? Or was this only Thomas' request? Was he wanting a gift for someone? The Crones dabbled in the more... lt was pagan natures, yes? something regarding that, perhaps.

Or perhaps what "artwork" could be made wasn't the standard fare at all. Oh, that wouldn't surprise Seth at all- faced with eternity, standard anything might be stale. He was quite giddy, at the web of possibilities.

A simple knock- wherever a knock would be made, more a courtesy than anything. His attire was simple, and a spare set lay in his bag.

Equipment: Artistic Supplies, a sharp carving knife stained red, throwing knives, thieve's tools, a change of clothes.
    Thomas Boyle
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

The first word that comes to mind when visiting the Crone Temple in Valencia is 'raw'. Upon arriving through the main entrance, one directly enters the ritual room, as is usual with churches. There are several wooden benches around, and an altar at the far end. The walls are decorated (or 'decorated') by what remains of the graffiti crafted by previous occupants. There are hundreds of etchings on the altar, and upon closer inspection they are revealed to be the names of gods revered across the world.

But perhaps the most distinct element of the decor is the inscription painted in red, above the altar:

"THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE/AND WITH STRANGE AEONS, EVEN DEATH MAY DIE"

In the back of the room, slightly ajar is a door. Once, it led to the sacristy, but recently it was remodeled as a private meeting room. Lining the walls are bookcases filled with volumes mundane and occult, zines, newspapers and various artifacts one could find at a flea market - clocks, coins, pottery and the like, all old or broken in some way. Around a central table there are couches and chairs to sit on. Thomas sits on one of the chairs, facing the door.

When Seth enters, the Ventrue smiles and rises, his hand offered for a shake.

"Seth. Glad you made it" A glance towards the supplies "I appreciate the readiness"

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

Interesting decor. It would have made for an excellent scene for a movie, perhaps. Seth could pick out maybe a handful of names on the Altar- the common ones- though even without that knowledge the purpose of such a space was clear enough. The writing above the Altar sounded familiar, but the thief couldn't place it.

Seth made his way into the meeting room, interested immediately in the potential wealth of knowledge. Perhaps the Crones might allow him to study here? But that wasn't the point of today, no.

He was. Or, whatever task he had. Both. The thief shook the hand, smiling.

"I was unsure what medium I would be working with, though I believe I've already told you my experience in paintings?" Seth gently slung the supplies, switching the hand that held them.

"I am rather curious. I hope you won't mind me wanting to rush right into the task at hand? I'm sure we'll make plenty of time for idle discussion throughout." Idle chit-chat and formalities weren't his forte. Whether it was thievery or art. Theatrics and eccentricities, sure. But he strove to be direct.
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

"Please, sit" Thomas said, as he himself resumed the sitting position. The Shadow was direct - most likely a sign of social inadequacy so common to his clan and bloodline. Hidden behind a veneer of professionalism. It's something easy enough to work with.

"You've noticed the graffiti in the main room?" The question mark was more a sign of politeness than anything else. The spray paint was hard to miss "It was put there by kine vagrants that took their residence here, after the Temple was abandoned by the Circle. I have chased them away, cleaned up and turned the place into the center of learning and worship you see tonight" A bit of pride never hurt nobody. And Thomas was proud of that achievement.

"I liked the graffiti at first, but as the Temple grows and receives more visitors... I have decided to put something more..." A pause, as the Ventrue thinks on a word "Planned. Especially since it's going to host Court in September" If the thief didn't catch a note of pride before, he'll certainly do so now "I lack the skill to paint it myself, and hoped you'd be willing to lend me a hand"

Of course there's the matter central to any Norvegus Thomas has ever heard of - price.

"The question remains - what would you ask in return for this service?"

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

The shadow slinked into a seat and listened on. The graffiti- yes, that did take a few marks from the "Crone-ic" conditions that might be stereotyped to a place of worship. Though hopefully this plan he had wouldn't merely involve buckets of white paint- Seth's talents were much more refined than that.

"I can see some wonderful imagery to replace the... Vulgarities... Of a few shortminded Kine. Yes, it would be enjoyable." The note of pride. He was Ventrue, yes? It didn't seem that uncommon... Though Seth might never blatantly say that, at least not without an audience to laugh- or sneer.

"I can lend you both hands, gladly- in return I'd ask for two things in the future. Your assistance, and your secrecy. To what, I'm not quite sure myself- a joke I'm planning. But it will be SUCH fun." There was a note of hope, that it might be this easy. Help with some paint, in exchange have some help taking down a big shot. Crones weren't big fans of Invictus, were they? Not the Carthians either, Seth imagined. But, the Carthians weren't in power right now. Weren't tossing their weight.

"But if you're not in the mood to play those kinds of games, Simple money would work fine. The paint supplies will be... Well, I don't know the scope of that. Paint supplies, plus ten percent. That seems simple enough. Twenty percent, if you're expecting me to use Vitae." It was a fair enough deal- if not an incredibly generous one- in the thief's mind.
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

"Hm" A joke he is planning? Certainly criminal in nature. Assassination, major thievery, kidnapping... all the things the polite Kindred society scoffed at, even as they ordered the Knives to do them "I think I'll go with helping you in return" He couldn't pay Seth if he wanted to. Money was never a strong side of Thomas, not that he'd admit it "It sounds interesting, at the very least. However..."

Because there always needs to be a 'however' in a negotiation.

"You are in the enviable position when simply performing a service is its own reward. Think about it: come September, when all the Kindred will come here to mingle, they'll see your works and marvel at them. The Prince is very fond of art, especially paintings. Vivian and Twist, her close allies, are Succubi, which means they need to at least pretend they appreciate art. We Kindred crave status and praise, and you'll get plenty of both just because you deigned to lift a paintbrush" It's almost charity, when you think about it. Helping Seth get the recognition he (probably) deserves. Who is doing whom a favor here?

"That is not to say I don't want to help you. I do. But just like I wouldn't expect you to promise me anything without knowing all the pertinent details, it's only fair I know what I'm getting into" Breaking the law brings the attention of mortal authorities, often the displeasure of other vampires and almost certainly threatens to give the Beast another foothold. Not something you want to deal with without a good reason.

The Lord stares at the thief intensely and opens his senses to the Shadow's emotions, as well as the subtle shifts in tone and posture that'd indicate the presence of a lie.

4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-07-24 17:25:33 Thomas Boyle rolls 10 to Aura Perception (Int + Emp + Auspex + WP - 2 for color patterns) (10 Again, WillPower) 3, 4, 7, 6, 3, 2, 9, 9, 1, 10, 9 4 successes

5 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-07-24 17:27:45 Thomas Boyle rolls 10 to Detect lies, if any (Int + Emp + Specialty + Auspex) (10 Again) 10, 8, 1, 6, 5, 8, 6, 5, 10, 8, 3, 2 5 successes

Aura Perception is resisted by Res + Comp + BP. As far as I can tell, if Seth wants to lie it's a normal Subterfuge roll

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

However. Yes, always a however- it's not like the thief expected otherwise.

Ah. The appreciation and admiration of one's work by authorities and peers. That was... Not the route Seth had expected him to take.

"Mr. Boyle." It was Mr. Boyle, for now. Especially after trying to play on his pride. The tone said as much. "I have made no attempt to hide what I am. But that openness does not bleed into my work itself. If I am called to do something, it is normally because those hiring me do so out of a desire for subtlety." He would never deny that he was a thief, and a knife- or the nature and dedication he took towards it.

"Though I would enjoy seeing lips purse at the curtains folding back and revealing me as the creator- yes, the Fangless Fool." He might actually kill for a snapshot of that moment. Were it at all possible. "Ah- and that brings up the second point. Norvegi- I doubt a painting, even a materpiece- would bridge that gap. Especially given my current behaviors, or lack thereof. I haven't exactly played the part of a kindred hoping to win the graces of his Prince."

Yes, this game was fun to play at times- but Mr. Boyle playing on pride, status... Well, despite some of the truths to his words, it felt like a pitch a Kindred might give to the recently undeceased. It felt very Ventrue. And the prospect of not being compensated for his work (status alone wasn't really the best compensation for someone that might actively betray it for the right price) was rather irritating. Still, he had a point.

"Of course. I'll gladly say what I wish. I announced my attempt to join the Carthians? They wished a task done, as an initiation. I do not find that task difficult- indeed, I might even be able to perform it myself. But I thought having someone else would be fun." That was all this was. Fun. "... And if I told you anything else without assurance on your part, the line between stage-hand and unwilling participant might become somewhat blurred. It will be a smidge dangerous, certainly. And some individuals might frown upon the act, should my role be discovered. It IS the Carthians, after all. I can also tell you that my performance will not be directed towards the Crones- if that brings you comfort."

Even if Seth could resist the Aura reading, he made no attempt to do so- and indeed, the flurry of pale colorations sprang forth. The most dominant was a Vermillion hue, though little blotches of brown (likely from his unflattering attempts at persuasion) specked the vision. Following that were tendrils of intertwining velvet and light blue, wrapping around the body like ribbons. But nothing to show distrust. Nothing the thief said was a lie, as the fangless had nothing he needed to lie about. Yet.

"I can tell you more should you accept, and I hope the information I have given is enough for you to decide. If not, we can discuss other means of payment. And I Will be paid for this work. Be it in your gold or your service in a different matter in the future." On that, the thief would not budge. Hopefully Mr. Boyle would prefer assistance with a certain task, over debt.
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

Thomas allows Seth to finish before he himself speaks. The brown in the Knife's aura has an almost bitter taste, and the sudden switch to formality coming from someone who eschews it at all times is a sign that the Ventrue's words were taken as insulting, in some way. The Acolyte will have to live with that, but proceed with caution. He was talking to an assasin for hire.

"If I'm going to be honest, I don't think your lack of fangs is a concern for anyone - or if it was noticed at all! The local population is too small to discriminate, and if I'm being bold - too uneducated to know what to look for. Pandering is not your style and I respect that, I am just pointing out that skilled killers are a dime a dozen when the Prince also owns a mafia. You'd be helping me and, incidentally, helping yourself become an important part of the puzzle" An influential Norvegus from an under-represented Covenant. Imagine that.

"I really don't know what help you'd expect of me, I'm just a humble occultist after all" Certainly less than ideal for frontline operations "Let's do it this way: you have my word that anything we talk about here will remain in this room. I will not tell it to anyone, not even the other Crones. But I'm not agreeing to anything unless I know what you will be up to and my part in it" After all but admitting his deed will piss off either the Invictus or the Dragons (the only two groups, aside from the Circle, that matter in Sacramento) and possibly breaking the Laws, Thomas is being wary. He likes Seth, but liking someone and taking a bullet for them is two different things.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

The subtle switch from open to cautious wasn't undeserved. And he had a point about the lack of intel and, indeed, numbers in this court- though, from what his recent friends in the Carthians had said, that didn't count for the entire kindred populace."You've a fair point, Mr. Boyle. I... understand where you are coming from. Though I'm unsure what this 'puzzle' will be when complete. And whether or not I want to play a part in it sometimes. Yes, my services as a killer are rather droll against an army of hitmen." A sigh. Was he really going to do this for free? No. Buut...

The promise made it official. And the Shadow was more than confident he could repay the Ventrue in kind, should it be broken."Alright then. Just remember that line I talked about- I'd rather you remained on the friendly side of it anyways. Thomas." Back to that, for now. "A vampire of the Invictus will be coming here. The Carthians want me to dispose of him, and save a ghoul he has... Abused his authority over. The member is not popular to this area- not well known to our court, from what I've seen. Killing him will send ripples, but we wouldn't be obvious suspects- especially if done right. And that's why I need you, Thomas-" A warm smile... A rather unnerving one, perhaps. I don't know much about Kindred weaknesses I can exploit. I have ideas, and I want your help to see if they are feasible. I also think it'd be fun with someone else for once." His cousin would be spineless to such intrigue, Adam was nowhere in sight, he doubted the sheriff would want to partake (oh but that would be SUCH fun as well. Was it worth tempting?)...

"I also think that some individuals might like to shake some branches around here. Invictus' plants have taken root in the Court's day to day, in our politics. It is... Troubling. I don't think I'm wrong in saying some might agree." The flowery language tossed in wasn't made in an effort to convince Thomas- it was a genuine belief the thief held."Either way- should you join, your role will be quite secondary. You will not be confronting him or his, if you would rather not. Regardless, now you know. One of the few individuals that do." And thus, the thief would KNOW if something went... Amiss. Seth smiled and dug through his bag, humming. "So. What did you want me to paint."
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

Assasination. Of course.

"I assume Graham, my cousin, was also charged with killing that Invictus?" Maybe it went without saying, but with the Movement's notorius factionalism one can never tell when and how the brands of revolution fight each other "I will be happy to... consult on your problem. Still, without details on your target my advice might be quite general, I'm afraid. However, if your contact noticed any... quirks in the target's behavior, it can suggest bloodline membership. Their weaknesses can be quite debilitating"

Although few families of blood had identifying signs as obvious as the Malocusian nested up in Folsom prison, Thomas is nothing if not prepared to dig up obscure trivia from the depths of his mind. The Ventrue didn't inquire about the political hows and whys of the situation. Frankly, he didn't care. There's no love lost between the Crones and the First Estate, and besides - petty power struggles. Boring!

"To compensate for the potential of unhelpful advice, I'd be willing to engage in a bit of helpful sorcery. A bit of ritualistic clairvoyance that might show important details about your... situation" No guarantees on how clear the vision will be, though. But such is the nature of magic.

And then they are back to discuss the comission at hand. Thomas rises from his seat and goes to one of the shelves to retrieve a folder. In it, rest several printouts of rather surrealist paintings, untitled and unsigned.

"A colleague of mine mailed it to me a while ago. You can use all of them, some of them or use them as inspiration instead of copying, but I wanted something like that - haunting and otherworldly"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread