Ended
Watch

Dragon's Den

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    L
    Lina Moretti

"Someday," Lina agreed with a laugh. "And neither would I, but if you're forced to rely on something uncertain, Prestation ain't bad to rely on. Especially if the consequences for breaking it are bloody awful - as they should be. Reputation is everything, especially among our kind."

She leans back in her chair as she listens to Aaron describe Weiss. "A Nosferatu artist, huh? Well, I guess tattooing is change in its most direct form. I've seen guys work themselves out of their norms using tattooing, especially the fellas studying Banes. That's a good start."

Lina smiled at the question about what she did to develop.

"Well, my method came from understanding people. Nothing is permanent, least of all people. So I got to watching them. Learning their lives. Understanding their secrets. Figuring out what motivated them. I learned about the soul, first. The dark and the light. I learned to observe others so I could observe and understand myself. People change for many reasons, but one of the biggest ones is to avoid pain, be it physical or emotional. And I realized that to transcend this Requiem's suffering put upon us by God, I have to understand suffering, and how our tests against the Curse change me."

A pause.

"So, for example. After sparring with Disciplines to get my vitae less sluggish and to warm my body up to the idea of Change and meditation through katas to get myself focused on being able to control myself, we'd get down to the hard training. To learn to snap the leash on my Beast and bring it to heel, my old mentor taught me that you have to condition your Beast to act how you want it to, with a set stimulus that you can replicate even in moments of awful stress. He showed me how to train my Beast like the animal it is. Provoked by fire? Tame it, or be punished. Starving and presented with a vessel? Control it, don't drink, or be starved longer. But that doesn't come naturally. You make yourself find ways, a structure of a leash. It's a lot of time chained up, frenzying - but in those critical moments before you lose yourself, you learn a lot.

For me? I use mindfulness techniques to help, in a specific way, like Pavlov's bell. The Beast rises up and threatens to overwhelm me? I start doing things like naming objects in the room in my head. Always in a specific way, always in a specific order, because my Beast has learned to associate that with peace. It's a conditioned response, one that came about through my experiments. It was hard, and it hurt like a motherfucker. But every time I'm out there, relying on the Coil, I've got a method that I know will work. Trial and error with good notes got me there."

She shrugged.

"I'm putting together my plan for how I'm going to make myself malleable enough to overcome how the Beast separates me from mortals, but it's getting started with getting closer and closer to people to learn even more about how they change as stimuli are introduced. That's one of the reasons I re-upped my investigator's license, to have cover for that research. Immersion is easier that way. Anyway. Enough about me. How about you? I'd imagine you've probably got a much more formal approach than me."

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

Aaron is all ears when Lina starts to speak. He follows her logic, meaning that she really understands what she has been going through. He likes how it has one of their most basic practices, watching mortals, as a starting point. However, it seems that through self-reflection the study is developed to perfection.

Only after he is sure she is finished, he responds: 'I think probably some parts were more formal. However, as we progressed through time, my Sire also saw the opportunity to experiment with me. The approach has been entirely different, which makes sense of course with a different Coil. I do like how you use these katas, as you call them, to meditate differently.' He thinks back for a moment about her demonstration for the Alchemists.

'But it must be hell to go through so much frenzy. I surely would have gone insane. This Pavlov's Bell technique though, interesting to train your Beast to be something almost separate from yourself. Train it like a dog, control it like a dog. My Sire would have definitely loved this idea of conditioning...' As he says that, a question comes to mind, 'Your mentor was not your Sire, correct?'

'Mine thought he had found a way to immediately make me like learning the Coils. The first steps were to gain complete control over actual the blood in my body - before talking of a mental need. Naturally, this required a lot of blood. For nights in a row, he would have me feed until I could feed no more. I would burn through all my Vitae through various intimate physical activities with mortals. I would constantly be counterfeiting life. I would constantly be excelling in my activities, thanks to my constant enhancement. Then I would constantly end the rush with more Vitae, until I knew how it felt to push blood through every single vein in my body. I thought it would lead to my body literally being sick of all the blood, and wishing for it no more, but this was only the beginning. '

He smiles, to some extent they had the desired effect of getting Aaron to like his studies. Of course, it's not all pleasure.

'Because then came the hard part. Fasting. The hunger for Blood had to be replaced by a hunger for something else. One addiction for another. I started studying, a lot. The thirst for knowledge could consume a man as much as anything, apparently. He had hoped I could overcome my dependence on blood by practicing geomancy, and fill myself with Earthly energies instead. Every day I would partake in several ancient rituals. This way I could keep going on my frantic intellectual pursuits. Which concurrently served our overarching views on the meaning of Transcendence.'

Not feeling the need to go into detail at this point, Aaron pauses.

'This all until I was complete dried up. Perhaps only here our methods are somewhat similar. Once starving, I was presented with a vessel too. Except I could drink, but only a few drops. Not enough to serve as any real sustenance, but enough to taste the flavor. My days of studying were rewarded with more studying; of blood this time. Consequently, I constantly train myself that blood is not for survival, but can be a sport. I have learned to recognize the different flavors of mankind. It has given me the habit to feed often, but always just a little bit. During my time leading up to the actual change, all these steps would be repeated several times with increasing extremity. Until I had obtained a considerable amount of control and understanding.'
    This is only the first Coil he is talking about, after all.

3. Likes liked this post
    L
    Lina Moretti

Lina was engrossed in his explanation of how his Sire had taught him. Holy shit, had Aaron come by the love of lore honestly. "So you've replaced some of the craving for Vitae with a craving for knowledge? That's quite something. I had no idea you could train the form to do that, but I guess it about as much sense as applying classic conditioning to the Beast... and to be able to gain information from Blood is so cool. Is it just experience, like a sommelier picking out the last notes in a fine wine, or is it some supernatural insight...?"

She blinked at his question about if her Sire was her mentor. "You asked if my mentor was my Sire. No. My Sire is a monster of the worst kind, far more in tune with her dedication to her Goddess than with any interest in doing anything more with me than treating me like a toy. She's no Dragon. Her and her fucking blood is what drove me to the Ordo Dracul."

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

'That is the general idea behind it, the main motivator. To overcome this craving of our vampiric condition, a good first step is to satisfy it with something else. Of course, all the other physical training is what eventually made it possible to establish a real change in my body.' Aaron thinks about that moment for a second, which almost makes him shiver. Chrysalis is a scary thing.

Talking of blood and wine replaces those feeling with a proud glee. 'I think it is supernatural to the extent that humans would probably not be able to taste what I do. But other than that, it is exactly like wine tasting. It can be taught to others. Although I must admit, making feeding into a sport does not help you with getting to closer to people. Like what you wish to do, to overcome whatever separates us.'

The Dragon Lord is, clearly, completely fine with that.

'Goddess? She is an Acolyte?' It sounds like an obvious question, but not so to Aaron. He has heard of factions in different covenants that could be said to venerate Goddesses. 'Her blood? Some ritual that had a lasting effect?!'

Is that possible?

'Can I help?'

L
    Lina Moretti

"Mmm, yeah. Good thinking. Maybe I should leave being a blood taste-tester to you," she said with a laugh. "I should be immersing myself in their world, not sipping to figure out every kind of flavor, but that's still super handy and I am glad that your studies got you there. Maybe one day. Maybe when I'm looking into the Blood specifically." She smiled at him, resting her arms on the desk, but her visage fell dark as he asked about her Sire.

"She's an Acolyte. An Elder that I caught on camera once doing PI work looking into her ghoul, who had a wife who figured he was cheating on her." She smiled coldly, a thousand yard stare in her eyes as she looked past him. "You have no idea how right the wife was, but... I never made it out. The ghoul caught me, and tried to protect the First. I... yeah. I had a knife, and I used it. Long story short, I ended up as the replacement ghoul. Then her childe." She glanced down at her hands as she said it, like she was remembering something ugly.

"It wasn't a ritual. She's a member of a Bloodline with a peculiarity. Most Kindred don't age, but our line does, unless we embrace Torpor regularly and for a long time. It's a dream, but... I'm hoping that one day I can transcend that."

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

'Let me know, at any time, if you're interested. But as long as we're a team, I guess it won't be necessary. I asked Alessandra about Invictus blood tasting games, but it did not seem like she wanted to take any initiative towards organizing such an event. Naturally, I'm not going to be more Invictus than the whole bunch and push the matter more.' Aaron shrugs, he wanted to, though.

He listens to Lina as she explained more about her background. It seems like a tough story, nothing like Aaron's. He remains silent for a moment, she can see him thinking.

'I... I have heard of this. Most peculiar. Moretti! Erzsébet! It all adds up now.' What a terrible curse indeed. 'It is something so physical, I can understand your hope for the possibility. Did you choose the name Moretti? As part of the family? Even though you're clearly not fond of your Sire?'

The Lord's curiosity grows. He reminds himself he's talking to a friend though: 'If you don't mind me asking.'

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-08-20 08:34:50 Aaron van Valen rolls 9 to Recognize bloodline weakness (Int + Occ) (10 Again) 9, 7, 2, 7, 8, 7, 7, 7, 1 2 successes

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina stares off into space as Aaron discussed Invictus games that mattered little to her in this moment. She murmured a sound of agreement, then her eyes finally found him when he said it. Erzsébet. So it was. So he knew. Theirs was a small and unknown Bloodline of the Daeva, and she appeared surprised that he had known of it.

Of course he knew. Aaron knows everything.

"I did not choose the name," she said flatly. "When I was a ghoul, she made me change it. The Blood... you just do what you're told in that state." Moretti shuddered. "But it's stuck, so. There it is. I don't hate the rest of the line based on the sins of one bitch, though. I don't even hate being part of something. What I fear is that it will either age me until I am broken and withered and still alive, or that every few years, I will lose everything. All that I build, gone. All that I care for, gone due to the sleep that keeps me young."

Lina laughed bitterly, and the grudge within her that always peeked out was full and clear now.

"I don't even care about being pretty. I could live with growing old, at least so long as everything worked right. I just don't want to lose myself to the Sleep, only to wake up alone and without everything that made me me, you know?"

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

'Of course,' Aaron gives an understanding nod when Lina explains her name. 'A very rational fear. Though, the disadvantages of Torpor eventually have to be met by us all. It is just horrible that it comes so soon. There must be things that can be done.'

More realistically one could relieve the burden of torpor. To overcome such a curse cast on her blood?

Of course - that is what Dragons do.

The Lord attempts to sooth her somewhat with his words, but unfortunately he is not very empathetic. 'You don't have to lose everything. I can guard it while you're gone. You can have ghouls. You can... well there are possibilities.'

'Our Requiems span across ages, this is a fact. It is also why I chose to gather knowledge as my life's mission. My university job is very much there to get me some money. Aren't you what makes you you? With our path to transcendence. Your body and the way you changed it will not disappear over time. All Disciplines can be forgotten, but the Coils are secure.' He hopes that would be a relief, for the Grand Wyrm.

L
    Lina Moretti

"Well, I'm sure as shit planning to try to figure out a way to overcome it. Even if I've never heard of anybody doing it before. But before I can do that, I need to learn more basic shit and expand my knowledge. There is time. It's just not as infinite as others, which I take as motivation," she said honestly with a Moretti Shrug. She smiled bleakly at his attempts to comfort her. Taking care of her torpid ass? That was a big offer. "Nice of you, Aaron. But the biggest thing you can do? Work with me, and I'll do the same. Together, we'll get where we're going, one slow step at a time."

She resisted the urge to fishbump at that.

"At least there's the Coils. But I'm more worried about remembering who I am. I hear you lose bits in torpor. Memories, time. That sort of thing..."

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

'That's the right spirit.' Aaron wishes he could say he understands her, but does he really? For him, decades have gone by without a need for a break. He has experienced Torpor, but never involuntary for a really long time.

However, the recent loss of his Sire has been a dreadful way to realize that no one has eternity. Infinite is a concept he fails to comprehend, no matter how hard he thinks about it. He mirrors her weak smile: 'One slow step, Lina, we can do that.'

The conversation does not get more positive.

'Those are the things we lose anyway, I am afraid. The longest I have been in Torpor was exactly a hundred nights, simply to learn from it. Now that does not compare to years, and I believe I have not really fallen into the Fog of Eternity. But all those things you describe, I have forgotten them anyway. Did you know that, when alive, I was a simple man trying to get around: helping his father, who was a railroad construction worker. Yes, back when those were a novelty. I do not remember who I was back then, or even in the years after my Embrace. The only way I know this is from my own records. And,'
    he shrugs with a chuckle, hoping for a lighter tone, 'the fact that I have some biceps. They did definitely not get there from opening books.'

If stagnation has to be good for something...

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 15

You do not have permission to view the list of names.