(1906) A Bruja and... Company?

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

Madcap took his seat and waited, eyes glancing now and then to the growing throng of Beasts.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Color me curious, Mister Madcap." He spoke as he slid into the seat adjacent of him. "I would wager that there isn't a single soul in this room that wouldn't say I would be the idiot in that circumstance, yet you thought accepting my offer would make you the fool?" He quirks an eyebrow, "Why is that?"

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

The son of Bruja's gaze finds the lawyer as he approaches, watching him take his seat.

"That's because many of the souls in this room lack understanding in how I operate,"
    he said, "Any Dragon, except maybe Vitale, will tell you I wouldn't maim you. Despite what the Prince says, I am not a brute, but most see her opinions as truth."

A simple defense.

"The tendency of your family to fuck with people's heads is well known," Madcap continued, "I've forged my will to resist the Beast. It is strong, but I doubt you'd try that endeavor alone. That aside, I don't trust you to abide by the terms of a meeting. You believe you'd be taking a risk. It's only natural that you bring allies with you... or that the Prince sends others to see to her Herald's safety. It's simple, Jack, you have allies in the Domain. I'd expect you to use them if you felt you were in danger."

A glance to the room at large.

"Here the room is controlled," he said, "And the Laws protect me from your gift just as it protects you from mine."

Madcap disliked Alessandra, but he was confident that he hadn't been branded a traitor or enemy of the Domain. No Kindred were engaged in a Blood Hunt and the Bruja was allowed to enter freely. THus, he was afforded the same protections in Elysium as everyone else.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque quirked a brow in a subtle sign of surprise as he mentioned what the Prince would say. He had not actually heard such an evaluation before and certainly not from Alessandra but he quietly listened as Madcap said his peace. "You seem rather adamant that I know that you are not a brute, despite whatever rumor or opinion may or may not be floating in the air, yet in nearly the same breath you've reduced me to what gifts my blood gives me." He opens his palms, "I am more than what is unique to my family, just as I recognize you are more than what is unique to yours."

He continued as he gestures to the court proper, "I invited you out within earshot of many who would know what happened to me should I suddenly disappear. That satisfied any concerns of danger for me." Flitting a wrist to the side, "The way I see it, if I've inspired enough aggression in someone to contemplate murdering me and forfeiting their own life by doing so in the face of such indisputable evidence, perhaps I don't deserve to continue my requiem. Everything has a price after all, and one way or another we all pay what is due."

He pondered the explanation Madcap gave, "Nevertheless, that is a substantial amount of precaution you are taking for the perceived offense you communicated with me. It seems rather excessive to be concerned about such cloak and dagger tactics... unless there is something more that has developed in the passing time?" He paused, to allow the conversation to flow back to Madcap and lay out any other issues he may have.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

"Don't be an idiot, Jack," Madcap responded, blunt and sure, "Noting the talents of your Clan doesn't mean I'm grouping you with them. I'm merely basing my assumptions of what I know of your Clan. It isn't an attack on your identity, it's simple tactics. The reality is its safe for me to assume you have skills in your Clan's trademark, just as its safe for you to assume I can bear the claws unique to my own Clan's Discipline. A little advice? Don't try to say you haven't. That paints you as either naive or arrogant. A man in your position can't afford either... or perhaps you can given the favoritism."

Tips in tricks with old Uncle Cap. Madcap may have said he didn't like politics. That doesn't mean he doesn't understand them.

At the Jack's confidence that the Domain would react to his disappearance, Madcap only smirked

How many would care?

"It's a bad habit to flatter yourself, Herald," Madcap said, "If I considered you a threat worth killing, you'd know. You've offended me greatly and overstepped your bounds, but I ain't so close to the Beast to think that warrants your Final Death."

"If you think being concerned about backstabbers and power plays is silly, I reckon you haven't been around long. Or you're delusional," Madcap said, letting out a laugh at the concept of a Kindred who wasn't prepared for vigilance, "Given that you're of a mind that your comments to Arturo didn't warrant his reaction, my money's on the former. However, your decision to voice Prestation in my name makes me at least think about the latter."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Flattering? I would never imagine the subject of anticipating my potential death as self-flattery." The most annoying part of this city was the incessant mincing of words and spitting things back to you like you just delivered the most unbearable attitude, despite whatever it was you actually said or how you said it. The Savage witnessed the extent of Jacque's frustration two months ago, yet here he is, ready to be snide at every bullet.

"Why do you respond like I'm talking down to you? I never said that it was silly. I said it seemed excessive for the particular issue I was aware of." His hand turns over, "This made me consider there could be some other slight that I'm unaware of that has exacerbated whatever disagreement exists between us."

Answering only at this time regarding the evaluation of the Lord's business, "On the contrary, I am of the mind my conduct absolutely warranted a reaction from Mister Garcia, just not the one he chose. Not yet at least. We ultimately settled our dispute in private conversation though." The Lord considered adding a summary 'As I suggested in the first place' but perished the thought, considering the amount of twisting of words already occurring. At least that could reasonably fall somewhere in the realm of self-flattery.

A roll in an attempt to convey deescalation. I blame Ellis Meadows for stealing the rest of my sux. <3
      1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-05 17:43:06 Jacque rolls 8 to deescalate (Man+Per+SL) (10 Again) 7, 7, 1, 3, 9, 4, 1, 2 1 success

Blood Hunt:

7. Likes Domino liked this post

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

Madcap let Jacque talk, but appeared unswayed by his comments. The Little Lord seemed content to believe Sacramento's Kindred were meant to play nice, but the Bruja reasoned there wasn't a point of pressing the issue further. If Jack felt vigilance was excessive it would come to bite him in the ass later.

And that suited Madcap just fine.

"And that's where we disagree, Herald," Madcap said finally, his words cold, "I believe Arturo's response was exactly what the dispute called for. You insulted him several times and dealt with your Clan's issues in a flippant manner. It was sloppy, disrespectful, and, frankly, you got off with a slap on the wrist."

Then Madcap leaned forward.

"Let's assume the Prince's favor was reversed," he said, "Do you really think that if Garcia was favored by Her Majesty that you'd even be here? Or do you think she would have called for the duel to happen in a week's notice so she had the opportunity to attend and prompted you to find an appropriate champion if you felt you couldn't fight yourself?"

"I'll admit though, I'm surprised you defended your treatment of Arturo and not your attempt to draw Prestation in my name for your Priscus,"
    Madcap offers, "Does that mean you are admitting that you were wrong?"

At Jack's attempt to de-escalate, Madcap only smiled, though it was a cold thing. This told Madcap he had the upper hand and he was not above using it. It was clear the Bruja would continue to press the debate.

Savages. Don't. Wilt.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-05 20:17:46 Madcap rolls 5 to Stay the Course (resist deescalation) (Res+Comp) (10 Again) 9, 6, 7, 2, 3 1 success

The above dialogue was made with the assumption that Madcap is the defender of the above rolls. If this is incorrect, I will happily rewrite! Steven

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord's posture remained the same. Passive with hands resting to either side with gentle twists and flicks of his wrist, suppressed but almost reflexive. "You keep assuming how I feel about things, Mister Madcap. Based on words that have not been thought or spoken."

"At what point in this conversation did I ever defend my treatment of my cousin?" His steely blue eyes admiring the persistently argumentative Savage, "How can you say that the price wasn't enough when you don't even know what I paid?" Shrugging his shoulders in contemplation of an alternative, "Or are you implying that any price below the end of my requiem was not enough?"

Jacque paused to allow a response to the questions before he addressed the rest of Madcap's. There was no sense in saying anything of value unless the Savage could show that he was actually listening to the conversation instead of simply waiting his turn to speak his story.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

The smile remained.

"Assumptions are part of the game, Herald," he replied, "Whether by circumstance or design, the trouble left between the two of us remained in place for two months. Sure, that's a blink when we look back at some point down the road, but we ain't in the future are we? We're in the present. And I find myself dissatisfied with the lack of resolution. Therefore, without your attention on the matter, what am I left to do? I can't letter the matter rest, my honor won't allow it. And so the mind is left to ponder where your values lie."

Madcap wasn't above admitting he was being irrational, but it was clear he felt he had a damn good reason to be. He had been wronged and then, seemingly, forgotten by the Herald.

Slights left to fester will boil.

The a pause. The fire remained in the Gangrel's posture and he remained in his forward position.

"That's a fair argument," he offered, "Consider my displeasure with your part in Garcia's banishment resolved. I still feel his banishment is unjust, but I suppose you are not wholly to blame."

He let the statement sit.

"That said, one matter remains unresolved," he continues, "Your actions against me and others in April. I will not speak for them, as it is up to them to settle their score with you, but I've made my feelings on the matter quite clear... It's notable that you've continued avoid my question related to the issue."

Speaks volumes, but I doubt they're the words he wants.

"I'll make this simple,"
    Madcap said, his voice steady and even, "I remain dissatisfied by your attempts to force Prestation upon me and the subsequent lack of resolution, Herald. My case is plain and clear. So what do you think I want?"

11. Likes Killian liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nodding once in agreement, "Of course, you are correct." The Savage's chief issue seemed to be a matter of perception, to which he was entitled to have.

The following resolution of the first issue nearly surprised Jacque. For as persistent as Madcap was with his passion, he just as quickly showed signs of reason. He bowed his head in response to his declaration of resolution, but noted the other implication for later. "Thank you."

"I apologize, I was not trying to avoid it. Rather, I have always found it a bit easier to talk about separate grievances in sequence, especially when there may be a bit of contrast in the discussions." His eyes rested on the Savage's own, "It isn't hard to imagine what you want, but I would like to understand one thing first about your case before we get to how we can best square things up."

"You no doubt heard your Grand Wyrm's request for prestation that night. A request she made from the only two who were in disagreement with her because as she said: it felt 'one-sided'." He twisted a wrist and shrugged his opposite shoulder, "My response to which merely outlined what felt to be a more accurate depiction of the equality she sought. Plainly, if she desired prestation from only those who spoke out in disagreement with her, then it would only be fair for those who spoke out against the Harpy to do the same in one all-encompassing exchange if and only if all parties agreed."

Smiling while he calmly continued, "Now, the Grand Wyrm and the Harpy in their wisdom saw and agreed upon an alternate resolution. A better resolution: calling it completely even." Gesturing a hand to Madcap to single a hand-off in the conversation, "What I would like to understand is what offense is there in merely discussing such a compromise? You retained at all times the choice to decline if it came to the point of asking you, which it did not." Most of all, Jacque felt that the further pursuit of prestation was against the nature of the deal forged between the two ranking officers, but he wanted to see how the Savage felt about the current framing of this perceived slight.

Blood Hunt:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread