Ended
Watch

Fate's Hand

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    L
    Lina Moretti

This thread is connected to What the Water Gave Me.

Half an hour. That was all the Grand Wyrm had given to change, to shower, to do whatever had to be done after being chlorinated. She'd made sure the choice of a shower was available to Garrett, if he was so inclined. After all, he had not yet taken up residence.

The common sitting room within the Ordo Dracul Chapterhouse was finely decorated, lovely as the rest of the House as Slave Blackbird deployed her artistic tastes and financial power to the place. For privacy, the Grand Wyrm had everyone separated into different parts of the room, where one could not easily determine the results from one another. Each had been provided a deck of tarot cards.

"The Course of Light and Darkness is straightforward. You will be given virtuous choices. You will be given dark choices. There are only two answers per question, and you must pick what means most to you. A great virtue. A cardinal sin. What calls to the best of you. What calls to your worst. Your choices will determine your Fate."

She looked from each to each.

"When I ask a question, place a card on the answer that is most appropriate for you. Do you have any questions?"

Tracking wise, how this works is you'll be asked to choose between two Virtues in the Course of Light and two Vices in the Course of Darkness. Track your virtues/vices; whatever you choose the most of in each will form your Fate.

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

(Blush of life, consuming alcohol)Vitae 2 Spent
    PRE

Garrett drags his fingers along his jaw as he stares at himself in the fogged bathroom mirror. The numbness from the alcohol sends static along his flesh, but he refuses to eject it just yet.

What he sees is fear.

Prosper knew what his card was- is. But the idea of changing again without his active consent dug claws around his heat like the grip of the Beast itself. Topor; the Fog; it was not something actively spoken about except whispers among the students of Pain. Everyone looked at some point. The Savage's frenzied research had not wielded any viable results. Running a comb to correct his hair, he grimaced.

He had to know.

Dressing a second time without a change available for the impromptu ceremony, Garrett leans to look around the hallway corners to locate the Grand Wyrm. In a strange Haven, he could not reapply the thin layer of foundation that was part of his waking routine; the dark circles under his eyes were very obvious. In the absence of the professional cut and nothing to school his haggard complexion, he felt exposed.

Public Identity: Lisbeth "Beth" Graham
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

The chance to pamper herself was met with a certain quite glee from Blackbird.

As much as she enjoyed the company of others, periods of solitude were welcome, and the chance to bathe and ready herself for a trial. If she didn't feel the need to expedite the process, she would have opted for a soak in her jacuzzi following the shower, but alas there was no time.

Remembering the nervousness she had arose in Garrett, the little bird felt the need to opt for more concealing clothing. Thus, she opted for a Gucci track suit, complete with a hood. Gliding downstairs, the neonate Slave made her way to the sitting room, her eyes briefly admiring her handiwork before she was directed to another part of the room by her mentor.

Thinking on the trial before her, Blackbird was fairly certain she understood. Thus, she offered a small smile and simply shook her head as Lina asked if any needed clarification.

A
    Atticus James

Atticus washes off, gets dressed and heads down. He wears a simple pair of black sweats and his standard white tee shirt. Various bracelets and necklaces adorn his arms. Atticus' friends are used to this look from his. It was his, I'm at home and relaxing look. His hair was a mess, he probably just ran a hand through it after he got out of the shower.

"Aight, sounds like a good time." Atticus says as he flops onto a couch. He wanted to make a comment about how nice BB looked in her new suit, but business time is business time.

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods, "Yes, Grand Wyrm." he says. "Got it." he stands ready, watching.

L
    Lina Moretti

Because we have multiple PCs involved and the most interesting part of this will be what comes from the Fate Cards and the discussion of their meaning, I'm going to do two rounds of posting - one for the Course of Light and one for the Course of Darkness. Feel free to narrate your thoughts, and keep track of your choices. You'll need to know which Virtue you chose the most of.

"Then let us glimpse your futures in this Covenant, shall we? Look deep within yourselves, and choose the option that is the most right to you. Only the truth will teach here, so trust to it and answer accordingly."

And so it began. The decks before them laid out, Lina began to ask the questions. Each was asked but once. Here and there, she would look from each to each, watching for their considerations, for their challenges, and taking mental stock of the choices made.

'Your leader commands you to torture a captured prisoner so as to intimidate his comrades. If you obey, put this card on Faith. If you refuse, put this card on Charity.'

'You have pursued a traitor against your king for many years. At long last, you bring her to bay, only to have everyone around her swear solemn oaths and offer persuasive evidence that she has amended her ways and now leads a righteous and loyal existence. If you punish her for the crimes she committed long ago, put this card on Fortitude. If you give her a second chance, put it on Hope.'

'You have evidence that a powerful lord has committed treason. He is ensconced in a fortress, and removing him will be difficult and dangerous. But it will cost him time, men and money if you make your attack, so he offers riches, titles and territory to your master if you will overlook his previous betrayal. If you attack, place this card on Justice. If you accept his terms, place it on Prudence.'

'You know a woman has been falsely imprisoned. If you implore the judges to reconsider her sentence — a process that may take months — place this card on Temperance. If you offer to take her place as a surety, place this card on Charity.'

'You have sworn total loyalty to your master. He orders you to rob a poor man for the benefit of a rich one. If you remain true to your oath, put the card on Fortitude. If you refuse, place it on Justice.'

'You are sent to parley with a violent and intolerant tribe. Their customs call for the imbibing of strong drink. You have chosen to abstain from such liquors. If you drink in order to make peace with the tribe, place this card on Prudence. If you decline, place this card on Temperance.'

'After a lengthy pursuit, you catch up with your enemy, only to find that a fall from a horse has left both his legs and one of his arms useless forever. If you avenge yourself, place this card on Fortitude. If you decide your enemy is no longer a threat and let him live, place this card on Charity.'

'You have confessed a sin, and your priest imposes a penance upon you that seems disproportionately harsh. If you meekly perform the penance, place this card on Faith. If you avoid the penance and pray for forgiveness and understanding despite it, place the card on Hope.'

'It is war, and you are on the defensive. You see a much larger force fast approaching. If you retreat by stealth, place this card on Prudence. If you entrench yourself and prepare to fight, place this card on Fortitude.'

'A debtor has defaulted on your loan. He promises that if you but wait six months until his caravan returns, he will pay you triple what he owes. If you take possession of his home — the loan’s collateral— place this card on Justice. If you grant him the extension, place this card on Hope.'

'Your cousin is in danger of being sentenced to debtor’s prison. If you lend her money, with little hope of repayment, place this card on Charity. If you let her suffer the sentence, place this card on Prudence.'

'You are dedicated to a noble cause, but your organization is perilously low on funds. If you think stealing to uphold the larger cause is justified, put the card on Faith. If you would rather see the cause fail than dishonor it with theft, put the card on Justice.

'A fellow lord despises you, but you are enamored with his daughter. He is a master swordsman. If you risk his wrath to woo his beautiful daughter, place this card on Fortitude. If you don't, place this card on Temperance.'

'Your feckless retainer, though unquestionably loyal, has failed you again. If you give him another chance, place this card on Hope. If you dismiss him for incompetence, place this card on Prudence.'

'You have a store of seeds, and your family is starving. If you grind up the seeds to make meal for your hungry children, place this card on Charity. If you plant the seeds in hope of a greater yield in the spring, place the card on Hope.'

'Your innocent friend is falsely accused of a dastardly crime. If you perjure yourself to free him, place this card on Faith. If you remain silent but honest, place this card on Fortitude.'

'A beautiful woman, whom you've loved from afar offers to abandon her second husband and elope with you. If you accept, place this card on Hope. If you refuse, place this card on Temperance.'

'You are judging a man accused of stealing a horse and running it until its leg had broken. It emerges that he stole the horse to get his ill child to a doctor, lest she perish. He cannot pay the horse's value. If you lighten his sentence, place this card on Charity. If you obey the letter of the law, place this card on Justice.'

'After a hard war, you are ordered to break bread and make amends with old foes. If you remain wary of your enemies and scrutinize them for any sign of treachery, place this card on Prudence. If you make a concerted effort to obey your orders and forgive, place this card on Faith.'

'You have been rewarded for your courage with lavish and extravagant gifts bestowed by a figurehead of the court. If you keep the gifts, place this card on Justice. If you give them away to people who will use them more wisely, place this card on Temperance.'

'You are given the honor of hosting a feast on a beloved holiday. If you splurge and spend to your very limit, place this card on Faith. If you hold back and spend the barest minimum, place this card on Temperance."

As she asked the questions, memories came to her from the last time she'd done this. A good friend, and a new recruit, much like these but quieter, now gone into the night never more than a Slave. So far they had come, from those nights of two Dragons struggling to put together a Chapterhouse of their own. Now they were five, strong and secure in the Domain, ready to give themselves to the Great Work.

God, when Aaron got back, he'd be so proud.

Sorry for the delay! Krakenbox Steven Ruach Stray

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap

OCC
    PRE

1 Dirt Nap listens to the question and then places the card on Faith without hesitation.

2Dirt Nap pauses, motionlessly pondering. Then he places the card on Hope.

3Dirt Nap considers a moment, and puts the card on Prudence.

4Dirt Nap places the card on Charity.

5Dirt Nap places the card on Fortitude.

6Dirt Nap places the card on Prudence.

7Dirt Nap places the card on Charity.

8Dirt Nap places the card on Faith.

9Dirt Nap places the card on Fortitude.

10Dirt Nap places the card on Justice.

11Dirt Nap pauses, and then places the card on Charity.

12Dirt nap places the card on Justice.

13Dirt Nap places his card on Temperance.

14Dirt Nap places his card on Prudence.

15Dirt Nap places his card on charity.

16Dirt Nap places his card on Fortitude.

17Dirt Nap places his card on Temperance.

18Dirt Nap places his card on Justice.

19Dirt Nap places his card on Faith.

20Dirt Nap places his card on Justice.

21Dirt Nap places his card on Faith.

Public Identity: Lisbeth "Beth" Graham
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird looks to the cards, keeping an ear trained on the words of her mentor. She considers the questions offered, but only briefly each time. Longer periods of introspection could create an image that was not akin to her true self, as it could be twisted by insecurity or the percieved expectations of her betters. A false image could be counter-intuitive to her goals. If she could not be honest with herself, what hope would she have of transcendence?

1. Charity. Torture would harm us both, it is not a worthy endeavor.
    2. Fortitude. Repentant or no, some acts demand to be addressed.
    3. Justice. He could eventually betray me if he isn't stopped.
    4. Temperance. Better she be in the cell than me and I am confident in my ability to negotiate.
    5. Justice. I'd rather not risk making an enemy to benefit someone of less influence.
    6. Prudence. Ends justify the means.
    7. Charity. He is already broken. Vengeance seems petty at that stage, leave him so that he may begin to rebuild his life.
    8. Faith. Better to serve the penance of the priest to ensure his goodwill to my character later.
    9. Prudence. Retreat. Strategize. Rally.
    10. Hope. He will remember my mercy later.
    11. Charity. Bonds must be maintained.
    12. Justice. If I believe in the cause, surely I can operate independently to avoid such actions.
    13. Fortitude. There are many means of shielding oneself from violence.
    14. Prudence. Loyalty without ability is useless.
    15. Charity. Their needs must be met now, not in the spring.
    16. Faith. Deception can be necessary for the greater good.
    17. Hope. I will cease the chance to take what I desire.
    18. Charity. He deserves leniency for such selflessness.
    19. Prudence. Vipers are at their deadliest when you don't see them about to strike.
    20. Justice. Symbolism is important. The effect is lost if others use what they have not earned.
    21. Temperance. Their temporary boons should not outweigh my capability to retain comfort.

Looking to the cards, it seems Blackbird's greatest Virtue is Charity, though it is followed closely by Prudence and Justice.

9. Likes Ruach, Krakenbox liked this post

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

1. Garrett's face twitches, before placing the card on Faith. They're your enemy for a reason.
    2. His expression continues to darken, Fortitude. Some acts can never be forgiven.
    3. Justice. Weak masters mean weak loyalty.
    4. Charity. False justice must be protested.
    5. Fortitude. Oaths mean nothing if you abandon them.
    6. This question takes a while, Garrett tilts his head before sliding the card to Prudence. Abstaining for the sake of ego never got anyone anywhere.
    7. Charity. Living in penance is a better vengeance than a quick death. No benefit to myself.
    8. Hope. Always question your mentors if you know they're wrong. Blind faith does not lead to evolution.
    9. Prudence. That's just shitty tactics.
    10. Justice. It's business.
    11. Charity. There's different forms of investment.
    12. Justice. A weak foundation is nothing to build on.
    13. With a smirk, he slides the card to Fortitude. It's never worth it if it's easy.
    14. Prudence. Mediocrity cannot be encouraged.
    15. Charity. Only gamble on the future if you know how the pieces move.
    16. This one was more nuanced. As he mulls it over, he chooses the more likely option with his behaviour, Faith. When do I ever shut up?
    17. Hope. What's fun without risks?
    18. Charity. You adapt with new knowledge.
    19. Prudence. They were your enemies for a reason.
    20. Justice. Hell yeah.
    21. Faith. Never hold back on celebration.

Prosper sits back and places his chin in his hand, covering the intense look of panic that was building as he started tallying the results. Though his core of Charity remained the same, significant shifts had taken place.

Scheiße.

11. Likes Stray, Ruach liked this post
    A
    Atticus James

1. Charity. Physical torture is for the weak.
    2. Hope. Everyone has the chance for redemption... well, almost everyone.
    3. Justice. Powerful and wealthy, with that much resources treason should not have been necessary.
    4. Charity. If they are going to imprison someone unjustly, better me then them.
    5. Justice. Loyalty only goes so far, especially when a rich man is abusing a poor man.
    6. Prudence. The needs of the many.
    7. Charity. Damn vague question, why was he my enemy.
    8. Fortitude. If I were religious like that, I'd take it like a champ.
    9. Fortitude. Couldn't be stealthy if I tried.
    10. Hope. I ain't taking his house.
    11. Charity. It's just money
    12. Justice. Not gonna rob from Peter to pay Paul.
    13. Fortitude. Bring it.
    14. Prudence. Only so many chances.
    15. Charity. Not a long term fix, but gotta get us through the day.
    16. Faith. If I know he didn't do it, and he is a true friend, I'd do whatever necessary.
    17. Temperance. Second husband... Really? Naw, I'm good.
    18. Charity. I'd probably let him off light and pay for the horse myself.
    19. Prudence. Trust but verify.
    20. Temperance. I don't need stuff, I'm good.
    21. Temperance. Not going to go all in because of some party.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 13

You do not have permission to view the list of names.