DISPLAYED
(On the Hunt) Safe Cracker

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Freemont is a blip. No! Not even that! It is a locality on the West Bank of the Sacramento River, close to rail and road links that pass by Sacramento International Airport. There are trees, fields, a farm, and on the east bank a well situated restaurant. For Kindred, it really is the Barrens.

For Colonel Davis, its an opportunity. Hidden behind a screen of trees and ugly fencing, is a worksite. A dry dock. Not terribly big but most definitely sufficient for the task. Here, a Daeva's dream boat is taking shape: an antebellum paddle boat of the Mississippi.

Right now its nothing to look at: a stripped down hull in the process of being cleaned and restored.

The worksite is well stocked with materials, tools and equipment. If one managed to sneak into the offices, one would find blue prints and the copious notes of restorers, black smiths, agents sourcing correct materials, and the like. By day it would be a quiet hive of activity. By night... it is damn creepy.

Quiet. Poorly lit. Song of cicadas and night insects drawn by the proximity of water. Vestigial heat evaporating into the cool of the night. Shadows - plenty of places for Kindred to hide.

Colonel Davis has opened negotiations with the Hunter Lindasfarne who is a known safe cracker and security consultant.

For the Daeva, this is a chance to lure out one of the Bushwackers quickly and without much incident.

For Lindasfarne, this is a chance to work with the famed gambler who keeps in character (that of a Southern gentleman) all the time: a man known for his historical authenticity and knowledge of the period. Lindasfarne, it is said, likes challenges...

2. Likes Ruach liked this post
    J
    John Davis

The sound of steel breaks screeched through the night. The train comes to a slow stop. A diesel engine hummed on the tracks followed by a string of flatbed and boxcars. The door of one of the boxcars slides open and a shadowy gentleman in a cowboy hat hops out onto the gravel. His boots crunching the ground as he walks toward the site.

The train would park alongside the Old River Road tonight. Its cargo unloaded when the crew arrives in the morning, its driver and crew preparing to bunk down in a sleeper car. For now, Davis, they cowboy had business to discuss with a man that was both asset and liability.

"Fellows looks as if you are most assuredly on schedule," Davis spoke jovially to the last crew shift breaking down for the evening. He paid them well and they earned it.

"Yeah, boss. We going out to get KFC tonight, you buying?" A couple of the men laughed at one of their coworker's jest.

"Don't I always," Davis responded deadpan to a round of more laughter. "Here, why don't you and the other boys have a few rounds of drinks too, my treat." Davis handed a stack of bills to the leader of the crew. "Just be sure not to stay out too late, ya hear?"

"Right on! Colonel Sanders is the man!" responded one of the crewmen among the cheers and hollers of the others.

"Now don't yall forget it."

Watching the men get in their pickups and other vehicles, Davis smiled. He then turned and unlocked the foreman's trailer. Thumbing through the stacks of blueprints and notes Davis's smile grows wider. "Yes sir, this will be a fine treasure. A crown jewel along the Sacramento." Taking a seat behind a cheap desk, Davis checks his contacts who were supposed to arrive before the appointed time to meet Lindasfarne.
    Aaron van Valen Lina Moretti Blackbird Krieg

Davis was disappointed that Mable would not be present. There was always something about having something attractive to look at during games of chance that put Davis at ease. Very well, I'll have to settle for Lina and hope she doesn't foul things up. He thought. Once Davis thought Lina would be the jewel to accompany his arm, alas that went bad too quick.

Reclining back in his chair, Davis removed a cigar from an ornate box on the desk. Noting a few missing, Davis silently curses. Sticky fingers among the crew! He let the greedy jealousy evaporate as he thought of the profits to come. Davis carefully lit the cigar and proceeded to wait for his Kindred guest to arrive.

J
    John Davis

Forgot to add. Davis is carrying his usual equipment. Twin Colt Revolvers. Derringer tucked into his sleeve on a spring device.

L
    Lina Moretti

It was strange, watching an inhumane creature such as Davis try to relate to humans. He hadn't yet made his final descent; with money, with make-up, with sheer gusto, he was trying to hold on to what made him a person. Moretti hadn't failed to notice the lines of cruelty in herself, either. She'd brought a purse. In that purse, aside from her binoculars, her camera and her vest, was her make-up kit.

She'd used it on herself. Made herself look older, more like the mid-forties woman in good shape that she actually was. Tonight, she was not here as some hanger-on to the wealthy Invictus Knight. Aaron van Valen and Blackbird had the necessary talents to extract information and secure the safecracker. No, this evening, her position would be as herself.

Lina Moretti, private investigator. Working a case. She'd already mocked up the file for Client #18-1012, investigating potential theft from a worksite. And under California law, while an investigator could not be hired simply for protection services, they could provide those services if it was connected to a case they were hired to investigate. The tactical use of legitimacy was key to the Masquerade.

Enter, the workyard. The older-looking Moretti would be observing, getting angles, getting photographs, and if need be, protecting her client. As she arrived with her bag on in rugged jeans, her runners, a black t-shirt with the Kevlar he'd bought her concealed beneath, her leather jacket on, and her hair done up in a loose pony, Moretti certainly looked the part. Her new ASP baton and zap straps were in her bag. Her knife was open-carried on her hip. Fully fed from her new Rack in Florin, Moretti felt like a million bucks. Almost like a person again, with the yearning for Vitae fully quenched for the first time in a long time.

"Mr. Davis," the newly minted Regent of Florin said with an approving nod at the skeleton of the growing ship. "Nice digs. I'll be around. Listening. Watching. Checking to see who is watching Yusuf's favorite safecracker. Tonight? If I'm seen, I'm your paid-for PI who is investigating someone stealing from your worksite."

She flashed the license, as if to make a point.

"Y'all got this. I'll be nearby. Need anything?"

Equipment in minisheet. -1V for Blush of Life.

1 sux to make Lina look her actual age, 3 sux to feed, 1 sux to pre-screen the area to know good places to do overwatch
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-23 13:37:52 Lina Moretti rolls 5 to Wits + Stealth to find good positions to oversee the area (10 Again) 1, 1, 2, 9, 6 1 success
    2018-09-23 13:36:16 Lina Moretti rolls 5 to Feeding (Str+Sub) (10 Again) 8, 2, 7, 10, 6, 9 3 successes
    2018-09-23 13:23:43 Lina Moretti rolls 6 to Dex + Subterfuge + 1eq for make-up! (10 Again) 2, 7, 8, 7, 1, 7 1 success

J
    John Davis

"But of course. If you actually find evidence of such, do please do, let me know. And if it helps your story, let's say one of my employees had an accident recently and is in the process of legal action against me. Your presence is to investigate the scene and aid in my legal defense. Industrial sites can be so dangerous."

So no arm jewelry it is.

"Oh, and do be on the lookout for some cigar butts. It appears I actually do have a light-fingered employee here. As for my current needs, they can wait. You may find the pilot house on the ship provides a good view of the yard. Only way to get one better is to climb a tree or the crane."

Public Identity: Lisbeth "Beth" Graham
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

(Blush of Life)Vitae 1 Spent
    FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Soft footsteps fall upon the worksite, marking Blackbird's entry. She has dressed sensibly enough for the occasion, with the outfit being neither too casual nor out of place. It was a business meeting, after all.

Nonetheless, Blackbird was not a fool and kept her Ruger SR9 loaded and stowed within her black handbag, slinged as it was over one shoulder.

Blackbird would encounter Davis and Moretti after the pair's exchange. First a look to Lina, whom recieved a small smile and a nod of acknowledgement, "Good evening," She stopped herself from using Lina's title, though her hesitance was written plainly on her face, at least for a brief moment. They were in public after all and, despite Davis' control over the site, Blackbird could not be certain who was listening.

After a moment Blackbird looked to Davis, her smile lessening somewhat as her ego reminded her of the snub he had afforded her, "Mr. Davis, a pleasure." She'd offer. Like the Priscus, Davis' titles would be unsaid. On the matter of whether or not this could offend the aged Daeva, Blackbird truly didn't care. The security of Masquerade took precedence over a family member's pride.

Pausing only to acclimate to the greater Beasts, Blackbird spoke again. "I do hope you feel I am not over dressed. Considering this is a business meeting, I think it best their is at least some representation from your investors don't you?" Blackbird's tone shifted to one of friendliness as she signaled the Mask she intended to wear.

8. Likes Ruach liked this post

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Another night. Another hunter. Another abandoned spot.

How long before they realize the roles are reversed?

Aaron arrives in a positively excited mood. Rather than full-on business mode, he chose to go for a more rich-kid smart casual investor look. Underneath the layers his Kevlar vest is hidden.

'Greetings, everyone.'
    He takes a moment to keep his Beast in check, while looking at the other Kindred with a most neutral expression.

Lina, his most trusted friend. Davis, his sworn ally. Blackbird, the unknown wildcard that at least seems to posses common sense. Tonight would be good.

The Dragon Lord is carrying a thin leather briefcase. It has a professional look, though it holds anything but business papers: Duct tape. Plastic strips. Syringes. Ok, there is some paper too, print outs of the USB files.

'I'll lie low till blunt force is required, yes?' Last time he took the lead in the interrogation, now it was John's time to shine.

10. Likes Ruach liked this post
    L
    Lina Moretti

"I think I'm going to go with what I said," the Priscus said, but it wasn't a rebuke. "Covers why I'm doing it at night. That kind of investigation usually gets done by day. Anyway. Ideally, y'all won't need to say anything about me. I'll be watching for any watchers - Yusuf's boys." A glance up to the pilot house. "Thanks."

As Bird and Aaron arrived, Lina smiled to each. There were little wrinkles near her lips, like they'd smiled a hundred thousand more smiles over a bunch of years. "It's a good cover. Aaron, objective is to make sure he's our sleeper agent going forward. I'm confident y'all can get it done. Keep your phones on, and if you get a call from me -- take it. If I say transactions in China are going bad, get the fuck out. Cool?"

J
    John Davis

"Why Beth, you look fine, as do you, my friend." Davis couldn't help but smile at Aaron's presence. "Most excellent attire if I do say so. Two investors in a Davis enterprise!. As for lying low, I do like the element of surprise, but let's not spook our fox just yet. Mrs. Moretti will be investigating a worksite accident and possible theft. As investors that is a matter of concern. Your presence here tonight is to address those concerns and check in on your investments. Moretti will be aboard the Spirit of Sacramento, you two will remain in the trailer. I will meet Lindasfarne in the yard with these," Davis picks up a mailer tube. "Plans for a vault aboard the ship. I will work to gain Lindasfarne's trust. I will inform him that I have investors present to demonstrate the ability to pay whatever price he cares to demand. I will guide him to the boat for a tour of the proposed vault location. Moretti will remain hidden in the pilothouse on top. After earning Lindasfarne's trust, I will bring him back here to the foreman's trailer to meet my investors who will be funding this project."

Davis took a long drag on his cigar. "Things can go astray at any point tonight. Everyone needs to be ready to improvise should such occur. We must all stay vigilant. I doubt he comes alone. Beth and Aaron, there is a security feed on a monitor on that desk. If it helps. Lina, when I bring him back to the trailer, be prepared to secure the rear. Mr. Lindasfarne could bolt should he suspect he is being cornered. Beth and Aaron, be prepared to leave the trailer early should that happen or he refuses to enter. Let's put our poker faces on and call. Any questions?"

Public Identity: Lisbeth "Beth" Graham
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird smiled at Davis' compliment, but she doubted its genuine nature. Either way, Blackbird knew she looked good. Her expression changed, however, as Davis indicated he would handle much of the situation alone. She had never worked directly with the Alder.

But I've heard enough stories to know that might not be best.

Alongside what the neonate perceived as a barely veiled attempt at attaining more status for himself through the endeavor, Davis also seemed to be attempting to supersede Priscus Moretti's wishes. Moretti had explained her role as roaming the site, not sitting in a watchtower as Davis seemed to be strongly suggesting. Further, she doubted Lina wanted her and Aaron sitting in the sidelines. Why bother calling them here at all if that was the case? Thus, when Davis spoke, Blackbird merely blinked, a perplexed expression spreading across her face. Then she blinked again in the silence following the Colonel's plan. It seemed he believed himself in charge.

Or he really wants to be.

Then the neonate move her gaze to Lina proper, searching the Priscus' features for a long moment before finally parting her lips to speak, "Was this the original intent of your plan, Ms. Moretti?" she asked. Lina was, insofar as Blackbird knew, the leader of this particular foray. Like herself, Davis had merely provided support in the meeting. As such, Blackbird would look to the Priscus for guidance, rather than blinding to a man whose merits were unknown to her, but whose reputation had preceded him. However, if Lina directed her to follow Davis' directive she would.

Even if it is a waste of my talents.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread