Fame was a strange thing. Rhodes was unaccustomed to it, and although it came with certain perks, a lot of it made him feel too exposed in a world where the shadows were his friends. Not quite so strange or unfamiliar was vice. Greed. Ambition. Pride. Indulgences of the favoured and the ruling elite, but everyone felt them. But the other great advantage of vice was because everyone had them, an assortment of different people would always endulge them. People from all walks of life. Different people all wanting to take down the current high rider of Lady Luck, and right now, that was him.

The Lucky Eights Pool Hall had become a regular lurking-spot, boosting Rhodes' reputation and allowing him to be known for being there... and the Pledge had subtly allowed that reputation to be one not just for entertaining games, but creativity as a whole. People inevitably came to him, and the ones with high ambitions or over-inflated egos were easy marks for a smooth-talking con-man with the talents the Flowering had.

Not much time was left on the Pledge that bound him and Lucfier together, than then his star would wane again. In accordance with the Pledge, the Fairest had to use this current reknown to benefit his tempestuous counterpart in exchange for the benefits she would reap for him.

And it was just so fortunate that over the last few days he had encountered people that Lucifer would need. An Actor with links to several theatres in the local scene. A lighting rigger with a taste for cards and (now, after Rhodes had finished with him) short on cash.

And today, a patron of arts with more money than he knew what to do with. Nearly three sheets to the wind when he sat at the table but sobering fast, he was more than happy to talk about being bored of the same old dramatics. A delightfully easy snare, to entice with a new type of performance - open air, where the environment forms a part of the performance itself, a chilling incitement of the primal fears of the unknown.

A meeting arranged with the man, thrilled by such an new idea, as he strolled ourt into the night.

Rhodes was satisfied that he had made another successful pitch, after a few recent dead ends. And so, the wheel of fortune begain to turn anew.

Ordering another Scotch on the rocks, Rhodes leaned back in the chair, running his fingers along the exposed bark on the back of one hand no-one else present could see. He reached inside his pocket withdrawing a phone, and called a number that was becoming very familiar.

"Luci, darling. I found you another one. Possible financial backer. I trust lunch next Thursday will be acceptible for a meeting, because that's when I've arranged it for." Rhodes smirked. He was sure there was an ultimate goal to Lucifer's trade, but it wasn't clear yet. That didn't mean he couldn't get a little pleasure from making her jump to his arrangements to get her prizes.

"Yes, Antonio's at one. Their choice, but that makes agreeing to the meeting easier, as I've told you before. Try not to scare this one away will you? There are only so many of these types of people in the city....Oh for God's sake... Listen here, you razor-tongued wretch, can we just have one conversation without descending into a flurry of barbed repostes? I'm trying to help us, you ungrateful shrew! Your success is mine, and for once I'd like to have a civil conversation with someone I chose to work with! Yes. Of course! They have to be! Fine. Fine. Just actually wear something nice this time, would you? Something that shows off your legs. He'll be putty in your hands. Every little bit helps."

The Fairest ends the phone call, smirking, cutting off the first syllable of Lucifer's storm of words. He chuckled to himself. Infuriating as she could be, no-one else in the court offered the cut and thrust of language like Lucifer did. She was worth keeping around just for that. As long as he kept emerging on top, of course....

It's a little outdated now (originally posted before the Rollback of 2018), but I found this Glimpse I thought lost forever! Thanks to Vincent for providing the file that held it!