DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Striking Looks 2 "Ethereal"
    Retainer
    (Angus (ensorcelled mortal))
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

Very much like her Mask. However, her skin takes on a more reflective, rubbery texture and she appears... thinner... with limbs that are slightly too long and thin for her general proportions. There is also faint traces of webbing between her fingers and toes.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The seasons turn and winter is coming. Heat is followed by rain and wind and damp airs.

Ingrid's instruction was clear: come to the Tavern; she would have her man waiting for Abraham Norton and the interview would go from there.

The Tavern was easy enough to find. Locate the little wishing-well ornament and clamber down through the Hedge Gate at its bottom. Take a deep breath as one's sense of gravity and place lurch and twist. And step out into the pleasant Tavern with its slightly curved walls and beautifully austere wooden panelling. Perfume and alcohol permeate the air. A fire crackles on a hearth. A gust of wind lightly scratches at the rounded windows.

A bearded hipster fellow is waiting, using his time to check through the bottles and glasses behind the bar. This man is professionally courteous and completely at ease with Abraham Norton 's Fairest seeming. If required, he'll offer a little small talk before he leads the Emerald Courtier out through the Tavern's other Door into the Hedge (this is Angus we are talking about...)

...And out into a rough glade, hemmed in by a thick wall of trees and topiary. The illusion of the Tavern Hollow persisted here: the Spring Hollow continued to appear as a dear little fairy tavern, its sloping roof thick with vegetation, chimney puffing gently into what passed as the Hedge's sky.
    Three paths exited the glade, unless the Lost wished to carve their own through the ranks of scraggy fern and close packed trees. Three paths, of which two might easily have been the two halves a much larger byway, all rutted and pooled with mud and standing water.

The narrowest path wriggled and writhed away to their left as it bounded over boulders and the stumps of trees. Left it went, and down, sinking behind a stand of palm-like growths and cloaked by a slow moving miasma of damp air.

The other path (or two) only glanced the glade but such was its muddy size that it appeared, on first glance, that the glade was a stopping point on a larger trod. A careful reconnoitre of the ground would quickly disabuse Abraham of that notion. The path (for path it was, not big enough yet or indeed stable enough to be a Trod) disappeared before and behind the Lost. In either direction, the rutted path curved gently away until it was lost in the shivering foliage of the Hedge.
    Ingrid is having a picnic.

She is seated on a large blanket (red and white squares seem to gleam among the rampant vegetation). To one side is a big wicker hamper that she has already opened, and the little Darkling is laying out plates and dishes. There is wine, lemonade, ginger beer, a quality ham, sausages, sandwiches, spreads and dips. Ingrid has certainly gone over the top for a meal for two.

Ingrid looks up and smiles coyly, her mantle shivering in recognition and sending out an intoxicating plum aroma.

Over to you Woland Abraham Norton
    Darkling: Palewraith |Spring Mantle 3 (Heady scent of plums)
    WYRD 3| Health: 7| Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7| Striking Looks 2: "Ethereal"

2. Likes Vincent liked this post
    A
    Abraham Norton

It was quite a journey to get in front of the Vernal Queen. Narrow subteranean passages, strange creatures like this bearded bartender (who was nonetheless kind enough to exchange pleasantries and give Abraham directions) and finally the Hedge vegetation. Only fitting, considering this wasn't an ordinary meet'n'greet with a person of no station. This is the day Abraham's virtues are to be, no doubt, judged and his usefulness to the Freehold questioned.

It was Abe's firm resolution that the answer to this question is "Hell yes!"

And so he stood, looking at the ethereal form of his Sovereign. For this occasion, he donned a long, dark green coat with a baldric to suspend a sheathed sword. The brass buttons shimmered delicately in the daylight. The feast before him was truly regal, and Abraham wondered if this is how all guests are welcomed in Sacramento. Ingrid's coy smile is a stark contrast to all this wealth.

"Your Majesty" he says with a deep bow "My name is Abraham Norton, knight, storyteller and a humble Courtier of Spring" The tone was formal, but warm "But I think you know that already" There's a smile "I would like to offer my services to you and to this dominion"

He doesn't sit until she permits him.

The plums in the air bestow a pleasant dizziness.

Retainer
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

Very much like her Mask. However, her skin takes on a more reflective, rubbery texture and she appears... thinner... with limbs that are slightly too long and thin for her general proportions. There is also faint traces of webbing between her fingers and toes.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Hello..."

Ingrid begins, then coughs slightly.

"Ingrid. Vernal Sovereign and Director of the Freehold. Please sit and join me, sir knight. We can speak of things."

The Darkling resisted the urge to pat the blanket and ultimately failed. In an attempt to cover this action, she turned swiftly to the drinks.

"What would you like?"

She poured, let a silence grow in case the stranger wished to fill it of his own accord. Then: -

"Knight and storyteller? Hmmm. There is definitely a place for that in this Freehold. Are these the services you offer or is there something else tucked up your sleeve?"

She was smiling shyly now. Then curiosity overwhelmed her.

"A knight and a storyteller. Are you Entitled, sir knight?"

A
    Abraham Norton

Relaxed by the Queen's easygoing attitude, Abraham sits where the blanket was patted, chuckling under his breath. It seemed this audience will be not at all what he expected. The baldric and the sword now rest next to him.

"Please, just Abraham. Or Abe for short" He responds to Ingrid addressing him as "sir knight" "I understand this is not a formal audience, then there's no need for excess formality" Unless you are the Seasonal Monarch and... this other thing she mentioned.

"Just lemonade" The Fairest says, pouring himself a glass moments later. This was the Hedge, after all, and no matter how innocuous it looked, it hid many dangers, from beasts to hobgoblins to the Gentry. Better not to dull one's senses with alcohol. He listens intently, sipping the refreshing liquid.

"Yes, I am skilled in swords and words, and I offer you both. When there's war, I can fend off the invaders on both sides of the Hedge gates. When there's peace I can weave tales and poems of Wrath, Fear, Sorrow... and yes, Desire. I am no stranger to the magic of my kin and Spring favors me with gifts of her own" It was not an exhaustive list, but it came close, and Abraham hoped it will be enough to intrigue the Vernal Sovereign.

He listened further.

"Entitled? No, I am not. I am not a member of any order, just someone who tries to bring hope wherever he is" He allowed some silence between them and appeared deep in thought. Finally, he decided to ask "You said you are a... Director of this Freehold. What does it mean?"

Retainer
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

+1
    SL
    PRE

A delicate breeze was wafting an aroma of plum about them. Two mantles at play. A fruity essence of flowers only served to undergird her own plum effusions. Ingrid poured lemonade for them both.

"As you wish, Abe," she replied smoothly.

"Not Entitled, you say? Well... Its not like we don't need storytellers and swordsmen both. Things are fine and quiet right now. But looks can be very deceptive. Especially around here. This here is a new young Freehold. I mean, it's built on the back of what went before but that was swept away in an epic confrontation with one of the... ah... gentle folk. We really lost the Hedge after all that. And the neighbouring Freehold is, well, in trouble. And we're not sure how that's going to affect us yet."

After suitably whetting the Emerald Courtiers desire for more, Ingrid changed the subject.

"I'm Director of this Freehold. Like I said, this Freehold succeeds where another ... um ... died. There was a fear we would not have enough to represent the full Seasonal Courts and in order to mitigate against that some overarching positions were created: Director, Notary, Groundskeeper. Director's an overall manager - if we have no Court for a Season, I step in to enact its rites where necessary. I also look out for the Freehold as a whole, since the Courts have their own agenda's. Theres a Notary to keep track of Oaths and Pledges. And there would be a Groundskeeper to maintain security, but thats currently empty and no ones put up their hand for it. Seems a bit of a waste unless we find ourselves in a real emergency."

And finally, there are desires of her own.

"You said you had been favoured by the gifts of Spring?"

A
    Abraham Norton

There's a visible glow in Abraham's eyes as the words "epic" and "confrontation" are used in the same sentence. And so close to one another, too!

"Swept away? What do you mean? Can this creature return to harass us further?" At first, he didn't even notice the word "us". It will dawn on him in a few moments "And what do you mean you lost the Hedge? Are there dangerous beasts lurking around? Deadly magic?" That is, more than the usual amount of the things that are typically present in the Thorns.

If the Vernal Queen is purposefully trying to stoke his curiosity, then - well done! A flawless performance!

"Our neighbors are in trouble? Where? We must help them!" There's some practicality to that sentiment, what with the possibility of this unnamed danger destroying them one by one, but for the most part this is typical Abraham: a mix of good intentions and rushing into action.

It fills Abraham with a certain pride that the leader of his Season was - elected? accepted? - as the overseer of the entire Freehold even outside of her time of year, but what Ingrid says provokes even more questions.

"Well, but there are all four Seasons in Sacramento, no?" All of this talk made the Spring thirsty, so he finishes his glass of lemonade and pors himself another one. If necessary, the Queen also gets a refill. A ham sandwich is unwrapped "And these... titles sound very, um... businesslike. Does it have anything to do with the amusement park?"

Ingrid poses a question of her own, and Abraham reacts with poorly disguised pride:

"Spring favors me with the ability to channel passion into great feats. It's useful in both arts and warfare. The Verdant aspect of the Season, some say"

Retainer
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ingrid raised an eyebrow. Then her glass in a formal salute.

"Oh? So you practice the Arts then. So do I. I have studied the Fleeting and the Eternal ways both. Why would I not? Deepens one connection to the Court, I say."

She drank. Ate.

"No. I don't think the dragon will be back. Story is it was slain. Well, poisoned. So they say. It was a long drawn out conflict, before my time here. Few remember it well. The old Freehold is said to have survived but was ground down to almost nothing. Survival is victory, I guess."

"The Freehold uses the amusement park as a face. Or it did in the beginning. The park is true enough but for us its a front. For now."

Ingrid was not going to elaborate how the Freehold was evolving gently away from its roots.

"As for the Hedge? The old Freehold had some trods at its command. We lost access to them. There were some Gates in some tunnels under the amusement park - but we sealed them as it was decided the tunnels were too much of a danger. So now, the only Gate we got is this one..."

She pointed back to the Tavern.

She shakes her head sadly. "The neighbouring Freehold is the Bay. It was one huge Freehold but its collapsing into civil war and strife. I am trying to keep us out of it. We'll be smashed. Refugees pass by here and I have no idea if anything is following them from the Bay. We've already had one scare from that direction as it is."

A
    Abraham Norton

For the most part, Abraham just listened. About the Contracts (he mirrors Ingrid's salute with one of his own), about the Gentry, about the park... it all makes sense, really. A real shame there's probably no one that can recall the dragonslaying campaign from start to finish. What a tale that would be!

"A scare from the Bay? What kind?" It was described in past tense, but Abraham figures this thing may still lurk in the shadows. There's sufficient time given for an answer, but the knight-errant has more questions yet.

"So, very little Hedge. And Funderland on the other side. Do we have any other safe havens? Or places especially dangerous?" That he could spring-clean. With the help of others, if they'd be interested in a glorious quest (Abe seems to be attracted to those like a nail to a magnet) "If I need to pay respects to the other Monarchs and this... Notary, who would I need to go to?"

Some more drinks and foodstuffs vanish. Abraham takes a moment to appreciate the surroundings.

"Are there many Courtiers of Spring in town, not counting the two of us?"

Retainer
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ingrid had been about to partake of a dip. She leaned in, conspiratorially, with her mantle surrounding them in a cloud of plum scent.

"The Autumn Queen of the Bay, Anne by name, was using the gentle folk as much as twisting whatever pledges and oaths she had at her command for her own benefit. Apparently this was all exposed - by the likes or Circe, summer's queen! No less! Circe resides here now having been driven from the Bay with her motley. The motley passed us by but she remained. Anyhow, this Anne, being revealed, plunged the Bay into civil strife - or her Court did. And this Anne turned her attentions on us here, no doubt hoping to cause trouble for our Crimson Queen. She came at us through dreams - I had the misfortune to fall prey to her devices, as did Penance of Summer and the... the... Autumn Courtier called Lucifer who has since left. It was a potent dream, a nightmare, a prison. We barely escaped with our sanity. Since then, nothing. But one can never tell, right?"

Ingrid withdrew, sighing.

"We have very few safe havens. Individuals have hollows. Spring has the Tavern. There are plans to build a Freehold hollow but that is a joint effort and I do not know for certain what materials have been put aside for it yet. There is Funderland, Garden Grounds (owned by an Emerald Courtier) and The Blue Note (owned by Winter's Queen and our Notary). And that is it."

Now Ingrid did eat a little.

"I act as Vernal Sovereign during Spring. Circe is the Sovereign of the Crimson Court. If you want the Ash, seek out Rhodes for his is their Sovereign. And Sasha is the Onyx Queen. Most of the others flitter through the theme park or one of those other two establishments. I've put up some... signs... if you know your graffiti markings... to help lead the way. They haven't been kept up to date because of some security concerns, so they may or may not work."

She shrugged.

"Our Court has been growing in strength recently. We vie for dominance with the Onyx in that regard. You might just tip the balance. But its not a competition. And it will be the Season of Sorrows soon enough. Sasha always makes a strong claim for being the social heart of the Freehold."

A
    Abraham Norton

"Horrible!" Abraham exclaims when Ingrid is done explaining the situation with Queen Anne, but what he really thinks... well, he does think it's bad, just hopes this woman will eventually try something so that they can give her a solid butt-kicking. Every story needs villains and heroes, and an evil warlock versus a noble band of changelings is not a bad place to start "I don't know much about oneiromancy, so I hope that whatever comes next is more physical. To cut it down to size"

He listens about the Hollows and Monarchs and about Spring. It seemed as though this community is on the rise. Which suits him well, growth inspires tales and fuels Desire. Even if a season of stillness in around the corner. There's a nod of acknowledgement and another piece of food vanishes from the blanket.

"Thank you for all your explanations. I have but one more question... a bit more personal, if you allow" He will stop right there if there are strong signs of displeasure on Ingrid's side "What motivated you to become the Director? Why to take all this burden? I am certain you are able to do it, I'm simply curious about why were you willing"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread