"On September Twelfth, 2017, the defendant," Juris said, walking across the well of the courtroom to stand within feet of a short man with brown hair before pointing his finger aggressively at him, "Joseph Andrew killed Miranda Reid in cold blood." He paused, allowing the words to linger in the air for a moment, the members of the jury staring intently at him. "The defense would have you believe that it was all an accident. That when they argued he was just holding his gun and it...accidentally went off. Or wait, was it PTSD that caused the gun to fire?" His face screwed up into a look of skepticism.

"Now don't get me wrong," he said, slowly making his way back in front of the jury. "The defendant has no burden to prove anything. They can throw as many crazy ideas at the wall as they want, because it's the State of Georgia that has the burden to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt. But that doesn't mean," he added, gesturing towards his head, "that you check you common sense at the door. No. Because it's not beyond all doubt. It's beyond a reasonable doubt. A doubt based in common sense and reason. Not vague. Not arbitrary. Because none of us here can know the true mind of the accused. All we can do is look at all the facts, and all the evidence, and decide if you have a reasonable doubt. And you know," he said, pointing at the jury, "that when this defendant pointed his gun at Miranda, he did it, not on accident, but to maliciously cause her death. There is no reasonable doubt."

"Congratulations. Guilty again. You must be proud," said an older man with obviously dyed black hair.

Juris offered the man a friendly smile. "Thanks, but you know I don't really find much pleasure in sending people to prison Carl. I'm just glad I got justice for the Reid family."

"Yeah, yeah Charlie," Carl said with a laugh, patting Juris on the pat. "Good job anyway. Go get a drink and relax, you earned it. And we're going to miss you when you're gone." With that he turned away, leaving Juris alone in the courtroom.

Guilty. But of course they'd come back guilty. Juris wasn't one of those prosecutors that counted his wins, but he did care about justice. Because they lived in a world of laws and those laws weren't meant to be broken. He wanted order, and justice was order. He would follow the rules, of course. Cheating was another form of chaos and he could not abide that. But his time bringing justice and order to Georgia was over. He was heading out to California, hopefully to continue his work.