(Confident)
    Contacts
    (Street, Clubs)
    Primal Urge
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Rhodes

Rhodes Scenes

Angular features, pointed ears. His jet-black hair bursts into bright red flowers and fine dark leaves about his ears forming a wreath of firey foliage that trailed just below his shoulders. Thin woody vines broached and twined across his milky-white skin, with leaves and budding flowers breaking into bloom at his cuffs.

Hedgespun coat - darkest thunderclouds, broiling and writhing, occasionally flashing as if lighting was happening on the other
    Phoenyx

Phoenyx Scenes

Nimbus: Scarlet flames rising out from her like giant sperading wings, and the sound of an eagle's screech.

So, I was mulling over how the Ritual skill, Rites, and harmony all work in conjunction, as I was planning on building this up for Emily.

The problem I see is that certain Rites require such a high number of Successes, even stacking bonuses makes them very difficult to pull off. Case in point - Rite of Contrition. It's interesting for Spirit RP but even a rank 2 spirit requires 20 successes. Under usual circumstances Emily has Harmony 7, so she gets 7 rolls of 7 dice, 49. Already this is more than the expected number of successes on that many dice.

Even some of the easier bonuses (Dalu, near a locus) only bump this up to (9*7) 63 dice, making anything that is 10 successes per rank really challenging to pull off (unless the bonuses add to the number of times you can roll for a rite as well in which case their's actually less of an issue). Unless you spend time clawing up the Harmony Ladder, which is kinda hard in a lot of ways.

Rituals are a big part of the Uratha and how they interact with the spirit (IMO). I know this has always been a bit of a problem with RAW Rituals. But in PbP, I would have thought no-one really wants go through reams of code of my ritual rolls for something that can (a lot of the time) only formalizes something IC that's roleplayed out, a la Rite of Dedication. So I thought, rather than get myself in a knot about rituals, and numbers, I thought I'd throw this out to see what people thought.

Would having certain rites be enough to hand-wave certain things in the interests of expedience for PbP? Would people want to pull off RAW rites each time? I just thought it might be good to ask before splashing out on rites Emily won't realistically pull off a lot of the time.
    "Why? Why? Why? WHY?"
    "Four excellent questions!"
    Martin Kreefe and Douglas Richardson, Cabin Pressure

2. Likes Ruach liked this post

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

Alrighty sorry for the late response, i saw this last night but was not really cognizant enough to think on it.

I think that certain rituals could be handwaived for the actual rolls, Branding, Dedication (if you want, an exceptional success gives you a free "item spot" for what you are dedicating so it doesn't count against your PU), Shared Scent. Probably some others

For longer rituals, I don't think that performing them fully in scene is necessary. They could be incorporated into the first post to show time that has passed or if they do happen in a scene the scene could jump forward during the time taken. The extended roll rituals are probably something you'd want to have a plan around. Either to drop right when a scene opens "The pack has spent the last few minutes/hours watching over their Crescent who is working on calling down a rainstorm to hide their attack." then the rain storm kicks in and the scene gets going.

I'm not looking to lay down rules with this post, just getting my thoughts out there. What do you think?

4. Likes Ruach, Xadun, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Presence
    (Confident)
    Contacts
    (Street, Clubs)
    Primal Urge
    Emily Makerith

Emily Makerith Scenes
    Rhodes

Rhodes Scenes

Angular features, pointed ears. His jet-black hair bursts into bright red flowers and fine dark leaves about his ears forming a wreath of firey foliage that trailed just below his shoulders. Thin woody vines broached and twined across his milky-white skin, with leaves and budding flowers breaking into bloom at his cuffs.

Hedgespun coat - darkest thunderclouds, broiling and writhing, occasionally flashing as if lighting was happening on the other
    Phoenyx

Phoenyx Scenes

Nimbus: Scarlet flames rising out from her like giant sperading wings, and the sound of an eagle's screech.

Hey just a sense of feeling is fine. Gives me an idea of how to work things with new Rites to pick up. Thanks for your thoughts, Kelreth.
    "Why? Why? Why? WHY?"
    "Four excellent questions!"
    Martin Kreefe and Douglas Richardson, Cabin Pressure

6. Likes Ruach liked this post
    M
    MrGrieves

I'm also interested in the ultimate ruling, here. I was specifically curious about how we'd handle one Rite in particular (healing); If it were post-combat, do we have to roll it out?

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

The Healing Rite would need to be rolled yes, particularly if/when aggravated damage is being healed.

Closed Thread