Ended
Watch

Totem and Pack Stuff

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
    Z
    Zyl

Actually the Sacramento Rail Yards look pretty cool. Adjacent to a Stadium and a number of green spaces and the Sacramento City College. Maybe one or both of those are 'growing' into? Curtis Park is directly north. I should read up on it a bit more. I think the whole 'area' is considered Curtis Park. Huh?

With the College so close, Odie might transfer to be closer to Pack territory. EDD_Development_CURTISPARK.jpg

We'll see how that pans out. This is the right Rail yard, right? Looks like it's very green friendly.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

I was thinking of the Amtrak station (Sacramento Station) just north of Downtown and close to the historic area.

Just south and east of the place is the Golden 1 Centre which is another new stadium.

The Alkali Flat area is to the east.

It another area that is being completely redeveloped.

0 Scenes

I was thinking it Sacramento Station too. Lot of history, lots of people, liking the Sacramento Railyards Project, and the continual construction as well.

Chris Laurent
    Langdom
    Chris Laurent

Irraka Blood Talon
    Langdon

Chris does have 1 dot in Totem so far.

5. Likes liked this post

0 Scenes

Awesome sauce! 5 dots confirmed

Z
    Zyl

I did these a couple days ago when we had talked about which station we were planning to use. Then I went to sleep and forgot to post them.

http://www.wolf.org/wolf-info/basic-...nfo/wolf-faqs/

Based on the premise of existing wolf territory ranges. In Alaska/Canada wolf ranges can be around 1000 sq. mls. Closer to civilization they are naturally much smaller. Observations of Red Wolves in NE North Carolina is in the neighborhood of 38-something to 87 sq mls.

That works out to be territories with a radius of about 3.5 to 5.25 mils. Certainly such territories would rarely, if ever, be circular in nature but it gives a general idea.

(That's 7-10.5 mls in diameter, with perimeters in the neighborhood of 22-33 mls)

So, with these numbers in mind. The lower range most especially, I applied that observation to the area around The Amtrak Railway Station. The one north of Downtown. To the north and west there are serious rivers which seem a good natural boundary. Like wise along the south and east are major highways which seem like excellent boundary markers. Very definitive. The greatest diagonal in this vaguely squarish area is about 4.5 mls. I set a walking path going from opposite corners from the NE to the SW where highways and rivers joined. That's about what I got. It's probably much closer to 4 miles as the crow flys.

Core Territory.jpg

So the perimeter of this vaguely squarish area is about 13.2 mls, well below the range of our more woodsy cousins living between human inhabited territories. I would offer this as a proposal of the pack's initial territory.

As the pack grows stronger we may wish to look immediately past the river along the norther edge. The is relative huge swath of green. Not exactly forest lands like out east of Sacramento but a choice piece of territory for nature loving wolves. It extends further east and so we might consider a different highway as our Eastern Border at that point. That distant future point. Additional, the Zoo south of the initially proposed territory seems like something to consider. This is all in the nature of brainstorming. Sadly there is a serious cemetery immediately south of the initially proposed highway boundary which might be a hook for drama of some sort.

It has an estimated perimeter of less than 27 miles. That map utility had it's own ideas. My proposal for a stronger, established pack is to just include the great strip on the other side of the river. An interesting note: The are several green ways and stretch into the city east that parallels it on this side. cutting north and to the east off the map. Great wolf runs, I would think. Pretty sure they parallel adjacent rail roads. Just a guess though. Don't bet any money on that. Could be power line trails or both. Pretty sure I saw rail tracks when I zoomed in.

Proposed Extended Territory.jpg

Lastly I include a closer look at the Rail Yard's area. Along the West is a major roadway running along the river, Immediately north past the construction area is the water treatment area (which if it's anything like the one's I've encountered in rl is probably smelly and a potential issue for scenting wolves, at least initially) to the South is a major road system, apart from the construction area on the other-side is the Station in use for mass transit. TO the east is a healthy sized city street.

Sacramento Railyards.jpg

From the map it looks roughly 1000 ft from the construction site/rail yards to the Amtrak Station south. Maybe a little less, but not by too much.

Also on several of these maps you might note a History Museum near by. I believe one of the focuses of that Museum is the Transcontinental Railroad, which at one point may have ended or at least passed through this very site. Just noting the site the pack has chosen has historical significance. I think. I did this a couple hours past my bedtime.

A final world of this Construction Project. There are issues with the homeless as well as gangs and civic projects to deal with both. Numbers of the homeless range 2-3 thousand (closer to 2 than 3) though I didn't look at gang numbers just that it was listed as a major issue the project was addressing.

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/City-Manager/Major-Projects/Railyards-Project

This is what is happening in rl Sacramento. How much we incorporate in our storytelling is a whole nother matter way past my pay grade. It's just interesting stuff I found and thought to share if there's any interest.

Testing this function to see how it works. Please ignore.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

That is really AWESOME Zyl

Something I will be taking account of next time I cook up a plot

Good work!

Fun fact: the base territory you describe matches up with an old pack territory from way back - almost exactly. As a person who was playing Wolf back then, I think that is really cool!

9. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread