Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Food for Thought

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    S
    Shodan

With most of the Masonic Temple still under renovations, there is not much space to get comfortable - but the bare necessities, namely bunks and a functioning kitchen, are here. For now it will have to suffice - in fact, Shodan doesn't mind as he runs out and about, working the oven and other cooking utensils and ingredients.

Finally, it is done. A smell of freshly-baked lasagna permeates the air in the building. Plates, cutlery and drinks (one bottle each of white and red wine plus some soft drinks for those not fond of alcohol) stand at the ready, and the table is set. He has plans for this little group, yo, and there's no better place to discuss them than over this delicious piece of Italian cuisine.

The rooms and walls echo as the Prime Mover yells at the top of his lungs.

"DINNER IS READY!"

This scene is intended for general socializing and plan-making for Think Tank, Sacramento's freshest cabal. Please, join at your leisure JonReeves Kasterborous Hiver Abacus Kelreth Langdon

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-03-26 06:51:15 Shodan rolls 8 to Cook dinner (10 Again) 6, 8, 9, 6, 4, 4, 5, 4 2 successes

Langdon
    Doctorate
    Langdon

PRE

What he lacks for with actual training in architecture and engineering Langdon makes up for by understanding the stuff those fields work on. His pen continues to scratch notes into his notebook as he walks into the kitchenish room.

"That smells wonderful." A compliment that is accented as Langdon sees the wine. "O even better. Can I pour you a glass?" He asks Shodan as Langdon moves to grab some glasses. Notebook left on the table.

"So I've been thinking, how fast do you think we can rework the building? I can accelerate a lot of repairs and some other work."

K
    Kasterborous

Kasterborous enters the building sporting a pair of thick sunglasses.

"Oooo. I see you redecorated." He looks around and picks up a plate and looks under it. "I don't like it. What's for dinner?"

S
    Shodan

Shodan considers yelling again to summon the one mage lacking at the table, but ultimately decides against it. Although he has duties, he also has some pride, and the Acanthus will certainly find his way here in time. Or not. Time will tell.

"Sure" He answers to the Neokoros as he moves towards the glasses "Red, if you can" Shodan says, slicing the food into some more digestible chunks. One finds its way onto his plate as Kaster... voices his opinion (?) on the dish (??) while looking under a plate (???) "Follow your nose, man. I'll give you a hint, cheese and tomatoes are a good start" Smiling, getting used to the Doorwarden's sense of humor (????)

"As for works... I mean, nobody will hold it against you if you do more, but there's no pressure. I put some things in motion*, so there'll be more space to use soon. I'll be moving my tools in, but at this rate we will have plenty to fill it with whatever" The Libertine rises from his seat and pulls a sheet of paper from one of the cupboards, then places it on the table "So, remember how I told you back then that we still need a sigil? I toyed with things a little and this is what I came up with" He taps the symbol printed out "Thoughts?"

However, this is not the main reason he so wanted to meet them today. Which is why, after hearing whatever input the other mages wish to give, Shodan continues:

"But yeah, I wanted us to get to know each other better. You know, so that we aren't just a bunch of strangers. And I figure our fields of study are a good start? I already told you some things about mine, but Langdon - you mentioned comparative religion and symbols? That sounds pretty cool and also completely alien - what's it about?" He munches on the lasagna "And Kaster, theoretical physics? Do you have any more specific area of interest?" Please gods above, let it be time travel. It was cool the last time they tried it.

*OOC

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

How much of his meddling was by manipulating the determined outcome and how much of it was by simply moving a finger, lifting the lid, tapping the glass? If Abacus dropped a grain of sand and moved to catch it, would his magick galvanize his reflexes or simply make it a certainty that he would catch it?

That's what brought him to the kitchen, Tchaikovsky's cannons banging in his ears. The headphones were old; definitely from the nineties. They worked fine for him. The kitchen...could he even call it that, surely had to have salt at the very least.

He smelled food. Tomatoes. Some kind of cheese. Basil? Did someone order Italian...no, the room felt relatively warmer than the last time he came in here looking for a broom. He was opening cupboards and cabinets and coming up empty.

"Where's the salt?"
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

6. Likes liked this post

Langdon
    Doctorate
    Langdon

PRE

Langdon chuckles as he finds a red for Shodan and himself. "Don't like it already? There's so many open walls to work on." Wall carvings, right should talk with Shodan about that first.

"Sounds good, I have some things I can move in still as well."
    A glass of red is handed to Shodan before Langdon returns for his own. Then takes a moment to look over the symbol. "I love it." A sip of the wine and Langdon finds a seat.

"Ahh, so you know how all the major religions in the world have their own symbols? How people use them even in questionable places? Those are the overt ones, there are other symbols that are common across the religions. Or at least I thought they were. So that's what I decided to study in graduate school. Turns out I was only kind of right with my idea. It was starting to look like the ideas had moved with travelers, our ancestors with the drive to get into boats and go across the edge of the world." A longer sip this time. "Turns out when you Awaken it kind of messes up what you thought you knew. Funny right? That's when I learned that some mages think the Akashic field is real. Part of the under lying vein of Pandemonium or some blurring of the supernal. Or something. I didn't awaken to that Path though so my studies are a bit blurred."

K
    Kasterborous

Kaster places the plate back down and see's the food waiting. He pokes it with a knife. "Tomatoes you say? Never trust a fruit disguised as a vegetable. Deceptive lot tomatoes. But I see you've dispatched them nicely along with the lactose rich bovine nectar. And you even made them a comfortable bed of cooked dough. You are far too kind toward food. There is a revolution in the work among the peanuts you know. They have already manipulated the genetic codes of many so that their mere presence is deadly."

Kaster takes a bite. "Hmmmm, not bad. Needs custard."

Seeing the sigil. "Ooooh, isn't that quaint. A giant muscle inside a clam wearing a cape. J.K. Rowling beware. Deathly Hallows we are not but Brainy Fellows we are."

On the subject of specialties. "Affirmative. The very fabric of the multiverse fascinates me. Alternate realities, multi-dimensions, quantum fields, temporal folds, and transvergences. Been fascinated ever since seeing that Black Hare film. Danny Marko, I believe it was."

Listening to Langdon's comments on the space......
    "I think I can make it smaller on the outside. Maybe, not sure, depends on if we chose to put a pool on the ninth floor."

S
    Shodan

Shodan looks up from the table to see the last of their happy quartet "Yo, nice to see you. I think there's some left in a cupboard to your right" There is indeed, although they are running on fumes when it comes to spices "We were just about to partake in this thing here, made by yours truly" He taps the baking tray "Anyway, we also wanted to finalize some things over food - like this proposed sigil here" He indicates the printed sheet with a slight movement of head "and it'd be super cool if you told us a bit more about what do you study exactly, what makes it interesting for you..." Now, if all of it will be heeded they will move their mouths more to produce words than to munch on the food.

But is it a bad thing?

"The Akashic field? So you mean like... the 'place' holding everything that is, was or will be? Like a quantum vacuum? I dunno, maybe - I mean, the Astral Space supposedly stores idealized abstractions. But anyway, I don't get it - what do you mean by 'move with travelers'? Because that sounds like unification through conquest" Sure, there is overlap between vodou and Catholicism, but only because the Catholics conquered the Carribeans.

He looks at Kasterborous in disbelief "Wait, really? Damn, I knew they were up to no good, but didn't realize they are so far ahead. Then I say we eat them all before they get the drop on us" He laughs softly "Wait. How did you know that?"

He smirks at the Time Mage's comment on the sigil "Yeah, something like that"

"Well, we are a walking, talking proof that other worlds do exist. What we can't seem to do is access them freely or even be sure if alternate realities are really alternate - or if it is just our reality twisted to seem different from what we expect" He pauses to eat some food and drink some wine "Oh, and i think you mean 'Donnie Darko'. That movie was really something else"

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-03-30 17:03:31 Shodan rolls 5 to Akashic field? (Int + Occult) (10 Again) 10, 8, 1, 3, 6, 2 2 successes

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

"Every meanwhile and never-were. At least, that's how they like to spin it. It's the constant, enduring memory of the universe. That includes parallel realities."

He suddenly remembered just how many times he had to read and re-shelve half of the Metaphysics section of his Athenaeum. So many papercuts and for what, third-eye widening esoteric scribblings? Yes. Absolutely.

He quickly moved to the adjacent cupboard and took the tin of kosher salt, placing it on the table as he put his plate together. He took a gander at the sigil and found himself smirking between bites.

"Hey, you took my advice. Squared Circle. Classic."

When was the last time he had lasagna?

"So, my schtick. I use probability models to predict market trends and Fate out of an insatiable need to be correct. Time helps when you want a system that can keep up by the second."

"I'm a math nerd with a CPA. That's about it."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

Langdon
    Doctorate
    Langdon

PRE

Maybe half of what Kaster says makes sense to Langdon, though he's not exactly trying to follow it dead on. Until the crazed Masti..Acanthus goes into his specialties. "My more recent interests lay in that area as well Kasterborous, Though moreso with cracks in the pattern of reality than other realities." Except for that Glade Langdon had passed through..and that other planet.

"O! yes, The Astral." The Moros nods to Shodan. "Haven't been there so far so I'm not entirely sure what its like. And yes conquest, explorers, lost souls. More-so the first for many cultures unfortunately." Europe really really really got around. Langdon takes a sip of wine and looks at Abacus. "Did you Awaken during your time preparing for your CPA or after? I awoke during graduate school so it influenced my mundane studies heavily."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.