Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Expectations of Privacy at court

Twist Scenes

Hi everyone,

It seemed like there needed to be a general refresher/reminder on the rules surrounding court. Per the Elysium, Laws and Info thread :

QuoteQuote:
    Can characters have private conversations? Can they go into private rooms?

No. Court is a public stage. If you want a private conversation, it should be in a private Scene. Everyone is watching, and eavesdropping. It's what makes Court... Court. If you want to try to whisper, or some other means of keeping something on the down low, then it should be narrated and accompanied by a Subterfuge roll (which can and probably will be Contested by others).

This is only for surreptitious information transfer. You don't have to roll to lie, unless another person rolls to see if you're lying. Because Vampire. It's assumed everyone is lying all the time
    This is done to keep Court the social engagement that it is without people pairing off two by two into offices and meeting rooms expecting immunity from being overheard. This includes all court and domain officials. The best and most neutral way to enforce this with what was narrated vs the rules in the 1902 court is to treat all conversations that have occurred exactly with expectations in the rules as written regardless of if they indicated going somewhere private, going to a private office or a meeting room etc. Should you wish to keep something you say on the down low in the future you will need to attempt a subterfuge roll no matter where you go during court.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

2. Likes Psychangel, shinjidai liked this post
    C
    Cross

All new players should read that thread in its entirety. It even explains what sorts of free information is floating around Elysium that your PCs can know about. Check it out!

S
    Strong King

Since this was just linked too, is this an IC law/decree of the Prince? Or is this one of those things that is wink wink nudge nudge we all know better than to expect privacy? I fully understand the need for invisible walls to keep the flow and feel so that isn't a bad thing!

I might be wrong. I've seen other PCs have an allowance to make Subterfuge rolls with the context that you can attempt to beat their score to eavesdrop. ICly characters have passed notes with the understanding Vampires have sensitive hearing. Or they go into a private office that Vampires can hear unless special measures are taken (which are reflected in Subterfuge rolls).

Closed Thread