Ended
Watch

A Cover Is Not the Book

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    K
    Kid With Knife

"You're being too literal, Phee." Kid shakes his head. "My fault, just trying to make jokes. Not great at reading people." He puts his sunglasses back up in his hair. There's a shrug in his eyes, like he's used to people reacting flatly to his attemts at being the funny guy and he's made his peace with it. "Sounds..."

Kid watches the stranger walk up to them and Name them, while schooling his face into the disinterested visage of youth when one of the Olds came over to talk to your Parental Unit.

"Naw dawg." Kid flashes the old man a hang loose gesture with a free hand. "Must run in different circles." It had been something of a slow month at the circle whenever he'd been there.

He glances over at Winter and then Phoenyx, a silent inquiry about making the conversation a little more private before he started talking about serious wizard names and stuff. Last thing he wanted was someone on the other side of the bookshelves hearing introductions.

S
    Shodan

Sitting in a remote corner of the store, Shodan neither saw nor was seen by the other Awakened, who - it appears - were drawn here like moths to a flame. Only after a prolonged amount of time has he noticed his, uh... friends. Associates. And Winter.

Still, even though not everyone here was his idea of good company, the Obrimos refuses his good mood to be sullied. He's just purchased some new reading, and besides - it looks like they have a new guy in town. Shodan, in a black t-shirt and some jeans, approaches the group confidently. Two book covers are partially visible in his bag: "Homo deus" and "Evil in modern thought"

"Mr. C, Mr. W., Ms. P" That's his idea of being inconspicuous. He nods to the three mages he actually knows "Found what you were looking for?" A quick glance at the book Phoenyx holds "Oooh, probability maths. Tasty" But a bit outside Shodan's core of interest.

Then he turns to Kid, and glances towards the other three Awakened, again "Friend of any of you's? Nice to meet you"

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoenyx inclines her head to Campenella as he emerges. "Sir. It is good to see you."

She watches Kid intently. "I have been told I can be quite literal." It was hard to tell how she felt about that. It was a simple relaying of a statememt. The Arrow gestures to Campenella. "This is the head of our local academics group. A man of considerable Wisdom." She waits for the Hierarch to introduce himself. It's hard to find a cover name for Campenella.

If she was struggling with names, at least Shodan had found some way of conveying them, and provided an opportunity to make things easier. "I wish you'd just call me Alice. Using initials just sounds weird," she replies to her fellow Obrimos, giving him just a hint of a smile. "Yes - I wanted to learn more about predictions, and Silver was recommended to me given his previous successes in a readable format. What do you have?"

She nods. "We've met at a training session. He's in your department, I believe?" She asks Winter.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Personal Spells: 1/3
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

"Director", he replies to the Moros. His stoic greeting is punctuated by a nod. "I believe some introduction are in order", he says, he acknowledges Shodan, but clearly his attention is elsewhere.
    "Mr...", he seems to think for a second, "Doe, is the latest addiction to our department", then to the young lad whose name he still ignores, "John, this is Mr. Camps, he presides our company's board of directors. As for the younger gentleman. Mr. Powers is our acting CTO"

Campanella
    Allies (City Hall)
    Allies (Criminal)
    Allies (Culture)
    Allies (Finance)
    Occult Skill
    Campanella
    Campanella
    Campanella's Scenes
    Stats

Clock

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 0
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5
    Personal Spells: 3/1

[2R] Analyze Artefact (Deep Scrutiny of Artefacts, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [4R] Dark Matter (Matter Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)
    [2R] One Mind, Two Thoughts (Prolonged, 1 scene)

Tangled Threads

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor 4
    Defense 2

Vulgar +1
    Active Spells: 3/5

[4] Aura Perception (Concentration, 1 scene)

[5] Third Eye (Mind Sight, Prolonged, 1 scene)

[2R] Unseen Aegis (Armor, 1 scene)

PRE

Campanella chuckled and inclined his head.

"Yes. Mr. Camps it is. And so this fine young fellow is a new addition to the department? Very good. I'm sure we will be meeting more formally later."

He let his gaze linger on Kid for a while yet.

"I take it you are settling in? Need anything from me to help set you up?"
    Campanella|Moros|Mysterium
    Gnosis: 4
    Occult Skill: 3

K
    Kid With Knife

Kid kept grinning and flashed Shodan a wave as a greeting, feeling like he'd fallen into a game of Clue. The off-the-cuff nicknames were a little hard to follow, and he had no idea what a CTO was supposed to represent. He just straight up tells Winter this. "I have no idea what a CTO is." 'CTO' sounds like 'sitto' which makes him think of some kind of Dr. Seussified dog and that was an association chain that made no sense in context.

He erases 'Phoenyx=Phee' from his mental chalkboard and replaces it with 'Phoenyx=Alice' before he takes a more relaxed look at 'Mr. Camps'. That shorthand at least made some sense, he knew what the Hierarch went by, even is 'Mr. Camps' turned into 'Mr. Cramps' and then 'Mr. Crabs' and then 'Squidward' in his head. "Campanella like Roy Campanella? Greatest catcher the Dodgers ever had?"

"I'm good sir. If I was more clever I'd have arranged it so I had books with clever titles so we could do the whole smart guy code thing and you could Recognize me." He leans in towards Campanella and whispers, "Kid With Knife. Thyrsus. Guardian. Good to meet you, sir."

If the other guardian didn't like it, he could deal with it. 50/50 odds Winter had made a conversation private at Phoenyx's class. Phoenyx was so obrimos it left spots in his eyes.

S
    Shodan

He smiles back at Phoenyx "Sure Alice. Sorry. I've been thinking a lot since that talk at the zoo. You've... shaken my treehouse pretty good, if you know what I mean, and that doesn't happen very often. You oughta get a medal or something" Libertines could be zealous ideologues, Shodan may not be quite that, but pretty close "So I got myself a book on the nature of evil and one on broader, historical perspective of the world's progress. All thanks to you"

John Doe, well, that's pretty unimaginative - but works.

"A CTO means I got you on all things technical. You want things built, repaired, disassembled, hacked or designed, fill a form and I got you" He winks at Kid "So, you security. Which field office was your previous?"

Shodan hated all this corporate jargon, it reminded him of his hellish, pre-Awakened years. But what he was gonna do? Something less veiled was reserved for sanctums and the Circle, after all.

Presence (Focused)
    Trained Observer
    Dexterity (Lithe)
    Phoenyx
    Spells and Gear

Monthly rits (cloaked):
    Supernal Vision (Pot 6)
    2E Life Shield (Pot 5)

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), pair of daggers, tonfa, Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), motorcycle (street bike)
    Phoenyx

Nimbus: a pair of fiery scarlet wings unfurl her with an eagle's screech.
    Plot Stats

Def - 6 (4 Dex+Life/2)
    Armour - 3/2 (Life/2, Trenchcoat)
    Health: Matriarch - 1B/7
    Willpower 3/3
    Mana: 9/9
    Vulgars Cast: 0
    Personal Spells 2/3
    [6] Supernal Vision (Monthly Ritual)
    [5$] 2E Life Shield (Monthly Ritual)
    Active spells: 3/7
    [3$] Complex Transmission

Gear: Smartphone, Pistol (Beretta M92, +2 lethal), 2 spare clips, pair of daggers (one is magical focus), Reinforced Leather trenchcoat (1/0), Purse ($57, gun permit, driving license)
    Phoenyx Scenes

PRE

Phoenyx lets the conversation move around her. She helped the introductions fall into place - it didn't need more people forcing the flow.

She gives Shodan a small smile. "Philosophies are not static. We adapt them to changing circumstances and information - I am glad I helped you question your ideals. That method helps us be sure our beliefs are as fair as we can make them. I too found the discussion intriguing - I have been reading a little more about the ethical issues surrounding freedom of information to try and understand your position better. It is clear to me now that a lot more debate has been done on the issue than I would have first thought." She couldn't help it; she was a little smug she had shaken Shodan's worldview, but denying his ideas were relevant in an increasingly information-free world would be foolish. Her research had made her realize Shodan's approach, though a little narrow to her, was based in a careful ethical consideration of the issues of the Information Age. It was fascinating.
    Obrimos Adamantine Arrow, Cloaked Monthly Rits (in minisheet)

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

Eh, count on an Arrow to beat some sense into that thick Libertine skull. The Guardian exchanged a knowing look with the Hierarch, suddenly aware when the other Guardian leaned in to whisper his "secrets".
    "It's a matter of ethics, is it?", he questioned, "or it's about security? Information is never neutral, that's why dealing in absolutes, like bringing in sanctimonious words like freedom is never wise. Why share, to the benefit of whom? That's what you should question"

S
    Shodan

"Don't open your champagne yet - I never said you've converted me to your cause" He smiles broadly at Phoenyx. Do Arrows even drink, though? "It's cool to hear that I've had some positive effect on people. That's kind of new"

He rolls his eyes at Winter, though "We've been over this. I think we agreed that bringing in security as an ideal is about as hubristic as bringing in freedom. It's just something we have to deal with" The Obrimos shrugs "Sharing is caring, and if everybody has nuclear weapons, then nobody has nuclear weapons. If nothing else, if we agree that the GAFA monopoly is not good, then an alternative is worth trying before '1984' starts to look like something to aspire to"

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 14

You do not have permission to view the list of names.