Ended
Watch

Dorothy Parker in The Rain

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    G
    Graham Finley

Indicated by the marquis sticking off of the dise of the singe story building, illuminated by hanging lights that glowed brightly in the rain sat that Cafe Americaine. The place was small, but not tiny. The walls in the front room were lined with records, the source of the ambient music. The shelves, separated by portraits of California jazz icons, were old but lovingly maintained. Beyond this room very narrow space consisting of a bar and a stairwell going down to the theater.
    Rows of bistro tables covered in varying colors of cloth formed arcs expanding from the stage, and another much larger bar lined the back of the room. It had antique mixers and beakers interspersed with the very modern, two well dressed women and one man tending. Graham was sitting at the end of a salon styled couch among the records with a snifter of brandy in one hand, a book in the other. His countenance far more posh than the clothes he was wearing - a black v neck, black jeans, and scuffed white dress shoes.
    He made sire to sit in the light so that Jack would have no trouble finding him.

Killian

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque wanders into the building and takes in the atmosphere. There was plenty of exploring he wished to do in Sacramento before free time started to be a luxury. Spying the young looking Carthian with his glass and book he grinned. Now that looks familiar.

Taking a moment to straighten out his vest, he approached Graham and waited for his eyes to lift from the book before greeting him, "Good evening, Graham." He waited for an appropriate moment to seat himself and glanced to the staff trying to read the decorum for ordering a drink.

Blood Hunt:

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Sorry, vest. Just missed the edit cutoff

Blood Hunt:

G
    Graham Finley

As far as Jack could probably tell, the sparse but professional floor staff checked on patrons intermittently. Graham raised his glass to help get their attention as he stood, setting his book - Dorothy Parker: Complete Stories - aside. Putting out his free hand to his blood-cousin, he also found a place to put his drink to avoid spilling it. It was still quite full, as he'd only taken whiffs of the brandy thus far. Graham was still waiting to decide whether or not it was worth investing the blood to keep it down. His extended hand shook visibly for a moment because of the typical vampiric response, but the fact that he was expecting his fellow Lord combined with Jacque's mask made it easy to ignore. What was not as easily overlooked was Graham's pallor but the possibility existed that the low lighting of the venue shielded him from undue scrutiny. He spoke in the voice of someone greeting a friend from work, which was almost true.

"Hey, man! Thanks for coming out. Please, let me get your first one."

Graham wasn't nearly as well off as Jacque probably was but he felt like it was the gentlemanly thing to do before a business meeting, as relaxed as this one may be. In a lower voice before anyone came by to take an order, Graham also asked:

"What should I call you when we're out and about? Sorry about my cock-up on the phone earlier. I've made that mistake before, you'd think I'd learn; But hey, I'm dead. It's a miracle I've been able to learn anything at all."

Last edited by Graham Finley; Jun 28th, 2019 at 12:25 AM.  Reason for Edit: Spelling

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque flashed a grin towards Graham, the monster inside stirring, waiting for the first hint of a challenge from the lessor predator. He looked around again at the staff as his cousin attempted to get their attention.

He shook the offered hand, "Hey, I appreciate that. How about I get the next round then?" Glancing at the title of his book he politely asked, "Are you an admirer or expanding your horizons?"
      5 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-28 09:59:31 Jacque rolls 6 to recognize the subject of the book INT+WIT (EK) (10 Again) 7, 5, 9, 10, 8, 10, 1, 9 5 successes

Waving a hand dismissively, matching the volume Graham set, "Think nothing of it. Alex is fine."

Blood Hunt:

G
    Graham Finley

"Fair enough."

Glancing at the book, he returned to his seat after dragging a nearby chair from an empty table over for Jacque, sort of creating their own space within a space as a deterrent for any wandering patrons. Barring the availability of a privacy screen this was as sequestered as Graham could make them. Just as well, considering most people were either at the bar or downstairs watching the live music. He resumed their conversation after Jacque had finished flagging someone down and ordering, taking note of what the lawyer liked to drink.

"Actually I've been an admirer of Ms. Parker for quite some time. My...'dad,' caught A Star Is Born back when it was a new, state of the art technicolor, far from starring Cooper and Gaga. He put me onto her for her less melodramatic entries, though."

The younger monster allowed him self a few seconds of wistfulness as he recalled his sire before returning his attention on Jacque's startlingly sharp eyes. It was a shame they were blood, and so destined to be rivals even when they had the same goals, or he might have tried to seduce the unbound. It would be interesting to see if he was so impenetrable then. Ah, well. There's always a Daeva, right?

"...She had a sharp mind for satire, and a sharper one for depicting the social climbers of her day. I was actually brushing up as a mental exercise, prepping before seeing you tonight. A quote of hers brought you to mind:
    'Costs me never to stab nor squirm, to tread by chance upon a worm. Aha my little dear, I say - Your clan will pay me back one day.'
    I'm hoping to determine whether or not you're going to turn out to be the worm, or the one exacting retribution for the growing list of insults rendered."

He leaned back comfortably, resting his elbows on the back of the couch as he swirled his brandy. He was not making any efforts to hide his body language. In fact, to a trained mind like the other Ven's, it might have seemed like he was deliberately leaving himself open to attacks of all kinds - a...very risky way of probing for enemies. But that was just the kind of man he was, willing to take a hit rather than dodge it in order to assess his opponent's strength.

Twist Scenes

Wrong account

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque smiled, placing his order once the staff made their rounds to him, "Bourbon, neat. Whichever the house recommends."

He seats himself in the chair Graham offered, listening to the response to his query. His posture was most exciting. This was the boldness that would have made Arturo's knee-jerk reactions actually sting instead of just appearing as mindless flailing of words. Magnificent.

Thoughtfully leaning his hand against his chin, "Hmm, right to the point then? So far from what I've seen at our little soirées one of Ms. Parker's later quotes comes to mind: They were just a lot of people telling jokes and telling each other how good they were. Just a bunch of loudmouths showing off, saving their gags for days, waiting for a chance to spring them... There was no truth in anything they said. It was the terrible day of the wisecrack, so there didn't have to be any truth..."

His eyes rested on Graham, "I'm quite pleased that as family you are reaching out instead of just mindlessly joining the dog pile. Blood is quite important to me. I'm sure based on the last party you were at you're likely full of questions on why such behavior is being tolerated. Would you like some context on what has happened since the last family gathering?" Jacque wasn't going to bore him with details unless he wanted them.

Blood Hunt:

G
    Graham Finley

He was glad Jack didn't flinch - They might theoretically live forever, but Graham liked wasting other's nights only marginally more than he liked wasting his own. That is to say, he didn't. Besides, when pleasantries can be avoided and kindred can just be themselves
    (barring frenzy of course) more seemed to get accomplished in general. He sniffed his drink, savouring it as he listened to his companion's recitation with half lidded eyes, pleasantly surprised at Jack's familiarity.

"A card carrying gentleman-scholar, then? I respect that. I'm a little embarrassed to admit I don't have much in the way of formal education, mostly just what I've picked up over the years or...learned by doing. Anyway. Yes, I would love to hear everything you're willing to share. I'm not expecting the benefit of your perspective to come free, though. I'm confident you'll be interested in hearing what I can offer you in exchange. Start wherever you'd consider the beginning."

The way he spoke was very much like a lawyer might speak to a client after an exchange of money, something that possibly appealed to Jack's own sensibilities as an esquire. Following a last sniff of his drink he rested the brandy on the table nearby for the foreseeable future, clasping his hands and leaning forward slightly, all ears and eyes.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque smirked jokingly, "A formal education only goes so far. I've mostly done what you were doing before I arrived, but likely over a much longer timeline." His lips formed a grin, pleased at the prospect of an exchange, nodding his head as a silent signal that he'll play ball.

He considers carefully for a moment before beginning, "It is important to first understand the family goals to understand the perspective of what occurred in the nights that followed."

Shifting his posture only slightly to flit his fingers as he talks, "They weren't difficult or unexpected goals. Impress the boss with job performance, get promotions and call upon family first when we're on projects that need a skill set to help boost visibility for the first two goals. We then shared a high level of our skills with each other so we'd know who we could call on for what. The higher up in the company more of the family gets, the stronger the influence our family will hold. Pretty straightforward." His gaze holds to Graham during the pause to ensure that everything was clear thus far.

"The meeting concludes with Mom picking her favorite kid. Thomas was blindsided by a political problem he couldn't answer for and Arturo, well... he came into that gathering declaring he was the favorite so I'm sure you can imagine the response to being shown wrong. His public opinion of me was softer than the other's but otherwise a non-offensive gesture." Just predictably annoying.

The outline was interrupted briefly by the staff bringing him his order, "Thank you," he offered while taking in the aroma of the bourbon, curious of the mystery that was selected for him. For now, he placed the glass off to the side to finish up this leg of the conversation, "That brings us to the first soirée. It started off with normal sibling bickering." He chuckles, "The two cousins pulled me aside and asked if I called, confirmed and ensured everyone's attendance for the night." He shrugged, "It was low hanging fruit for them to try and needle. I'm not a secretary. There are rules around attendance and consequences for not. Those are handled after the fact so adjustments can be made and future consequences can be avoided. Very simple. We knew the Boss was looking for a new Housekeeper, so I asked if either of them were interested pursuant to the family goals we were given. They were not. I had laid the foundation so that I could support either of them, or pursue the promotion myself if they did not. So, I expressed that I would do it."

Jacque pauses for any questions, setting a notepad off to the side table in case Graham needed a key for the cryptic speak. "And shortly after, that's when things started to escalate."

Blood Hunt:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread