Ended
Watch

Don't Make a Beggar Of Me

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    T
    Thomas Boyle

The first word that comes to mind when visiting the Temple is 'raw'. When arriving through the main entrance, one directly enters the ritual room, as is usual with churches. Aside from several wooden benches against the walls and the altar, this main room is mostly empty. The walls are decorated (or 'decorated') by what remains of the graffiti crafted by previous occupants. There are hundreds of etchings on the altar, and upon closer inspection they are revealed to be the names of gods revered across the world.

But perhaps the most distinct element of the decor is the inscription painted in red, above the altar:

"THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE/AND WITH STRANGE AEONS, EVEN DEATH MAY DIE"

A simple wooden table and two chairs occupy the center of the room, one of which is taken by Thomas, clothed in a plain dark shirt and slacks. He's reading a newspaper in the dim candlelight, turning the pages with mild interest.

If one wishes to breathe, they'd detect a faint smell of incense and sage. There's little light in the Temple, provided by several candles placed at just the right distance from one another to make the Beast aware, but not stir it to any... violent action.

Domino @%1;

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

Mister Meadows, Interpreter

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Oh, I love it Thomas. It's exactly the right amount of Gothic." Ellis breathes in the smell of the temple as he enters, taking it all in. It was the graffiti and the carved altar and the Lovecraft quote in red paint and the dim candlelight and the smell and the perfectly fitting Sunday-school-teacher-that-wants-to-murder-you-and-skin-you-in-the-rectory aura that Thomas put out. All these things combined made something greater than the sum of it's parts. "This is almost precisely what I imagine when someone says 'Circle of the Crone Temple'."

Ellis is wearing a white polo shirt tucked into grey slacks, a sharp and unintentional contrast to Thomas' outfit. "I'm sorry, do you mind if I call you Thomas? You seemed to prefer the informality of it when we ran into each other earlier, I wouldn't want to be rude. Thank you for being willing to meet with me, by the way."

T
    Thomas Boyle

"I am so glad it managed to live up to your expectations" Thomas says dryly as he puts the newspaper away "Please, take a seat. I don't mind first names at all, in fact you will find it's kind of an expectation when on Crone property. Honorifics are nice and all, but shedding them allows us some clarity"

"So, Ellis, you said you wanted to discuss something?" Not that Thomas was opposed to small-talk, oh no. It's just that he prefers to have all the cards on the table before discussing the latest episode of Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I did Thomas." Ellis smoothly slips down into the chair opposite Thomas.

"What do you know about Belial's Brood?"

And just as importantly, what was it going to cost to find out?

T
    Thomas Boyle

Well, that is something he didn't see coming.

"I know they are a group of demon-worshippers, adopting the nickname of the Forsworn, that revel in disrupting order for their own philosophical reasons. They claim heritage from ancient East, and wield blood sorcery the likes of which is not present anywhere else - it helps them in their descent towards monstrosity, you see" There is a long, drilling look into Ellis' eyes as Thomas speaks. Certainly it's less than pleasant, but could be easily explained by the topic at hand "I also know that it is something few dare ask about, unless they are Sheriff, Prince or in their direct employ. Why do you ask, Ellis? Why the Brood?"

The question was way too specific to be random.

"There is, of course, much more. We can talk payment and areas of specific interest after. Your answer may very well affect them both"

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-03 13:43:31 Thomas Boyle rolls 9 to Aura Perception (Int + Emp + Auspex + WP - 3 for subtle shifts in the mixtures of colors and patterns) (10 Again) 10, 5, 8, 10, 7, 4, 7, 5, 3, 1, 3 3 successes

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-03 13:45:17 Thomas Boyle rolls 9 to Use Auspex to detect possible lies (Int + Emp + Auspex) (10 Again) 1, 6, 1, 5, 5, 8, 2, 10, 3, 6 2 successes

"An Auspex user who observes someone in the act of lyingmay recognize that the subject speaks falsely. Intelligence +Empathy + Auspex is rolled versus the subject’s Composurein a contested action. The Auspex user recognizes the lie ifthe most successes are rolled for him" (VtR Core, p.120)

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

+1
    SL
    PRE

"The Sheriff mentioned them." Ellis says simply. "She was talking about some current events and while she was giving me the background, she mentioned having to evict some of the Brood in an earlier night here in Sacremento." He shrugs.

"I wasn't in her office to play twenty questions about esoterica, so I didn't pester her with questions she might be able to answer. I did decide to speak with an expert, and you're the closest one of those that I'm aware of in the Domain. And, if you'll let me be frank, a lot of what I 'know' about them is slanted to make them look like they have a lot in common with what I 'know' of the Circle." He gestures to the temple around them. "Considering what I've learned about the Circle and you Acolytes since my arrival, I figure it's only right to let you correct my knowledge."

Pale shades of Vermilion, Lavender and Rose repeat slowly through Ellis' aura, like ripples on a pond. When he looks at Thomas it shifts into pale patterns of Light Green with a faint intermingling of Orange and Deep Red. When Thomas speaks of payment, pale shades of Dark Blue, Lavender and Violet dominate.

His aura suggests he is being entirely forthright in his statements.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-03 17:40:41 Ellis Meadows rolls 7 to com + res + BP (10 Again) 1, 8, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5 1 success

T
    Thomas Boyle

The dancing colors are a marvel to look at, but the Ventrue has learned to appreciate them for their informative, not aesthetic value. Most are expected. Some are more unsettling than others.

"Let me be clear on one thing first: there is very little in the way of primary sources produced by the Brood that detail their history and teachings. The reason for it is that they possess even less centralized structure than the Circle and the individual covens are too secretive, too deranged or both to leave consistent traces" Which forces a researcher to do all manner of unpleasant things. Interrogations. Crawling in ruins. Watching horrific rituals unfold "Hence, I offer you years of personal experience, hundreds of pages worth of various testimonies and one talk with a certain Gangrel scholar operating out of Chicago" He smiles "If there's anyone that knows the full truth about the Brood, that'd only be Belial himself. I am, however, the next best thing you get"

He lets the extended sales pitch settle in the Daeva's mind and watches his reaction with interest.

"For these reasons, I will be calling for a Major Boon - that encompassess everything I know or suspect to be at least partly true, as well as answering any Brood-related questions you may have" Which in itself was a reasonable offer, considering life and limb were not even on the top of the list one risks by getting close to the Forsworn "In addition, since you have nothing but my word as reassurance that I am an actual expert and not a charlatan, I will make a gesture of goodwill and update you, for free, with any new data I'll be able to dig on them, for the next six months" What is left unsaid, but remains no less true because of that, is that Thomas likes Ellis. Or at least, respects him, as he does anyone seeking knowledge fueled by nothing but curiosity.

"If you accept these terms, then the only thing that needs to be stated is: where do you want me to start?"

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

(Empathy Roll)Willpower 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Ellis regards Thomas silently, as he considers the price... and the man setting the price.

Ellis is trying to figure out if Thomas considers what he knows as actually worth a Major Boon, or if he's starting with an inflated price as a negotiation tactic.
    Contest with Composure + Subterfuge, if desired.
      4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-04 14:48:06 Ellis Meadows rolls 9 to Is Offer in Good Faith Wit + Emp (10 Again, WillPower) 8, 7, 2, 8, 10, 4, 5, 9, 3, 7 4 successes

T
    Thomas Boyle

Ellis is able to read, as certain as he can be, that Thomas firmly believes his information to be worth a Major Boon, carrying himself with the confidence of an expert that has endured a lot to get the knowledge. Not only that, there is no evidence in the Lord's body language that he intends to short-change Ellis on any part of their proposed bargain. Clearly, Thomas has no patience for deception.

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

+1
    SL
    PRE

Well it was nice that someone traded in boons here in Sacramento. Ellis had half expected that he'd be quoted a dollar amount. And well, he still might be asked to do just that, everyone knew that if the First Estate was good for anything, it was a fat wallet. After all what other Covenant expected you to have a drawer full of $500 dollar jewelry that you trade as gifts that you keep forever but never wear?

There was also the urge to dicker about with the price. See if he could knock it down to two majors, or two majors with a third on offer if the six month window bore fruit. But really that would be so low class, they weren't at a flea market. Thomas carried himself like an expert and while there was a certain amount of flash and style about the man, it didn't seem to be meant as deceptive. And what kind of Daeva didn't appreciate a little flash and style?

"I find your terms more than reasonable Thomas. I will register my debt with the Harpy using a note at the Nox after this meeting, or I can text her now if you would prefer more immediate conformation. Otherwise, before we start, I would appreciate either a written copy of the information you share with me, that I can keep in a secure location for future reference, or permission to record you on this matter if you'd rather not trouble yourself." Ellis withdraws a digital recorder, not currently running, from a pocket for Thomas' inspection. "As for where we start, how about what they want? You said there was a philosophy guiding their actions?"

If Thomas indicates his willingness, Ellis starts recording.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.