Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Omnia Mutantur

THREADID
    J
    Josef

Everything changes. This was especially obvious in the fall, when the changing leaves and winds brought a reminder that everything had an expiration date - except the Kindred, of course. They were eternal, unchanging and every clutching the power that they seized. This was perhaps the one thing that the Movement could agree on - that something needed to change, and this was why Josef had left the note that he did, asking that other member of the Carthian Movement to please meet him, at this particular park in the inner city, on this day, at this time.

If anyone else showed up, it was no matter - this was merely the first of many meetings, and a chance to talk, to put a face to the name, and to simply connect. There would be loads of things to do, things to say, and plans to put in motion. The revolution did not conduct itself.

Josef was sitting on a bench in plain view. He would let his beast do the work, to scout, to find that other kindred with whoom he shared a bond, an alliegance. Clad in a grey coat, casual shirt, vest and jeans, he had made an effort to not stand out - to blend in, but perhaps the fiery red hair, and the straight back of an aristocrat gave him away? Time would tell. He leaned back into the creacking bench, and watched for movement. The night was dark, but the lights of the city was not far away -and besides, their kind was born for the night.
    Cadence Behr

C
    Cadence Behr

Cadence had thrown on a slightly more formal outfit for this, unsure who this new Carthian arrival was that was leaving notes. Part of her wondered if this was a trap. Goddess knows, she's heard enough bad mouthing of the Carthians in this town to be worried that someone is holding a grudge. There was a whisper she had heard of a new face in town, but she wasn't really in the loop, having just arrived herself. So it was in a crisp black suit with a white button up and no tie that the Anarchist cautiously made her way into the park, ready to bolt at any moment.

At first, she didn't notice anything. But then: an unmistakable sinking in her stomach, a panic rising behind her eyes. There was a man on a bench not far from where she stood, and he would be an unassuming man to any other bystander. But Cadence was no ordinary bystander. As she felt her legs threatening to buckle under her, the heat on her back of a stronger predator slowing her every motion, she nonetheless began to approach him, stopping well short of the bench he was on.

For several uncomfortable seconds she just stood there, struggling with her Beast. Trouble was, her conscious mind could come up with no valid reason not to be scared. This was a complete stranger. The note might as well have been anonymous. This town hated Carthians. Run, you fuckin' idiot.

And finally, two words, with all the confidence she can muster (and maybe slightly more suspicion than she had intended), "Hello, comrade."

J
    Josef

Josef stood as soon as he felt it. That tinkling of something that he wanted to rip open with his bare hands. That feeling of a runt encroaching on his space – but, when he stood, he donned his most slick smile, and tried to put the best foot forth. “Evening” He paused, eyeing the stranger “Sister”, he added, trying to ease the tension. “Such a pleasure to finally meet a kindred spirit” he grinned, winking at her.

As he stretched out his hand for a shake, a small voice in the back of his mind told him to crush her hand in his – to simply get it over with, and bend her will to his – The revolution would come much sooner, if only she would obey. His clarity of mind cut through, though, and he remained calm. Almost gentle. This was an important night. They needed to catch up, to exchange information, and, most importantly, to build that speck of trust, that was vital in their future dealings.

Whether she took the hand or not, he nodded in the direction of the small lit path that stretched through the park. “Care for a stroll?” He asked, trying not to sound commanding.

C
    Cadence Behr

Slowly, very slowly, Cadence took a few steps forward and grasped the Lord's hand in her own, giving a brief, firm shake. She did her best to smile cordially, she knew how important manners and niceties could be to him and his family. Lords in the Movement always struck her as odd, aristocratic in manners but often the most fervent in conviction, a sort of rebellious bourgeoisie in her mind. It made them great allies just as easily as it made them liabilities, in the Anarchist's estimation. It didn't help that every Carthian was different, and she wasn't yet sure what his ideological leanings were. For now, however, she nodded politely at his suggestion and began to walk beside him.

"So, comrade, it appears we find ourselves in an interesting position, eh? New to a city that has a bad history with us, or so I've heard. May I ask, what brought you to Sacramento? I imagine we both have a story to tell," and it's as good a place as any to begin
    ​she thought to herself.

J
    Josef

A firm handshake, he noted, and could not help but be impressed. This waif seemed scared, and with good reason - he remembered how the beast had felt, and the few times it came to him in this way, he trembeled like any neonate. This was how it had been always. As she asked, he listened for her voice, trying to place the accent - American, that was for sure, but apart from that, he could not decipher the subtle intonations and rhytms.

As she asked, he nodded - she wanted to build trust, and he would gladly be the first to tell his story... Or atleast, a version of it. "I am originally from Europe, a part of the First Estate there, for many years... a few decades, perhaps. It all changed with the great war and the aftermath of that. I joined the Movement due to certain ideological differences with the Estate - and I have been a proud member ever since. I am a member of the Ventrue bloodline, if I did not mention this, and I have come to this new world, because I heard that this city was in dire need of reinforcements." He chuckeled "And, from talking to Seneschal Hart, it seems the rumors about us were correct. That's a first..."

He thought it was a funny joke. Perhaps a bit too dry and dull? No, she would get it. She seemed like a smart girl.

C
    Cadence Behr

As they walked, the Anarchist listened, occasionally nodding politely to indicate he had her attention. The last comment made her chuckle. "Well, you've come a great deal farther than I have, then. I've arrived recently from Fresno, where I was originally recruited to the Movement. Forgive my saying, but you are quite old to be among our ranks, and a former member of the First Estate at that ..." As she is talking, Cadence watches Josef's reaction to this. She isn't trying to accuse him, simply gauging his reaction. It was true that older vampires tended to be treated with caution in the Movement, but it was his former First Estate affiliations that gave her pause. Should she reveal to him their shared background?

After a moment's pause, her serious demeanor broke and she gave the Lord a warm, teasing smile. "I apologize, it's been so long since I've gotten to speak with a comrade. You'll indulge me poking fun a bit, won't you? I always thought that a certain ease of conversation was a great appeal, especially after the strict manners of speech enforced in the First Estate. Took me years before I got the hang of it."

Those last words, she let hang there. It was up to him to pick up on it and ask questions. But as the only other Carthian in town, he might be the only help she can turn to if her past caught up to her. So she had to take this chance, to discuss her exodus from Fresno, and the sire she spurned...

J
    Josef

When he heard that his joke had hit the right spot, a sly smile crept across his lips. There was something joyful here, in this first of meetings. When she commented on his age he nodded, acknowledging her concerns. "The Estate was good to me, for some time - but the more time you spend in that orgainsation, the more you realise that certain elements are... problematic, and need to be realigned to the proper order of things." He paused, gauging her reaction - perhaps she was of some destructive bent, merely wishing to burn the whole system to the ground? Time would tell.

"Why yes of course, not a problem at all. We have much work to do for the cause - our reputation would be one such problem." Josef grinned, and refrained from commenting on her past association with the Invictus. His eyes were knowing, as she told him - he knew exactly what she was talking about, but he would not prod the subject further. That was for a different time - in a month, a year or a decade, when they had grown closer.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Over a month and no response for days... Scene Ends

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.