Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(Paper Trail) Dark Materials

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Out past Sacramento Airport on the northern fringes of the city there is a trunk road. If one persevered and travelled down its chipped and pitted length, one would find that the trail leads to a forgotten property framed by farming country and the thin, oily black, ribbon of the Sacramento River. It is a wild property, with riotous growth slowly tearing through the barbed-wire and chain-link fence; long neglected, its very gates are missing, presenting a dangerous invitation to any who might come by. Standing proud by the gate is a crumbling sign, now grotesquely tagged - this is the property of the Hopkins & Ponting Holding Company.

Who would have thought?

The air beyond the gate is stagnant and foetid as the terrible vegetation breathes in the last, lingering, warmth of summer. This vegetable scent has a new bite to it. It may have been many months, but the scent of gasoline, charred wood and plastic still linger like ghosts. For at the heart of this private domain lie the burned bones of a once impressive wooden house.

In front of the house, where once a gravel drive circled an ornamental pond, are two cars and a small gathering. The pond is still there but now its little more than a foetid hole in the ground, colonised by lush and fragrant flowers.

Radzinksy the hunchback is unmistakable. He carries a brief case snug under his arm. Two thugs (a man and a woman in a coat) are acting as his muscle tonight - a simple gesture that he is not unprotected. Across from him is a rangy mess of a young man with shoulder length, raven hair; he might have been beautiful once but addiction and dissipation have scarred him. His hands are thrust in his pockets, hidden by the folds his oversized hooded jumper. The hood is down to set his hair free.

In the gloom it appears that Radzinsky is leering.

Robert Cross @unlimted_sink Parable Kenneth Gilroy Cynthia Weiss Deltaomega

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

As arranged, Cross picks Gilroy and Cynthia up at the above ground haven. His Town Car smells faintly, but perceptibly, of scorched hair and seared flesh.

He gives them both a nod of greeting when they climb into the vehicle, but largely keeps quiet as he pulls away from the curb and for the first few minutes of the ride. The only sound in the car is the Mingus track playing softly on the car stereo.

Finally, he speaks: "So, I'm not sure what to expect. This guy, Radzinsky, I don't trust him." He's talking without looking at them. His eyes stay on the road. His hands grip the steering wheel. The orange glow of street lights washes over him in waves. "So here's the deal: Kenneth, you're my appraisal guy. I'll ask for you to look over the book. It just has to seem official, you know?"

A pause.

"And Cynthia. I'm going to call you my assistant. But I want you there to help me with the negotiation. You've got a better...touch with that stuff than me." At least that's what he'd seen at their meeting with the Alchemists.

"What this hump wants is money. And I have a little. But if it's not enough, there are other ways. If things go sideways, though, I want you both back in the car and gone. Don't wait for me." This last bit is directed to Gilroy: "I'll give you the keys before we approach."

They're getting close now, just enough time to wrap up their talk and get the show on the road.

ToS Rolls

Equipment: 9mm (ToS), Hunting Knife (ToS), $2000 cash, cell phone on vibrate, shotgun in duffel bag (left in vehicle)

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Gilroy stood looking forlorn on the street curb. Like a drenched rat waiting for a passing log to cling to. Even as unappealing a log as the cinder smelling car that Cross drove.

Kenneth got in. The knife he'd been nervously fingering vanished as the Worm slid it into the sheath on his belt. Literally.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-09-24 17:18:22 Kenneth Gilroy rolls 7 to Wits+Larceny+Obfuscate (10 Again) 2, 10, 6, 8, 7, 3, 10, 6, 1 3 successes

He sat silently until Cynthia was picked up. Then the preplanning (short as it was) began.

"To clarify: my inspection must seem official or the book must?" Pronouns could be frustratingly ambiguous. It made sense to be talking about the inspection but he had to be sure. Whether they were more interested in getting Radzinsky or getting the book.

Kenneth was about to argue about abandoning Robert but he kept silent.

Equipment: Smart phone, khukri
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Presence
    (Confident)
    Striking Looks
    (Hot Goth)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquillity)
    New Identity
    (Elise White)
    Cynthia Weiss

Nosferatu Curse:
    The fowl scent of toxic chemicals follow Cynthia wherever she goes. Everything from Ammonia to Sulphur seems to cling to her.

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

The moment Cynthia got in the car started to develop a strange, sharp scent that seemed to compete with Roberts charred smell. Her appearance was more dressed down with a hoodie and a pair of jeans, though her preference for black was still broadcasted for anyone paying attention. A pair of chrome knuckle dusters, which might as well be none existent to anyone looking for them as they went into her pockets. Not much good against Kindred but they could do plenty of damage to anyone that breathed.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-09-25 01:15:05 Cynthia Weiss rolls 6 to ToS (Wits 2+ Larceny 1 + Obfuscate 3) (10 Again) 9, 3, 9, 5, 6, 1 2 successes

The artist sat with her eyes on the road while she listened to the plan. She glanced over to the Charred Deputy. "So what are you planning if things go bad exactly?" She asked. "No offence but we are very good at getting people to hate us on sight and... Well best to prepare for the worse." Details were always good, moreso when it came to clandestine meetings at night.

Equipment: Knuckledusters (ToS), Smartphone (Silent)

6. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

(Heightened Senses)Vitae 0 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

Gilroy's question brings a small smile to Cross's lips. Always a stickler for details. The Burned Man likes that about the Worm.

"Both. Do your best to verify that this text is what they say it is. Old book, 17th century. Printed in Prague, but written in german. Should be watermarked to that effect. Still, I want it either way. Even if it is a fake. And of course, play the role of the scholar." He pauses, his smile becoming a grin before vanishing completely. "Shouldn't be too hard." Gilroy is, after all, just that.

Cynthia's questions, on the other hand, are met with a frown. "Well, that's simple. Violence. With extreme prejudice, as they say in the movies." It could be a joke, if he wasn't obviously serious. "Thing is, I have no intention of letting that book get away from us. And I'm willing to do all sorts of...things to make sure that doesn't happen." He pauses for a beat. "Doesn't mean I want you two getting caught up in all that, though." As far as people despising their family goes? "Radzinsky dealt with me pleasantly enough at our first meeting. He's not exactly the picture of health himself. And he's more interested in making money than anything else. Hopefully that keeps things civil." Or civil enough.

They're pulling up the drive now and Cross calls on his blood to heighten his senses, the better to pick out every detail of the scene waiting for them. As he pulls slowly toward the waiting Breathers, he scans the area with supernaturally sharp eyes, sitting forward in the driver's seat.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-09-25 09:10:59 Robert Cross rolls 6 to Wits3+Comp3 (10 Again) 7, 9, 4, 8, 2, 6 2 successes

"You two ready?" He sure as hell hopes so, because this is happening one way or another.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Gravel snarls and crunches as the car comes to a halt. Radzinksy appears to nod and gestures for Cross and company to join him. The ragged young man simply turns his head and stares. Sniffing loudly he turns his attention back onto the hunchback but he does shuffle to the right. The two thugs remain impassive, their stance stiffening - and then easing somewhat - as the Kindred spill from the car.

When Cross makes his way over to the meeting, he doesn't detect anything out of place apart from a whiff of brimstone seeping over from where the raggedy youth stands.

"Glad you came," the Hunchback says wryly.

"Yeah. Can we get on, now?" The young man sounded bored - jaded bored - yet he twitched like an addict. He was also shameless fascinated by the Burned Man's scars.

Radzinksy grunted. "All in good time. You are here to bid for a book.... Its here, with me. You already know what it is. You've had chance to check the facsimiles I made up. Monster hunting almanac. 1614. Prague. Mint condition with watermarks. I... eh... vouch for its authenticity."

"Well. Yah." The young man switched to a pose, scratched his hair. "Can we see it first. Proof, you know. Or something?"

"Of course." Radzinksy struggled with the briefcase. Eventually he was assisted by one of his bodyguards. The case was opened and the book (an authentic looking grimoire of a thing) was professionally presented.

The youth does not laugh or chuckle at the dance between the thug and the hunchback. Instead he slips his hands from his pockets and fishes out a cheap pair of plastic gloves.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Gravel snarls and crunches as the car comes to a halt. Radzinksy appears to nod and gestures for Cross and company to join him. The ragged young man simply turns his head and stares. Sniffing loudly he turns his attention back onto the hunchback but he does shuffle to the right. The two thugs remain impassive, their stance stiffening - and then easing somewhat - as the Kindred spill from the car.

When Cross makes his way over to the meeting, he doesn't detect anything out of place apart from a whiff of brimstone seeping over from where the raggedy youth stands.

"Glad you came," the Hunchback says wryly.

"Yeah. Can we get on, now?" The young man sounded bored - jaded bored - yet he twitched like an addict. He was also shameless fascinated by the Burned Man's scars.

Radzinksy grunted. "All in good time. You are here to bid for a book.... Its here, with me. You already know what it is. You've had chance to check the facsimiles I made up. Monster hunting almanac. 1614. Prague. Mint condition with watermarks. I... eh... vouch for its authenticity."

"Well. Yah." The young man switched to a pose, scratched his hair. "Can we see it first. Proof, you know. Or something?"

"Of course." Radzinksy struggled with the briefcase. Eventually he was assisted by one of his bodyguards. The case was opened and the book (an authentic looking grimoire of a thing) was professionally presented.

The youth does not laugh or chuckle at the dance between the thug and the hunchback. Instead he slips his hands from his pockets and fishes out a cheap pair of plastic gloves.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

(Heighten Senses (all))Vitae 0 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

German. There were just too many languages and so far he’d only mastered Latin and English. Granted English was part of the Germanic language tree but that wouldn’t help too much with this sort of analysis. At least if he’d know modern German he could look for anachronistic phrases or words within the text. Instead he’d have to rely on other methods. Kenneth began trying to organize possible questions to ask and clues to sniff out. He got out his smart phone a made some cursory searches. Book printing, Prague, major 17th century events, manuscript dating. There wasn’t a lot of time and he found he was mostly looking for key words to trigger already existing knowledge.

He nodded Cross and with a deliberate breath, Gilroy squirmed in his seat and out of the car.

"I apologize but I'll need a little more than your word," the worm said with disgusting insufferability. He slunk forward with his hands behind his back. Leaning over the tomb with serious intent. His mind still working to bring up relevant facts. While his thoughts squirted from subject to subject, he idly moved the blood in his veins. Sensitizing it to the smallest vibration of the rustle of pages, the slightest whiff of musty book smell.

"Was it found in Prague? Is it's timeline known?" It would help if the book had moved. Just sitting in a sealed vault or crypt was great for preservation but it didn't leave much in way of certain clues that could help tie it to past events. Kenneth wished they could take the tomb back to the university and run some tests but that seemed unlikely.

Topical knowledge 3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-09-28 21:59:57 Kenneth Gilroy rolls 6 to Int+Academics+1 Internet-2 obscure (10 Again) 8, 9, 9, 6, 5, 1 3 successes
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

11. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post

Presence
    (Confident)
    Striking Looks
    (Hot Goth)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquillity)
    New Identity
    (Elise White)
    Cynthia Weiss

Nosferatu Curse:
    The fowl scent of toxic chemicals follow Cynthia wherever she goes. Everything from Ammonia to Sulphur seems to cling to her.

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

Cynthia's eyebrow quirked up as more info on the book was revealed. "Well I speak and read German. Guess its a good thing you brought me." The haunt commented as the car pulled up. "I can help if you need it." She had no idea if Gilroy spoke the language. The church had an almost annoying amount of scholars with an interest in linguistics. None the less the moment the car stopped she was already unbuckling herself from her seat and ducking outside Cross's car.

The Artist followed behind the Worm, trying her best to project an aura of confidence and certainty. Although it seemed a artificially sweet yet musty aroma was intermingling with that. She tried her best to catch a few glimpses at the books pages. Maybe see if it really did have ways of exterminating them. For the most part though, she remained silent.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"Very good," the Burned Man says to Cynthia, a surprised smile on his lips if only for a moment. "Feel free to examine the text with Gilroy."

And with that, he parks the car and gets out, leaving the doors unlocked and even popping the trunk. Though he doesn't go back there. Not yet. He slips the keys to Gilroy when they are walking to the waiting Breathers.

To the hunchback. "Mr. Radzinky. We wouldn't miss this opportunity." Not sarcastic, but not enthused either. "These are my associates. They will help me judge the authenticity of the book."

His attention turns to the twitchy youth. The stare is returned. But nothing more is said.

When the bodyguards step forward with the item in questions, Cross takes the opportunity to examine them closely. Trying to gauge their capability. Are they armed? Do they carry themselves as people experienced in a fight?

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-09-30 09:11:11 Robert Cross rolls 6 to Wits3+Comp3 (10 Again) 2, 6, 5, 6, 1, 10, 6 1 success

Cross gives a nod to Gilroy when he steps forward to examine the book. And then one to Cynthia, signaling that she should join the Worm as he looks over the object.

And then he waits, to see what comes of their inspection.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread