Ended
Watch

Haunting the Waterfront

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    A
    Arturo Garcia

The Waterfront of Sacramento was a nice place. Dimly lit in the orange glow of street lamps, large swathes of grass and parks between small tracks of city works or parks and the occasional private enterprise. The rustle and shadow of the cities less fortunate could be seen in the distance, avoiding the paths. The unsettling sense around the predator that strolled towards the junction where he said he would meet his fellow Lord.

Arturo dressed well, blue slacks and jacket with lighter tone of the same color underneath. A phone in one pocket, a knife in the other should it be needed. He had doubt the latter would be necessary. Company would be nice, current revelations had afforded the Lance some stability in his given situation. He was less corpsey than usual, if not still a little stiff.

T
    Thomas Boyle

Of course, Garcia stood out. In the peaceful, quiet surroundings his face and his Beast were a stern reminder that danger lurks everywhere, all the time. Approaching from a path directly in front of the Bishop, Thomas has ample time to soothe his own inner demons, crying out for blood... and to get a good, long look at his cousin.

His clothing is a humble attempt at elegance, a simple charcoal gray suit. Like Arturo, he had a phone in one pocket and a knife in the other (although he'd find it funny to find out the sides are reversed). Finally, the Malkovian is close to the Latin Ventrue, hand extended in greeting.

"You look well. Taking good care of yourself, I trust?" He smiles "Long, night strolls along the water?"

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-05-30 04:04:56 Thomas Boyle rolls 9 to Aura Perception (Int + Emp + Auspex + WP - 3 for subtle shifts in the mixtures of colors and patterns) (10 Again, WillPower) 9, 4, 1, 2, 5, 5, 5, 2, 7 1 success

A
    Arturo Garcia

Primarily a muted Lavender, with a red border that seems to be trying to seep in and overtake the more dominant color.

The Serpent was coiled, ready to lash out but cautious in its current state, and more so given the surroundings. The beast did not wish to expose itself so openly despite the challenger to its authority that it sought to reign over - though understanding its handicap with the lack of vitae.

As the distance was closed the hand was accepted, his own grip locking with a couple up and down motions, slower than usual but not uncomfortably so. The Lance let a grin tug at the corner of his lip and let out a single gruff chuckle as he tilted his head and glanced to the water.

”I appreciate the compliment, though last I checked I still looked like I crawled out of a casket, but yes - taking well enough care to stay out of trouble.”

He motioned down the path, continuing in his straight direction, unless Thomas had a preference for direction.

”If old Mr. Stoker is to be believed we may as well be walking along the Great Wall, running water, purity, etc… All in contra to evil creatures of the earth, dependent on the soil they were buried in.”

Dracula, riveting book, if Thomas hadn’t heard of it Arturo would suggest it, heh.

”In reality though, I always enjoyed the air that came with moving water back before I turned. Helps bring clarity to the mind if you ask me, placebo or not I will take what works.”

“Yourself though, how have you been? I haven’t seen nor heard much since the Formal for obvious reasons.”

T
    Thomas Boyle

Thomas follows Garcia on the path, mulling over what he saw - wondering if the Bishop is always that way, always wrestling with anger, with nothing but social convention keeping the wrath at bay.

"'Old Mr. Stoker' is full of shit" Thomas replies bluntly "To the point where I wonder if it wasn't a deliberate decoy to put would-be hunters off the scent. Even if there were vampires unable to cross running water or afraid of religious symbols, evolution took care of them fast enough" Imagine a whole species, polluted with the inability to cross rivers. Starvation would be a matter of 'when', not 'if'.

"Have you had any clarity lately? It's been some time since the Formal, are you any closer to your dispute's resolution? Anything I can do to help?" Not only was Arturo family, he was also a man of strict beliefs - and even though they are wrong beliefs, it's something Thomas appreciates in today's cynical world.

"I have been well. Put my end of the family drama to rest - I think Simmons understands her mistake better now. And knows who to call if another mystery pops up" He smiles "In other news, there is a new Invictus, Ellis Meadows. If I was the gossipy type, I'd say he didn't get on very well with Jack at Court. Also, Finley is back"

A
    Arturo Garcia

”Please, Dracula is a wonderful piece of literature. I won’t argue its merits as a source material but I am quite partial.”

He chuckled softly, not denying that it was all bullshit but he would stand up his favorite literary Vampire.

”Unless you know how to make the Prince respect Prestation as a currency of the Kindred and the value it holds - I think my plight may continue for the foreseeable future. I have settled with Rebecca, took the boon. Jack and I traded trivials with a very stern message that I respect the hierarchy.”

He listened to the stories from what he had missed, grinning with a small chuckle of his own. It was like a child being in detention and getting the scoop of what he had missed on the playground. It was enjoyable, he had a soft spot for gossip and he would lie if he said otherwise. He nodded as there was mention of a new invictus.

”He reached out to me, I don’t believe he mentioned Invictus. Either way I hope he can find a place in that dollhouse. I have another meeting planned with some of the Domains older residents to try and get a picture of exactly how Sacramento has evolved. As for Jack, I am not surprised he would scrap with a proper Invictus. Words will serve him until someone takes offence and does not try to pursue matters within the Laws of the Domain. Paper shields only go so far.”

“Finley though, I am surprised. I sincerely thought that he had fled never to return. I should reach out, I’ve had good Carthian company in the past.”

He let out an unnecessary sigh in contemplation of the matter. The lines were becoming very clear.

”Speaking of family matters if you wanted to push for Whip now would be the time. My situation has largely removed from contention, and Jacks success has been lacking. Yourself though? You came out of the Formal with your opinion known, and no officers breathing down your neck and the respect of your Peers. I would back the move.”

Thomas hadn’t gone out of his way to piss Arturo off, and there was no love lost between Jack and Arturo. May as well let the Crone know the opportunity was his to take if he wanted. Arturo had other worries than putting his chips into family upheaval. For reaching out however, Thomas deserved something.

”I worry though. Your conversation with her was probably more fruitful but is there anything that concerns you about Rebecca? Besides the obvious outbursts I worry she me be keeping bad company. While she was publicly called out at the Formal I think it is best we don’t forget who was goading her to let them watch.”.

T
    Thomas Boyle

"It does well as an epistolary novel, I guess"

"It's funny, you are not the first person that tells me the Prince is... not very keen on Boons. I don't know why that is. Maybe she doesn't buy into the investment part of Prestation? That you need to keep the debitor safe so the Boon has value?" He gives a shrug. Who could tell? Well, maybe Twist could. Or Vivian.

Paper shields? Apt "True. But I think he has more than paper in his corner. Which will give him time to sway or buy some physical protection" As they walk, and Arturo mentions 'good Carthian company', Thomas can't deny himself and asks "Is that because liberation theology is as popular in the world of Kindred as it is with mortals?" He could easily imagine such a blend, vampires mirror their human prey in many ways, after all.

Oh, so now Arturo wants Thomas to be Whip? Somehow, the Malkovian is certain it is not just appreciation for his skills that guides the Latin Lord's words "No" and the word has a tone of finality to it. He thinks over the response for a moment "Unless the position suddenly becomes vacant, I'm not interested in it. Think about it: even if one of us takes this office away from Jack, then he is still Herald, still Alessandra's pet project... and still Seneschal's lover. You should've seen them at the Beltane celebration or in Court lately. Whispers, hand-holding... like a pair of high school sweethearts, makes this cold heart melt" He snickers "I will not be the instrument of this tug of war between you. You've swapped Boons, if you can't work together then at least stay out of each other's way"

"I didn't want to push my luck by giving her advice about the company she keeps, but if the master of social convention lets it slip in the open so easily, then they must feel very comfortable in the presence of the one they were talking to - and I don't mean 'safe', more like 'friendly'. I wonder if there is some secret pact between the Prince and Rebecca. And let's not forget that the Seneschal stood by, looking irritated about the fact that someone has a problem with discussing torture like it was nothing. The Invictus... let's just say something is rotten in the state of Denmark" The First Estate has been running the show since forever, or so the story goes. One could wonder if they are even capable of doing it anymore.

A
    Arturo Garcia

”Very quick, yes it is. Just as the Catholic Church and the leftist movements of Mortal design collaborate so do the Lance and the Movement where it is appropriate. I spent a good deal of time in the southern parts of Mexico helping emissaries make things happen. Usually it was the Lance and the Movement at the table appealing with the Crone. The First Estate never really could find any comfort in the jungle. It worked out more often than not, so I will not complain.”

A brief explanation of how he brushed with it, but he was not going to lecture Boyle on it - it seemed the man knew more than enough.

”I am happy they can enjoy such mortal constructs, I have personally found displays of the sort a weakness so I always assume it is a game. Is he trying to woo her for power, does she need a pet, so on and so forth. Tricks of the mind, and paranoia at work. Reminds me of home.”

He chuckled softly, and glanced to the younger looking Lord.

”That is fair, I have no desire to drag you down with us. But if the desire was there I wanted to be fair with you about how the cards fell in my hand. Being the only man to escape the Formal with an opinion and lack of enemies means something.”

If he did not want to pursue it so be it, it wasn’t Arturo’s job to make him.

”I don’t want the narrative to get lost, regarding the outbursts at court, I am far from having a clean record myself and have done awful things for my clan and covenant. None were good though nor would i make the argument that they could be construed that way. Never fun though, that is the danger. When the Invictus begins to look more like the Brood...It worries me. Especially when you look at the lines and see what clan politics may become susceptible too.”

It was quite the corner they were being drawn into.

T
    Thomas Boyle

"Sound like you had a pretty comfortable life there - or at the very least, you were an important piece of the local puzzle. Makes one wonder why you thought to move to Sacramento" The capital of California had a sizeable Hispanic and Catholic populations (with significant overlap, no doubt), but was it enough for Arturo to vacate his position as envoy to the Circle? "And if I am reading this right, we do not default to hate for the other's Covenant, as most in our groups are wont to do. How refreshing"

For all the rugged man's passion, he doesn't seem to put stock in affection. Readily dismissing them as a game?

"Ah, Mister Garcia! Don't you believe in true love that conquers all?" The Ventrue bridles up mockingly "Then again, you are probably right. I happen to know Jack is not York's first paramour, and certainly - not the last. Still, our Whip consorting with the Seneschal herself is an interesting thing to watch. I'll need to find a good reason not to indulge my voyeuristic nature" He smiles "I'll probably fail" Thomas says, laughing softly.

The Malkovian nods at Arturo's apparent show of honesty. It's crazy how he sees the man in a different light than mere months ago.

"Well, I wouldn't want to be like the duplicitous friends of Job and tell you that you are suffering your Banishment because of your supposed sins. I've always liked Elihu more: 'I will show partiality to no one, nor will I flatter any man'. But among the rather wordy explanation he provided on record, one thing stood out for me the most: suffering can be a learning experience. A lesson in humility? Or one where the shiny finish falls from the statues to uncover an unpleasant inside? Who can say?" It doesn't take a mind-reader to discern from Thomas' tone that he knows exactly which one of these options he prefers to treat as true.

"In other words, Tribulation brings Enlightenment. The question being: what are we going to do about it?"

A
    Arturo Garcia

”I was something, a tool of the Lance applied in many ways.”

Many hats, for reasons that made sense to him now.

”There will always be fundamental differences. Just as there are in the mortal world. The Lance is absurd as we take in followers from all Abrahamic religions who have found a common Kindred connection. It sounds fairy tale but there are plenty of cracks in the narrative. Myself, I put stock into the covenants that can do things that will make you turn your head. The Crone? I have seen an Aztec priestess who radiated power - life even, but was very much dead. Held a still beating heart in her hand. Just because I serve the Lance does not mean that power wasn’t real. It just means that I don’t understand everything. The Lance gives me a bath to understand the world as God seems to have intended it - but the nuances are beyond our rational thought so much of it a literal hope and prayer.”

Why hate what was tangible? He couldn’t explain the Crone’s capabilities versus’ that of the Lance but there was power there. It was very real - and in short it all linked to a greater purpose from a higher power. Arturo wasn’t one to muse on that though - there were wiser men for that.

”Just give in to your sin.”

He smiled with a short chuckle.

”Jack seems the type that wouldn’t complain about the audience, someone to witness his greatness. You may even get a trivial out of it.”

Another chuckle, imagining the errant Lord parading around as if he had won the lottery.

”Such a way with words Mr. Boyle, you find your way straight to the core of the issue with ease. How we react though? That is the question on everyone’s lips. Do we sit back and deal with things as they are? Hope we remain in the sphere of respectable interactions? I find myself in my position for attempting to follow the laws of the domain, so I am skeptical.”

“If I was to make a diagnosis right this moment, the Domain is sick. The leash will tighten most likely, around a select few at first and the wider population second and to have any autonomy will mean working within the shadows. That is how it went south of the Border at least.”

T
    Thomas Boyle

"It'snot a sin. It's a trait" Thomas shrugs "Even so, ever since when do themen of God encourage others to sin?"

He scoffs "I have yet to witness anygreatness from him. All he's promised to deliver remains just that - apromise" There is no spite in his voice, just factuality. The Clan of Kings not only isn't united and strong, it is discordant and atomized "But of all his qualities, I figured showmanship would be something you at least appreciate. You certainly turned heads, declaring Monomacy in the middle of a Formal Court" Thomas sincerely doubted it was all in the interest of transparency, and the idea that Arturo didn't have the self-control to wait until next night was blatantly untrue, based on what he's seen.

"Well, attempting to ignore or wait out the issue is never a good idea. I like to use the 'boiling frog' analogy - put an amphibian in boiling water and it will jump out, heat the water gradually and it will never see what's coming. The frog may even think it's receiving a warm bath" He snickers "Your stereotypical Acolyte would be delighted to hear a member of the Second Estate was banished. Me, I am not delighted. I am worried. As you said, the leash is bound to tighten" He agrees with the Lance. Tyranny is never content to oppress a part of the population, it must always grow or it dies.

"An interesting observation. Currently, however, the Prince and her friends have all the cards... at least as far as hard power is concerned. Money. Guns. Havens" He leaves it at that for the moment. Not being the slickest political operative around, Thomas still understands the difference between talking to his fellow Acolytes and Arturo, not a fan of Alessandra though he may be.

"You said the Prince doesn't respect Prestation? What makes you say that?" Likely, he made an offer and got dismissed out of hand, but Thomas would love the details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.