Ended
Watch

Yard Sailing

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    M
    Mr. Moon

The beauty of a Toyota made 40+ years ago is that it was made from something like three moving parts, so even with minimal care, they will last essentially forever. The reason you don't see many of them on the road these days is because they don't have a lot of the things that people take for granted in modern cars. Like air conditioning, or power locks and windows, or any safety feature developed in the last four decades.

They love them in conflict zones around the world though, fitted with a bed-mounted forty-cal machine gun in the back and it makes a reliable little war wagon for all your insurgent-slash-paramilitary needs.

However old it is, Mr. Moon kept the interior of his chariot in good repair, as most would expect from one of the Wizened. The radio has been replaced with a satellite model, which plays a science podcast while he sits in the vehicle as it rests in the parking lot of the gas station where he told Fawkes he'd be waiting for him, waiting for the other changeling. A pink box sits on the dashboard, it's half-dozen assorted doughnuts untouched, and two coffees with the little stoppers still inserted are tucked away in the cup holders along with the necessary additives once they are claimed.

Mr. Moon looks at himself, dressed in an unassuming black suit, in a side mirror as he waits, his Mask reinforced with Glamour. When he had gone to sleep last night, he thought today would be okay. But when he woke up, he knew that it was going to be one of the 'don't look at yourself' days. He runs a tongue across normal seeming teeth, knowing it won't last.

-1 Glamour for Hardened Mask

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    (Cloying metallic scent, pressure)
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

An expressionless humanoid with a sectioned doll-like exoskeleton of sand-blasted glass. He has glass eyes that move and blink, and his mouth moves enough to speak naturally without a speech impediment, but does not emote. Fawkes does have the same hair as his Mask escaping from cracks in his scalp. It is actually magnetized red sand; any facial hair (eyebrows, beard, eyelashes) have to be artificially applied by hand.
    Active Pledges:

Mentorship - Seraphina (Exp. Summer Coronation)

Renewal Required:

Good Neighbours - John Doe (Exp. 04/07)
    Good Neighbours - Maxwell J. Pierce (Exp. 03/26)

PRE

The generic grey sedan that Fawkes had purchased for under a grand eventually pulls into the baking concrete basin, GPS pinging from the cup holder where his phone sat.

The mannequin squints at the truck as he flicks the cigarette, grinding it under heel as he slips out with a lavender polo shirt, acid washed jeans, and a pair of aviators against the sun. He approached casually, hands in his pockets as he regarded the surprisingly loud vehicle for the lanky spook.

Mr. Moon was Masked for whatever reason, but he had noticed a few Lost hiding in plain sight. It wouldn't surprise him if the Autumn was a tightly wound nerve.

"Hi Moon," he said with a single flick of the hand.

M
    Mr. Moon

As Fawkes approaches, Mr. Moon turns off his radio. His driver side and passenger side windows were rolled down, but there was nothing he could do about the front and back ones. Or his mirrors, at least, not effectively.

"Fawkes." Mr. Moon raps his fingers on the steering wheel and quickly grips and releases them in forced relaxation, before nodding to the other man. "I could not help but notice that Rhodes was the only one who asked a pledge of newcomers publicly. That puts me in an unenviable position. Would you be amenable to a Good Neighbor Pledge for the day? Let us keep an eye out for a real threat without worrying about each other, our eyes curdling if we're untrue?"

Altered Good Beighbor Pledge
    Type: Vow
    Task: Alliance, Lesser (-1, Both)
    Boons: Blessing: Danger Sense Merit •• (+2, Both)
    Sanction: Flaw: Blindness (-2, Both)
    Duration: Day (+1)
    Cost: 1 Willpower (from Mr. Moon)

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

An expressionless humanoid with a sectioned doll-like exoskeleton of sand-blasted glass. He has glass eyes that move and blink, and his mouth moves enough to speak naturally without a speech impediment, but does not emote. Fawkes does have the same hair as his Mask escaping from cracks in his scalp. It is actually magnetized red sand; any facial hair (eyebrows, beard, eyelashes) have to be artificially applied by hand.
    Active Pledges:

Renewal Required:

PRE

Fawkes' lip twitches. The man had been paying attention, and honestly the mindset of another Leaden Mirror was comforting in its familiarity. "That should be fun with you driving," he said flatly, noting the coffee for more than one body. Truth be told, the term 'yard sailing' didn't trigger any memory and the Elemental had had to Google it. Either Mr. Moon liked his trinkets or was testing something. Animation wasn't something he would be volunteering to mess with, mistaken for a Manikin as often as he was.

"No problem," he blinked at the sun momentarily, "I swear on my power that I will seek no harm on your person or property this day."

M
    Mr. Moon

"Indeed, I'm practically a Spring." Mr. Moon says mordantly, sealing the agreement with the Wyrd. Once he feels it take, he relaxes and nods his head over to the passenger seat. "Please, join me. There's coffee and doughnuts if you want, and there's a map up in the sun visor with the itinerary, if you'd like to check it out before we get underway." Mr. Moon had already driven it last night, just for the sake of not having to worry about it the next day.

The coffee is hot, the doughnuts are a random assortment, and the map lays out three estate sales and an auction house that Mr. Moon wants to hit in the Rancho Corodva/Carmichael/Arden-Arcade area to the east/north-east of the Freehold proper. Mr. Moon watches Fawkes for his reactions, a Pledge didn't prove if one was or wasn't a bad job, but he was something of a rusted bolt. Most everything he had heard about him was lukewarm at best, and Rhodes obviously had beef with him.

How's Fawkes doing?
      2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-05-30 12:23:51 Mr. Moon rolls 6 to Wit + Emp -2 on Fawkes (10 Again) 3, 6, 8, 7, 9, 5 2 successes

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

Active Pledges:

Renewal Required:

PRE

Fawkes cracks his neck as their fates bind momentarily. A stronger Pledge for just a simple twenty four hour jaunt, but he was fine playing along. The Wizened had tolerated his abrasiveness and now was making an effort to check that the safety was still on the gun, he was sure.

With the polite invitation, the intimidating Elemental sits heavily inside the vehicle, taking him up on the offer of examining the map as if it were a perfectly normal activity between the two paranoids. Sunglasses slide down his nose as his eyes rapidly click over the route within a couple of seconds, signalling familiarity from hours of burning the information into his mind. A slight red tinge was building around his eyes in a sort of Wyrd mockery from of lack of sleep, as the sand constantly scraped the mask until thin. Fawkes was doing more blinking than necessary, either to dispel a headache or some kind of nerve firing out of irritation.

"Thank you," he said absently, eventually taking him up on his hospitality once the map was neatly folded and put back in its place. He didn't bother adding anything to the coffee and doesn't appear to be choosy about the doughnut, forgetting it once it's on his lap as he watches the road. "Settling in okay?"

M
    Mr. Moon

"Well enough." Mr. Moon takes one of the doughnuts and holds it in his mouth while he starts up the truck, before eating it. "Lived out of a hotel for a few weeks until I found a place. Now I'm renting a room until I find someplace better. Landlord is awful, but I'll be out by August so..." He shrugs off the rest of that thought as he pulls the truck out and onto the road. And really, awful but temporary landlords weren't the worst things he's had to deal with. "Downside of traveling so much, I guess. If I was going to be there any longer, I'd see if there was anyone in the freehold that could talk to mice though."

"Thanks for coming." Mr. Moon says, after a little bit. "I'm sure I'm just being silly about it, but, well, I don't know, general anxiety stuff. If there's someone with me, I won't be as twitchy and then I don't need to worry about being weird. Plus, you know. Company is nice. I know if I don't reach out, I'll end up sitting at a table during coronations with a toaster that I'm disassembling. Most of the time I-" He cuts off his thoughts as he starts babbling. "Sorry. I'm being rude. What is it that you like doing, Fawkes?"

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

Active Pledges:

Renewal Required:

PRE

"Landing a place is good," Fawkes said, musing on how long it had been since he wasn't in a motel of some kind at the behest of his career. "Don't have any warding tokens? Sticky traps are effective if not. Your choice whether you roll them off with oil and let them go, or just drown them." He couldn't recall if any Autumn Contracts required vermin for their loopholes.

He eats the doughnut absently as he listens, immediately regretting it when the glaze now coating his palette made the black coffee taste like bitter charcoal. With defeat, he added some of the sugar from the kit Mr. Moon had provided.

Despite the Wizened's empathetic attempt at signalling trust, Fawkes automatically honed in on the mention that the Elemental was there to remove any dangers. It matched the rhythm of his life thus far.

Okay. Whatever.

"It's fine," he said, waving off the nervous apology and divulging of quirky coping mechanisms. "You're talking to a torrent." After a beat, he suppressed a sigh—he hated this question. But everyone asked it, including him.

"Hobbies. I read a lot, take walks, train. Occasionally attend a live band at a bar."

M
    Mr. Moon

"Oh I wouldn't drown them." Mr. Moon sounds a little shocked at the idea. "I have some snips. Very sharp. The don't even feel it. If things were different, I'd put a dessicator together and mummify them for wards when I get a hollow put together." With a penny in it's mouth, a dead mouse under the floorboards will help keep unwanted visitors away. Depending on how many you had, there were options to scale it up beyond 'bury a hundred mouse bodies under the floor' too.

"That sounds fun." The bar thing was never Mr. Moon's strong suit. Drinking pushed him to babble, and he was already prone to doing that if he wasn't watching himself. "Any kind of band in particular?" He could enjoy a good QUEEN cover band, but everyone liked QUEEN. It probably hardly counted.

"Do you mind if I ask you some questions about the Freehold?" Mr Moon asks, a little quietly. "It seems like you're the only one paying attention, far as I can tell."

1 success to picking up on resignation
      1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-03 01:01:12 Mr. Moon rolls 6 to Wit + Emp -2 on Fawkes Feels (10 Again) 4, 1, 4, 2, 9, 1 1 success

Presence
    (Distant)
    Rigid Mask
    Summer Mantle
    Fawkes
    Mien Details:

Active Pledges:

Renewal Required:

PRE

Fawkes just nods, filing the information away as one he hadn't heard of yet. Whether a rodent graveyard provided a mundane barrier to healthy mice or invoked the Wyrd didn't really matter to the Lost at the end of the day; flexible reality being a matter of course.

At the question he is still for a moment, suddenly chuckling to himself as he hides his face behind his hand. The glass shifting audibly to accommodate the rapid structural change.

"You know, I hadn't thought about it. I think I focus more on the theory and the sound of it. Lyrics go over my head. I can't really connect the words to anything meaningful so it's more about how emotion can affect the sound and integrate into all the rest to create something harmonious. I didn't even think about paying attention to genre. That's funny." You didn't hear a lot of orchestral pieces in a bar.

He blinks at Mr. Moon's question, smile fading automatically for an Elemental that wasn't used to it. He had likely already had a powwow with Rhodes, but getting multiple perspectives told Fawkes that this wasn't the Wizened's first rodeo. "Shoot."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.