(Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Yet another night where Taft finds himself making use of a particularly run-down motel. A sign, visible from the street, reads 'hourly rates available'. The Spider drinks in the quiet humor that surrounds his choice of venue. Mortal activity at such a location is limited to, really, one category. And whatever happened there was none of anyone's business. Patrons who recognized another would probably prefer to say nothing, let they, themselves, be identified.

But on this evening, he prefers not to waste precious vitae on making himself look human... just so he can wait outside the door. Instead, he's already seated (somewhat) comfortably inside. At a small round end table with two chairs. Theo was informed of the motel name and room number, so there would be no need for standing post. The door is unlocked. Ironically adorned with a 'do not disturb' sign. The Priscus of Shadow waits. Another cousin means another perspective - which Taft will enjoy unraveling.
    Health | Willpower | Vitae

T
    Theo

There's a knock on the door, solely for the purpose of announcing that someone is coming in, before Theo enters. He lets out a low whistle as he scans the room. Under one arm is a bottle of scotch, in a hand are two glasses. Under his jacket is a knife, another one is tucked into a sheath on the back of his belt. None of these things are hidden, and in fact Theo seems to move in such a way that it should be impossible for Taft to miss that he's armed as he examines the room, and the restroom, before taking a seat across the table.

"So boss, you bring all the cute boys here?"

He drags the wastebasket over with one foot, as he pours himself a finger of scotch. He gestures, silently asking if Taft is interested in a drink.

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

At the knock, the bald Shadow says "Enter." just loud enough to be heard. Then, with only a brief glance at the man who enters, he adds "Lock the door behind you."

Taft waits in silence as Theo examines the room. He'd likely see what anyone else sees; unidentified stains. Yellowed wallpaper. Burn marks on the carpet. A passably clean bathroom - if you don't look very hard and don't think about it. Taft, himself, takes note of the weapons Theo has chosen to display.

"Would you think less of me if I said yes?"
    A ghost of a smile rests on thin lips, though Taft may as well be laughing aloud.

When Theo is seated, Taft holds up a single hand to dismiss the offer. "I prefer not to." Prefer, in truth, is an understatement. But Theo hasn't come to hear of Taft's vices in life and his struggle to overcome them.

"I have questions for you. But I will offer the 'floor', as it were, for anything you wish to share first. It is still early. We have time."

4. Likes liked this post
    T
    Theo

The door is locked at the Priscus' request, obviously.

"And why would I think less of you, boss?" He asks with a shrug, his voice amused.

"Fair 'nuff. I just enjoy the taste of it." He takes his glass of flammable liquid poison and tastes some of it. His sense of taste peaks as he swishes it around his mouth, dissecting the flavor, and he doesn't bother to swallow. It wasn't actually bad for what he paid for it. Instead he just spits it out into the wastebasket.

"Wow, sharing. If I just started spouting off everything about me, how awful a shadow would that make me?" He liked the sound of his own voice, but he wasn't an Succubi or Lord, after all. Still, he'd toss something out. "If my sires found out about me acting like I still had milk teeth, they'd fly up here and have words about that kind of behavior."

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Taft watches Theo with his drink as one might watch an ant farm. His actions are interesting, to a degree, though not particularly exciting. His response to the statement is flat. "As did I. Once."

Taft's grin returns. Perhaps he had expected Theo to run his mouth. His demeanor being so like that of a Deava. "Sires? As in more than one? That's certainly an effective hook. I'll bite." The grin widens, peaks, and returns to its barely present state. The bald Shadow leans back in his chair and rests one arm on the table. The other turns a palm upward and 'offers' that Theo continue. "Tell me. And I will reward you with the same. A fair exchange of similar information."

7. Likes liked this post
    T
    Theo

Theo shrugs, gets the hint, and puts the drink under the table. "Whatever you say boss." There was more to being dead than being a corpse, but that meant different things for different people he guessed.

"I mean I've only got one Sire, but they've got five bodies. Like how you've got a hand and it's got five fingers." He holds up his hand and ticks off each finger, one two three four five, to show. "But it's all one hand. Only one of them Embraced me, obviously, but they were all there when it happened. They're part of an identity experiment, where they," Theo waves a hand. "Details aren't important right now, and I don't want to bore you with movement stuff. The end result is that they're in each other's heads all the time and it makes a new person. They've been that person longer than I've existed, that much I know."

Theo waits, sure Taft will have questions.

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Here is something entirely new to the Shadow (the one with less hair). He blinks twice. Then allows himself to show interest. What's the harm?

"Are these identities truly shared? Traded, as it were? Or is it simply an act."
    He shakes his head lightly to himself. "Wrong word. Not an act... but a commitment. I am curious to know." The understatement of the evening. If not the recent month.

"And who were these personalities?"
    he continues, with moderate restraint in waiting for him to finish answering the last questions. ​"From which did you learn the most?" Five separate teachers is an advantage, indeed. Taft feels no shame in admitting to that: Theo has an edge above him in upbringing. At least in the post-mortem sense.

T
    Theo

"It's a collective action experiment taken to an extreme position to see how viable it is, there wouldn't be any good data in the experiment if they were just faking it." Theo states plainly. "To even be capable of connecting to the Gestalt, someone needs to Think Alike, and that means more than just sharing similar opinions. If someone is willing to join, first they vet you to make sure you're even base level compatible with them and that you won't introduce unexpected instabilities, then there's an extended period of Adjustment even before they the open their box of Blood Tricks. So by the time you're ready to connect to the Gestalt, you're already the same as the Gestalt. You dress the same, you talk the same, you think the same. There's even a certain amount of skill osmosis that happens. The only difference is your background, and over time that will be a smaller and smaller fraction of your life."

Theo shrugs. "So your question 'from which did you learn the most from' doesn't have a real answer. I learned different things from different bodies, but they were all the same person."

"So knowing that, why do you think someone would willingly undergo the necessary Brainwashing and Hematopsychically Induced Personality Adjustment needed to join the The Santiago Coterie's Gestalt?"

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

On the surface, a man stares. He listens intently. Somewhere beneath that, the spider preens. Taft aches for this knowledge.... no. This experience, in his very core. For no other reason than to claim it as his own. He steeples his fingers and brings them close to his lips as he reigns in his thoughts. Dabbling in too many practices like his own would undoubtedly drive him insane. This 'Gestalt' is curiosity. It can only ever be as much.

"The ends, for them, justify the means. I understand the sentiment. I, too, walk a path in which much of my self is lost along the way. Though I suppose the most dangerous fork in the road has yet to be taken."
    He nods, seemingly to himself, and returns his hands to a neutral position. "The individuals who became the personality of your Sire had something to gain. They went to great lengths to achieve it."

He pauses, for a moment, to shift tactics. Assuming a much more relaxed posture - leaning back against his chair and resting his elbow on the table - he smiles at Theo. "I promised to share an equal part with you. So I will tell you of my own Sire. She went by the name of Tabitha Freeman. A name, I suspect, that was as given by circumstance rather than birth. But I digress... much of her tutelage consisted of warnings. She warned me of the consequences for using the gifts our blood affords." It's clear by Taft's expression that 'our' does not extend to his present cousin. "The mastery of these gifts requires a most precious sacrifice." The smile is gone. ​"Memories."

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Scene is past the month mark. But in sure the Shadows will have things to discuss in the future.

Closed Thread