Ended
Watch

A Family Affair

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    T
    Thomas Boyle

He nods at the other man's thanks. There's nothing left to say, as the Whip will now bear the full resposnsibility for what happens between him and Madcap.

About the celebration... "You heard about it? Good! I planned to tell you, but now I don't need to" He sounds moderately relieved "Sounds like there'll be a nice little mix of persons there" He says, and then quickly proceeds to Jack's next question "I... don't think so? I think we're good, 'on the same page' as it were"

"My aspirations? Did I tell you that I plan to research Golconda? I probably did tell you, back when we met at the Farm, but then again I got such a nasty case of logorrhea that you might've missed it" Self-depreciating jokes. The mark of someone truly confident in their abilities "My more immediate plans include getting a bit more comfortable in Valencia. Also, did you know there's an entire realm connecting the world's mirrors? And there are ways to utilize it? It's something I plan to look into as well" He thinks for a second "And meeting with Moretti, of course. And putting something resembling a library in here" He waves around the Temple. The answer may appear confusing and chaotic, but it is honest. Thomas is not socially inept, but has no mind for lies.

"If you mean positions... after our little Whip contest and what happened at Court, I think I'll take a break from seeking them. Don't get me wrong, if I get offered one one day, I will consider accepting, but my joints ache from jumping through hoops" He jokes again.

"How is your search for Covenant going? Or did you abandon the idea and decided to remain Unaligned? Maybe you should join the Carthians, like Mr. Kind - that would certainly lend them some class..."

Everything Thomas' said up to this point is true - he doesn not consider himself Jack's enemy, nor does he plan to become one. The Crone's words about aspirations are also truthful

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nodding back to Thomas, "You did tell me, and I remember that I enjoyed the depth you shared with me. Have you moved any closer towards achieving it?" He chuckles as he darts between the subject of Valencia and mirrors, "That sounds like an interesting theo-" He blinks, "Really?" It had quickly went from what sounded like a strange fantasy to a confident sounding eventuality for Thomas, "What are your sources on something like that?"

He chuckled with a bit of a grimace with Thomas on the hoops comment before responding to his inquiry, "Still learning bits and pieces and trying to listen for what calls to me." Not to mention figuring out what I want. "How much do you know of the Carthian's ideology? I had hoped to get a chance to sit down with Mister Finley but that didn't work out and I'm not certain a spontaneously self-proclaimed Carthian could give me the proper insight on what they stand for." He smiled at the comment of class, the first honest compliment that wasn't merely a reciprocation of another, "Didn't Harpy Simmons mention another Carthian with class?"

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

"You could say that" He answerst to Jack's question about Golconda "The other night we - me, Dirt Nap, then-Deputy James and Elettra - were investigating a murder that lead us straight to a den of ghouls, sipping on a chained draugr. I note with some pride" A feeling he doesn't even try to hide in his voice or expression "that despite all the gore and murder the Beast failed to creep up on me, like it so often does when we do something violent" A big part of that success was that the Monster was fed an offering in the form of maimed draugr, but that was his offering to give "Might seem like nothing, but for a bookworm such as yours truly it's a step forward - after all, you can learn only so much from books, and my Golconda is all about acting outside your comfort zone. It's tests like that that separate the grain from the chaff"

He smiles when Jacque stutters "That is not a theory. Actually, correction: until I see it myself, I will treat it as likely but not proven. The advantage of being a member of a minor faction in your Covenant is that you are in contact with others like you. I have an associate in Louisiana, who has yet to disappoint me - they have amassed a collection of witness statements and Kindred lore that point to a meysterious being - incidentally, almost always referred to as 'Jack' - who grants powers over the world of mirrors... for a price" As to what that price might be? No telling until after one has entered the negotiator's room.

"The Carthians are a diverse bunch - you have anarchists, Marxist, fascists, people who'd vote for Donald Trump if only the polls stayed open into the night... basically, any mortal philosophy imaginable plus a healthy amount of uniquely Kindred mixes of them" He says "They all believe in a more even distribution of political power, and as long as you're on board with that and are prepared to be on-call for the latest collectivist effort, they basically leave you be" Thomas shrugs, the Firebrands really weren't a complicated Covenant "Yes, Ashley Cohen. A member of our own clan, but notoriously elusive. I have only spoken with her once, and it didn't really go past small talk. Still, I hope she returns - seemed like a decent sort"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Taking note of Thomas' pride he smiles, "That seems like a significant step Mister Boyle, congratulations. If it is not too prying, how do you envision yourself when you are approaching the pinnacle of your Golconda?" Turning a hand palm up, "Or is that something impossible to know?"

His eyes shimmer with an insatiable curiosity, "See..." he chuckles with a wry amusement. "In many of my talks with the different covenants, that is the kind of thing that I hoped would call out to me. What mystery I could uncover in an ancient text. What stories were exaggerated to some delusion of grandeur but began with seeds of truth. If you're willing to do the right digging, you can find the truth in the fiction." He shakes his head with a smile, "If you end up paying that price I would deeply enjoy hearing the bits of truth in those stories." Worth asking, but Jack imagined that after whatever price it would cost Thomas, he probably would be reluctant to share much for free.

He shrugs, "Diversity is fine but that seems a bit more chaotic than I would probably affiliate myself with. I don't particularly have an issue with the Invictus holding all the keys, as long as they have the proper wits about them. Still, I'll keep an ear out for Miss Cohen should she surface again."

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

He smiles at Jack's question about Golconda "The short answer is: harmony. The slightly longer answer is that there's innate discord between Man and Beast. The Dragons attempt to circumvent this problem by pacifying their inner monsters, but I believe the trick is to make it so that there's no discernible difference between those two halves - not like a draugr that has devoured Man, or a paragon of Humanity that's killed the Beast, but something other. A whole that is greater than the sum of its parts"

Thomas shakes his head in dismissal "No" He says firmly "Don't get me wrong, it's not a power play, just that Tribulation brings Enlightenment. Sharing knowledge I'll likely literally pay for in blood for free would be disrespectful to you, like you couldn't handle the necessary cost. You actually coming to us to learn about the Circle's philosophy was more than enough for the overview we gave you, but this is something else" says the Ventrue "It'll take me some time to fully work it out, if you are still interested by then we can work something out"

All the keys? "The First Estate certainly holds all the keys to the banks' vaults. Not something that interests me, so I'll leave them be so long as they return the same courtesy" It's not that he dislikes the Conspiracy of Silence. It's that he wants to save all the best one-liners for later, when the world will be ending, and the Inner Circle will find their gold isn't worth anything.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nodding in understanding, "That does make sense. Most other covenants are struggling to suppress one side or the other. Having such a relationship with your Beast so that it no longer springs at any opportunity to break the cage and work with you is certainly an admirable goal." That is strength.

He nods, "Of course, Mister Boyle. It would be rude of me to ask to disclose what I'm certain are deep seeded secrets, but should there be any room for further discussion about discoveries such as those, I would enjoy having them with you. If nothing else, to help work through my deeply rooted scientific viewpoints to better embrace understanding the true extent that rituals can break mortal rules."

He chuckles, "So, part of what I look at with the covenants is how outsiders view each. Just as many would see the Crone as a cult of blood orgies, witches and sacrifices- there are stereotypes to most of the others I'm sure. That being said, do you view the Invictus' strength as just their depth of their pockets?"

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

"I'm glad you see it that way. Not many do" Thomas certainly doesn't need any outside praise to continue his studies... but it doesn't hurt to be recognized, either.

He nods to Jacque's... extended answer to Thomas' refusal. There's always room. In fact, how much will be up to the Whip himself. But first, the Crone must actually crack the code.

"They have nice cars, too" He shrugs "The First Estate certainly couldn't get where they are with money alone. They have the strength of will to maintain a way of doing things and the persuasive authority to convince everyone that their way is not only correct, it is natural, and so anyone who doesn't play along is a fool" Thomas shrugs again "This is, of course, a lie. The Conspiracy of Silence is a part of the world, and like everything else in the world it was born, it grew and evolved... and it will die. Just like the Camarilla before them" Again, the Acolyte doesn't dislike the Invictus. But for a Covenant placing so much weight on history and tradition, they sure don't understand much of it.

Should we wrap here? It's abrupt, I know, but we're near a month mark and seem to wind down, plus the Sheriff's meeting is ending sooner than I expected!

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

He shrugs, nodding. He could see the points... and the stereotypes, "History does show a consistent ebb and flow with such empires. I can't blame them for trying to maintain theirs for as long as they have. Like many mortals, Kindred too can be blinded by the familiar and I think that is a significant ally of the First Estate. The status quo is not something many seek to change, especially with a reputation like theirs."

He presses his hands against the table before lifting himself from his seat, "Well, I should be going. Thank you again for inviting me to your temple. I hope you have a good weekend if we don't manage to bump into each other before the first." He steps a short ways from the table before extending his hand, offering to shake Thomas'. "If it seems appropriate to do so, feel free to let me know how your talk goes with the Sheriff. I would love to find out her feelings towards the Crone aren't quite a prejudice against all Acolytes." He smiled.

Sure! Good with exiting with your response.

Blood Hunt:

T
    Thomas Boyle

For once, Thomas stays completely silent. It's natural for Jacque to want to be privy to what is discussed between him and the Sheriff... just like it is natural for Thomas to not make any hint of a promise. Something told him Moretti didn't just want to discuss things pleasant and inconsequential.

A hand is shaken and with that the two Lords part ways.

For now.

Closing! Thank you for the Scene!

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.