Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

H: 5'8"
    Misc: speaks with a light French accent

+1
    SL
    PRE

Elysium was still. Elysium was quiet. The empty room with nothing to distract made it easy for one to get lost in thought. Clara descended into the underground sanctuary beneath the Nox wearing a black dress with a beige pointed collar and matching cuffs. Ankle-length socks tucket into pale pink platform shows. The stem of a monkshood flower was fixed to a sleeve. It was a poisonous flower poets claim Medea used to poison Theseus. It also symbolized chivalry and just happened to be a pretty flower. A necklace reminiscent of Daeva Roses hung around her neck. The Daeva Whip briefly made a show at coat check to show she was unarmed. Only a rolled newspaper was under one arm. She even made a show of opening it to show it to be a loose collection of paper, not an insidious means of hiding a weapon.

Then her slow, sure gait brought her through Elysium. She ended up seated on a couch just by the Harpy's office reading the Sacramento Bee newspaper. She flipped through it with a disinterested look on her face and occasionally stopped to read. She was on the early side of the time to meet she'd set aside for the Harpy. The possibility of the woman not meeting Clara and side-stepping her entirely was a musing the Bacchante was mulling over. She was lazily thinking out the mechanics of appropriate responses to an insult that hadn't occurred.

@Matrixchild Rebecca Simmons taaaaag

R
    Rebecca Simmons

As Rebecca sat in her office Elysium was still. Then she heard the soft sound of someone walking. She stood from her black leather office chair that sat behind her glass top desk, brushing down the ends of her simple blue dress, and made her way to the door. Just before opening it she willed the blood within her to form a mask of friendliness and pleasantness around her face. Once the door was open her eyes immediately fell on Clara and she offered the woman a friendly smile.

"Whip Verne. Thank you for suggesting this meeting. Please, won't you come in?" she said, gesturing into her office. The design of the office was modern, to be sure. Walking in one would look directly at Rebecca's desk, glass and simple and uncluttered. In front of the desk were two short, black leather chairs. Inside the office, to the right of the door, sat a black couch and another black chair around a glass coffee table. The office gave the impression that everything there had a place and that nothing would be out of it's designated space.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-10-09 08:29:53 Rebecca Simmons rolls 6 to Tatemae (Man+Exp+Kamen) (10 Again) 2, 8, 10, 8, 4, 7, 7 3 successes

R
    Rebecca Simmons

bookkeeping

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara rose and folded her newspaper under one hand. She said nothing initially but offered a polite nod. She entered the Harpy's office with a neutral expression on her face, but lingered at the door. "Mind if I close the door?" She asked and, upon receiving the affirmation from the Harpy, the Daeva Whip shut the door behind her.

She took in her surroundings and wondered if Rebecca had a Shadow in her employ. Taft was the most viable candidate. The Priscus of Shadows had a habit of melting in the background. Don't second-guess. Commit to your gamble. The die has already been cast.

"I asked to discourage eavesdropping," she explained as she took a seat. She paused a moment to readjust her dress. She then briefly glanced at the Harpy's expression. "That's the same face you had in Court." She said bemused as her gaze broke away and took in the entirety of the office. "To be honest, I wanted to see if I could get you to break when we last met. Like you did during August's Court." She shrugged. "I mean, you kept the same face but your voice gave away your intention. I admire that--the sort of will it takes to maintain composure as you do."

Her mouth opened to acknowledge Rebecca's title but Clara stopped herself. "I'd ask you to call me Clara, if you'd allow me the privilege of calling you Rebecca." The Daeva Whip smiled now and had her eyes linger on Rebecca. "If I'm sending mixed signals I do apologize--you see, I want the rest of the Domain to see us as...well, rivals. Enemies. Whichever strikes their fancy. The important thing is that you and I maintain a good relationship--while making everyone else see us as no-good bitter antagonists."

A pause as she sighed. "All to better deal with the Davis situation, and maybe blossom into future opportunities." Everything laid bare, the Bacchante titled her head and had her lifeless eyes lift to lock onto Rebecca's. "Interested?" She asked with an idle inflection.

R
    Rebecca Simmons

At Clara's request she smiled. "Please." She imagined the door being closed would be best for their conversation.

Rebecca followed Clara's lead and took a seat as well, not behind her desk but beside her, as Rebecca listened to the vixen speak, a smile resting on her face. "You certainly aren't the first, nor the last I'd wager, to try and cause me to break.
    My sire always taught me the importance of maintaining total control over your emotions. It's a lesson I still hold dear to this day,"
    she said, her friendly smile holding firm as she spoke, "so thank you." Rebecca certainly enjoyed being admired.

At Clara's request Rebecca paused. "Her Majesty generally prefers etiquette and decorum to be upheld at all times within Elysium. For her position I believe it is important. I too generally prefer to maintain the use of titles when not within the presence of Kine. On the other hand, I am now Harpy, and with that comes a certain...social dynamic that I believes lends itself to slight deviations from the norm, at least from time to time. So, yes Clara, you may call me Rebecca." A little leeway didn't kill anyone.

At Clara's subsequent explanation of their interaction at court Rebecca smiled wider. "We are Kindred after all. Sometimes I feel like we only speak in mixed signals, but I understand where you're coming from. I imagine some would find it interesting to see the Harpy go back and forth from time to time with a very capable social creature such as yourself. But I especially agree it benefits in relation to Mr. Davis. Since the first evening I arrived he and I have never truly seen eye to eye. He can come off as brash, impulsive, and lacking in common-sense, all traits I avoid like the plague. I imagine he has his own colorful descriptors to apply to me as well."

Rebecca shifted in her seat, moving her hands to her lap. "From our back and forth it would seem to benefit a relationship with Davis if you and I were somewhat antagonistic. That way your suggestions won't fall on deaf ears. He won't believe there's some conspiracy against him because even if he doesn't trust me, he would trust that you are on his side and that your suggestions aren't made in bad faith. I think that's the smart move, because despite what he may believe I have no interest in him meeting the Final Death or being banished. I merely want him to be a productive member of the Domain with a much better understanding of what is and is not acceptable behavior. I think we could easily work together to make him successful, even if it has to be from the shadows." Davis, from as far as Rebecca could see, was worth saving. But that's only if he could accept that his age did not de facto make him wise, especially when he had shown such clear lack of wisdom so far.

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

With Rebecca, Clara had to constantly remind herself to not be taken in by the woman's expression. Even her words might be carefully laced with deception to lull Clara into a false sense of security. As a result, Clara's face was featureless. She wasn't putting effort into making coy expressions or smiles. Her face was the visage of death and stillness.

"The compliment is sincere," she said as Rebecca imparted a sire story. Possibly fake. "And I appreciate your candor, Rebecca." She placed one hand over another onto her lap and left the wrist with attached monkshood on top. Rebecca was self-aware enough to see the perils between her and Davis. She was possibly pretending to care. The Daeva Whip checked her scrutiny and shifted so that her body turned to face Rebecca. "You see my intention," she said with a tone of pleasant surprise.

"Yes, to satisfy the First Estate I imagine they'd accept nothing less than one of their own to educate him," she said with a nod towards Rebecca. "What I ask is you outsource his discipline to the clan Whip." She let the request sit for a minute and smiled. "What you get for this request is thus: the credit for his rehabilitation I will sing from Priscus to Prince...as solely your doing. The fault for his lack of education shall fall on my shoulders. I'll deny it openly, but I can get a few choice Kindred to chime in against me and see me suffer in standing for it. And with someone you can privately explain his struggles to, well, I can coax sugar to make the medicine of your lessons go down easier. Provided you show fidelity to our agreement and leave his punishment to me." Clara spoke casually of tossing aside carefully minted reputation with the same mindfulness one might give towards giving away an easily replaceable pen.

A hand came up to play at her hair. Rebecca either saw benefit to the plan or was concocting something new behind the friendly face. The hand twirled at a lock with apathetic attention. "We'd coordinate his lessons together and bring this compromise to Duchess Twist. Through clenched teeth, of course." Rebecca spoke of wanting to see John contribute to the Domain, but Clara didn't see her as so high-minded. The woman wanted Status and Davis was a clear means to it. Just whether he was allowed to hunt in the Domain was the question. "Are these terms acceptable? Shall we have a lady's agreement between us?" She asked with sharp eyes. "Because this sort of agreement isn't upheld with anything. It's you and me, doing so as long as we have interest in doing so. Any back-peddling or betrayal...well, we'd only have our own means to answer that."

R
    Rebecca Simmons

Whereas Rebecca used her mask to remain friendly and composed, Clara it seemed was willing herself to remain neutral and unwavering. Probably a wise decision. "I'm glad to hear it," she replied simply at the mention of sincerity.

Then Clara went into her proposal and Rebecca fell silent, deciding to merely listen to it all before replying. Once she had finished speaking completely, Rebecca finally spoke. "What do you gain by taking on the sole burden of Davis' training? You say I'd get the benefit of your success, but you'd suffer for your failure? I wonder...why you would go so far for one man?" Her right arm moved to the arm of the chair as her hand came up to her face, tilting her head so that she could rest it on her hand. "Of course that doesn't even take into consideration the problem that part of me finds it very unlikely that Duchess Twist would even consider the idea of an outsider acting in the position of an Au Pair to a wayward Invictus." A deliberate pause. "That is, If I was inclined to accept your proposal."

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara allowed herself a smirk. "Come, Rebecca. You should be thanking me for this deal." She sensed opportunism in the other woman's dialogue. To be fair, the Doctor was right to act on it. Clara would've done the same.

"I am Whip of the clan that counts Duchess Twist and Seneschal York among our number. Two of the most well-established Kindred in the Domain and close confidants to the Prince. Long before you or I entered the picture." Clara paused to punctuate that point. "What I gain, Rebecca, is acknowledgement from my Elders that their Whip keeps their house in order. All so they might better serve the Prince. If Davis continues to be a headache for the Duchess and Seneschal, well, they might ask why they even have a Priscus. Priscus Moretti would wonder what I do as Whip. And then I'd be stuck with the Davis problem, whether I sought it or no. Am I painting a picture?" She paused to glance around. "Of course they might wonder why you, who so brazenly chastised him, haven't taken a more proactive stance...but I'm no fortune teller. The First Estate's affairs aren't for me to parse through. I'm just a Whip who doesn't like surprises."

She leaned into her chair and started to stretch out her dead limbs. "You say you only want to see him benefit the Domain, well, I want him to not be on either of those two ladies' minds. And reputation of a fickle Domain means less than that of Clan. Especially mine own. Of course, that's assuming we fail. I never go into a plan with a presumption of failure." She let her smirk sharpen. "Now, my offer is beyond generous. I give it to you with my compliments. Consider it my salute and acknowledgement of your ability. Provided, of course, you don't insult me by demanding the outrageous or demeaning. Before we move to convince Duchess Twist, I must ask again: Do we have an arrangement in good faith?" She finished her stretch and let both arms fall onto either side of the chair.

"You know this is the better deal, Rebecca. And you taking it now? Well, I'd consider it a sign of friendship."
    She lifted her right hand and rested her chin in the palm of it. She was waiting for an answer. Clara wondered which side Rebecca would land on. Friend or foe.

R
    Rebecca Simmons

Clara continued to elaborate on her proposal, so Rebecca leaned back in her chair and listened, a soft smile on her face. "You make quite the compelling argument and your offer is beyond generous. As Whip you do have a vested stake in making sure he does not slip up again, and I can understand your desire to gain favor with Duchess Twist and Seneschal York. But there are some things that only an Invictus can teach, so my counter-offer is this: you handle the majority of his education. That could include how he should act or appear in court, how he should talk to those around him, or whatever other lessons you can think of. I would leave that aspect completely to your discretion, and as such you shall receive credit for your success, instead of me. If you can succeed in this, then you deserve praises of your own...to be sung by me," she said, her smile growing. Would the Daeva desire more recognition for her efforts or did she have some ulterior motive for shifting the praise solely to Rebecca? "I merely want to be seen as a supervisor. Someone who wisely delegated to a capable member of the Domain. But in exchange he must submit to re-education by me in regards to solely Invictus matters. I just cannot agree to outsource that."

Her friendly smile remained on her face as her hands steepled in front of her. "Now in regards to punishment both of us have little leeway. Davis was mentioned when Prince Antinori informed me that I would be Harpy, and her instructions were that he would have no more chances for rehabilitation should he mess up again. What I will add to that is if his next mistake is minor, and does not involve the First Estate, then I shall leave punishment solely to you. If it is Invictus in nature, then I shall handle it." She paused for a moment, the tension building on her next words, "but if his next mistake is not minor. Well...I don't think either of us can save him from Her Majesty's wrath."

Her hands fell back to her lap as she grew more comfortable. "I would like us to work together, as friends, to make sure that doesn't happen. I believe his success benefits both of us in the end." A pause. This was a negotiation after all. "I hope my counter-offer isn't too outrageous or demeaning."

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

I will be closing the scene in a few days

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread