Ended
Watch

Autumn Leaves and Autumn Returns

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    P
    Penance

"Another Contract? That could be useful. It does not seem much good in a fight, but I think some, how you say, di-verse-ity would be good for me."

She bowed her head and kneeled before Rhodes in a solemn show of respect. "I will try to do better about letting you know my status."

She was more than a little surprised when the Fairest said he had something to show her. She hadn't been aware there had been purposes to them meeting besides a formal confirmation she was back in Sacramento. Was that the reason he'd chosen Edna's as the location to meet at or was that just a lucky coincidence. She followed her sovereign up the staircase, disturbing the leaves left in his wake.

"Of course. I remember our last Coronation was like a Fall fair. I take it you have something else in plan for the coming one?"

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

"With the right use of Fear you win the fight before it begins. But that same Contract can make you, and your allies, immune to Fear," He shrugs. "Ours are rarely one-dimension skills."

A grin spreads across his face. "Yes. This has been my project for some time." Summoning the power of the Wyrd, it flows into the portal and opens the closet door.

Behind it is not the expected hole, but an opening into what looks like a Victorian library. Varnished wooden floor and bookshelves, half-filled with odd books, are off to the left. To the right a raised area holds a table and chairs, much like that of Edna's. A cold empty fireplace stands in that wall, a lead-framed mirror hangs over it. Shadows seem to look deeper than they should be from the light.

Overshadowing everything are the heavy boughs of an Autumn sycamore forming the rafters; you can reach up and touch them. The leaves red, yellow and gold dangling but never falling.

The walls to left and right crumble away with no back wall in sight. It opens into a bare space, a darkened, shadowy overgrown glade only a few yards deep before naked skeletal trees for an impregnable wall.

The Dread Lord waves an arm around the rooms. "Welcome to the Autumn Library, Penance. I want to present it to the Freehold this coronation. It doesn't have the... charm of the Spring Tavern, but it shouldn't. It will be our archive. Our sanctuary - and a place we can conduct Oneiromancy safely. Ah, yes... I'll... move the door from my bedroom closet before then." He smiles. "So? What do you think? I'd like your help finishing it, if you have the time.I need to put some Wards up before the big day, but I'll be finishing that this weekend."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

P
    Penance

Given the reputation of Edna's, Penance was halfway expecting there to be a secret room hidden in the closet. It seemed like reasonable option. But no, while it certainly lead to a tucked away room, far more separated it from everything else in the house than simple wood and installation. Penance slowly walked into the Hollow, dragging a claw gently along the spines of the books, some of which she knew were in no human tongue just from the titles, before reaching up and plucking a leaf from one of the boughs hanging above them.

"It is very fitting." ...For Rhodes. She wasn't about to say it out loud, but she doubted there would've been much of a difference in their surroundings if this had been his personal Hollow instead. A wide variety of books. An admitted focus on Oneiromancy. Autumn leaves much like the ones he trailed forming the ceiling. It was certainly Autumn, but it was specifically Rhodes' brand of Autumn. Not that it wasn't too be expected. He had been working alone on this for who knows how long, so of course his personal interests would've slipped in. Besides, it was likely in his Fairest nature to make it all about him whenever he could get away with it.

"I will help out as much as possible. I just hope you do not mind another skeleton in your closet." She moves to the wall of skeletal trees serving as the far wall of the Hollow. "If you need help with Wards, what if we made some of these leaves alive and have them protect the outside of the hollow?"

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes smiles pleased. "Yes, I thought so. It's a little bare for amenities, but it should suffice."

He looks along the books. "The start of my archive, though I am willing to let others in to peruse. So far I only have books on folklore, but there are some Hedge books in there to supplement the mundane features, as I'm sure you noticed." There was several shelves yet to be filled.

Looking around, he walks to the edge of the wooden floors were they meet the overgrown oppressive glade. "I don't mind at all. If I had wanted this to be my hideaway, I would have kept it to myself. Bit it is important for us to remember we are not alone, and to offer wisdom and a safe space." He listens, intrigued. "Oh, yes...." he almost purrs, his Mantle rippling a breeze around him. "I like that idea. Alone one tends to be so.... focused, you see. More minds means more ideas. I'll move the door tonight, so it's easier for you to get to. The first-floor closet should suffice, I think."

Shall we look at wrapping up? It's been over a month, and I'd covered everything I needed.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

P
    Penance

Well even if it felt very Rhodes in appearance, she certainly could get behind the idea of it. At the very least, it served as a nice bunker to plan and meet in away from mundane world. And sorely needed, especially if they planned to meet in the daylight more often. Edna's was serviceable, but their community wasn't the only thing living a dual life, the seat of the Autumn Court also had to double as the haunted house of Funderland. Using the place could be awkward if they wished to continue the facade.

"You focus on the wisdom half. I will see if I cannot help the safe place half." She pulled a book of the shelf and perused its contents before snapping it shut and sliding it back in place. She had not even been aware you could do that with a Goblin Fruit. She wasn't sure if she ever wanted to know that either.

"That sounds like a plan. However, I am just finding out about this. I will need time to think about how I can help. If you have nothing else you wish to show me, would I be able to go now?"

I think this makes for a satisfying conclusion.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes smiles. "Yes... As I say, I will be adding some Wards to the area, but an extension of space and some simple amenities might be helpful." The leaves on the tree ripple slightly in an unseen breeze.

"Of course, I realise it's a lot to take in; but I think that's al for now. It is good to have you back, Penance." The Dread Lord nods, satisfied. "Please, I will show you out."

Quietly the door closes on the new Hollow, and the pair of Leaden Mirrors walk back out into the real world.

Closing up. Thanks for the scene!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread