Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes lets Moon reassert himself in a defensible position against a wall before speaking.

"Getting awfully crowded, wasn't it?" He gives the Wizened a charming smile. "Now. Perhaps we could try this again. Why don't you tell me about your dream? Simply to slake my curiosity, really - it certainly sounds fascinating. And then, to settle your nerves, a simple pledge - an assurance of forsaking past Loyalties and forging basic allegiances while you stay here. How does that sound?"

The Dread Lord's slightly sweet scent is breezes about on zephyrs like ice.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

M
    Mr. Moon

Mr. Moon settles in against a shady wall, where he can keep an eye on the rest of the party without moving much. "My gratitude, Dread Lord. I do not do well meeting crowds of new faces all at once, especially when the tension is as thick as that." His movement quickly become more human, less deathly still as the proximity of others becomes less of an issue. "I assure you, once I get to know them, I will become less high-strung."

"I am an Itinerant Seer, Dread Lord." Mr. Moon explains. "The Wyrd seeps into my sleeping mind, filling my dreams with visions full of metaphor and whimsy that allow me to divine the past and the future. A white stag on a dark forest path, clover and thistle spilling from it's mouth, a raven perched on its antlers caws thrice before bending down and pulling a maggot from the stag's eye. A sun-burnt child with black eyes splashing in a pool, shattering the reflection of the sun into a thousand golden shards. A flight of birds in the sky of a park at dusk, while a pale woman with no face spins widdershins, scattering fingers from a bag in a circle around her. A calf struggling in the snow, bleeding out from a cut throat while six woodsmen watch from the shadows, under a web being spun by a spider at midnight." Mr. Moon makes a warding gesture at his description of the last dream. "Omens and Visions of similar nature, some more difficult to interpret than others. I follow them where they lead me, seeking to better understand the messages the Wyrd seeks to impart. Since the last winter solstice, more and more of my visions have centered around Sacramento, past and future, which is why I am here."

"It sounds like I would like to know specifics, Dread Lord, before I agree to anything." Mr. Moon makes an ambivalent gesture with one gloved hand at the mention of a pledge. "I am certainly not opposed to a Pledge, but I prefer to know the details before agreeing to one so there are no misunderstandings on either side."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Flowering inclines his head. "Of course. Surrounded by unknowns, any of which might be a Loyalist in disguise? These are sensible Fears, and we have some.... forceful personalities. I would not want you to forget your Fears. That is not our way."

Rhodes listed in stoic silence as Moon describes the visions and manner of his arrival to the city. He watches closely for any lies in the story. "Fascinating. And how many of your omens and portents come to pass, if I might ask? Should you see things of import to my Freehold, I would certainly be grateful."

4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-05-19 07:10:29 Rhodes rolls 7 to Sense the Truth: Wits+Empathy (10 Again) 10, 9, 3, 1, 8, 1, 9, 1 4 successes

He nods, as Moon enquires as to the details of a pledge. "Of course. Any Autumn courtier worth the name would want to know such details before swearing." He pauses, thinking. "A season, to begin with. Our Freehold currently lacks an Oath - I have been working to try and establish one. We are almost there, and I hope that by Summer's Rise it will be accepted by the other sovereigns and set in stone. Specifically, that you have forsaken all ties to the Gentry and their agents, and that you will will align yourself with the members of this Freehold. The boon would be flexible, and I tend to inflict Curses on Oathbreakers. It takes care of most and serves as a hefty warning to all. NOthing too unusual I'm sure you agree, simple precautions for simple greetings."
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

M
    Mr. Moon

"If they are not disrupted by actions taken due to the foreknowledge of the event, they all come true." Mr. Moon says, quite honestly. There is no evidence that he is misrepresenting the nature of his visions, or the content of them. "Sometimes they have already happened. The difficulty lies in deciphering them correctly. On Febuary Seventh of this year, I dreamt of a white room, with a maiden sitting on a bench who's right hand was pierced by a pin of green metal surrounded by five figures shrouded in green who's faces were each covered by a trembling branch. Blood dripped from the wound onto an unevenly split starfish, one piece having three limbs, the other having two. Now it is quite clear that dream the Wyrd was telling about a Spring gathering that I would attend in May. The white room symbolizes the newness of the venue, the figures in green represent the month of May with it's connection to spring, the trembling branch the efforts of the Constable to do his job." He makes a twisty motion with one hand, surely the Dread Lord could piece together the jist of it now. "Like many things about Dreams and the Wyrd, it is more about intuition than actual science. More often than not, I will read about something in the paper or see it on the news and I will have a eureuka moment as I recall a vision that stumped me months ago that suddenly becomes clear."

Mr. Moon nods as Rhodes lays out the details of a pledge. "That is suitable. I have no objections to a seasonal vow of that nature, and we can discuss renewing it when the time comes, should it prove necessary. However I must take pains to say that my visions are a gift from the Wyrd. I am not some carnival huckster, cold reading people and trading them lies for lucre." Mr. Moon does not sound like he is accusing Rhodes of suggesting anything of the sort, simply laying out the facts as he sees them to head off potential misunderstandings. "It is my standing policy to share omens of warning with any freehold that I work with, as well as contacting individuals if I believe that I have seen something with them as a subject. I do not charge for this, due to the unreliable nature of the visions." Mr. Moon smiles, each muscle moving in complex sequence to expose his metal teeth. "If someone wishes me to make the attempt to steer the direction of the Wyrd for one night, I am willing to discuss it but I can make no guarantees that the vision will be useful, of the future, or easily interpreted. Still, the option is there."

"Of more practical and immediate use to the Freehold, my not-inconsiderable medical skills are at it's disposal, if the patient-to-be is comfortable with it. I know charms and contracts and have hedgespun equipment that makes me, at a most conservative estimate, as good as any mortal hospital you care to name, though my bedside manner leaves something to be desired. I can broker away my ability to lie to the Wyrd in exchange for being able to recognize any lie spoken in my presence, should the Freehold have need a truthfinder. Finally, should the freehold need it and feel my other talents not more valuable, I can take up arms for it's defense."

Sight of Truth and Lies (Goblin Contract •)

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

(Willpower for Pledge)Willpower 1 Spent
    +1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes listens closely, and nods. "Of course. The winds of fate are never clear, even to the most experienced minds. Far more art than science."

He pauses for a moment, thinking carefully. "The Leaden Mirror currently consists only of myself, but I wish to use our talents and knowledge to benefit the Freehold - make us stronger together. Being so generous with your rare skills is a fine way to establish oneself in a Freehold like this one, where few people know the more unusual skills we can possess. Our last doctor left some time ago, and while I hope your expertise will not be called on too often, I'm sure people will feel more reassured knowing you are on hand and willing to offer medical expertise. Perhaps we could introduce you to King Richard in a more private setting - if anyone will want to avoid trips to mortal hospital, it is the Iron Spear."

A contract to separate Truth from Lies? How devious. "Hedgespinning is not in my talents, but I am a skilled Oneiromancer. But I think we are getting a little carried away, Mr Moon. Let us finish out business from before, yes? Hmm... You said your bedside manner left a little to be desired?"

The Dread Lord cracks his knuckles and clears his throat. The winds of his Autumn Mantle pick up as Rhodes reaches for the Wyrd to bind the pledge. "For the next season, we will neither act for the Gentry nor their agents, nor will we betray the Freehold of Sacramento to those who would do them harm. This we Vow, lest our fortunes turn against us. But while we hold true, the gift of the silver tongue will be ours."

Pledge: Vow
    Task: Forbiddance (will not serve the gentry or betray the Freehold members to dangers)
    Boon: Adroitness (Persuasion)
    Sanction: Curse (success on 9&10 only)
    Duration: 1 season

M
    Mr. Moon

"Oh, my yes." Mr. Moon titters and blinks rapid fire and flutters his gloved hands in a way that is eerily reminiscent of one of those large robotic animal-person entertainers at a child's novelty pizza restaurant and arcade having a short out and seizing up. "Nerves, heh-heh. Thus I do swear."

He feels the Wyrd twist and coil and settle down around his heart, sealing him to the very reasonable forbiddance with a dagger poised to strike if he dared to break it. Though if he were so foolish, the curse would be the least of his worries. If Rhodes is expecting the blessing to manifest a noteworthy change in Mr. Moon's demeanor, the fact that it doesn't just goes to show how bad of a bedside manner he possesses.

"Will there be anything else, Dread Lord?" Mr. Moon asks, wringing his gloved fingers with his other hand one by one. "If you think it appropriate, could you introduce me to our Host? I would like to apologize for disrupting their event and get their permission to bless their barbecue for the afternoon to make up for it. It would give me something to do with my hands. I just fall to pieces if I don't have something to do with my hands."

Fairest didn't understand that sort of thing, Mr. Moon supposed. But for Wizened, idle hands were very literally the devil's playthings. Idle hands brought attention best avoided. Idle hands meant the Gentry would find something for you to do.

Fairest had their own scars. As did Beasts, and Darklings, and Elementals and Ogres. You could get out of Arcadia, but you never really escaped Arcadia.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

"It is done! Excellent, excellent," Rhodes beams, feeling the ties of the Wyrd wrap around them both.

"For now? I think not... oh. If you could provide me with a contact number so I might reach you. Sending it to the Haunted House will suffice." He watches Moon's anxious movements. The Wizened were always a peculiar sort, almost banal in their duties... but they were still free and, as The Dread Lord well knew, still cunning and skilled. "Of course, of course. Introductions to the Host it is, and we shall endeavour to keep idle hands busy. Ah! There she is, as lovely as ever." The Flowering steps over towards the pool where Seraphina and Sasha stands, expecting Moon to follow.

Rhodes heads back to the main thread.

8. Likes Domino liked this post
    M
    Mr. Moon

"Oh yes, my number, of course." Mr. Moon pats himself down for a moment, seeking something to write with and on. Nothing appropriate is found, but Rhodes did give him an out. "Of course, of course. I'll leave it at the haunted house. It will be for a number that I only keep for Lost-related matters, of course."

His search did uncover a small handkerchief that he twists and wrings between his hands as he moves to follow Rhodes over to the pool. This was going to be even worse, he just knew it.

Mr. Moon shuffles off to follow the Dread Lord

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Just closing this up.

Closed Thread