THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

Aaron fails to see why it was necessary for him to be a gentleman. It has little to do with being a good teacher. However, he would like to think of himself as having some gentlemanly sides, so there's no need to discuss the matter any further. Before the conversation got even more confusing.

'Interesting enough. I mean, I don't see the removal of this threat as a goal in itself. Rather, it is a means to be able to continue my studies in peace. But that makes me all the more motivated. And Sacramento seems to have enough perks to make me want to stay here.' Besides, trouble is everywhere.

He smiles, Clara wants to play this game, it's fine. 'I'll be satisfied with that answer then, for now. It's always good to make friends.'

He shrugs then, 'I don't see it that way, to be honest. I'll be dedicating my time in teaching you a Discipline, while I don't even know if I get any good return on my investment. Surely you have the advantage there. It is simply so that right here and now in Court,' after all, she did surprise him with the matter, 'I do not yet know how you could aid my personal goals. But I'll promise I think about it.'

'Do you have a job, Miss Verne? Anything... mundane, so to say?'
    Unless she got her income from any supernatural means. Now that ​would be interesting.

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

H: 5'8"
    Misc: speaks with a light French accent

+1
    SL
    PRE

Aaron was a puzzle. "You play the long game," she said in response to his desire to study in peace.

She smiled at his response about Prestation. It had the scent of truth about it. "Apologies for the ambush. I honestly didn't think the Priscus of Clan Ventrue would make time so readily for me. I'm flattered, really--though not so flattered as to put myself in your debt without a second thought. I'd prefer immediate payment." Too often she'd seen Neonates, Ancilla, and even Elders undone by the currency of the Damned. Prestation is a heavy coin, and not one Clara traded in frivolously. "And I thank that you'll consider the matter and favor my friendship can offer you. I'm nothing if not patient."

She smiled at his question. "What I do you might like, actually. Though it's tedious, hurts my eyes, and yes: it's mundane. Lots of reading old ledgers and wills and statements. I manage my Father's estate, with no small amount of compensation." She laughed derisively as she finished answering. "He was awful when it came to book-keeping, so it's a full-time occupation just untangling the mess."

Aaron was a puzzle. Which question would make the pieces fall into place? "Tell me, Priscus van Valen...were you to know everything about me, have me laid bare as it were, would you be satisfied? Or would you move on to the next mystery?" His questions were probing and inoffensive, sure. Though Clara had to wonder if they stemmed from a deeper curiosity and if she was just a small offering to his insatiable hunger for knowledge.

3. Likes Dark Passenger liked this post

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

The Lords nods to confirm her statement, 'Indeed. It is what has gotten me this far.' He smiles then.

'A smart choice really. Too bad for me, maybe. Though... I probably rather have a witty future friend than that one Boon from a naive fledgeling.'
    Something Clara clearly is not.

Though her occupation raises a few more questions. He can only assume that her Father in this case is her Sire. 'I don't really have a financially focused mind, but I do find tedious bookkeeping an exciting challenge. Old wills can hold many surprises. There are definitely worse things to do for a living.' Aaron shrugs a little. No skills he could personally use. Maybe with a dozen more Dragons he could use a good bookkeeper. That would be a wonderful situation for many reasons.

'I might be, it depends on what I find.'
    Asking about a person's occupation is maybe the nr. 1 thing Kine do. As if there is nothing more to a person. But in here the Dragon is apparently being too inquisitive. Maybe it's his phrasing? He knows he's really not the most subtle man around. 'Though I'm not quickly bored. I can hold on to a good thing. Of course, I'm always on the lookout for newer mysteries. Someone needs to do the solving. That is my job. I always have to be looking for something or someone that can aid my goals. But what we are doing now is entirely different. I'm just curious, for example - if the estate is anywhere near here? Is that your reason for moving here? - but I'm not demanding any answers.' He states it so matter-of-factly that it sounds like he could start doing so any moment, but a friendly look in his eyes also shows he's just enjoying this Courtly game.

5. Likes Riks liked this post

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

She couldn't find a double entendre in his words. Whether she was disappointed or pleasantly surprised she couldn't quite surmise. "Probably definitely maybe," she said imitating Aaron's expressionless voice. Though her smile at the end intimated it was a small jest. "I can see you've also gotten ahead with caution."

"You wouldn't believe how many surprises. Only when people are good and dead do they let all the clutter of grudges and slights out of their hearts. Honestly I don't even need any novel to keep me company. Just perusing a random Will's preface is enough to stimulate."

She pouted playfully at his answer. "Not bored? What's that like?" Her words had drawn her a respectable distance from Aaron. Which, for Clara, might be compared something akin to respecting personal space as kine go on about. "What are we doing now, Priscus van Valen? Checking my teeth as a possible friend...or just scratching a curiosity itch?"

A Lord not demanding his needs be met. Will Wonders never cease. "The estate is not in any one place, Priscus van Valen. And I didn't come here for anything is petty as money." She then closed the space between them to whisper up into his ear, like she couldn't decide what was more comfortable. "I'm here because Sacramento is a pretty cage. Because the road had me weary. And I just like pretty things. And you? Why put in the work of establishing your Order in a place you have no roots? I'd never demand, understand, but I think you'd like to answer all the same."

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

Aaron softly laughs, 'Well Court demands a certain caution, don't you think?' He looks around quickly, it is mostly the case, except for maybe John Davis... looking like a drowned harassed rat. 'And I feel like all words can be measured and weighed, in different context everything can be interpreted right or wrong - whatever those terms may mean. How can I know anything for certain?' He almost sounds frustrated.

'I can imagine all the drama. But also all the things left to others. Mysterious objects once owned that you did not even know existed - given away.' Antique jewelry and scriptures, Aaron had messed minds up over less.

When she pouts, his expression turns quasi-sour, 'Really exhausting actually. I don't even know how to be bored.' It would be such a waste of precious time. This conversation is the opposite. 'Definitely not a curiosity itch, as you call it, which I had set on someone else. It is a possible friendship - given we already have a friend in common.'

And there is still the Boon issue, obviously.

Then the Daeva comes close again, but this time the Lord is prepared. He remains standing entirely still, lowering his voice only a little bit. 'Because my enemies came from the East, I decided to go West. Far enough, until I found a place that was peaceful enough. And it is pretty, isn't it? And so full of unclaimed treasure. Every city needs an Academy. I feel obliged to see if there's nothing here that can support the Ordo's cause.'

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara's eyes were focused on John for the moment. Then on Doctor Simmons' public lashing of the man. She was momentarily grateful that the Lord couldn't see where her eyes were with the two whispering into each other's ears. She wasn't focusing on his words but said, "Court is the most dangerous place to misstep."

She re-focused herself and took a moment before responding. As Aaron had said, Court was for caution, even if you thought you were having fun playing at a Danse. "You're insatiable. Treasure, knowledge, friendship." His allusion to shared friends gave Clara reason to believe he might be speaking of Lina. "But you've yet to say something tangible you really want. Or maybe I haven't picked up on it?" She left the question hanging but didn't emphasize the inflection. It didn't need answering.

The image of John leaving Court abruptly last time was fresh on Clara's mind as she asked, "I'm curious, your thoughts on my cousin, Alder Davis?"

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

Insatiable. Yes.

'You already understand me to my core, Miss Verne. Indeed I am.' Aaron softly laughs again. 'Which makes it harder to differentiate between one desire and the other. You have not missed anything, I will tell you as soon as I know.'

Even though he has many desires, the Lord has no need to chase them mindlessly. Except that one. Blood. Naturally.

'Let me elaborate on that...'

Then he turns to face Court for just a moment.

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Everyone wants to feel understood. To be understood invited the deep unpleasantness of not being able to hide behind a damn thing. Something Clara said might have struck a chord with Aaron. Or he might be pulling her along.

"Insatiable, but picky." She said in a breathy whisper. It would have been a simple thing to have taken on a Boon from the Dragon Lord and leave it at that. This had been a bit more illuminating.

She observed Aaron's words towards Alder Davis and turned to speak her peace to the Court at large. For what it's worth, Davis seemed calm. That was worth looking into later. The Bacchante then turned to face the Ventrue Priscus. She was still a hair's breadth from him. "Well let it never be said you straddle fences. Thank you for your time and indulging me...will that be all?"

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

Straddle fences, no. It was not like Aaron felt like he had to give Davis another proverbial punch in the face. But speaking up in Court like that - like Rebecca had done - was just as inappropriate. As Priscus, he does find it necessary that his Whip feels supported in her decisions.

'Of course. Thank you for coming to me.'
    It has been very interesting. In the end, he thinks Clara might have learned more about him than vice versa. She is still quite a figure. But like she said, a mystery to uncover.

He gives her a respectful nod, 'Until another time, Miss Verne.'

12. Likes Riks liked this post

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara returned the Dragon Lord's nod with a curtsy.

"The pleasure was all mine, Priscus van Valen."

Clara returns to the main thread.
    Thanks for the quick thread, Dark Passenger. It was fun!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread