DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

"Well... Okay. But I don't think we'll be doing this again. What is that?"

Tess replied as Aaron began his work. Rather than finish strapping the last few leads in place with duct tape, the peculiar little woman started following the Ventrue around the room, standing on tip-toe to get a better view. She gestured at the smart phone in his hands, drawing unfamiliarly close as she did so.

Little John grunted sourly... at the other two persons in the room.

"We waste time."

"That is a good plan," the giant's voice followed behind Lina as she made herself comfortable in a front room. "If you do that I'll check the grounds. Again." Now he sounded annoyed.

Lina will find no sign of danger. They are alone and the local inhabitants are safely inside their homes. No one is out or about.

As for Aaron: the use of alchemical symbols is a bit unusual but the layout reminds him of a poorly designed summoning ritual. The tripod and its metallic ball are definitely out of place; one would have thought they would be the cornerstone of the ritual architecture, not on the outer fringe of the layout.

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina nods to the giant as he goes, maintaining surveillance. When he gets back, Moretti said to Aaron, "All clear," and shuts down her heightened eyesight. "We good to go?"

I am ready when you are, DP.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

What is this, she asks. Where do these creatures even come from?

Aaron ignores the question, but lets Tess stay and look at him closely.

When he realizes that something is a little off about the setup, he waits with turning on his power bank. He turns to Tess, because with Little John out of the way for moment, he has a better chance of convincing her. 'Look, I think the tripod and the ball on top should be more central. Like this some of your alchemical energy will be wasted. If you align them more, let's say <here>, I think we could channel the Fire better. It will most likely be drawn to one of my crystals. Can we still move it? While you've already drawn some lines, the electrical cables will be perfect to actually connect some of those triangles.'

'Though that leaves those marks in the corner...'
    he does not feel like improvising some of the symbols, so he'd rather make only minor changes with a big effect. He thinks for a moment when Lina is already back. He only gives her a reassuring nod, before directing Tess again: 'What if you stand there, rather than the tripod. Then I take the controls, and we do this together. Dragon,' Aaron has forgotten Lina's code name, but he's clearly talking to her, 'you can then turn on the power from that corner.'

Can Aaron rearrange some of the stuff based on his knowledge from the last roll?
    I imagine some sort of triangle with 1) Aaron + laptop/theremin, 2) Tess (where tripod was) within its markings, 3) Lina with the duct tape mess and the power bank, in the middle the tripod and the crystals - among all the other signs that he will try to connect with all the cables that must be there.
    Do we roll? teamwork?

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Tess looks up at Aaron curiously.

"But I placed it over there for safety. To draw off the Flames' excesses and impurities. It would be... safer... than facing the terrible torment. Why? You think you can better contain the Flame if it was in the middle? I never thought of that. I only thought to draw the Flame from the scorch marks. And pass it through the wires here. Through the computer - I could try and talk to it - and then it would flow out through the tripod. Maybe do something with the ball, which was built by an Alchemist."

Evidently thinking, Tess paused before continuing.

"Can you really channel the Flame? It... I have heard that the Flame is fickle and temperamental. It does not work well with some... folk?"

Like your idea Dark Passenger . Lets go with it.

But first you will have to convince Tess...

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

()Willpower 1 Spent
    PRE

'Well, we will be summoning it here to a central point, yes. Since it is easiest to focus our energies to one point in between us. And rather than have it flow out through the tripod, I would prefer to have it flow in. Then the ball and my crystals can channel it first, to make sure that the computer is not overloaded with its energy. I see it as a necessary filtering of this raw source into something that we can comprehend.'

Aaron is continuously worried about the situation. Tess says "an Alchemist" as if it is not her or Little John, but then who else is involved? The Lord attempts to look very confident, but as everyone keeps on telling him how dangerous this is, doubt hits again.

But I can do this, I have to, for the Order.

'Mind you, I have met with it before.' That went really well. 'This time there is also the equipment here to help, and you. We can channel it together towards our devices. Besides, I'm not hurt easily.'

While he cannot maintain the usual reassured appearance, Aaron still believes his own reasoning. His arguments are still sound. If anything, the setup should definitely change. He looks up to Lina with a hopeful expression, she has a better way with words.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-08-17 20:02:36 Aaron van Valen rolls 8 to Look confident (Presence + Expression) (10 Again, WillPower) 7, 1, 4, 6, 5, 7, 5, 1 failure

6. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    L
    Lina Moretti

Aaron's presentation was underwhelming, so Moretti advanced into the gap. With easy confidence, Lina said, "You've come this far, and we've kept you covered. Todd's experienced. Put your trust in him - unless you're damn sure he's wrong?"

She leaves it hanging there. They've liked his ideas so far. Commit...

2 sux to persuade!
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-08-17 21:25:45 Lina Moretti rolls 7 to Believe in Aaron (Man + Pers + SL) (10 Again) 4, 10, 9, 3, 7, 1, 3, 4 2 successes

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Tess stands quite still for a moment before she begins rearranging the ritual components along the lines Aaron described.

"I have not attempted this before. So you may be right. I need to do this part alone, lest contamination occur."

When she has finished, the ritual is established to Aaron's design. She polishes the spherical metal device one more time with her breath and her ragged shirt and retreats to her corner. If anyone dared cared to look closely, the might have noted how the metal bauble appeared covered in a haze.

Date Action Roll Result
    2018-08-17 21:39:35 Tess to make to draw the Flame rolls 5 to Stamina + Occult + Speciality (10 Again) 7, 2, 10, 8, 7, 10, 9 4 successes

"You can begin now," she states flatly, her eyes fixed on the sphere.

Creaking floorboards hint at Little John's return from his patrol.

From Dark Passenger notes. I imagine some sort of triangle with 1) Aaron + laptop/theremin, 2) Tess (where tripod was) within its markings, 3) Lina with the duct tape mess and the power bank, in the middle the tripod and the crystals - among all the other signs that he will try to connect with all the cables that must be there.

All Lina Moretti Cross has to do is turn the power bank on. And then the Event will happen, no roll required.

If Aaron van Valen Dark Passenger wants to commune with the thing he will need to make an Intelligence + Occult roll capped by the Expression skill, with a -4 penalty.

If Lina Moretti wishes to do anything else, her actions will receive a -4 penalty as well.

What do you do?

L
    Lina Moretti

With a nod to the others, Lina flips the switch and readies herself for unexpected dangers...

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

(communication is key!)Willpower 1 Spent
    PRE

After a short nod to Tess, Aaron turns towards Lina. 'Let's do this.'

Oh fuck. Here we go.

Feeling more vulnerable than ever, the Dragon Lord awaits the unknown. But he is sure of his intentions, he has a clear purpose, and this gives him the courage to face whatever is coming.

Besides, how dangerous could the Fire really be?

He opens his mind and his Beast - just like last time - to whatever other sentient beings he could perceive. Only if he could establish a true connection, he would know what to say or think.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-08-18 21:33:26 Aaron van Valen rolls 5 to commune with the thing! (Int + Occ capped at 2 - 4) (10 Again, WillPower) 9, 8, 9, 2, 1 3 successes

Just waiting to see what is actually going to happen before I can know what to communicate.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Lina turns on the power.

Electricity hums in the air. It snaps and sparks from some of Tess's more crude connections.

At first nothing. Nothing more than the ridiculously cheery boot-up "ding" of the old laptop.

Then it comes.

At first there is simply a rush of air and a feeling of ever increasing air pressure. The house seems to groan in response as the old structure struggles to cope with a sudden redistribution of weight. The scorch marks that scour the room begin to flare, one by one, with blue light; each flare is a flame and each flame contributes to a conflagration that, growing, consumes the room in a fire that gives no heat, does not burn, and consumes nothing more than the scorch marks themselves.

The air grows thick. Hair stands on end as the thunder reruns - not overhead but emanating from the very ceiling, sending a rain of dust, wood fragments, and plaster down on their heads. Cross winds snag at clothing. The floor, complaining, rocks like the deck of a ship on a seething sea.

The laptop's media player activates, playing an unknown track it has suddenly accessed. From the computer bubbles a stream of language and music. After several attempts at matching the sounds with his theremin, the Ventrue manages to get a stream of communication in English.

The Dead seek to steal the hermits cave... The cave is the womb... The child is not yet born.

The Unclean and Lost One perform the symphony that must not be finished under the mountain with three peaks...

The Lover waits alone...

Run! They are coming!

The tripod glows in the glow of a fearsome flame. The metallic sphere dances within it, alternating between rusting away and beyond restored to shining newness. A discordant orchestra seems to strike up... from behind Aaron - as if he were its most accoladed star.

In the glare of the dancing flames crawling across the walls, the floor, the ceiling, Tess's skin tone alters completely to that of marble, or perhaps highly worked glass. Her tousled mop of hair is like a cheap wig, stuck fastidiously on something less than organic. The weirding glow reflects off her like a lamp, bouncing and flashing, adding to air of unreality. For her part, Tess appears not to care. She is laughing with glee.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread