Ended
Watch

Strangers in his House

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    A
    Arturo Garcia

A small church sat on top of a hill, just off a beaten road that linked to the more modern road. Surprisingly despite the rustic feel it wasn’t really that far off from civilization, the joys of Northern California versus the much more space starved south. This little wooden structure had someone care for it, the windows were intact, the white paint was dried out but not chipped or worn away, and when one went inside it was a quaint if somewhat plain interior with a half dozen smaller pews on each side of the isle with a small altar at the end. Some stairs snaked off on one side and led up to a small platform with an old organ, the opposite side a door that likely led to some private quarters.

The patch of dirt out front had the Bishops car pulled up, on the side opposite to the entrance of the small cemetery that held maybe two dozen headstones and plaques. Humble, quaint, unassuming - Arturo was glad he could borrow the keys from the owner for the evening, a part of the partnership he had with his local allies.

Arturo himself sat in the front row - black slacks, black jacket, deep red collared shirt- , half way down the pew. He was leaning forward with elbows on his knees and hands clasped as he spent his time looking forward, examining the iconography. He waited patiently, no longer in a state of utter starvation but not exactly sated by any stretch.

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

Mister Meadows, Interpreter

+1
    SL
    PRE

To Blush or not to Blush?

Ellis eventually decided to forgo the camouflage, but it was a near thing. It was a tool the Invictus like to wield, a subtle reminder of the wealth of the Covenant, the idea that their Herds were full and healthy (even when they weren't), that they had the best Havens (even if they didn't), that they held the support and respect of the Domain (even if they didn't), and that the very notion they needed to moderate themselves even that little bit like other, less prosperous Kindred was a foolish one. It was a kind of sophistry, but waking up every night and eating people encouraged a certain amount of sophistry. Now that Ellis was getting to the point where he could afford to do that with his supply, he was very eager to do so. But in the circumstances here? It would have just been a slap in the face, a reminder of something the Bishop no doubt was all too aware of. And there was no reason to be rude, just to be rude.

When Ellis does arrive, he opens and shuts the door quietly enough for a mortal, but thunderously to Kindred ears. His beast flares up at the sight of the other Kindred's back, painting a vivid picture of the Bishop slowly and very methodically breaking every bone in his body into two even pieces with his bare hands. Each step closer down the aisle seems to echo with the snap of an expertly broken bone to Ellis' ears, and he takes his time with the walk to give both of them enough space to deal with their own inner demons. Ellis didn't know which he preferred, the clarity of his Beast's reactions when he was meeting Kindred one on one, or the just as distracting but less specific cacophony of multiple Beasts at Court. It was probably a question that didn't have an answer.

"Bishop Garcia." Ellis nods his head to the other man, taking a seat in the pew alongside the Bishop, one seat open between them. "I'm glad you received my note." He's wearing a pressed, emerald green button-down shirt tucked into black slacks. No coat, due to the warmness of the evening.

A
    Arturo Garcia

If not for recent events, the Bishop’s beast may have been put on the defensive - but the Serpent had its favored taste back on its tongue which only incensed the monster within even more. Coiled within the hallow chest the obsidian claws braced themselves on the cage of bone and the black tongue flicked out as if to taste the emotion on the air. The Serpent though, he wasn’t going to be challenged, not in a lair of its choosing.

As for the husk it was held within, grasped hands would qualify as white knuckled if blood still readily flowed as the grip was solid, and served as the keystone to the locked joints that screamed to pounce, and unleash fury upon this kind visitor, all because he made the effort to try and be nice and visit. Overcoming this desire to destroy was why they were social though, it was much more human.

”Mr. Meadows, a pleasure to finally meet one on one, man to man. How have you been enjoying your time in Sacramento?”

As he spoke he tilted his head to look over at the Daeva, a welcoming smile on his own face as he took a moment to take his fellow Kindred in.

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Well Court was almost unbearably dull, compared to the events of the Formal when I arrived. Both the Harpy and Sheriff were no-shows, as well as practically all of the Dragons as far as I can tell. Most everyone else sat in a corner or milled about like they expected the ceiling to collapse at any moment." He rolls his eyes at the memory. Were their positions reversed, he'd want someone to fill him in on the state of court in his absence. Maybe Garcia was the same, maybe he wasn't. "Still, outside of Court I've been getting along well enough. Busy, of course. There have been some productive conversations, and some unproductive ones. It suits me well enough, not every member of my Family is built for endless nights of party after party."

"It's very peaceful out here. Far less tense." Almost relaxing, if you could go back into the Domain when you were done. If you could ignore the way Garcia's Beast pushed at Ellis'.

A
    Arturo Garcia

”I find that as much as our natures screams for us to engage in a social game of sorts, and isolation tends to bring out the worst in us, there comes a point where time away from everything can help one reorient themselves. Plus when I wish to speak with a Higher Power I do not necessarily want the heckles of Kindred ringing in my ear. In short, a nice quiet place to settle things between myself and my faith. I was never raised to be some sort of Monk however, so I don’t think I could stay away for too long before going at least a little stir-crazy.”

The Ventrue’s tone was soft and carried the traces of his accent and it seemed to have the slightest of echoes in the wooden building. It was more on the soothing side at this time, lacking an edge it often had in court when he was conducting more serious matter - such as seeking to end an unlife.

”Sins of the Father riddle our blood don’t they?”

He replied to the comment on partying.

”You eventually travel through enough circles to realize why the stereotypes exist, but at the same time begin to understand that while there is usually a reason we end up where we do, we are still people behind it all that process and handle it in different ways. Which makes me curious, what brings you here to Sacramento in the first place Mr. Meadows?”

A simple curiosity, and one that was sometimes asked so much that someone got sick of explaining it, or asked so little it caught some off guard. Given a natural curiosity for situations like this Arturo couldn’t help himself, though the situation of the Domain made it especially interesting.

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

+1
    SL
    PRE

Sins of the Father. What an interesting phrase to pick out. And it wasn't a secret after all, he had intended to tell this to Mitnick regardless. And they weren't in Court, or an Invictus Salon, where the details had to be danced around for the sake of decorum.

And it wasn't like his letters were going to matter one fucking bit up here.

"My Sire is a... shiftless dumbass." Ellis says lightly. There were several Kindred in the Court who reminded Ellis of him, to one degree or another. "He needed a favor a few years back, when I was alive, he was vague on the details but it was always pretty much impossible to tell him no. The reason he needed the favor put some holes into me, and he essentially Embraced me out of guilt. His Sire let him live a very sheltered Requiem, and she apparently genuinely loved him. If he had gone to her, she would have covered it up." No need to expand on how.

"Instead he tried to hide me. The Law found out, of course," Ellis rests an arm across the back of the pew, looking up at the altar before them. "and his sire paid through the nose to keep him from being executed for the unsanctioned Embrace. She was allowed to stake him, and she would be allowed to un-stake him once I was considered a fit member of society." He fast forwards over that chunk of his history with a gesture. "I'm sure you can imagine the kind of relationship we ended up having because of it. Anyway, once the punishment was resolved, he wanted to play 'free wheeling vampire siblings'. She wanted to play 'lets arrange for Ellis to suffer an unfortunate accident'. I left because I wanted to avoid hot messes like that."

With that in mind, imagine his surprise when he walked into April's Court. He doesn't say it, but the look he gives Arturo, a smirking grin and a raised eyebrow at the sheer ironic humor behind what you want and what you get, expresses the concept well enough. Who came to Sacramento because things were going wonderfully in their last Domain?

"And you Bishop? What called you here? You don't sound like a native."

A
    Arturo Garcia

Very open about it, but there was nothing wrong with that, they all had very real origins stemming from their previous lives and how they came to number among the Kindred who dansed in the night. The only thing they all could relate to was the fact there was a sire, and there was a beast, and there was always hunger. Inalienable facts of the condition.

Having turned his head while Ellis spoke, the Bishop nodded as he spoke - cold eyes resting on the male as he had leaned back - all so he knew that Arturo was engaged with the narrative. He let the man wrap up, and reply with his own question.

[color=#ff4500]”There comes a point where we have to play the game for ourselves. We can be glad that they were simple enough to not be able to follow through with more tact and guile or we may not be having this conversation.”

”Myself, however? I grew tired of my original home. There was strict purpose, high expectations, and station to both serve and rise too. After many, many nights it begins to feel the same and what was once safe and practiced routine begins to gnaw at the mind and play its games. Before things grew worse I pardoned myself - in a respectable fashion - and decided to try new avenues. Sacramento seemed a place worth spending some time in so I have settled in to see what I can make of it. While the road is rocky, the returns have yet to diminish enough for me hit the road again.”

Arturo still leaned forward, his head slowly turning back to eye the altar in front of them.

”So Mr. Meadows, are you a believer? If anything it lets me know how much overture to put into any great lecture I may have.”

It also told the Bishop a great deal, as he had spent much of his danse using the topic of Faith to build bridges.

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I try to be understanding about it. Practical." Ellis rolls his shoulders in a shrug. "I wish my sire the best, but I'm not optimistic." He had a new phone number, but he still half expected to get a call one night from his sire asking for a small loan of whatever you've got dollars.

Ellis mirrors Arturo's earlier motion, turning his head to the Bishop as the other man returns his attention to the altar. "It's comforting to believe that there's a reason I was turned into a monster. That there's more to my existence than a slow slide into ennui and depravity while I snipe and sneer at idiots in court who are too stupid to know I'm better at it than they are." He sighs and returns his own gaze to the altar. "When I was alive, I thought I was too smart for religion. And the Invictus sees power as meaning enough in and of itself, and I don't really disagree with that. I'm not an artist, but I can learn to be a great one if I study long enough. I can throw money around at charity cases to feel better about myself. If I get enough influence, I can rewrite laws into patterns that suit me. I don't think I'm at risk of falling out of the Invictus, but the words of the Dark Prophet are comforting in their own way."

"I don't know if that makes me a believer or not."

A
    Arturo Garcia

”Myself, I have long grown tired of the phrase ‘God has a plan for us all’. Do not get me wrong - there is a plan, but existence is our test to determine whether or not we are worthy of having a place in these grand designs. For us does that even apply anymore? Existence is very different in the ageless nights so we must struggle to ask if we have reached a purgatory and are just another gatekeeper to help the kine realize how fleeting their life actually is. The beast, it has a purpose somewhere in its design - but how we end up in its embrace, that is our own folly.”

“As for the sniping and sneering you mention? A wonderful tool, a fishing line really. Court is our playground designed to entertain our love of social environments without the nagging desire to devour everyone around us - even if the beast protests. I have played snide at court for many years myself. I sometimes have envy for those who think they are well attuned and satisfy their Beast through their failed attempts at social dominance. Ignorance is Bliss as they sat. It is almost tragic knowing that many of these little remarks are just morsels to stem the tide of domination.”

The Bishop leaned back finally, hands still clasped and resting on his stomach as he positioned himself.

”The Invictus do love their power and control, don’t they? It is a wonderful asset. For myself it never struck a chord, I see it as surrendering to the beast and bullying the kine while pretending to be close enough to them to avoid madness. Wealth? I have seen Crone temples made of Gold. Power? I have seen the Lance bend men to their will without so much as a gift of the Blood. Fear? I have been places were everyone fears Carthians around the corner. So on and so forth. It is in no way to say the First Estate lacks, but more a testament to the fleeting nature of all structures. Of course we all have a natural bias, mine is clear.”

God was a compelling argument for Arturo though.

”Beyond all the talks of politics, I always have something I tell young, young fledglings when I meet them. Some of them Lance, some of them not - is the idea of God so crazy tonight when last week you had no idea Vampires were real. It certainly opens the door to thinking, and the eventual realizations that the machinations may be so grand they are beyond our own comprehension.”

Presence
    (Suasive)
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Ellis Meadows

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ellis listens to Arturo and doesn't respond straight away.

"A great deal of the more philosophical tenets of the church sail over my head, Bishop. I'm not one for pondering the imponderable. I'm not a scientist, or an occultist, so I'm not capable of explaining what I am outside my own very limited point of view. I'm just a vampire that pursues social and temporal power and authority to secure and solidify my position within our society to better acquire the blood I need to wake up every night and continue doing what I'm good at. That is what makes sense to me. I want my nights to be interesting enough so that I'm not bored, but stable enough so that I'm not distracted by the unnecessary. If the Lord has a grand design in mind that includes my eternal damnation..." Ellis makes a noncommittal noise in the back of his throat. "I'm not going to say that I'm over it, but it isn't the sort of thing that I have any real say over, is it? I'm not exceptionally interested in railing against the seething injustice of it all."

Shouting 'it's not fair' into the night sky got old, and quickly. These nights it just seemed hypocritical, at best. Not to mention wasteful, when he could be doing something useful with his time. "I used to wish He'd be a little more blatant about what the plan was, but the whole blood drinking curse of eternal damnation thing is pretty damn blatant as is. Worrying about it too much seems a little like suddenly worrying about how your plane stays up in the air thirty minutes after take off. There's experts that handle those sorts of things, which is why I'm going to have to leave figuring that stuff out and advising me if I'm unknowingly fucking it all up somehow to people like you."

"So I guess the real question is," Ellis watches Arturo, to measure the man that he's asking to help him in spiritual matters, "what you consider fucking up in a spiritual sense for a vampire like me?"

3 success on an Empathy check to gauge the honesty/motivation behind what Arturo responds with next.
      3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-06-11 23:33:56 Ellis Meadows rolls 6 to Wit + Emp on Arturo (10 Again) 5, 9, 10, 9, 3, 2, 5 3 successes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.