Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

By The Water's Edge

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Takeda Katsumi

Curse: Sakki (The projected Intent to Kill)

NOS
    PRE

Friendship? Why did Niamh assume that Katsumi had been requesting friendship? This was not like the days spent in the school yard, or even the thrilling nights roaming through neon washed streets in adolescent rebellion, where a single gesture could bind them together.

"I was speaking of a formal alliance,"
    Katsumi clarified, the brief flashes of memory giving an edge to her voice. "A bond that is formed between two parties for their mutual benefit. It could be something as simple as an assurance that neither of us will act against the interests of the other, or we could specify that a favor is owed to each of us. That way, all expectations are clear, and should we decide that we do not wish to pursue anything more, then there will be an end in sight. If we should decide the opposite, nothing is preventing us from doing so."

Katsumi paused for a beat, and then held up her hand forestalling an answer from Miss Fox. "Do not answer in haste, please. Think on it as I tell you my story. The night is still young. There will be time for your answer later. For now, please, join me."

The bushi gestured to the sand beside her and then waited to see whether Miss Fox would sit or whether she would merely move closer. Or perhaps not even that. Truly, it didn't matter. Mostly, Katsumi just desired a few moments more to gather her center as she considered what story she was going to tell. Finally, however, she decided to simply borrow the words that her Sire had shared with her.

"Almost four hundred years ago, in the season where Amaterasu's reign was felt by the lowliest of peasants and the mightiest of lords, a samurai rode through the hamlet that lay on the edge of his territory. The people lived in poverty, many starving even though they were responsible for butchering all of the meat. The samurai's heart was that of a demon, and when his eyes fell upon one of the butcher's daughters, his hate and lust was inflamed. The atrocities that followed are too numerous to name, though it ended in fire and blood. The father of the murdered daughter vowed that he would seek vengeance against the samurai and all of his descendants, on and on through the ages, unless they proved themselves to be pure. He called upon the foulest magics that he could and the most reviled knowledge in his quest for vengeance, and one night when even Tsukiyomi hid his pale, luminous face, the father found a way to enact his revenge. He became a Kindred, and he preyed upon the ancestors of the samurai for centuries. The samurai was my ancestor."

Katsumi found that she could not continue the story, a bloodthirsty killer though she may be. Hopefully, the water demon would just assume that she had fallen silent to allow for comments, or for artful effect.
    Takeda Katsumi. Given Name: Katsumi. Nosferatu, Invictus.

2. Likes liked this post

Niamh Sionnaigh
    Presence
    (On The Periphery)
    Lilting Irish Accent
    Blood Potency
    Staus
    (Criminals)
    Allies/Contacts
    (Street)
    Niamh Sionnaigh

Unbound Gangrel

PRE

"That I understood, I was only-" Niamh began only to stop as Takeda's hand raises.

The blond's brows climb as the Asian women invited her closer. A test? For herself or for Niamh? The difference of their blood apparent, for The Haunt, the test was to withstand the demon bound and hiding with guiless muddy waters. For Niamh, the trail was twofold. Takeda's weakness ever provoking the demon within, and the clear murderous intent, a taunt. That had her blood calling, crowing rushing and raging to rend her head from her shoulders.

There have been many in her unlife that she wished to kill and did not, and so the savage joins the haunt on the sand. Pausing only to kick off her shoes. The feel of the sand under her ties brings a smile to her face. Which falls as the women tells her tale.

Niamh's lips part, then press back together. Her head shakes, imagining the fear and horror...

...the thought of having children, only to centince them to death at the hands of a monster.

The 'pure' might be spared, but Niamh knew a grief driven kindred's heart and knew that everyone sinned.

"I assuming you're telling me this because this samurai..?" she tries the word and mislikes it in her mouth, "Still seeks you even if you've already died. A shadow over whichever alliances you might form."
    Health: | Willpower: | Vitae:

Takeda Katsumi

NOS
    PRE

To tell such a personal story, to give voice to the essence of her history, and then to have those words be misunderstood was…Well, whatever it was, it was not Miss Fox's fault, and Katsumi forced her irritation, shame, and lingering grief to quiet, if not calm.

“Forgive me, I must have translated poorly,” Katsumi admitted with a grimace. It was entirely possible that, even if her linguistic translation had not been faulty, her cultural translation was most likely inefficient.

“Allow me to begin again,”
    she said, next, her eyes falling back upon the smooth river of black silk and drew upon its tranquility as she crafted her tale once more.

"The history of my country does not sleep. It is not found in the stone ruins beneath our cities, or in the covered bones of our dead; it lives in the way we prepare our tea, it breathes with every bow, it flows from temples to board rooms. Hundreds of years ago, my ancestors were samurai, a caste of military nobility that ruled the land. However, just as there are birds that soar in the sky, so too must there be worms grubbing in the dirt. Those were the burakumin, the butchers, gravediggers, tanners, and latrine cleaners, those who were thought to be tainted by death and so impure that they weren't even people. A samurai could kill one burakumin, or an entire village, and the only concern would be where to find more.

My ancestor exploited this, and my Sire was one of his victims, but he was one that did not die. Instead, he became one of the Kindred, and stalked my family through the centuries. Even to this night, I do not know to what extent he shaped our lives. I had two older brothers, once, though I cannot say if they were murdered, or if their deaths were accidents. That I cannot say. All that I can tell you is that my family never gave up the sword. The art of murder was passed down from father to son, until at last there were no more sons, and so my father taught me. It was only once I used what I had been taught that my Sire came for me, and that is when my family lost their only daughter."

Ten years had passed since she had been Embraced, and yet she found herself, in that quiet moment by the river, her story told, that she found herself wondering what had happened to her parents. Her Sire had left Japan with her, no doubt imagining that her family line had finally been ended, and so her parents had been freed of their demon. What had they done, now that they were free?

5. Likes liked this post

Niamh Sionnaigh
    Presence
    (On The Periphery)
    Lilting Irish Accent
    Blood Potency
    Staus
    (Criminals)
    Allies/Contacts
    (Street)
    Niamh Sionnaigh

Unbound Gangrel

PRE

"No your words were fine, I'm-I apologize for assuming." Niamh says, as Takeda gathers herself again.

Niamh listens, ears keen to hear what she might face missed and eyes focused on the slight women, as the tale begins again.

"You were killed by your families curse...Embraced...as a warning? A pain to your family? More children mean they are dead but never die*....,I can see how that would be a pain. But, forgive I've made another assumption." Niamh says initially, "Boo-raa-ka-min?" she butchers on her tongue, "Those touched by death...is that a-umm-shame upon your bloodline because of your sire's liviving existence? Is that why you need to clarify?" she asks, clearly confused. "If we were in Japan would our acosiation be colored because it?"

7. Likes , Cayce liked this post

Takeda Katsumi

NOS
    PRE

"Yes," Katsumi replied abruptly, the word intended to convey all that she wished to say upon the matter, though as soon as the word fell from her tongue she relented. Miss Fox was paying her respect by asking such an astute question, and it would be disrespectful not to answer it fully in return.

"As Kindred, we are obsessed with blood. For many, that obsession is found in their devotion to preserving the purity of favored bloodlines. In life, my bloodline was that of famous nobility. For the oldest of Kindred, being a descendant of the legendary Tiger of Kai would have made me a prized possession. To be embraced by a creature of such unimaginable filth, however, even in the eyes of modern Kindred, makes me an embarrassment at best and an abomination at worst.

"Thankfully," Katsumi qualified, a note of wry bitterness in her voice, "I never had to experience this. When I rose as a Demon on the path to hell, it was here, in this country. My Sire had been forced to leave Japan and, for his final act of revenge before he left, he chose to embrace me and take me with him to act as his servant and to help him gain new holdings in this new land. In many ways I resented this, though in others I was relieved. But now my Sire is gone, and that is why I am here, on the sand beside you."

Katsumi paused momentarily, then turned her murderously stained gaze back to Niamh. "It seems that we have both reasons to hate our Sires, don't we?"

9. Likes liked this post

Niamh Sionnaigh
    Presence
    (On The Periphery)
    Lilting Irish Accent
    Blood Potency
    Staus
    (Criminals)
    Allies/Contacts
    (Street)
    Niamh Sionnaigh

Unbound Gangrel

PRE

Niamh knows it's inappropriate but she can't help but release a chuckle, "We're more alike then you realize." she starts, muddy waters willingly meeting their opposite but murderous counterpart.

"Long ago, and I mean long by anyone's reckoning, well, anyone alive's, my blood was that of kings. For survival, my family...assimilated. Anglicized thier name, and kept the stories alive from parent to child. I was born Nieve," she says, it sound blunt and inelegant, "Doyle...which became Richards when I married." She smiles, bit it quickly fades, "And just as your sire's blood shames you, mine shames me. For different reasons, aye. But reasons all the same.

"Many assume when I tell them of my Embrace in the frozen waters if the North Atlantic as the Titanic sank that my sure was a passenger. He wasn't."
    The water fox struggles to continue. This admittance went against every single survival instinct she had, but if they were to strive for an alliance it needed to be built on something and if not friendship, then shared shame. Or mutually assured destruction.

"There is a lineage of Gangrel that thrive in the water. The Mara. Worshiping a Drowned Goddess. Their's are the rites of blood and death. When a hurricane comes and destroys a city, they come with it.

"They are inhuman. Killing all who come into their waters.

"As hundreds died, froze and drowned, they sacrificed many, including my son. Then Embraced me, his blood still on their fangs.

"Politely, they call me apostate. Though most often it is blasphemer, or heretic."
    her eyes had turned to the river, memories bubbling up and she knows her narrative had probably gotten lost along the way. "When I surfaced, I chose my name. In the old forms. Not quite right. So I didn't steal the living's legacy, but close enough that it warms whatever's left of my heart." she finishes awkwardly, and turns her gaze back.

11. Likes Cayce liked this post

Takeda Katsumi

NOS
    PRE

Fascinating to know that she had read at least a portion of the truth when she'd named the other Kindred a Water Demon. True, the other woman's actions had hinted very strongly at it, but it was still worth noting that there was something deeper than a mere proclivity for the water in her nature.

"There might be shame in our blood,"
    Katsumi replied after a moment, "but there is also strength to be found there, too, strength that we can use to achieve our purpose. There is also a strength in names, and so I beg your forgiveness for not having honored the name that you chose. I shall make great effort to ensure that I do not disgrace it by mangling it with my tongue. Though, I am curious, what made you choose that name, above all others? There is also a tradition of re-naming within my country, though the names are always chosen for the meaning that they carry. Is it the same for you?"

Niamh Sionnaigh
    Presence
    (On The Periphery)
    Lilting Irish Accent
    Blood Potency
    Staus
    (Criminals)
    Allies/Contacts
    (Street)
    Niamh Sionnaigh

Unbound Gangrel

PRE

"Aye." Niamh nods, "There is strength there, enough to continue to propel us forward."

A nod, "It wasn't so much a renaming but a rediscovery. Niamh is Nieve, but older. With more power to it. It means 'bright'." a smile, muddy waters reflecting memory. "Sionnaigh...isn't quiet a name. I've left a little off, but it comes from Sionnach. Which is 'fox'. So you have been calling me by my name, just in a tongue we both understand."

"As to why I chose it...well...the fox not only in my culture but cultures the world over, they are cunning, clever tricksters. I've heard stories of them being tied to kenning, knowing. To luck good, of ill, to done tales, the weather, and to shape shifting." the Gangrel smiles, "And before the name changed and marriages were had, my family each and all claimed Ó Sionnaigh as their clan."

"I know your surname is the first to leave your mouth, and name of a clan spanning centuries, or longer still. But if your given name, did you choose it for yourself? Or is it the same you wore as you lived?"

14. Likes Cayce liked this post

Takeda Katsumi

NOS
    PRE

"You speak the truth. In my country the fox is called Kitsune. Clever and deceitful, Kitsune are tricksters and shapeshifters that can never be trusted, though their tricks do often help others to gain the wisdom they are lacking. I am curious, Niamh Sionnaigh, if that will be true for you, as well," Katsumi commented, her voice friendly even if her eyes were not.

"As for my name, no, it is not one that I chose. My parents gave it to me when I first came screaming into the world. 'Victorious Beauty', they called me. A name more inspired by hope than by truth, I'm afraid. Though there are many types of beauty."

Katsumi trailed off, thinking back to the most beautiful moment of her life, the image of scarlet crescents arcing out across fresh snow still so clear in her mind...

"I may love my parents, I may shed tears of blood at their memory, but there is a saying that I keep close to my heart: 'when you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. When you meet your parents, kill your parents.' For those who still have a pulse, this is metaphorical. For the Kindred, I believe it becomes more literal. The path I walk is not to Enlightenment. The path I walk is the path to Hell. Are you comfortable knowing this?"

It was a frank question, though Katsumi knew it needed to be asked. For all their talk of the past, they would be wise not to let it blind them to the present.

16. Likes liked this post

Niamh Sionnaigh
    Presence
    (On The Periphery)
    Lilting Irish Accent
    Blood Potency
    Staus
    (Criminals)
    Allies/Contacts
    (Street)
    Niamh Sionnaigh

Unbound Gangrel

PRE

"I think...you will need to teach me your tongue so I will stop slaughtering your language upon mine." she said as another unfamiliar word appears, one for fox that she wishes not to butcher. "In truth, I need my wits for whichever scheme I might concoct, but to also leave behind lessons of wisdoms...that is something worth doing."

Niamh didn't know if fostering hopes of beauty on your child was right, there were more thing in this world far more important in Niamh's eyes.

"Aye, there are many kinds if beauty," said agreeably, "Though victory, this I know you have. You continue without your Sire, you are Unconquered, victories both."

Niamh should have expected something if this nature from the murderously aura'd Haunt, but it still surprises the fox, "We are dead things, unnatural to the order of life and death. Heaven is barred from us, the only path open is to that of hell....only we, we have a very long time to damn ourselves further."

18. Likes Cayce liked this post
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread