Ended
Watch

Bodega Burnout

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    B
    Billy Jones

It's pretty damn hot out, today. Perfect weather for a nice, frosty treat. But not everyone can afford to be up-charged 200% for a brand name. That's where little shops like this one come in. That's also where a young man completely dusted with ash comes in. No one seems to notice. He smiles, with his freckled nose wrinkling and eyes like smoldering coals. People smile back. He's just here for ice cream. Apparently.

The young man stoops down by the freezer section and scans the shelves. Most of the selection are family-sized tubs of bargain brand ice cream, but a small selection of pints can also be seen. He reaches for the handle, slick with condensation, but hesitates before opening it. Moments later he opens the door adjacent and grabs a pint of chocolate. His hand leaves a smudge of grey-black that disappears into nothing moments later. No one notices.

Distinctive Voice
    (Disquieting)
    Striking Looks
    (Nonpareil)
    Presence
    (Smoldering)
    Mantle
    (Candlelight)
    Lucifer

Mask
    Lucifer's alien beauty is almost cruel, the eye moving uncomfortably from one monstrously perfect feature to the next.

Mien
    Lurking beneath the alien beauty of the mask is the echo of the grotesque. Cruel teeth hide behind plush lips, goat eyes glitter beneath long lashes, ears are twisted into points, with skin the color of curdled milk.

+2
    SL
    +1
    DV
    PRE

Lucifer, the Morning Star, aspired to rule the Freehold, for the space of a season. One season a year, and yet, she was not accustomed to money. She knew to hoard it, to carefully count it, to savor every bit of it so that, should there be need, it would not have disappeared. So it was that Lucifer, too, found herself wandering into the bodega for ice cream.

She paused, however, when she saw the soot blackened man-child. She didn't recognize him. Had never seen this Gatsby-novel runaway in the freehold before, and instantly, felt the blood begin to quicken in her veins. Feet slid out of heels, 'no shoes-no service' be damned, and her hand slid into her purse, curling around a small cylinder that lent some steel to her spine.

"Who," Lucifer demanded, slowly approaching the stranger, "are you?"

Equipment: Mace/Pepper Spray
    Lucifer. Fairest: Shadowsoul/Illes, Pres 4 (Smoldering), SL 4 (Nonpareil), Distinctive Voice 2 (Disquieting). Autumn Mantle 1 (Candlelight reflecting in her eyes).
    Pledges: Dignitaries Vow

3. Likes liked this post
    B
    Billy Jones

Taken aback, the young man pauses mid-step. He takes stock of the woman in front of him with his smoldering eyes. This beautiful but haunting woman with the eyes of a goat. Despite himself, he swallows hard before speaking.

"I'm... Billy?"
    The uncertainty in his voice makes it sound like he isn't entirely sure of that. "Listen..." he says, holding a hand up in a gesture of submission. "I'm just here for some ice cream. Look, see?" He rocks the pint of chocolate back and forth in the other hand. Even with that, he inches a step backwards from the Autumn Fairest.

It takes him a second, but he eventually doubles back - this time on the offensive. "Who're you? One of those... you know..." His brow furrows and he takes a step back towards her direction. The finger of his free hand makes an accusatory point in her direction. "Who sent you?"

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

(Harden Mask)Glamour 1 Spent
    +1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes wandered the streets of Sacramento. Somewhere, within this city, was the target he hoped to find. The Fetch that stole his life. His Durance had made him cold, like the Fair courtiers he had been forced to try and comprehend. But here was a chance to start anew, and to do that he needed a haven, secure and concealed... and in the Hedge.

No-one said finding a Hollow would be easy... he thought to himself as he finished looking over another door that had, pitifully, turned out to be merely another door. Rounding the corner to a row of low-end shops, he saw the last thing he expected - A tall, elegant Fairest, stunningly beautiful, strolling into the nearest shop.

Sidling up the street and peering through the window, he also caught sight of a charcoal-covered teenager arguing with her, though he could only catch the tale-end of his response, "Who sent you?". Who indeed? Rhodes felt the glamour suffuse with his Mask, solidifying the illusion, and moved closer, trying to stay inconspicuous to the couple and hoping the chill wind of his mantle wouldn't give him away.

2 successes

Date Action Roll Result
    2018-07-16 08:21:47 Rhodes rolls 5 to Sneaking (Dex + Stealth) (10 Again) 8, 4, 2, 9, 3 2 successes

Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

6. Likes , Cayce liked this post

Distinctive Voice
    (Disquieting)
    Striking Looks
    (Nonpareil)
    Presence
    (Smoldering)
    Mantle
    (Candlelight)
    Lucifer

Mask
    Lucifer's alien beauty is almost cruel, the eye moving uncomfortably from one monstrously perfect feature to the next.

Mien
    Lurking beneath the alien beauty of the mask is the echo of the grotesque. Cruel teeth hide behind plush lips, goat eyes glitter beneath long lashes, ears are twisted into points, with skin the color of curdled milk.

+2
    SL
    +1
    DV
    PRE

Lucifer flinched when the ash covered boy thrust his finger at her, her bare feet practically skidded over the Bodega's cheap linoleum floor, her hand half rising from inside her purse. Nostrils flaring, an unmistakable tremor entering her limbs as adrenaline began to flood through her. Yet, this was her Freehold, and she would be Queen here! This was but a boy!

Marshalling what remained of her courage, Lucifer straightened her spine and began to speak.

"I mean you no harm, nor hindrance, if the same is true of you. Vow this to me and we will gain a greater understanding of the other. Cross my heart and hope to die, until this time next year," the shadowed beauty declared, her free hand scratching an X over her heart.

It was inelegant, but it was a pledge she had had to craft on the fly. Should he not accept it, however...Well, she had a plan for that, too.

1 success, Rhodes too sneaky
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-07-17 01:02:10 Lucifer rolls 4 to Perception (wits3+comp1) (10 Again) 1, 8, 1, 7 1 success

DIGNITARY'S VOW:
    Task: Lesser Alliance -1
    Boon: Lesser Adroitness (Empathy) +1
    Sanction: Death -3
    Duration: Year and a Day +3
    Lucifer. Fairest: Shadowsoul/Illes, Pres 4 (Smoldering), SL 4 (Nonpareil), Distinctive Voice 2 (Disquieting). Autumn Mantle 1 (Candlelight reflecting in her eyes).

8. Likes liked this post
    B
    Billy Jones

The ashen young man drops his finger and raises a brow, but no longer tries to press. Eventually, he nods once and mimics the heart-crossing motion. "Fine. I vow the same. Cross my heart and hope to die." The last bit comes out sounding practiced. Like something he's said many times before.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-07-17 18:49:10 Billy Jones rolls 6 to Wits + Comp (10 Again) 8, 6, 7, 7, 9, 8 3 successes

Billy takes a breath, preparing to speak, but quickly clams up. He jerks his head in the direction of a man nearby. One who looks like he's trying to avoid notice. "We've got company..."

OOC, Xadun

Billy agrees and enters the pledge. Feel free to add Lucifer's entry to the Pledge page.

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Fairest before him is easy to avoid, but as the soot-covered teenager nods in his direction, Rhodes sighs heavily. Holding his hands out peacibly, he moves from behind the shelving and moves slowly towards the couple, staying several feet away.

"My my, what keen eyes you have," he says mockingly to the teenager, his own verdantly green eyes flicking between the two. "Now. I really don't mean to intrude. But I am new to the city, and more than a little... Lost. And I thought that you," Rhodes addresses the beautious Fairest, "might be able to help me. But I fear we have each encountered more than we bargained for. We should discuss things somewhere a little more private. Wouldn't you both agree?" His voice is smooth.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-07-18 05:26:49 Rhodes rolls 6 to Manipulation: Manip 4 + Persuade 2 (10 Again) 6, 6, 6, 9, 1, 3 1 success
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

Distinctive Voice
    (Disquieting)
    Striking Looks
    (Nonpareil)
    Presence
    (Smoldering)
    Mantle
    (Candlelight)
    Lucifer

Mask

Mien

+2
    SL
    +1
    DV
    PRE

Lucifer stared at the...strangely un-flowered man for a moment, the look in her eyes clearly showing just how much she would have preferred to mace him. But there was hardly a reason. Yet. His coded introduction, after all, seemed to confirm that this was who Lucifer thought it was.

"Very well," Lucifer replied, "let us purchase our ice cream and then go find a quiet place in a park to eat it. Somewhere public, but without so many ears. Grab me another thing of chocolate, Billy. I'll pay."

B
    Billy Jones

The young man frowns a little, at first. Then nods to Rhodes. He grins with almost childlike enthusiasm at Lucifer's suggestion.

"Alright, sure." The ashen lad returns to the freezer and grabs another pint of chocolate.

As he waits for Lucifer to complete the purchase, he eyes Rhodes dubiously. "So you just happened across us here? How long were you following me?" The coals of his eyes pulse a bright orange with his accusation, but he soon deflates. The sight of the pint of chocolate all but erases any lingering look of suspicion.

Billy leads them both out and away from the bodega, casting glances back and forth until he locates a quiet-looking alleyway. He jerks his head in its direction and leads the two of them over. He unwraps a plastic spoon and eagerly digs into the ice cream, talking in-between and around mouthfuls. "So... mmph. You boff are wike me, huh? What-er... yer namesh?" He wipes a small trickle of chocolate off his face with the back of his wrist. "And how long ago did you get out? I've only been back a few days and I couldn't keep myself from some ice cream. It's been... years. Haven't had it since I was a kid."

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mantle

Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Rhodes casts an eye around to ensure they are far enough away from anyone else before replying. He stays a few feet away from Lucifer, noting how jumpy she is. "Actually, it wasn't you I noticed, but this fine lady. You are very hard to miss, my dear, which has it's pros and cons when out and about." Rhodes says to Lucifer, inclining his head to the Fairest before looking back at the teenager. "I wasn't following you. That isn't to say no-one was..." Rhodes' smile is cold as the Autumn Fairest looks Billy over, letting the edge of suspicion lace his voice, trying to spot any hints of deceit. Hardly out of the woods yet. Did you escape, or be let loose? The Flowering courtier wished his Mantle would kick up a chill breeze for atmosphere, but sighed.

2 successes, because NPCs lie sometimes!
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-07-21 19:58:36 Rhodes rolls 8 to Spotting the truth: Wits + Empathy + spec = 8 (10 Again) 6, 10, 3, 8, 2, 1, 4, 6, 3 2 successes

"But introductions, of course. My dear lady, and freshly returned friend, my name is Rhodes, and yes, insofar as I can make out, you are like me, although I very much doubt the same Seeming." Rhodes is thoughtful. "But you must also understand our caution. You where you are now, yes? Where you have been? We would hate for you to have been... pursued as you made your way back to Sacramento." He turns to Lucifer. "And you, my dear. You are clearly familiar wth the locale. May I take it you are a resident of this city?"

14. Likes Cayce liked this post
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 29

You do not have permission to view the list of names.