(Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 
      -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink

+1
    SL
    PRE

After how Courts had been going, it was nice to have a civil conversation. There were far too few of those.

Smirking, “It’s never supposed to be an FYI to the Prince. There is a lot that needs to be prepared for such a thing. Security measures that need to be taken.” It was a whole thing.

Nodding, “I’ll try and clear the subject up. As a member of the First Estate, it’s something you need to be aware of. Monomacy is not to be taken lightly, and one of our most serious rituals. It is something to be invoked after all other options have been exhausted. Options such a sitting down with a mediator to attempt to resolve whatever is going on. Now don’t get me wrong, Monomacy has a place in this Domain, but under the correct guidelines. I expect those who wish to invoke it to have attempted to resolve it without bloodshed and Final Death. I might be a Savage, but I believe violence has a time and place and much prefer diplomacy when possible. Which I'm sure some would call a lie. But I’m also not blind to some conflicts only being able to be resolved in Monomacy.” That out of the way. “If the parties attempt to resolve and are unable to, I will grant the Monomacy. But only after everything else has been tried. I cannot stress that enough. If one is willing to risk their Danse, then they can take the time to resolve it with words.” If not, then fuck them.
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nodding with her clarifications, "Absolutely. With this particular subject I would recommend avoiding a checklist in your laws. The current checklist is what caused the confusion and even with this additional step it could be twisted in an extreme circumstance to manipulate the Law to someone's favor." Flipping his hand to the side, "For example, my words may be sharp at times but my words are the only arsenal I have whether I disagree with someone or if I'm trying to persuade someone to fall in line. If I have to be verbally forceful with someone who could quite easily kill me, they would have no incentive to compromise or settle matters. If it is a guaranteed win for them, why should they?"

Tapping his pen against his pad, "I'd recommend listing how Monomacy is a last resort, the requirement of notice, the witnesses and add the requirement of a mediated discussion to resolve matters before any petition for Monomacy can be made. From a received petition you can meet with the Mediator to understand the issue, then attempt a final mediation of your own not mentioned in your Laws prior to granting or denying the request. It would allow you the clarity of knowing whether each party attempted to make a good faith effort in resolving the matter with discussion or if simply someone's mouth was writing checks their body can't cash. I think that closes the loop on any abuse of the system and you could note that anyone found to have not put in a good faith effort in resolving the matter without violence prior to petitioning the Prince shall face your displeasure."

His expression changes in sudden remembrance of something, "Probably should also add a note reserving the right to the final say on whether an issue is worthy of Monomacy. That way petty squabbles don't result in the senseless thinning of the Domain's numbers and removes the appearance of a summary checklist."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nodding, “Plus a checklist crowds the Laws.” And there was a few she could see attempting to twist the wording to their favor. “I would like to avoid that happening if possible. The Laws should be black and white, no room for those who wish to make them work for them and them alone.”

She listens to the example, nodding, “A fine example. Not everyone is able to fight. But not all fights are won with violence either.” A little something she learned when she was Reeve. “Though I suppose a way to deal with those who purposefully refuse to find a middle ground because their taste for blood is so great, will have to be found.” Some people could not see past their egos.

“A mediator is good idea, though it will get some push back. Domains are a melting pot of various personalities and there is always bound to be conflicts. And there are those who will take offense to someone attempting to stop conflicts from getting out of hand. Not that I’m concerned with people being upset, I’ve learned that there is no way to please everyone.” And at some point, you need to ignore the static and do what you feel is best.

“But the problem lies in selecting one who is not in it for selfish reasons. Or one who has not been promised something by either party.”
    Was Ale paranoid? Yes, but with good reason. “I have a few in mind though.” Well, mainly one. “I will admit, I am hoping that with the Laws being clarified, it will calm some tempers down.” A hope that was probably misplaced.

A dark chuckle, “Everyone who makes a demand for Monomacy will tell you whatever happened is worthy. As someone who’s had it declared on them, I know I didn’t see the perceived insult as worthy of it. The Prince also didn’t see it as being worthy. Not that she would have won mind you.” A wink. She wasn’t as strong as she was now, but she would have still won. “So maybe wording to the effect that the granting of Monomacy rests with me and only me. Nothing about if something is worthy or not, as some could perceive such wording as an insult. Which would do nothing to settle egos and anger.”

Sighing, “With all the threats a Domain could face, who would have figured it would it’s residents wanting to ash each other? I’ve faced down Brood and Hunters with what now looks like ease. But the mixing pot of Court is a whole new beast.”
    OOC

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque shrugged, “I imagine the method would depend largely on the circumstances. Mister Garcia’s punishment was swift and provided a motivation to reconcile, but not without its consequences.”

“That is, of course, completely at your discretion. You could also leave out the requirement for mediated conversation completely and then verbally require it when petitioned as a condition prior to granting or denying the request. This would also allow you to more seamlessly select a mediator whom you feel would be impartial at the given time.” That would eliminate the laws being unnecessarily congested and prevent someone from being bought off.

“True,” he was pleased that the Prince was so carefully minding the language as they discussed. He noted a few more details before commenting on her statement, “Indeed it is.”

He taps through the list, “Unless you have a new definition of treason, I suppose that brings us to etiquette. Speaking of which, I did meet with Sheriff Moretti regarding your desire for discretion during future courts and she has indicated she will abide by your expectation.”

He lifted his pen, ready to note the Prince’s ideas. He was certain that this bullet would probably draw the most from the Savage.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

A shrug, “There will always be consequences. Others will pass judgement on those involved due to prejudices or how they believe things should be run. There will always be someone who thinks they know better than you do how things should be done. Quite entertaining actually.” No one understood what went into the position of Prince, they just assumed they knew better. Fuck them.

“A more seamless approach would be best. Though once the first to request learns of a mediator, word will spread quickly. But that’s ok. I know who I can trust within the Domain and who I cannot.” Such a small list.

A small shake of her head as she looked at the paper, “No. Thankfully it’s only come up once, and I hope it doesn’t come up again.” That had been a trying time.

Eyes move from the paper to look at the Lord, “Did she now?” she’d believe it when she saw it.

“I would like to avoid any more unnecessary outburst in Court like we have recently seen. If someone has a concern about another, I expect it to be handled discreetly and respectfully. No more calling it out just to cause problems. It serves no purpose. Everyone is to conduct themselves in a respectable manner while within the walls of Elysia. We may hold Beasts, but we are not animals. The free for all attitude of attacking my officers will not be tolerated. They are to be treated with respect and if one cannot do that, they will not be welcome.” The disrespect would stop. “Also, I will also be changing how I handle others in Court, I’m not to approached unless invited by myself.” Making herself unavailable wasn’t ideal, but it needed to be done. “Also, if someone wishes to request a meeting with me outside Court, they will have to reach out Seneschal York to setup an appointment. I’ll be changing my number and only my officers will have it. So I want to make sure the Domain knows the steps they need to take if they wish an audience with me. I’ll be meeting with Seneshcal York to bring her up to speed, and I know with her smarts, she’ll know who and what is important enough to warrant an audience.” Some didn’t realize how intelligent Vivian was.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nodded in affirmation, “She did.” Raising a hand in pause he continues, “Now there was some initial disbelief because even with a whisper many of your Court are quite sharp with hearing. I explained that the difference is her discretion would be seen as an act in good faith. If someone else eavesdropped and attempted to grandstand then it would be likely they would face your displeasure.” His gaze remained with the Prince’s, wanting to make sure that he didn’t miss an indication of how she felt about the hypothetical. He was confident but it is wise to make sure he was accurate in communicating her vision.

He writes down the Prince’s thoughts until she stated she would no longer allow for others to approach her, “That is… strange for you. Is there something driving the change?” Flipping over a page and then looking back to the Prince, “It is unfortunate that we need to add such a common sense line item to the laws, but that particular item feels like it would best fit under the Laws of the Elysium. Regarding your officers, do you intend that to be limited to Elysium or an edict in general?”

The change regarding filtering meeting requests through the Seneschal made sense. It was a traditional part of the job after all. “I assume the requests that do not warrant an audience with you personally will be referred to me then?” It could be dangerous to flat out ignore some requests after all and it would give him an idea of how clear he should keep his schedule.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

There were no secrets while in Court. It was the nature of Court and Kindred.

“But does she understand the weight of what she stirred? That remains to be seen in my mind. But you are correct, if it hadn’t been her, it would have been whoever had decided make a scene. But they will learn that I don’t take kindly to stones being thrown without truth and evidence.” But why was it always Rebecca they went after? It was curious.

A nod, as she flipped through the papers, “It is, and not how I like to do things. But after the last Formal Court, and seeing how people reacted, it’s required. Seeing how unstable some are, and the hive like mind going on, I want distance from it. Sometimes it’s best to step back and observe those around you, it sometimes allows you to see things you were blind to.” People who truly don’t support you.

“It is unfortunate, but, it needs to be done. It’s for Elysium, I cannot control what happens outside these walls. Well, I can, but to a certain extent. If people want to snipe at each other out on the streets, that’s on them. I know there will always be a clash of personalities, but things will remain respectful here.” Or she was going to remove tongues and nail them to the walls.

“Well, they could be. People have been used to having access to speak with me whenever they wanted. I fully intend to handle those matters that are of utmost importance, but I don’t want to just have you handle things I don’t want to. I believe a good test would be seeing you handle more important matters as well. Seneschal York may also decide to take some requests on herself.”

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque shrugs at the question and leans back, "I believe that her actions will answer that question better than I could. What I know is that the message was delivered and discussed. She confirmed that she understands what you're asking for and the Sheriff doesn't strike me as the type to pussyfoot if she isn't keen on a particular matter."

He set down his pen as she spoke, "That is disappointing to hear, but I think I understand. If I may make a suggestion..." He pauses, making sure to consider carefully how he phrases the next statement, "I would recommend positioning this change as a desire to empower your Officers in the roles they have been given in the Domain. Whereas you may have enjoyed handling most matters personally and the engagement that came from it, the continued growth of the Domain has led to a need for some delegation to your Officers." He taps his chair arm softly as he considers pointing out how easily her original statement could be manipulated into propaganda, but chooses to hold his tongue for now.

"The focus of the last Court was around a rather touchy subject. You and Madam Harpy are both closer to your Beasts than most. Sometimes in your positions you have to be to get things done, but at the end of the day we all like to make sure that we have a strong leash on our Beasts. What Madam Harpy did had to be done, but it should never have been discussed in a public setting for everyone's consumption. It only served as the catalyst for dissent, accusing her of embracing her Beast over her humanity and arguably rightfully so." He shifted in his seat, "I don't think you're wrong in your approach, but I at least wanted to point out that your most potent ally would be in distancing yourself from your Beast. It is at the Core of the Dragon's philosophy and why they were the loudest voice in the room."

Picking his pen back up, signalling a return to the topic of laws, "You can absolutely set the decorum of the Domain with a general statement of respect towards your Court officers, but solidify that there is zero tolerance within Elysium." He shrugs his shoulders, "Your choice, of course."

Smiling, "I wouldn't find it offensive, I rather expected the role required it. If you don't mind, I would like to sit in and observe how you handle some matters if possible. It would help get a clearer picture of your approach to certain matters. The more I can calibrate as such, the better I will represent your interests."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

No one could understand until they wore the title. Dealt with the utter bullshit that people could spin up in their minds. “I do enjoy being hands on, and meeting new arrivals face to face. I never wanted to be one of those Princes who lock themselves away. But our numbers continue to increase, and as such, a little distance is needed.” There was then a nod, “I understand what you are saying, and do want to see my Officers taking on more of a role in the night to night activities. How else does one know if I picked the right person for the job?” his wording was better, but she expected it to be.

“Yes, it’s not secret how close I’ve become to my Beast. And like you’ve said, it’s come with the job.”
    Then Rebecca. “Her reasoning were sound. There was no use for the Kine to remain alive, he was compromised and would have been a threat. At least we’ve gained some knowledge from her experiments. But I need to remember that not everyone comes from a background where incidents like that are common.” She’d done worse than what Rebecca did back in her time. “Distancing oneself from the Beast is not that easy. I’ve been looking into ways to, and have every intention of being successful, but it doesn’t happen overnight.” But those who spoke about it could keep their judgmental views to themselves. And loudest voice only because one says jump and they all say how high.

“I just know I can enforce it here. So whatever wording you believe is best, I’ll put faith in that.” See if his law background and understanding of politics helped. “But I would like to see the final draft before it’s presented to the Domain.” She was sure he would understand that.

“You’re more than welcome to sit in on meetings with me. I’m a little blunter when handling things, though I have been trying to approach things differently lately. Some don’t take the bluntness well and it seems to cause more problems than anything. There are a few meetings I need to have actually, one is with Harpy Simmons, another is with Keeper Wood. I would enjoy your input during those meetings, maybe you’ll notice something I don’t. Or will have a better way of phrasing something so it comes off better. I know I can come off as callous and uncaring, even when it's not my intent.”

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nods at the Prince's affirmation, "Actually, it is precisely how difficult it is to do so that makes it your best weapon to squash any lingering discord. I'm afraid that punishments, especially with how potent and stern you are when delivering them can be easily manipulated as representing your closeness with your Beast for repercussions they don't agree with."

Bowing his head, "Of course, your Majesty. Adding addendum can be a bit messy at times so it is always best to have a draft review before official notices of change." He softly smiled, happy at the rapport they were building yet still being reminded of the checks and balances that needed to occur.

His hand tilting off to the side, "As I mentioned, when you get closer to your Beast, things like your directness and your sheer presence can feel more like it is influencing the way you handle business. Were you always so blunt? Or was there something that caused you to change your approach? For that matter, I know you only from my limited time and interaction from the last six months." Smiling at the Prince, "How did Madam Alessandra Antinori find her way to Sacramento and ultimately in the seat of power?" A coy grin, "Or would that autobiography be better saved for another night?"

"Well, regarding Keeper Wood we are relatively close to getting into the Laws of the Elysium. It may be prudent to have her join us in discussion at that time so your Keeper is involved in the discussion and decorum she will be expected to maintain." He wrote down a few notes on the topic as he waited for the Prince's response.

Blood Hunt:

Page 2 of 11 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
Closed Thread