Ended
Watch

Enter the Storm

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    T
    Tiphon

Sand as man flowed, red eyes burning, toward the Mirror Maze. Here, he had heard that the Queen of Winter could be found - she who this local Freehold called Notary in this place known as Funderland. It was all so strange to him, that the Wyrd would reign but not; that the importance of the Winter Queen was in her title as Notary... but oddities could be explained. A Wanderer knew oddities, knew nothing was ever consistent from place to place in the shifting tides of Fate and Will that their world turned on.

The only certainty was uncertainty. Even death and taxes could be cheated.

He rapped on the door, gentler than most.

"Hail."

And, hopefully, well met.
    Selena

S
    Sasha

Sasha had been looking through her calendar. She had three different ones, and a fourth that tied them all together. She had to keep each piece separate, at least by the books. The small notebook computer had the Google calendar where all the dates connected. Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. She wondered if she accidentally locked it, but didn’t say that aloud.

Her tone was friendly as she responded. “Please come in.” If the lobby area was colder than normal, it was the way she liked it. She kept the maze temperate as well. Yet, when the man who spoke would open the door, condensation would puff through the crack of the door briefly.

T
    Tiphon

Footfalls fell, and in came the Wanderer.

"Thank you for seeing me on no notice, ma'am. I was told this was where I would find she who is known as the Notary of the Freehold."

A slight chill brought a moment's shiver to the desert creature, whose whipping desert wind was crushed by the Mantle of the beauty before him.

"I am Tiphon. I seek to find a place here, in body and in heart, until such a time as the winds of change come and I wander once more."

His hand came forth, as though to shake.

"It is a pleasure."

0 Scenes

Posts from the 2018 Rollback!

The Dancer closed the calendars that were in front of her, and her full attention was on the new person who paid her a visit. "Yes, this is the place. My name is Sasha Collins, some called me L'aire in the past." She moved from her seat to standing and then around the desk in an ethereal motion, graceful, elegant and all too like a song was playing in her spirit as she moved to an unheard rhythm.

Sasha slowly moved closer to the Summer, as she did, a faint whisper tickled her ears. She met his hand. "It's good to meet you Tiphon." Her hands were nimble and chilly to the touch. The faint heat she felt from him didn't particularly effect her at the moment, releasing his hand at an appropriate time.

"Can I get you anything? I have coffee, both hot and iced and bottled water." Her other hand waved behind her. "Have a seat if you wish." Nodding to the small lobby with chairs and a small coffee table.

"Where are you from Tiphon? Why did the winds bring you to Sacramento?" She smiled sweetly. Everything about the Fairest was genuine and friendly while she stood, wondering what her guest may need.
    "Sasha Collins."

Like he was trying it on for size, then he gave a nod. He shivered slightly at the Winter Queen's frozen touch, his Wyrd-touched nature nothing compared to the might of her Sorrow's Mantle. He gently waved off the offer of coffee et al. with a murmur of 'no, thank you', but he did find a seat.

"Where am I from... I am uncertain, Your Majesty. I have wandered a long time. When you are without permanent address and the life you once led is gone, it is challenging to say. Yet I can tell you that I do know I am a child of the world. Egypt. The Caucasus. Russia. Greece. Ever a traveler."

A raw chuckle.

"As for why I have come here... there is one who wears my face, who disgraces it, who keeps me from me. The Fetch is here. And I will have him. I suppose, thus, you could say that my purpose is to break particular sticks and ground away particular stones." By the end of the sentence, he was almost hissing the words, his little Mantle pulsing and pushing helplessly against her overwhelming power as anger suffused him. The Fetch. It was here. He knew it.

"Perhaps, then, I will have peace and all else will follow. Then, I can have a home."
    Her violets followed him as he took a seat. She too didn't take a beverage and sat across from him. The Fairest was relaxed, yet poised while her attention was on him.

It was a little saddening that he could't pinpoint where he was from. The nomadic man tried to explain, but maybe he misunderstood her question. "Where were you before Sacramento? Were you in the states? Were you close?" Sasha didn't make it seem like a dire question, but she was interested in hearing him speak.

The Dancer knew all too well the ire that a Fetch could draw. It still made her furious that they may still be active in Russia. "It's interesting that you mention Russia, last I checked, that was where my Fetch still had been." She shrugged slightly, non-verbally saying that she wasn't doing anything about it.

"Curiously, if I may ask, what is your fetch potentially doing that is causing this disgrace. Of course, I completely understand that it keeps you from just being you, but is there something more?" As she waited for an answer, she studied the Summer's face, wondering if she'd ever seen someone like him in the area.
    "I recently got off a bus from Des Moines," he clarified, idly scratching at a sandy cheek, gently peering as though that explained everything and nothing. "It has been a long, slow journey across the United States to here. But when one is transient, one is not from anywhere... for I go from town to town." There. Maybe that helped.

"You are mighty, Lady of Winter, and undoubtedly, your Fetch trembles at the notion that you may one day go to the Motherland and end it. And yet, with mine, it... well. Is that not enough? To be a shameful mockery made of Fae will and cruelty, to exist in the life of another, to take from me what is rightfully mine? No, Your Majesty. It has done nothing more than that. But though it believes itself me, it is but a construct. And that a construct lives my life waxes me wroth, and so..."

So he would end it.

So he would destroy the Fae's false machine.

So... there were so many 'so's, and yet he left it open to her to fill it in herself.
    Giving a slow nod, the Onyx thought she would offer up a little of her own background. "I understand how it feels to never call a place home. For many years I traveled with the Cirquede Soleil. There was a point that I thought I would be doing that the rest of my life until I found Sacramento." The Winter remembered finding Dorian while in Las Vegas, or, she found him. It was one Changeling she'd never forget, the one who found her home yet vanished again.

The Dancer furrowed her brow. "Believe me, I am not content with what she's taken from me. Yet, she is also famous in Russian. If she were to go suddenly 'missing' or wind up dead, someone or something would come looking for me." The Fairest sighed calmly and shook her head. "It is not worth it to me to do those things."

The Dancer raised her hand gracefully to pause a moment. "However, we both have different feelings toward our Fetches and different motives to do what we do."

"I have not seen a similar face around the city before, or anything that would closely resemble you either. That's not to say they do not dwell in a part of the city that I have not ventured either. Our paths may not have crossed."

"But, should your paths meet, and they are here, I have a feeling you intend to just 'break particular sticks and ground away particular stones'..." Sasha's brow was quirked in curiosity. The man probably couldn't be talked out of killing their Fetch, but, she had to ask what would happen. She had a duty to uphold.
    Red eyes burned as she spoke of her past, of her finding a better way. A breath, wistful as he considered it. "Perhaps I shall be able to follow in your example, Your Majesty. One hopes. And I am sorry that your duplicate is unable to be reached. We all deserve to be reunited with... ourselves." That piece. That face. "The choice of vengeance or peace is one that should be afforded to us all in time. I thank you for letting me know that you have not seen me..."

As he said it, the Glamour poured over him, hardening. Sand smoothed. Burning red turned to deep brown. His face was cragged and cracked, an older man's face with sandy brown hair and a gentle smile. An alien beneath a kindly man's face, long taken. "...but now, you know what it is you are looking for should you ever see the me that is not me again."

Her final question brought a pause to that cragged face.

"I will gaze into his eyes, and I will know. Vengeance... or peace. For now, there is the hunt. The decision can be made in the fated moment. Worry not, ma'am. I will not bring wrath down upon this Freehold. I know what must not be done."

-1G for Hardening the Mask.
    The Onyx rolled one shoulder, as if she'd let it roll off her back for a while. "It is a choice I made. And a choice I have to live with. I thank you for understanding that choice."

The Fairest understood that many killed their Fetches. Most didn't talk about it, or even reveal that's what they were about to do. "I appreciate your honesty Tiphon. Some have the same goals, but do not let on to what their motives may be." It was simple things like this that earned trust.

Sasha breathed in a long breath and slowly released calm words. "I will be honest with you, in my years in this Freehold, this is my first encounter with someone who is actively seeking out their Fetch with intentions to be rid of them. I ask you that if the time comes, I do expect you to be true to your word and not let any wrath rain down on this Freehold. By way of the Hedge or by Sacramento's emergency teams. I am sure you can find means to uphold these wishes."
    "One should never quest alone, and others should never quest alongside someone who is not willing to share their reasons why," the Elemental said smoothly in reply to her point about motives, certain in his forthrightness. The burning light of Summer's truth would reveal all.

A gentle smile crossed that rough face.

"We are the Iron Spear. We are a tipped weapon built for accurate, tactical thrusts. So it shall be with respect to that which has stolen me from me, for I have learned my lessons. A direct, accurate strike, measured twice so that I must only thrust once." A nod. "I will ensure that the Freehold is not at risk. My personal objectives do not take priority over the safety of all those Free."

A gentle gesture of the hand floated toward the Queen of Sorrow as he floated his next question.

"How is it that I can help this Freehold? I am here. I will earn my keep."

S
    Sasha

Sasha finally saw a smile from this new Elemental to their Freehold. If he’d smiled before, she didn’t catch it as she concentrated on everything he was saying, it was immensely important when someone was speaking of finding their Fetch.

“Measure twice, cut once.” It was how the Fairest could relate to what Tiphon was saying. “I only know that phrase from the scenic builders at the Studio, I hear them chatting about it from time to time when training new people.” After she said that, the Dancer winced, wondering how silly she may have sounded.

He may have been fierce, yet, there was a gentleness locked away somewhere inside the embers of this Summer. “We have not elected a new Groundskeeper yet. If you are someone who wants to patrol the Hedge and keep the Fae at bay, they will give you direction once elected. However, for now, while you are searching, keep a sharp eye out for those who wish to do our Freehold any harm.”

“If you have any suggestion on what you’d like to do, or what your specialty is, I am all ears.” She smiled softly, and her eyes intently watched him.

T
    Tiphon

"I apply the phrase to most things. Tactical applications of force included. It seems apt, a reminder that only fools rush in. And in our line of business," the sandstorm made man gestured to each of them and then in a circle, as though to include all Lost. "Recklessness leads to recapture."

Red eyes burned, but an eyebrow went up at the notion of a Groundskeeper. "I know the Hedge well. Very well..." A nod. "That is a position I am well suited for. However, do you know if any others who are appropriate have put in for it? I would not wish to step on the established."

S
    Sasha

The Fairest nodded. She knew all too well that being reckless lead to danger. "Which is why I am here instead of at the New York Ballet or Palais Garnier Opera House. Perhaps it's with being a Winter that I am far more careful than many." She shrugged, but that wasn't the only reason. Although with her mother gone, she really had no one she cared about that would be in any danger. "Of course now, I could vanish or become captured and no one would pay no mind." Sasha let it slip and suddenly went back to the other question the Dusty man had asked.

"I know that the Director was taking applications. Yet, I have not heard of anyone applying. You may want to take it up with her personally if you feel you are qualified for this position, I would make a case for yourself. She may be interested." Sasha said with encouragement in her voice.

"Knowledge of the Hedge can help you. Perhaps give her examples of what you know, or how you could train others to help you patrol the Freehold." The Fairest didn't entirely realize she was encouraging an unknown until all the words slipped through her lips. But maybe he would be the perfect candidate.

T
    Tiphon

"I understand this feeling. A wanderer disappears, and all assume he wandered off. This is what I do. Keep an eye on those who wander, so that it is known if there is one preying on those who nobody would miss." A gentle smile crossed his cragged face. "And yet something tells me the disappearance of the Onyx Queen would raise every alarum."

"As for the position... before I run, I should walk. May I humbly request your Acknowledgement, that I may attend functions and enjoy the company of my brothers and sisters with the knowledge that I am present and vetted? It seems that, without a Freehold Oath, that vetting is the most important thing a newcomer can seek out."

S
    Sasha

The Dancer agreed with a slow singular nod of her head. So far, he was a little rough around the edges, but she liked how blunt and to the point this Summer was so far. Yet, his statement that it would cause an alarm, she only smiled with pursed lips. It was a discussion for another time, and with more trust built up.

"Yes, walking to find your grounding is probably a good idea." She gave breathy chortle. Sasha had a slight furrowed brow when he mentioned the Freehold Oath. She quickly wiped it off. "Yes, perhaps some day one will start again. But those who ask about it seem to as loyal as someone who swears it haphazardly." For some reason, Tiphon asking about it made her almost trust him more than before. It could be a rouse, but she didn't think so.

"You have my acknowledgment, Tiphon. Please, enjoy our Freehold and should you find anything amiss, let myself or Ingrid know as soon as you can."

T
    Tiphon

It was strange, in the Elemental's mind, that a Freehold Oath was not being sworn at all, but his flat visage had already revealed that fact. He would make his own bonds of loyalty with others, as a Lost ought to.

"Thank you, Notary. I am sad to say that now I must go. There is an event at a soup kitchen I wish to attend."

A firm, final nod of respect signaled his understanding of the end of their meeting.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Queen Sasha."

Wrap it up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 9

You do not have permission to view the list of names.