Ended
Watch

The Shady Streets

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    T
    Tiphon

Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation...

Footfalls down alleyways, as darkness claimed Sacramento, as the Wanderer moved from road to road in the backroads that most did not dare to tread. And yet, some would. The cruel; the dangerous; the foolish; and at times, the supernatural. These were the witching hours where the things that went bump in the night stepped and made themselves known.

So it was with the chameleonic sandstorm, shifting sands through shifting vagrant populations.

Here and there, homeless dotted the night's streets.

Here and there, there were quiet places for strangers to meet, to change drugs or information or less savory things.

Here and there, perhaps some Lost would enjoy the music of the night.

0 Scenes

Posts from the 2018 Rollback!

Something about the shadowy alleyways and high-rise buildings made one feel safe. That might not make sense to most, but for some reason moving constantly through the twisting back streets and night-time shadows gave Rhodes more security than the daytime, or (heaven forbid) a flowering garden. It was something to do with the Durance, he knew that - lush, green areas filled with tall shrubs and bushes filled him with trepidation, like he knew there were things to fear there.

But the urban shadows of the night.... There he felt truly comfortable. The Night was the time the secret things came out of their holes, things people would rather not be seen in the bright of day.

The Flowering Fariest moved around the corner, his customary dark pants, shirt of Autumn colours, and dark coat that the Lost could see for what it was, roiling angry thunderclouds. Ahead, he saw a perculiar sight - a swirling sandstorm moving down a dark alley. Moving queitly throught he shadows, he snuck nearer for a better look. As he drew closer, the shape took a more noticable form - the Elemental from the Mixer. He strode slowly out of the shadows of the alleyway, footsteps echoing in the night. Rhodes' casual, personable smile drew into something a little more genuine as his blooming Mantle sent a twist of cold wind throught the late summer air as he approached Tiphon, spinning tiny red and golden leaves into form. Always make an entrance if you can.

"Good evening, friend. Didn't I see you at the clubhouse a few weeks back? I'm sorry, but I didn't catch your name at the time." He stops several feet away to give the elemental their space. "Rhodes. I manage things in the Harvest season. What brings you out this evening? Business? Or just looking to... feel the sensations of the city?" His vivid green rake over the Elemental's form. Autumn, work, Glamour. Hopefully not too cryptic. Elementals are so fascinating. I see Nana's point. Where does everything... go? How do they stay alive? .... Does it really matter, if they can be directed just like anyone else?
    The street urchin, John Doe, looked up and he caught the sight of Rhodes. The Fairest turned the corner before he had a chance to call out to him. Lifting to his feet, he followed him.

Just ahead, he saw another Lost. A sandstorm in the shape of a man. Rhodes had introduced himself first. So John spoke up at last. "Hey Rhodes," he greeted him. The mercury skinned man waved to the Elemental. "I'm John Doe."
    Hands came up --

--and then down, as he realized this was one he had, at the very least, seen. This did not engender trust; the Funderland Freehold did not bind by Oath. Any could be a Loyalist. Any could be the Enemy. But the only way to find out was to speak, to know, to investigate --

"Rhodes."

Like he was tasting the name, rolling it around in his mouth. A firm, slow nod, then a quizzical look passed across his features. The desert heat of his dogday Summer Mantle was crushed by this Lost's chilly, Autumn breeze. He was no mere foundling, fresh from the Hedge.

"These are the sands on which I flow. This is my home."

A hand patted a grungy wall, unconcerned about hygiene. He would wash in the river, or shower at the shelter. It mattered not.

"What of you, fair one? What brings you out to the darkness?"
    A glance, at John Doe came about. He raised a hand in greeting. "I am Tiphon. It seems this alley has become... popular..."
    Rhodes nods. "Tiphon. I prefer the time in the shadows - the dusk, the night. Fewer prying eyes and more opportunities to explore the city unhindered. I like hunting for the little eddies and... hollows of the city, the ways between, and night is a better time to do so."

The Fairest smiles genuinely as the Mirrorskin slides out of the alley behind him. "John! What pleasant surprise! How are you, my friend?"
    Ingrid is out. Lurking in her element, the night time streets of the city. Skin luminescent, shadows crawl toward her as if called; see how they stretch and distort at her passing; see how they stick to her form like tar, ooze out of all shape and transform into a rich dark gloop that schlurps and slobbers behind her, sticking to anything solid and anything that moves.

Only the Lost can see the shadowy carnage she leaves in her wake - this creature of light and dark, scion of the City of the Moon. Her shadowed eyes are distant, dreaming not of this city, but the other city, the one from which she escaped. Times such as this, Ingrid racks her brains for a fragment of that time: the hows and the whys of her escape remain to her a mystery - maddening and terrifying all at once.

So wrapped was she in her deepest thoughts that she did not realise where she had walked until the very last minute. Voices called to her, woke her to the present moment.

The Darkling takes an involuntary breath. Her hand moves to her shoulder bag, groping for her hidden defences. Then stops. Rhodes and John Doe she recognises, their combined mantle's playing havoc with her own when it puffs a sphere of aromatic plum perfume around her; around them.

"Hi guys. What ya doing? And who is this?"

Words tumble from her lips, her face now curious. So much has happened recently and Ingrid has been preoccupied with her own thoughts.
    "Hell, I was made for the shadows," he quips to Rhodes with a silver grin. "I'm doing well. I'm doing street cleaning. Trying to get all this damn trash off the walkways." He bent down and picked up a discarded soda cup.

His eyeless gaze turned to the Sand Man. "Tiphon, are you new in town? Need a place to stay or anything?"

By pure luck, the Director showed up. "Hey Chief!" Ingrid could introduce herself.

He grinned again looking at each of the Lost. "So, four travelers go into an alleyway..." All four seasons spontaneously gathered in an alleyway. They'd pick up on the joke, eventually.
    Shadowy figures gather at the other end of the alley. Their postures are certainly aggressive, save for the thinnest one. That one taps the others on the shoulders. A hushed conversation appears to happen and most of the figures walk on past the alley.

The thin one however approaches the group. Before the figure steps into the light a sudden blast of Summer Mantle is unleashed. A announcement of arrival. "Add an unexpected fifth," a Italian accent comes from the dark as a business suit wearing Circe comes into view with her over the top laugh. She'd gotten his joke.

"John, good one but I didn't know ya were gonna be in this part of town. If I'd known,"
    she raised both hands palms up as she shrugged, "I'd have given ya a ride while I went ta a job." She lowers her arms as she notices who else is present. "Sup Tiphon? Makin' new friends are ya?"
    Rhodes' smile grows even wider as the Vernal Monarch emerges from the darkness. "Ingrid! Looking as lovely as ever, I see! Tiphon, this is our club's resident Director, Ingrid. She also manages our more... passionate colleagues at the start of the year. Ingrid, this is Tiphon. He arrived a few weeks back; one of Circe's I think, yes? You have that kind of air about you." He looks to the elemental questioningly.

The Fairest's eyes narrow at John as he does the opening line to a joke, but the smile and twinkle in his eyes remain. "Ah, much to slow. You took the words right out of my mouth, John. A voice of every department, as it were."

Condensing mists twist in the air as Circe's mantle clashes with the cool chill of Rhodes' own. "And speak of the devil! Circe! How are you? Looking very sharp this evening." The Fairest always appreciated someone being well-turned out.
    There was an interesting dichotomy in what could be done at night versus what could be done in the day. Penance strived to be virtuous, or at least nonoffensive, during the day, but she had to gather Glamour at some point. Especially with how fast she could churn through it. And with Fear being her new emotion of choice, well... somethings just line up too perfectly.

Some provoked fear in subtle ways that lingered. But Penance was an Ogre and didn't care for intricate manipulation just by talking to someone or setting up an environment. Her ways were a bit more... brutish.

The Corpsegrinder emerged from an alleyway carefully cradling what appeared to be a large wrench, running a handkerchief down the length of it. A yellow one with a suspicious reddish-brown stain on it. The Ogre also was sans Mask with an uncharacteristic smile on her face, her pearly whites stretched in a devilish grin.

Of course, one of the more notable things about her approach was the carpet of low-lying, blood red mist trailing behind her. One which clearly wasn't caused by her Mantle, which was a measly wisp of exotic-smelling smoke trailing from her mouth, pitiful in comparison to many of the other Mantles on display.

All these things probably painted a damning picture if the police had seen her first.

1 suxx to Harvest Fear
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-23 12:17:48 [03] test rolls 13 to craft bs (8 Again) 2, 2, 1, 1, 10, 10, 6, 4, 5, 1, 10, 6, 5, 8, 8, 6, 3, 3 5 successes

When she saw the conglomeration of other Lost, she pocketed the tool in the front pocket of her grey hoodie and stashed the handkerchief in her pants. While she didn't recognize a couple of the Lings, the presence of Rhodes and Circe meant she wasn't too concerned. Just in time for the perfect opening from Rhodes too.

"And the Devil will appear! That is how the phrase is, yes? I did not expect so many-" what's the euphemism for them again? "Friends to be here tonight. Is this good luck?"

Of them all, Tiphon is the most foreign to here. And quite distinct in appearance too. She pays particular attention to him.

"You have a lot of grit to you. Did you just blow in?"
    Words, voices, everywhere as Lost poured from the woodwork into his little world. The Sandstorm gave nods and hellos and greetings, ever alien, ever distant from the socialite traveler he had once been -- Alan the Adventurer --

The thought came unbidden, and the red eyes burned off into the distance. Then, the word came as he was introduced. "Director." A nod, almost a quarter-bow as he tried to show formality without being weird as fuck in the streets. "As it has been said, I am Tiphon. It is a distinct honour to meet you, and in such a timely way as well."

A half-smile creeped over the Sandharrowed's alien visage as the Queen of Summer came, her question in the air. "I am a paragon of socialness, ma'am. I am known for cruising streets and meeting all of the appropriate people at once."

The red eyes twinkled. Was that an Elemental's version of a joke?

"I swept in recently, yes," he replied to Penance, and turned, finally, to Doe. "And thank you, but no. I protect certain places by my residence..."
    "Tiphon, hey? Well hello! Look at you!" Ingrid purred and bowed her head in return. A smile bubbled on her face, quivering at the edge of her lips, as the chatter continued.

"One of yours, eh, Circe?" She gave the gun bunny smurfette a friendly, if sidelong, look.

"Thats good to know. Nice to see everyone out for a change - I was starting to think everyone was like us shadow lovers. You know, hiding out during the day. So hot lately."

She spared some nods for the new arrivals but kept the focus of her interest on the Sandharrowed.

"Everything ok? You settling in?"
    He chuckled to Rhodes. Then his eyes went wide with the sudden appearance of his salacious roommate. "Oh! Hi Circe!" he greeted her. He inched back to angle his face out of the sunlight. He didn't want to be caught oggling the Queen of Summer out in the open. "Oh uhm, I was just out for a walk and, well," he gestured to the group, "I saw Tiphon here then Rhodes beat me to it."

The appearance of the Ogre surprised him, Damn, where'd she come from? His mouth fell agape for a moment. "I don't think I've met you yet...I'm John."

Tiphon's response to his inquiry was met with a nod. "Glad to hear it."
    "Hiya back John! And Rhodes I am pretty sure I ain't red or honry enough ta pass fer the devil," Circe jests right back at him. Then laughs fully, "Indeed my crimson friend ya are closer. But it's supposed ta be a pitchfork I think."

Whilst some might say Elementals lacked a sense of humor, Tiphon managed to tickle Circe's funny bone, "Oh ho ho ho ho, that's a good one my boy, ya are certainly one of mine with jokes like that," Circe walks closer while looking at John, "Cool man. Yer always a helpful helper," then turns to Ingrid, "Yes he is with my anger management group ya could say," she tops to lean against a spot on the alley's wall near Tiphon but pauses. She looks at the wall with disgust before stepping closer to Tiphon at a new spot to lean against as she shakes her head with her nose wrinkled up, "Non ho nemmeno intenzione di indovinare cosa fosse."

Circe is also listening to see how Tiphon answers.
    "Maybe I've only caught you on your good days. Your kind have a fiery reputation after all!" Rhodes gives Circe a wink. "But we have one that fits that bill a little better, just as the saying goes!" He beams at Penance joins the growing throng.

"It has been hot... I am lucky in that I always seem to keep cool, somehow." The Fairest smiles to Ingrid as another icy breeze twists around them, before looking to John and Penance. "Really? John, this delightful young lady is Penance. She was at the big Summer party, though I believe she was in a mask at the time?" He chuckles slightly at the joke. "How are you, Penance? How are things settling?"

She seemed so excited to see him. He glanced down at his sandy self, literally looking at himself momentarily. "I like the heat. It reminds me of..." What? Of what? Home? He trailed off, blink-blinking quickly as he refocused, not allowing the Wyrd to snap his concentration. "All is well, ma'am. I have found my people, the people on streets. It appears that among this group, I am not alone in this regard," he said with a gentle gesture toward the Sun Banisher.

He glanced and grinned to the Queen of Summer. "My jokes are amazing." Flat. "Did you need anything, Ingrid, Circe? I find myself... remarkably low on the tasks that define."

Was not, after all, a warrior without a war merely a rusting blade?
    Tiphon certainly seemed a well-enough fellow. His vocabulary struck her as very polite and informed, though perhaps it was just in contrast with her own. And given his connection with Circe and the snippets of wind coming off of him... yeah, he seemed alright in her books.

She was vaguely aware of John, but seeing him so upclose... something about his mein actually seemed more alien than all the rest of them. The lack of a defined face was actually a bit unsettling. And yet somehow, it wasn't actually difficult to tell where he was looking and who he was talking to.

"Yes, I am a more newer arrival. I think you were at the Summer thing too. It is ok if you did not see me, I was afraid to socialize."

She moves in closer to Rhodes, partially show allegiance and partially just to better answer his question.

"I have, how you say, had my ups and my downs. But I am in a good mood right now. I had some good stress relief. And getting Gla-" hold off there, you're still in public. "What I mean to say is high emotions give me a rush. Like a rolling-coaster ride."

She did feel a bit loopy. Like when you've had a few and you're feeling good. It was a nice change of pace.
    The Fairest's face twists into a sinister grin to his fellow Autumn. "Oh, it does. Why does anyone enjoy the scares of horror, or feeling on edge chasing excitement? It's the thrill. The adrenaline we feel... whatever else we may get out of it." He smiles, knowingly. "I'm glad to see you embracing your new talents in such a way. I told you you'd be a natural." Rhodes caps the compliment off with a roguish wink to the Ogre.

"Well. We shouldn't keep here lurking in the alleyway. Perhaps there's a bar nearby we should move on to?" He asks the group at large.
    "Ah, yes, the summer festival," the Faceless' bumps for eyebrows rose up. He briefly cast a look to Rhodes. Rhodes had requested that the Darkling not unwittingly inspire ideas of treason. The Wyrd was indiscriminate like that. He turned his face back to Penance. "Well, it's good to meet you then," he smiled to the Ogre. "Always good to meet newcomers like yourself."

Turning back to Rhodes, "Yea, sounds like a good idea. I'm thirsty."
    "That didn't stop me from socializing with ya Penance," the Summer Queen gleefully quipped in. Though she nods along with Rhodes, "Nice ta see it went well." She looks at her fellow Fairest, "Eh, I can't suggest that'd let all of us in. One I do know but, well. Wrong social circle so ta speak. I mean I like the lot of ya but that place wouldn't."

Not that she was talking about criminal circles. Not this time. Instead Circe was probably the only one in the alley to fit a said bar's minimum dress code. "Lets try fer a more fun place."

3. Likes Xadun liked this post
    T
    Tiphon

Tiphon blinked. A bar? Him? He glanced down at his ratty old clothes. "Most drinking establishments of any repute do not desire the attendance of a... wanderer."

Read: hobo. He was obviously a street person.

"I need a shower. And clothing that looks normal."

A half-smile crossed the sandstorm's visage, like a dune rising up one cheek.

"I would not be offended if you went without me."

P
    Penance

"I will admit, causing fear is a little easier than causing anger." She gives an apologetic expression to the Summer Queen.

"And I am very glad you spoke to me, even if I took a different direction."

At the mention of going out somewhere to drink, she gives a look back at the crimson mist pooling behind her. ...Yeah, that probably wouldn't fly in any public establishment.

"If you guys are going out to drink, I will have to say no as well. This," she points back to her trail, "will stick around for a while more. I probably should not go anywhere too public while it is still going on."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Flowering nods to Penance's comment. "And it can come with a certain pleasure I find Anger rarely encompasses," he adds, his face twisting into a sinister grin.

"Well, I for one would rather not exclude people unnecessarily," Rhodes says, looking around and the others and his expression becoming more amiable. "We are so fortunately met, and I'd rather we got to socialize a little longer..." He snaps his fingers. "There is one place. It's a little rustic but very charming. A little off the beaten track and on the far side of some Hedges..." He turns and give Ingrid a meaningful look. "Provided their ever so enchanting Landlady lets us in, of course." He gives the Vernal Queen a charming smile.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe looks over to Penance with a smile, "That Penance is a because," she starts to wag her finger in the negative to emphasize the following words, "ya ain't figured out how ta troll people in analog yet."

Circe then turned to Tiphon, "Dude. Fuck. That. If yer not welcomed I'm busting' somebody's skull. We can probably figure out cleanin' ya up," she then held up both hands palms out and waving lightly in the negative, "And don't worry 'bout this," she then waves down with both hands at her suit, "It ain't a Summer dress code."

Circe finally turns to Rhodes, "Ooooh, we've got a club only bar? Fuuuuun. They got tequila?"
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Striking Looks 2 "Ethereal"
    Retainer
    (Angus (ensorcelled mortal))
    Ingrid
    Ingrid

Mein

Very much like her Mask. However, her skin takes on a more reflective, rubbery texture and she appears... thinner... with limbs that are slightly too long and thin for her general proportions. There is also faint traces of webbing between her fingers and toes.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"My Court's tavern is always open," Ingrid said with a smirk. She took a moment to get her bearings.

"Though it might be a bit hard to get to it from here - distances being all... You know? If you are looking for a solid reference, seek out the wishing well at the Funderland theme park... but that could pose a problem for some."

The Darkling bit her lip, annoyed.

"Of course, the other alternative is to simply buy some booze and find a quiet spot where we can imbibe in peace." She ventured carefully.

"Unless you want a little odyssey out in the green yonder. I got no idea where we'd end up, though." Was there a hint of hunger on Ingrid's face as she spoke.
    Darkling: Palewraith |Spring Mantle 3 (Heady scent of plums)
    WYRD 3| Health: 7| Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7| Striking Looks 2: "Ethereal"

T
    Tiphon

"Don't drink and Hedgedive," the Elemental joked, though part of the kidding tone was lost in translation between the mind of sand and the mouth of man. "If there is a place where one such as I is welcome, then I shall be happy to join you. So. Where you go, Ingrid, I will follow."

Blink. Blink.

"I require... rum and cola."

Do we want to wrap this one up and set a new scene?

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.
    Circe Scenes

Rage singing, no work with Ozzy, Shake the shanty

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Is that like sayin' don't drink and fly Tiphon?" Circe just has to throw in a joke. Well hopefully it was a joke.

I am good with that option.
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

"I'd rather we were all comfortable, instead of drinking on a stoop as if we are in an eclectic Lloyd-Webber piece" Rhodes says, watching Ingrids reaction carefully. "Though a night-time jaunt into the vibrant unknown? Who knows what mysteries we might uncover?" The Fairest looks positively intrigued at the prospect, grinning at the Vernal Sovreign.

This isn't like me. Diving into the Hedge at the drop of a hat? Daring though. With the Queen of Summer on one side and an ogre on the other? Nothing builds reputation like bravado.

"I think we have a decidion, regardless of distance," Rhodes adds. "Though perhaps we should take the more leisurely route? I have no mood to be hobbled by natives this evening." He offers a smile and his hand to the Spirng Queen. "Shall we?"

Also happy to move, theads, or we could simply relocate this scene without changing threads. Makess ense either way.

Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 9

You do not have permission to view the list of names.